0 comments

Drama Romance Friendship

Being Friends.

A Godfearing sailor, moved from the city of destiny to the city of the rising sun. His family adjusted well in a total new environment with new language. He moved with his parents and 17-year-old daughter Mihira. He lovingly called her Mira.

She was an intelligent girl. Easily cleared interviews and got selected in the best college for Hotel Management.

With some good and some bad days, they moved on. Soon, Mihira started her internship. Her disturbed routine, unwell grandparents, doing everything alone made her a tough girl. Soon she moved to another city. Lived with some other working women in a small apartment.

In new city she made variety of friends. Nara Ms. Baker, Editor Olaf, Painter Twinkle, Tech Yen and Doctor Jason, how can understand everyone’s feelings but overlooked his own. Mihira their secret scanner.

In the beginning, they meet by coincidences but later started meeting for parties, festivals and for reason unknown called Friendship.

One day while on the shift received a call - grandma is hospitalized. She rushed back. Her father came back from the ship. After two days grandma left her forever.

To cheer her up Jason invited her for Doctor’s Annual meet. More they spend time together more they become fond of each other. She started accompanying him for his hospital parties. In one such party while dancing. They got little cozy. She said I can’t do this. That eve ended up in their secret books. From that day never met alone.

Years passed……

One evening at café, Mihira wasn’t feeling well. Twinkle asked what happen? She said, from some days my stomach is troubling. Whenever they meet, she didn’t seem fine. So, Jason told her to meet his friend and Dr. Rose a Gastroenterologist. He booked her appointment.

When she reached, Dr. Rose clinic. After checking and discussing condition. Rose said, you better get your tests done. If you delay test, it will worsen your situation. Don’t blame me later.

Next day, she went for tests. She asked for Dr Jason Hanson and Dr. Rose. But both were busy. Her reports were really bad she tried to contact Jason but he didn’t pick up the phone. While checking her credit bills, she didn’t find her hospital and medicine bill. She called hospital to check. Receptionist mentioned, Dr Jason took care of it.

When they met gain, Mihira, asked Jason- can you get my Grandpa’s bill also waved off, as he is getting unwell very often. On which upset Yen said why don’t you get your whole country’s bill waved off. I got 30% discount she gets all free. This time you will pay full rent of the apartment as you have saved money.

On which tired Jason said, I came here to celebrated my promotion. And You guys are complaining. tell you about Olaf and Nurse Ash. But rather being thankful, you are accusing me. I can’t get any bills waved off. I did you a favor and you are saying to add grandpa also.

Pique Mihira said, Congratulations!! I didn’t ask for any favors. ‘Ash’ that egoistic nurse. Please don’t fall in her trap. I didn’t know that you got 30% off. I live with you it doesn’t mean I will pay complete bills pointing at Yen. What are you hiding?

We broke, Yen said. Everyone consoled her. Nara ordered a smile cake to cool out the moment.

While leaving Jason reminded Mihira, take medicine on time.

Mihira tests didn’t show improvement. Jason called everyone for Dinner. Nara asked Jason, I called you, but you didn’t pick up. He said, I didn’t get any or might have missed it. Yen teasing Miraya, what happen didn’t get discount.

Miraya said, you didn’t check about my health. You are bothered about discounts. On prescription doctor wrote reduce stress. But I think with you guys it will just be prescribed

Twinkle counselled and ordered drinks for everyone. Told Mihira why do you get aggressive. You know Yen.

Ash was calling Jason for dance again and again. Miraya said, you picked her or she picked you. Jason said, it is none of your concern. Ignoring him, danced and enjoyed with some other folks. And left alone.

While going back they saw Mihira on the station. She looked plodded. Nara asked her what happen. She said I felt suffocated and added I am sorry. I always ruin your meetings. Nara and Twinkle hugged her said No, don’t think like that. All of us have ruined meetings some times.

(From that day she avoided plans made by Jason)

After some days, stolid Mihira left Yen’s house and shifted to another flat. When they all planned to meet, Mihira got late. Jason’s friend Olaf also accompanied him. When she reached Yen lost her cool and started a fight.

Mihira said I am not in mood to fight; I am already bugged. She ordered her soup and started talking with Twinkle. Yen didn’t stop keep on calling her thankless. Making her so upset that she just left. Didn’t speak or contacted anyone after this for somedays.

After some days they all visited Mihira’s house to pay tribute to her grandpa. Mihira looked very sick but was happy for her promotion. Got hospitalized the next day.

Jason got a call from a hospital. Asking about her insurance number. Confused Jason asked who is hospitalized. Nurse said, Mihira Sastry. Her conidiation isn’t stable. Her father is panicking. Your number is mentioned in her emergency numbers. Jason asked for the address.

To confirm he called Mihira. Her father picked up the phone and said hello! Hermione, do you know her insurance details. Mira is hospitalized please help me. Jason said, I am not Herm… he understood Mihira has stored his name as Hermione.

