4 comments

Fantasy

	The Ritual Site, the people from the village, a figure in black, and a fire that enveloped everyone. It was because of these images in my dream, or I guess “nightmare” would be better, that I awoke in cold sweat and tears. Right as I did, mother came in, surprised to see me awake, and said:

“Oh my, you must have been eager for today’s festivities. This is the first time you’ve awoken on your own,” although she seemed cheerful, once she saw my face she rushed to my side of the bed. Embracing me.

“My dear girl, is everything all right? You look right terrified.”

“I… I had… a nightmare,” I told her as she then released the embrace to listen. 

“Tell me about it,” she said with genuine, caring curiosity. The vividness of it made my body shake as I told her what I saw. Listening in quiet reverence until the end. Once I did, she simply smiled warmly.

“It was just a dream,” she said as she put her hand to my cheek to wipe away my tears, “it’s perfectly natural to feel this way on this day of all days. Now you are free from whatever doubts or reservations you might have had. I can now say for certain that you are ready for tonight.”

“Really?” I ask feeling somewhat relieved.

“Yes,” she answered back as she hugged me once more, “now come along, I made quite the feast for breakfast. It is the Day of Alaph, after all.” It was right as she said this that it truly sunk in: today WAS the ‘Day of Alaph.’ With the day confirmed, I went about getting ready for breakfast. Today was the day with many names:

“The Feast of All Feasts”
“The Great Renewal”
“The Invitation”
“The Day Where Evil is Kept at Bay”

 No one knows for sure what the day is truly called… or where the word “Alaph” even comes from… grandmother says it’s the name of our patron god… and has even claimed that she saw him on a day very much like this … but everyone, including her own family, feared that old age was just getting the better of her. Regardless, the ritual has taken place every sixteen years and has not been missed once. With our land being surrounded by all manners of monsters, demons, and everything in-between and beyond, it became a matter of survival to hold the ritual and maintain the white mist that protects us from them. This year’s would be my first… and last. 

Although the details are foggy, just like the mist surrounding our village, everyone is certain about what is needed to perform the ritual:

-The Founding Knife

-A virgin boy or girl of 16 (it alternates every 16 years)

and, most importantly of all...

-That the sacrificed boy or girl be run through the left side of the head

While I would be lying if I said I wanted to die… I would also be lying if I wanted harm to come to my friends or family. My death would have purpose… regardless of the details of this ritual. Plus, if nothing else, I accomplished everything I wanted during the “30 Days of Bliss” the elders gave me. My resolve was made and I was ready for today. Content with the nightmare just being that: a nightmare. So it was with this that I went down for breakfast… and ate so much I skipped lunch. My appetite not coming back until the festivities truly began at nightfall.

Even after having my “30 Days of Bliss” I found my time at the festival to be just as fun if not more so. The games, the foods, the plays, the music, all of it was just so wonderful. Others might have wanted more but I was content. If this was my last night in this world then I would have no regrets. Right then, the Clock Keeper informed everyone that it was 11:30 and everyone knew it was time to head to the Ritual Site. 

Save for some plants growing here and there the Ritual Site was still an impressive structure. It was believed to be made from a single massive boulder since everything was made of stone. The altar, the long benches, floor, even the candelabras were made of stone. Looking at it all, I could not help but feel a sense of awe and a touch dread. Because this was where I was going to die. Before long, everyone in the village was seated and the elders began to speak. I am sure what they had to say was profound and important. However, that touch of dread became a roaring lion as I couldn’t shake the thought of “I am going to die.” All the same, I maintained my composure in my white sacrificial gown and long gloves as I sat in the very front row with my family. In that moment, mother then held my hand, kissing my forehead.

“I have never been more proud of you,” she admitted. Although I was happy to hear her words I could not help but feel I was betraying her with the thoughts I was having. I knew what it was I had to do so, regardless of how I felt, I was determined to see my duty through.

“May the young lady for this year’s Day of Alaph come forward?” Hearing this, I came right back to reality. It was time. Although the slightest bit hesitant, really only the slightest bit, I stood up and headed for the podium where the elders were. Before doing so, though, my family kissed me, hugged me, and said their final goodbyes. All were solemn save for my little brother, Descos.

“Don’t gooooo,” he begged me as he cried, “I don’t want you to go.”

