0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

 

 1,295 words     

                                   

                                          A Prayer Beyond the Grave


           George pressed the call button and said, "Mrs. Whitfield, you have another visitor."

           Mrs. Whitfield had another long, tiring day at the office and promised herself this visitor would be her last one today. She couldn't wait to soak in her new hot tub. She could almost feel the bubbles bubbling around her body, causing her desire to crave for that good feeling.

           When the man walked in all she could do was stare at him speechless. She told herself she saw this man before, but he appeared in her mind as a blur. As she continued staring her thoughts took her back when she got married. It was the happiest time of her life. She had a beautiful wedding with a wonderful Christian man. He loved her beyond words, creating the same love she had for him. He would do anything for her as well as, she for him. They were looking to have a long happy life together. They were too young to think anything would ever happen to break them apart, but eight months later their life came to a sudden stop.

           It was one stormy night ten years ago while she was waiting and watching for Ty to get home. Never had he been this late before. It was thundering and lightning and the rain was falling in such big drops she could hear it hitting the window. It was hard to even see across the street. Then the telephone rang and she rushed to answer it. She didn't like the feeling she was having. It was the hospital telling her Ty had an accident and she'd better come to the hospital if she wanted to see him alive.

           All the way to the hospital she wiped her tears. She knew if she lost him, she would never be the same.

           Why? She wondered, Why! Is God doing this? He was a wonderful man. She felt he was a gift from God when they married.

She was still crying when she arrived at the hospital. Seeing him, lying there hooked up in all kinds of wires, she could hardly bare it.

           "Please Baby, don't leave me! We need you. You are all I have and Darling I’m having your baby." Barb held his hand and rubbed his forehead. She just could not hold back the tears as she watched him slowly drift away. The peeper machine played tricks with her mind. It seemed to be slowing down more and more.

           She will never forget that night 10 years ago when she lost the only man she ever loved. She will always carry the scar from the time she watched Ty slip away. They nearly had to pier her from Ty’s side after he took his last breath.

           This man standing in front of her reminded her of Ty, but she knew it couldn't be.

           "Mrs. Whitfield, are you okay?" The stranger wove his hand in front of her.

           "Oh, I'm so sorry," she apologized, "I was just thinking how much you remind me of someone I knew before."

           He knew exactly what she was talking about.

           As he went to take a seat he said, Mrs. Whitfield, I'm here to tell you a story,”

He stared at her not knowing just how to start, “Remember ten years ago when you got married?"

           With gathered brows she listened without a word.

           "You were only married for a short time, right."

           "Yes, eight months," Her eyes filled with tears.

           The man passed her a Kleenex.

           "Sorry Ma but, I'm not here to make you cry."

           "No, but I still miss him so much. When I’m in my quietest moments, it’s worse. This is why I work so hard to keep my mind off him."

           "The gazebo was so beautiful and that was where the wedding took place. It was a beautiful day. The sky was so clear, and the birds sang so sweet. Then shortly after, he got in an accident because of a big storm and later died. He hit a large tree because he couldn't see to drive because of the rain, right? He knew you would be worried about him so he was hurrying home."

           "How do you know all this? Were you at the wedding?"

           He looked at her and paused a moment. "This is the story I came to tell you. Letting you know how and why I know all this," He reached out his hand to her as he stood.

           "My name is Ty Whitfield."

           Mrs. Whitfield’s eyes grew big, but why would he have the same name her husband had? You hear it all the time. People having the same name, as someone else.

           The stranger stood again and slowly walked toward the big picture window with his hands in his pockets. He turned to look at her and said, "Mrs. Whitfield, "I have something I want and need to tell you and I know you're not going to believe this."

           She was already wondering why he would come to her office to tell her anything? He had nothing to do with her husband. Was he Ty's long-lost brother and using his name, or was he playing with her? Wanting her to believe he was her Ty and he came back from the dead?

           "We got married ten years ago, and eight months after I had an accident."

           Her eyes grew large. She frowned and her eyes began to fill with tears though she thought this man was crazy and said, "What is this all about?"

           "Let me continue. I died and went to Heaven."

           "So, you want me to believe that?" She said in doubt.

           "You know Jesus has a tender heart, right? And time to Him means nothing."

           "Yes, but what are you getting at?"

           "One day in Heaven He came to me and said, "Ty, you have to go back to earth." I couldn't understand why. He looked at me with tears in His eyes and said, "I want you to go back to earth for Mrs. Whitfield. I will give you two a good life. She has been crying off and on for 10 years and it hurts to see her be that way. She has been so faithful to Me, So I want to send you back to her, and your son."

           “My son?” Ty asked. “I was so happy and couldn’t wait to come.” 

           It was hard for Mrs. Whitfield to believe so she thought of something. "Could you please unbutton your shirt? She wanted to see if his scares where the doctor had operated on him for his heart were still there, but that wasn't enough. Let me see farther up on your chest. When she saw, 'I will love Barb forever'. She began to cry and ran to him and she hugged him for a long minute.

           "You are my Ty. I have missed you so much."

           "I know Jesus told me all about it." Ty told her.

           Ty and Barb had a wonderful life together. They will be missed but they both were very happy. They had asked that when they died, they wanted to be buried together.         Their son made sure their wish was granite, and what a funeral that day. There were tears of joy for Mr. and Mrs. Whitfield. Though they hated to see them go because everyone cared them very much. You could also hear the angels sing, and Jesus rumbled overhead letting them know He was satisfied with Ty's obedience to do His will and Mrs. Whitfield for never forgetting to bring Ty’s son up remembering the promise she made to Ty. That she will take their son to church as long as she lived.

February 07, 2020 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.