He reached hospital with Olaf. Mihira looked all blue. Jason showed his Hospital ID and asked for her reports. Doctor showed her reports, her condition was serious. He called his hospital and got her moved. He consoled her father. He asked him to come along with them.

Olaf informed all other friends. All reached hospital. Yen screamingly said it’s my fault. I trouble her so much. I am sorry uncle.

Mr. Sastry emotionally said, Mira was a devotee of Lord Krishna; she was miraculously saved whenever she was attacked. Mr. Sastry told the story of Princess Mirabai and why she named her Mihira.

He added, she never discussed her matters with me. She felt lonely from the day her mother left us. After her grandma died, she came and cooked food for whole week, did all our laundry. We enjoyed having tea with Tiramisu late at night. Me and appa both waited for her off.

With folded hands went to Jason. Please save my Mira. She is world to me.

I am sorry to ask but What happened to her mother? Asked Nara. Mr. Sastry gave her a discontent smile. Do you know when is her birthday? All looked unaware.

Mr. Sastry said, it’s late, please go and take some rest. Jason told Olaf to take Mr. Sastry with him as Mr. Sastry lived far. Next morning when Mira got her conscious. She asked for her father. So, nurse called him inside. Jason came along with her father. Mihira was in pain with equipment connected. She smiled and said I am fine Appa. Please go home. I will call you and told him to have food.

Nurse told Mr. Sastry to wait outside. Jason went near her on which she turned her face. Turning back to him and she mumbled What you want now? I didn’t understand please speak again said Jason. I meet Hermione yesterday. Mihira said, oh! and said where were you? You know everything that is why I named you Hermione; not because you are good friend.

I called you million time before coming to the hospital, I have sent you many messages but they never got delivered. Why you moved me here. I would have managed. Nara and Yen also came in her room.

Wished her early recovery. Nara asked Jason, why didn’t you pick calls. He told Yen - check why I am not getting any calls. Yen searched for Mihira can’t find it. Jason said look for palpitation. Making him grin and Yen and Nara smile. Found her number blocked.

Doctor checked blocked number and found Nara, Twinkle and his mother’s numbers also blocked. Checked with Ash (assistant and made-up girlfriend). She cunningly smiled, he asked her again tell me the truth or be ready for consequences. Cried I blocked it. I didn’t know she will fall so ill.

He asked for her reports found her birthday was 3 days back. He felt pathetic and told others about her birthday. He was feeling disappointed with himself. To pod his fault. He got her moved in a better room with better view. And tea with Tiramisu. A note saying let’s be friends!!

Both laughed, had food, he got irritated, left, came back, got irritated, left again. Nurse asked her, why do you trouble him so much. He is a great doctor and a wonderful person. Patient called him God like. OH (with exclaim) he looks cute when irritated.

Both discussed about their families. Life back home. Why Jason is looking for new flat, how much they miss their mothers, why her father's only wish to marry in own community is a pressure? how difficult life was from past some months.

One night before leaving Jason went to meet Mihira. She wished him advance Happy Birthday. He blushed and said do you want to me stay. She smiled.

Olaf called Jason; he gave her phone to Mihira. On which she said, I didn’t stop him. Olaf said, yes, I told him to stay.

Ash to surprise reached Jason’s flat and others reached the hospital. Ash called Jason-I am waiting for you outside your flat. Where are you? With my friends in the hospital.

(Ash and Jason relation was in testing period)

After some days Mihira got discharged. Olaf reached hospital with bouquet. Mihira said Thank you. Please give my regards to all. Olaf said, Oh my God! Please don’t be so formal. I have come to pick you.

While dropping them back he took them to newly opened Nara Bakery. Everyone was waiting for her. They celebrate her belated Birthday. Mihira was feeling shy while cutting the cake. They all had a good time. Jason and Olaf dropped Sastry’s home. When they reach Sastry’s home. They helped Mihira to settle down. Olaf told her to take care and kissed her hand. Jason just kissed her forehead and felt nostalgic.

Mihira recovered and returned to work.

One evening Mihira received a call from Olaf. When she reached, saw Jason sitting in the corner, he hugged her and started crying. Olaf said his aunt is critical. She said, Aunt Patricia? Olaf said yes.

Mihira consoled her and took her out. I know you have so many memories here with her. Mihira told everyone this house, belongs to his Aunt. He moved here to finish his studies. Lived with his aunt for 10 years. Some years back moved to her home town. Jason and his Aunt shared a strong bond.

Next morning, Jason went to see his family. Didn’t return for long.

One day Olaf, called Jason and said, please come back. Miraya’s boss has asked her out. He is from her community. What if she says yes? Soon Jason returned.

While coming from airport Olaf took him to Mihira’s flat. On the way he said, Mihira got promotion and engaged. To her boss? Asked Jason. No said Olaf. When they reach her flat. Olaf said, she found a boy named Avik. Jason said what rubbish, don’t bug me. How can you do this, marry someone without knowing? She said because I can’t marry the one, I know.