“Now now, your sister is doing this for you and all of us. You can’t stop her from fulfilling her duty,” my father said. Seeing that Descos was not completely satisfied, I went down on one knee to greet him. Mustering all my composure and bravery as I did so.

“Hey,” I told him as he looked up as he was crying into his little hands, “you may not see me but I will always be with you, you know?”

“You will?” he asked with a bit of light returning to his eyes.

“Of course, you know I would never leave you, right?” 

“Ri… Right,” he said hesitantly as his tears began to dry. I then gave him what I knew was going to be my last hug and kissed him on the cheek.

“Don’t give mom and dad too much trouble, okay?” I whispered in his ear to which he nodded energetically. 

“Good boy,” I added as I gave him one more kiss and headed for the altar. As I was doing so I could not help but have mixed feelings. I was happy Descos wasn’t crying anymore and yet I almost still wanted him to. I wanted my family and everyone to be safe… but I wanted to be with them. That said, I still maintained steady steps towards the altar and prepared to lie down. Lying on my back but with my head pointed towards the elders so my face was looking away from the crowd. Presenting the left side of my head. Although my brain was flooded with thoughts of running my sheer force of will allowed me to lie down. My gaze pointing upward until the elder told me to face him. 

“Look this way, my child. I promise you this will be swift,” he told me in a voice of warm, somber cheer. Looking up towards him, I could see another elder approach him with a purple velveteen pillow which I knew had to have the Founding Knife on it. Although it was called the “Founding Knife” its wavy blade made it almost look sinister. That said, as long as it can take a life, I suppose it did not matter what the weapon looked like. Ah, how I wished this would be over already. Continuing to watch the elder, it almost looked as if he was warming up as I saw him bob up and down. Cracks could even be heard as he rolled his shoulders. Though I dare not admit it, I was afraid this might not be as “swift” as he promised. Once he was done, though, the look on his face was that of stern focus. He knew what he had to do and acted accordingly. Holding the Founding Knife with both hands, he raised his arms as he then bellowed:

WITH THIS!

Right as his arms were pointing straight up he moved one step closer to the altar so the knife would come down on me. As he began to bring the knife down on me he then added:

OUR VILLAGE WILL BE-

It was here then that my body broke free of my control. Although I was prepared to die seeing the knife coming down caused me to look the opposite direction. Towards the audience… and I could feel the knife go through the right side of my head… before feeling my body slowly going numb… but not completely. Although blurry, I could make out the vague shapes of what I believed to be the shocked villagers. Even though I still died I broke tradition. I am sure everyone was angry… and my family was disappointed with me. That said, it did not seem to last long as everyone became silent… and seemed to look somewhere above me. 

My hearing, admittedly, was also not great but I could make out one of the villagers asking, almost demanding:

“Who are you?!”

In response, I could here a man’s voice above me but, unlike the villager’s, I could hear his voice crystal clear. 

“Thank you for the Invitation. I am Gemoa, the brother of Alaph.”

“But you are not the one we wanted! We wanted Alaph!” I could just barely make out another villager’s voice. His voice sounding as if he were yelling from the opposite shore of a river.
“So you are saying… I am not welcome here?” the voice responded. His voice cold and clear. At this, I could make out the vague outline of my grandmother approach whoever, or whatever, it was that was above me. Imploring to him. 

“My Lord Gemoa, please do not be offended. Though not all may see him we know that it is through Alaph’s divine power that the mist continues to protect us from outside dangers. As such, we were hoping to Invite him here so he may revitalize the mist.”

“However, she was the one who brought me here,” I heard Gemoa say, believing he was talking about me.

“Only because she was a coward!” another villager spoke up. Her voice so loud there was no mistaking her words.

“‘A coward,’ you say?” Gemoa replied, I could tell anger was welling up in his voice… even though I could not blame the villagers for feeling that way. 

“You would dare say a girl, no more than 16, to be a coward for not looking death in the face?! Warriors may be trained to face death but she did admirably all the same for not letting out so much as a whimper. You insult her with your words and for that-”

“Lord Gemoa, please-” I heard my grandmother pleading with him once again. 

“I put you to the test.” I was not sure what fell upon grandmother and the other villagers but they were enveloped by some black, smoke-like shape. Panic and screams being the only sounds I could hear from the crowd. Followed by what sounded like a clattering of some sort… and then nothing.

