1 comment

Teens & Young Adult Happy

Hamza lifted the hoe and brought it down with force. The earth gave away under his strong blows and soon he had a big hole. Hamza stood up and wiped his forehead. The day was at its peak and the clear skies did nothing but help make it hotter. Walking to a shed at the side of the yard, Hamza saw a baby tree. Quickening his steps Hamza looked around. He needed to talk to Ray about the type of tree he was going to plant but it seemed like it was already chosen. A red oak?! Hamza sighed. The chosen spot for the tree was too close to the house and could have impacts on the house once the roots spread. 

Ray was nowhere in sight. Hamza fished out his cellphone from his jacket pocket and called Ray. The phone rang…once…twice…thrice. Hamza felt like punching something. He felt like screaming. Why? Why did this have to happen? This was his job. Not the best job for sure, but he loved trees. He loved nature. He loved learning about it all too, but he hated it when his employers chose a tree without consulting him or without any research. It was going to be detrimental to both the tree and the employer. The employer was going to suffer when the tree started damaging the house then the tree was going to suffer when they cut it down. 

A notification popped up on Hamza’s phone. It was Ray. Are you done?

Hamza clenched his teeth as he replied. No. The red oak tree will damage your house.  

Ray texted back. I know what I am doing. Just plant it. 

Hamza shook his head. Fine. 

He couldn’t stop the revenge feeling from bubbling inside him. This will teach him a lesson. Only a couple years later he will realize that I was right. He breathed deeply.

This was not right. This is not what a Muslim will do. I will plant the tree but then I will call an inspector from the Official Tree Department and they will have the tree replanted elsewhere. 

As Hamza carried the tree to the hole and planted it he couldn’t stop forgetting that this tree had to be taken out. Like usual he perfected his work. He sighed as he put the mulch around the tree. His work was done…actually not yet. He still had to follow up on the removal of the tree. 

The next hour went by as Hamza collected his paycheck, then called the Official Tree Department. It took him a while to explain what had happened but the representative was understanding. He got an appointment two days later and was told that he need not worry. The Tree Department would take over from here and he had done his job. Whew. Responsibility is heavy. 

After midday prayer (Dhuhr) Hamza planted two other trees and pruned some. He worked with his heart, perfected his job like usual. None of his employers did the same like Ray. He talked to them about the “qualities” they wanted in their trees, where they wanted them, and how much they would take care of them. That night as Hamza drove home he felt like he was yearning for something. Something unknown. 

At 2:45 AM Hamza’s alarm rang. Deep in his sleep he snoozed it, but then his eyes fluttered open. Despite being sleepy he strived to get up. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. This was the time for his Lord. It benefited no one except himself but this was the time that was only for praying. He cleansed his mouth with a tooth stick, he washed his face and his limbs. 

Standing on his prayer mat Hamza prayed. He tried keeping his focus. He tried to focus on what he was reciting, but his mind kept on wandering then it would return. After he finished praying he asked Lord for what he wanted and did not know. He was searching for something. He was searching for his dream job even though he loved working with trees, this was not what he wanted to d.

The phone rang waking up Hamza. Today was Sunday, his only day off in the week. He sat up groggily and reached for the phone. It was Nana! His grandfather. Hamza cleared his throat before accepting the call, “Assalamu Alaikum Nana!” (Peace be upon you.) 

“Wa Alaikum Assalam Hamza! How are you?”

His Nana continued with his regular questions about work, life, family…Then his Nani (grandmother) came to the phone. 

She asked similar questions then said, “Beta (Son) we are getting older and we have our garden as you know. It is becoming hard for us to take care of it and lonely for us throughout the year except in the summer when you all come to visit. Can you leave your job and come live with us instead? You will have free lodging, free meals, and we have a nice cabin in the back for when you get married.” 

Now that came as a surprise. Something that Hamza wasn’t expecting. “I will talk to Ammi (mother) and Abbu (father), and let you know Insha Allah. Jazakumullahu Khairan.”

The next week flew by. His parents agreed and he decided to move. Hamza sold his tools because his grandparents already had many tools. He cleaned his bedroom and said goodbye to many friends. He tried spending as much time as he could with his younger sister. Soon the week ended and his family went to leave him at the train station. He could tell that his family was sad and he felt a bit guilty because he was happy. He hadn’t decided how much time he would stay or when he would return. This was something new to him because in his dad’s family things were always all planned out. He smiled as he sat down in his seat and decided to embrace the unknown because you never know anything. 

Hamza lifted the hoe and dug a hole. He planted a tree. Birds chirped in nearby trees and crickets could be heard. The sun was low in the sky. Hamza looked around and smiled. He was now planting a tree for himself. Was that selfishness? He didn’t know but it sure felt good to be able to decide what he wanted to do. He had planted a red oak in his grandparents front yard to provide privacy and shade. 

Walking around the house Hamza saw his Nani setting out dinner on the porch?! Nice! He put away his tools, went to wash up and joined his grandparents. Over here there was no pressure on him to complete his work early, or to be on time! His grandparents were very relaxed. That night Hamza prayed a special prayer thanking his Lord for all the blessings he had bestowed upon him. 

Things were not perfect. His schedule had become a bit different, and he missed his family but soon they would join him here with the rest of the children and grandchildren for summer vacation!! The best thing was that he could help his grandparents and be around them whenever they needed him!

July 07, 2021 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

K Ben
19:45 Jul 12, 2021

Sorry guys, I wrote this story in a hurry and didn’t revise it well. Please leave a comment if you see any mistakes. (Or for anything else. ) Please also check out my other submission; Gang Leader’s Son.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.