He said, you need a doctor. To which Olaf smilingly said Yes. Mihira said, he is dad’s friend son.

How do you know your community guy is the correct? Mihira said can the correct guy will change his community for Me. On which Jason said, you have to marry the guy. Not the community. Loving can be a good option.

And what about the house? She laughed and said you and Olaf can live there. Jason said You will never understand. I will pick you up tomorrow so be ready. She said, Ash can move with you. You are dating her now. So, take her tomorrow. Olaf enjoying their stupid grownup conversation.

Olaf said she has changed now she doesn’t get angry so easily. Shares more. Keep less secrets. But Eat and irritate a lot.

Next day they went to see some apartments, one was on the 21st floor. Jason liked it but denied after listening to her thought- One day I will jump from here. Jason said are you crazy? I seriously think you need a doctor. Mihira said I wish doctor needs me too. They wanted to say but can’t. One is stuck with her religion and the other one with stubborn relationship.

Next property, had big lawn and big kitchen. Mihira liked it and said it is like a dream house. Olaf said, don’t forget you are getting married. I know don’t remind me. It’s a nice place. So, they booked it.

After started talking with Avik, she prayed to God help me. After some day’s pandemic hit the world. Jason had to spend days at the hospital. Olaf got stuck as he was travelling. Twinkle lost her job and went back to her town. Yen and Nara were also stuck.

When pandemic hit, she was in middle of moving houses. Stuck Mira asked appa for help in moving. While getting stuffed moved her father got infected and hospitalized.

Next day coughing and shivering Mihira also got admitted. While in hospital she always asked for Dr. Jason. Texted him come meet me before I am gone. Jason replied,

I am around, checking all your reports regularly,

Understand, situations are different now

can’t give personal attention

I Will not let you go

Mihira replied – I understand, just worried about you. I am doing well and just want to go till home. How is appa doing? Hope your family is doing well.

Jason replied, I am fine.

Your app is recovering. Keeps on checking about me from nurses and doctors.

My family is safe.

You can go till home day after tomorrow. Take Mr. Sastry along.

Planning to see you soon.

Mihira asked which app?

In 5 months, Mihira Jason meet 5 times. Jason lost 8kgs.

Miraya was getting confused, her affection towards Jason didn’t let him fall for Avik. She looked unhappy and irritated.

When situation improved, restrictions reduced. People start travelling.

One day, Jason, Mr. Sastry and Mihira were having Dinner. Hope everything is fine between you and Avik? Her dad asked. When they were almost done, Avik called. Moment she said Hello, Avik started, Mihira put her phone on speaker, left it on the table. He said, I haven’t asked you to do a murder. We will be married soon and said such things which no sensible lad would ask to do. Her father disconnected the phone.

Jason said I told you, but you were rigid and said he is from your community. Community doesn’t matter. Emotions matter but you will never understand it. Every one told you. Now get married to a mugger. Don’t come with regrets to me later. I will not be helpful. Jason was fuming.

Doorbell rang, it was Olaf. Mihira Sanitized his luggage and showed his room. And went in her room. Jason cleared the table. Olaf stayed in quatrain till his reports are released.

Next noon, Olaf called everyone out and showed his negative report. Hugged them and pretended he didn’t hear anything last night. He asked can I call others.

Not now after a week. Lunch is in the kitchen saying this she went out. While having lunch all the man in house discussed. After two day, Sastry left the house.

They received Jason’ wedding invite-

Dear Sastry’s

You are invited to be part of the occasion

When sun shines on my ground,

When happiness will be profound.

When friend and family will be around.

Looking forward to see you

Jason called Sastry’s and invited them. I am calling you because I said friends are forever. So please come with your father. Everyone is coming.

On the wedding day, Mihira tied her feelings wore a carmine dress reached Jason’s house. Meet Olaf, Nara and Yen.

Standing on an ambo, an anxious groom said, guess this one (seems like a game) - you made me laugh, irritated me the most. Any guesses? You made me jealous of the guys with whom you danced on the song which I don’t understand. And all those who offered you drinks. She grinned.

Yes Mihira, please come.

 I heard everything you mumbled. I have convinced your father. He can’t see you spending life like Mirabai (Mihira looked confused). Want you to choose the guy you like rather than your community like.

Went very close and grabbed her hand put it close to his chest. The pain I felt when you said ‘I can’t do this’ made me only cherish you more than keep it as a secret. I am sorry for not being there when you needed me, thank you for being here when I need you.

Asked Mihira, Still thinking what palpitation is (her tied up emotions got went making her eyes wet, cheek red and heart beat faster) what you are feeling now it is it.

 Olaf said, say it don’t prescribe it.

Jason asked her Can we do it.

Olaf shouted and asked Miraya, why do you need a doctor? Jason said because I said so.

Both settled their feelings together, watched sun shine together, like lovers because it’s been enough of being just a friend.


May 21, 2021 19:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.