2 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult

It was the last day of school, and it was also my 18th birthday. I'm not a fan of celebrating my birthday, but I decided to celebrate it just this once with him as it could be our last time together.

A few months ago, I told him that my parents decided to move to a place near to the college I applied to, which was in another country.

I told my parents that it wasn't that necessary and that I could stay at the school's dormitory and come home during the holidays, so we can still see each other despite the long distance. But due to my parents' protectiveness, they still insisted to move. We were both upset about the situation but can't do anything about it.

I wanted to celebrate my birthday with just the two of us together hanging out with nothing fancy or special.

He waited for my last class to finish, and as soon as I got out of the classroom, he swiftly took me by the hand and said, "Hey, let's go somewhere." as he rushed through the now crowded halls, heading to the entrance of the school, with me following behind.

I was surprised by the way he acted. What was he in a rush for? What is he planning to do? 

I didn't even realize that we were already in the parking lot walking to his car because I was deep in my thoughts thinking about why the situation seemed so urgent.

He opened the door of the front seat of his car for me and I got in. As he buckled up, I asked, "Why are you in such a rush? Did something wrong happen?" He then replied in an excited tone, "Just wait until we get there."

He then pulled up near a familiar building which I soon realized was the back of the town's auditorium. He opened the car door for me and led me out. "Follow me." He said in anticipation. I chuckled as I followed him up the stairs. He looked like a kid being that excited.

He brought me to the rooftop where the both of us first met in our freshmen year, and I see a red plaid blanket laid perfectly on the floor with pizza, fries, and two juice boxes, which were my favorites. He knew me so well.

Red was my favorite color. The color that reminded me of our love, the fire that burned within.

We sat down and enjoyed the view from above as we enjoyed each other's company. We talked about how our day was, all our unforgettable moments, and the first time we met on this rooftop. That was when I realized that we've been through a lot. 

As the sun was setting, he took out a music player and plugged in some earphones. He stood up and took my hand, and I followed. With one side of the earphone each, we held each other close as we danced to a playlist of our favorite songs.

We kept slow dancing until the sun had completely set, and fairy lights start to light the place up. I can tell that he had prepared for this.

I smiled as I looked back at him and find a slight grin on his face. "Happy Birthday," he greeted. "Thanks," I say in response. He then takes out a small red box from his pocket, revealing a silver necklace with a star.

He always had a thing for astronomy, he knew a lot about space, and he called me his 'shining star' as I always had a dream of being an actress.

I turned around and lifted my hair as he put the necklace on me. I turne to face him, "You look dazzling, darling," he tells me. I smiled and rushed to hug him.

"Will you be okay while I'm gone?" I asked in a shaking voice. "Of course I will," he replied surely as he looked me in the eyes. "I'll wait for you to return." he said, reassuring me. 

"Promise?" I said, fighting back the tears. "Don't cry, love," he said, lifting my chin up, "I promise you, we'll see each other again. Promise me too, that we'll stay in touch as much as possible, okay?" I nodded and looked down. I didn't want to be far away from him, especially for a long time. But I knew, I had to be strong. 

I looked up at him and said, "I love you," and as a big smile crossed his face. He brushed away the strands of hair on my face with his hand then held my hands.

We stared at each other passionately, and he then pulled me in for a kiss. He then said, "I love you too."

After that, he drove me home and dropped me off. He opened the passenger side door for me and helped me out. "Thanks," I said. "Thanks for today." I said smiling, then kissing him on the cheek. "Happy birthday again," he said before returning to his car. We waved each other goodbye as he drove away. 

A week had past and it was the day of our scheduled flight to leave the country. We were at the airport about to enter departure area, when I hear someone calling my name. 

I turned around to see that it was him. He was running towards me. As he got close, he lifted me, and we kissed. By that time, everyone's eyes were looking at us, but I didn't care about any of that. He kissed me so passionately, that I didn't want the moment to end.

But it had to. We needed to go and catch our flight. We hugged each other one last time, and waved each other goodbye. 

That was ten years ago. We reunited after college and now, we're happily married. He is my first, greatest, and only love.

Looking at our wedding photos, makes a kaleidoscope of memories flash before me. It brings back the good times and the bad, that are now part of us. That night on the rooftop... was a night to remember.

February 12, 2021 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Aman Fatima
04:48 Mar 03, 2021

Cute story!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ally Kate
15:09 Feb 20, 2021

Love this! Really cute story with all the feels!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.