Would You Rather...

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Myles and Jessica Whitaker wander around the small comic book store, gazing through the different styles and types. Realizing it is dim in the room, Myles realizes the huge window at the front is tinted. ‘It probably protects the comics from the sun,’ he thinks. As he thumbs through the comic casings, he smiles a the irony of the situation. He and his twin sister, Jessica don’t even own a comic book. One of their close friends suggested getting one yesterday for their 21st birthday, which just so happens to be today.  

“I’m so thankful it’s summer break,” Jess says as she slides up to him and starts flipping through the different comics. “I am looking forward to heading back to college in the fall, though. What about you?”

“I’m glad for the breather too, Sis,” he mutters, his mind more on the task of choosing out one to take home.  

No one else is in the store and they take their time looking around. At the checkout, the cashier is too busy reading the merchandise to pay them any attention, which is fine with them. Jess seems drawn to strong women as the heroine while he is more interested in the type of hero rather than their abilities. When Myles finds an origin comic for Ironman, he is intrigued and snaps it up. Jess pours over most of the women comics before finally picking one.  

“Think I’ll go with this one about the origin of Storm,” she says, showing him the cover. “She can kick booty and look awesome while doing it. I admire her character already.” Jess’s smile is contagious so Myles just smiles back and shakes his head at her. As they start to walk to the register, the door opens causing the bell to jingle loudly getting all attention toward it. At the checkout, the cashier coughs into his hand and takes a step back, but with a friendly smile on his lips. Entering the shop, a figure wearing dark clothes and hair walks up behind the twins.

“Welcome back Sir,” he says. “I have your order ready and waiting.”

“I believe these two were here ahead of me,” he says smiling. “Let them check out first.”

“Thanks,” Jess replies, smiling in return. Facing the cashier, she asks “Are these good ones? We’ve never bought them before and wanted to treat ourselves for our birthday today.” 

“Well, Happy Birthday to you both!” says the mysterious man as he pulls out his wallet. “It’s my treat.” He hands the cashier his credit card. Jess and Myles have their jaws hanging open in surprise.  

“Thank you sir, but you don’t have to do that,” Myles says.  

“Don’t worry about it,” he replies. “Think of it as a pay it forward moment. Maybe someday you can help out other people.”

“Thank you so much,” Jess grins. “That’s very sweet of you.”  

“I hope your day is all that you want it to be and more,” he smiles as he retrieves his credit card and his order. As the twins look at each other, they hear the jingle of the bell over the door and the man is gone. As they turn back to say goodbye to the clerk, they notice that he keeps looking at them oddly.  

“Good luck,” the clerk whispers as they head out the door. Myles heard it, but keeps walking anyway.

With a fire in the fireplace roaring, the family room is cozy and warm. Decorated in country chic, the room makes all who enter feel welcomed. Jess sprawls out on her favorite spot with her comic, the oversize chair near the window. Myles, as always, sits on the couch facing the fire and starts to read his own.  Working on a huge puzzle at the dining room table, their parents playfully argue about who’s better at finding pieces that fit. Jess hears a noise just as she finishes hers.  

“I think I hear a car door Dad,” she calls out to her father.  

“We aren’t expecting anyone,” he says, walking over to the door and opening it before the visitor could even knock. Myles recognizes the man instantly since he’s met him while visiting his Dad’s work often.  

“Mr. Isaacson. Come in. I wasn’t expecting to see you today.”  

“There’s been an interesting legal development that I thought you should be aware of,” he says.  

“Kids, run along and get washed up for dinner,” Dad says. Mr. Isaacson clears his throat, interrupting.

“Actually, you might want to have them hear this since it involves them,” he informs them. After they all gather around the dining room table, he continues. “Do any of you remember a Jed Colson?” Everyone seems deep in thought for a few minutes.

“I think I do,” Jess smiles. “We used to help him out with yard work and other stuff when he lived down the road from us. I think he went to a nursing home or moved.”

“Now, I remember him too,” Myles agrees. “He was always so nice and tried to give us extra money, but we wouldn’t let him.”