“Hmpf, cowards the lot of you… except for you,” I could hear him say as I saw something like white smoke come out from where grandmother was. I wanted to scream but couldn’t. Even tears did not come to me. With a whoosh of air, I could just barely make out the outline of this Gemoa as he seemed to float to the benches. Occasionally saying the word “you” every now and then. I do not know how long it took but before long, he stood before me as I lay on the altar. Seemingly stuck between life and death.

“Though accidental,” I heard him say, “I will always love you for Inviting me… my first disciple.” Right as he said this, I felt his hand on my shoulder… and it felt like my body was on fire. All of my senses were sharpened and in agony. Just as I thought it would never end, I felt his hand move away and I fell off the altar. Gasping for air and recoiling from the immense pain that was at least starting to go away. 

“Apologies, turning one immortal on the brink of death is far from a painless ordeal. Turning back death is never easy… even for me,” I heard him say. As the pain was going away, I found my sight and hearing had returned. Hearing him descend to the ground, and although I was afraid, I could not help but look at the man who murdered my family and village.

He was a tall man with short golden hair. Spectacles that seemed to glow like two full moons. A short, black, segmented mantle with a hood that was lined with some sort of white fur. Black shirt, black pants, and a pair of black hiking boots that looked as if they could break boulders completed his attire. 
No doubt they would have no trouble breaking me… that is… until I remembered what he said:
“Wait, what do you mean ‘immortal’ ?” I asked him. My curiosity and shock overcoming my fear.

“Exactly that. Immortal. As my first disciple I felt it was only fair,” he answered with a slight bow.

“But… but… my friends… my family… why did you-”

“They insulted me… and you,” he interrupted. Despite ALL that he did I could not help but feel a little touched… and for that I felt angry, too.

“YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO KILL THEM!” I screamed at him, “I FAILED IN MY DUTY! I GAVE INTO FEAR! IT’S ONLY RIGHT THEY THINK THAT WAY!” my tears finally coming out.

“Now that, Kyrie,” he said, “is where you’re wrong. Regardless of the circumstances, fate has decided this to pass… and that is something neither you nor I can go against.” In any other situation I might have thought this profound but I could not help but feel a mix of fear and hatred for the man. That said, a thought dawned on me:

“You brought me back… can you at least bring my family back?”

“And more,” he answered unhesitatingly.

“What?!” I said, hope erupting within me to the point I almost smiled.

“Oh yes,” he said as he raised his hand with what looked like white smoke billowing around it, “these are the souls of those who faced me in death. Your family, and others, all did so and it is because of that I will keep their souls tethered to this world. For it is souls like these that will aid in rebuilding your village outside this closed garden.”

“Okay, so, why don’t you do it now?” I asked him.

“In truth, there’s another reason I granted you immortality,” he answered.

“And what’s that?” I asked him, perplexed.

“I want you to catch me,” he declared. The words seemed to almost bring my thoughts to a grinding halt.

“What?” I asked, dumbfounded.

“It’s been eons since I have been to this world and I want to explore it now,” he explained. 

“Wait, you can’t just-” realizing this might be my only chance, I try to run and catch him but his figure rushed upward out of reach at the last minute.

“Oh, but I can! I am a god, remember? Catch me and I will give you the family reunion you so desire! Until then!” The next moment he vanished with such speed some of the benches shattered and were thrown into the back wall. My arms thrown up out of sheer reflex though none of the rocks were in any danger of hitting me. Once I was certain the danger had passed, I lowered my arms to look at what became of the villagers. 
From what I could tell, they were all reduced to bone. What’s more, their bones were black, not white. Whole skeletons scattered this way and that throughout the area. If I was anyone but his first disciple I would probably be dead as well… but all the same… he brought me back… and made me immortal… all for a game of tag. Well if that’s what he wanted, I was going to give it to him. So it was with feelings of anger, grief, absurdity and maybe the smallest sense that this was going to be fun that I gathered what provisions I could from the village… and set out to find Gemoa. 

June 19, 2021 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Eclaire Youm
20:02 Jun 23, 2021

Awesome story!

Reply

Allen Dorf
21:39 Jun 23, 2021

Hehe, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hector TORRES
17:47 Jun 21, 2021

Freaking great story the ending has a great hook almost like lets see how this plays out, this can easily turn into a novel

Reply

Allen Dorf
18:26 Jun 21, 2021

Oh, thank ya kindly m(-_-)m

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.