“Well, he remembered you both,” he tells them. “He recently passed away. In his will, he named you both as beneficiaries to his estate.” Myles and Jess look at each other with wide eyes and then turn their attention to the lawyer again. “He was immensely wealthy and his holdings are worth millions.”

“What?” Jess squeaks. “He never acted like he was rich. He was always so nice. We enjoyed helping him out.”

“The estate’s executor has put cash into two trusts and set the businesses up to run under their boards until you guys make your final decisions about the holdings,” he tells them.  

“This is crazy,” says Dad. “He didn’t even really know the kids. Didn’t he have any family?”

“I checked into it before heading over and found that he had no family left,” the lawyer says. “He was mistreated at the nursing home where the state sent him after he had a massive stroke. Somehow, his identity was misconstrued and they thought he was on welfare. He’d had the will made up a year before he had the stroke when his doctor had warned him of several major health problems.”

“Thanks for letting us know about this so quickly,” Dad is saying as he shakes his hand. “I’ll let you know as soon as we figure out what we are going to do. I may need to contact you to get more information from you as well.”

“All of my research and the information I was given is in the envelope I gave you,” he smiles. “Let me know if you need anything else.” Mr. Isaacson makes a hasty retreat, waving as he drives away.  

“What a birthday present!” says Dad. “Guess dinner and your presents won’t come close to that.” Dad chuckles as they head into the kitchen to start the family dinner.

Around midnight, Jess lay in bed thinking of the huge news of their inheritance when a soft knock sounds at her door. Sitting up and saying “come in” softly, Myles tiptoes in and flops down in her comfy reading chair that sits next to the bed. He sighs in a big huff and looks over at her.

“You can’t sleep either?” she asks.  

“There’s no way!” he whispers. “Suddenly, we’re rich. I guess we’ll just have to get used to it.” He chuckles and Jess playfully smacks at him.  

“I feel sorry for Mr. Colson, though,” Jess says with a sad look in her eyes. “I really liked him and hate to think he was not treated well toward the end.” Myles nods in agreement. Light flashes suddenly outside the window causing Jess to violently start and let out a terrified squeak.  

“Not tonight,” she cries. “I hate storms with a passion. I’d love to be like heroine in the comic...Storm. She’s not afraid of lightning.”

“She can control it,” he tells her. “I bet that’s why she isn’t afraid. It obeys her.” Lightning flashes again with thunder sounding not long after. It’s moving in fast and sounds bad. Jess hides her face in her bent knees.

“I wish it would go away,” she sighs. “I just wish it would go away.” As she looks up at Myles, her eyes cloud over and turn completely white. He gasps and is immediately at her side, placing his hand on her shoulder.  

“Jess, Jess, are you alright?” he asks. Just as fast, her eyes clear staring right at him.  

“Of course I’m okay,” she says. “Wait...Listen.” Silence.  

“The storms gone,” Myles whispers.  

“Thank goodness,” she smiles. He looks at her oddly and leaves to come back minutes later carrying the two comics they’d received.  

“Jess, your eyes looked just like hers here a few minutes ago during the lightning,” he says as he points to a picture of Storm controlling the weather.  

“No way.” Her eyes widen in shock. “Powers and magic aren’t real.”  

“See if you can do something else,” he suggests. “Try getting a breeze to blow in here. With the windows shut, we’ll know if it’s you.” Focusing, she bows her head and closes her eyes to concentrate. Sure enough, a strong breeze starts flowing around the room. She feels it and lifts her head in time for him to see her eyes change back to normal.  

“I did it!” she squeaks excitedly. She stands up and looks out at the massive backyard. Her eyes cloud over again and it starts raining again.  

“That’s amazing!” he exclaims.  

“What was your comic about?” she asks grinning from ear to ear.  

“A rich playboy who makes metal suits and battles the bad guys,” he shrugs.  

“Did you say rich?” she asks. Realization dawns and he looks at her questioningly.

“It couldn’t be,” he says.  She shrugs this time. “Could it? What do you think we do now?” 

“All I know is that we are going to be collecting comic books the rest of our lives,” she smiles and her eyes light up with excitement.

“And we’ll do what the stranger said too,” he adds. “We’ll make sure to help others in need.”  

July 04, 2020 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.