22 comments

Kids Adventure Friendship

Let me tell you a Mediterranean story no one has written yet.

It is about Alba, a little girl. According to Italian language she shares her name with the sunrise. But Alba’s childhood, perhaps her whole life, with the Sun has much more in common. It almost depends on it, not only because Alba enjoyed spending her time in the sun, biking across the bending roads of the village she lived in with her family. She knew by heart the Latin names of each wild species of animals and plants breeding and growing in the valley crossed by two rivers (not Tigris and Euphrates as you may think, but Tanagro and Sele) where her village stood. She also collected wild plants and animals’ stickers, to complete the album.

Not exactely the kind of girl who collected Barbie’s stickers, but this is not the point, or maybe it is. Everything can make a point. Certainly the spot where to debate the argument is not here.

The true point among all points is that ‘Count Bear’s village’ stood on the top of a green hill, in south of Italy. As it often happens, hill’s settlements are towered by a castle opening into a square, into the heart of the village, into ‘la piazza,’ as Italians would say and Giuseppe Garibaldi, the most Italian among Italians, would not disagree.

‘Piazza Garibaldi’ was indeed the heart of 'Count Bear’s village,’ the place where Alba and her little friends used to play hide and seek in the sun or under the moon, when summer extended its days across the starry night.

 On one of those long sunny afternoons, in the middle of a hide and seek game, no one could find Alba anymore.

“She must have found a very hidden place to hide herself,” her little friends decided.

A very hidden place

A very dark place.

‘Hidden,’ ‘dark.' These are unknown words to the dictionaries of rural areas. No matter how skillful in the lexicon you might be, you will more often hear words like ‘nice,’ ‘picturesque,’ ‘charming’ and their synonyms. Antonyms are not welcome.

And here it comes another point.

In the village where people assumed to know everything and everyone, the list of the ‘unknown’ and ‘not charming’ labels started to grow. Besides the fact that Alba had left ‘Garibaldi’s Square’ alone, no one knew that her destination was Tanagro’s riverbank, the place where extraordinary creatures like Mr. Faunus Lupercus (a half goat-man) and her fiancée Melusine (a half fish-woman) lived in secrecy together with other ‘creatures.’

I have said Alba left ‘Garibaldi’s Square’ alone. This is wrong. She was not alone. Her bike, a white Bianchi, was with her as it always used to be. No way it could have left her beloved owner just the afternoon of the disappearance, on one of those rare days marked by a name and a noble-double surname: Summer Solstice, 1989, June 21st.

If the bike could speak it would tell of the eight-year-old-boy waiting at the riverbank. Waiting for Alba to come.

A three lamb’s shepherd. He introduced himself as Usils, whose name’s meaning is more then a serendipity.

“It means ‘The Sun’s Son,’ he said.

No lie in the translation to English, no attempt to show off made up by a little boy in order to impress a pretty little girl.

But let me explain one thing. Actually, what Usils wanted was to impress Alba. Because she was the girl come with the Summer Solstice, the girl supposed to help him.

The eight-year-old-girl known by everyone as the youngest biker of the village; the girl playing truant from primary school to run after lizards and wild boars, screaming their Latin names to the four winds; that girl was now supposed to help Usils.

Said in this way the whole picture does not sound as it should.

Let us hear the rest of story by him, by Usils, and you will understand the point, the true point.

“The Sun’s Son,’ he said. “I am cursed,” he went on lowering his head, not leaving his sparkling black eyes from the three lambs grazing the grass.

“I am Alba,” she said ignoring that the boy knew her very well. “What curse do you have?” She asked.

“I am cursed to live forever in this place. Alone. I can go out only after the sunset, and I m tired of it. I want to join my family, my people." His little head turned left and right, looking for something. "We lived there, in the City on the River, until it was flooded and everybody died; everybody except me.”-

“The City on the R_?” was about to say Alba but she could not.

There was no city on the riverbank, never been. And yet there was. Before her eyes stood the ruins of a dwelling that could have jumped out from her ‘Ancient History Handbook.’ ‘Etruscans,’ her schoolteacher had told her only a few months ago.

Hmm, an unknown ancient settlement nearby the ‘Count Bear’s village.’

It goes without any saying that here the point is not too much in the ‘antiquity,’ neither in the ‘dwelling/settlement.’ The true point is the unknown. How can something be unknown to a village, where everybody knows everyone and everything?

Well, the ratio between questions and answers is not always satisfying, and this is one of the ‘not always’ situations.

But let us go back to the true point. Let us hear what Alba and Usils have to say in their pragmatic children’s language.

“I want to help you. Just tell me how, Usils.”-

“Tell my story to the children of your village. Let them know about their ancient ancestries. Tell your schoolteacher to speak about my language and my wisdom, my science and my magic. Tell all adults of the village to bring their children to the riverbank, to smell the early morning scent of the wildflowers. Please, do it.”-

“Only this?” Alba asked.

“Only this,” Usils said.

He added other things. He added that the source of his coursing had wanted to delete the memory of his people from the world, sparing him from death only by mistake. Cursing him as a revenge.

“I knew you would come.”-

“How?” Alba asked.

“Sooner or later the Sun’s Son will meet its Sunrise.”


June 22, 2023 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

20:03 Jul 10, 2023

Excellent description. A nice story.

Reply

15:48 Mar 11, 2024

Thanks Mohammad! And good luck with your writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:16 Jul 10, 2023

Sounds like a tale of wisdom children would love to read. Thanks for reading/liking my tacos tale and the follow. Thanks for liking my 'Sixties Teen'.

Reply

16:28 Jul 10, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting, 🙏 Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
13:37 Jul 02, 2023

Nice read, Santina. Interesting story which reveals the characteristics of the village, myths, and Alba’s life. Best wishes with your novel!

Reply

12:46 Jul 08, 2023

Thanks Siddham. Happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:08 Jun 24, 2023

This is an abstract from my ongoing novel " Piccolo mondo italico" I am currently working on. The full original ongoing version is in Italian language. I hope you will enjoy this abstract in English. Any comment/feedback is very welcome! Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
19:04 Mar 10, 2024

An enchanting story with mythical vibes

Reply

16:00 Mar 11, 2024

🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
20:15 Feb 21, 2024

Very interesting. Sorry you're novel won't be coming out in an English version! I feel left out! Thanks for taking time to read mine and good luck with your novel!

Reply

13:23 Mar 08, 2024

Thanks LJ. And congratulations for your writing, I find your prose and plots very enjoyable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
20:08 Feb 14, 2024

Very cool read. Felt like a little cliffhanger :) The Italian element was nice as well. I like it when English prose is flavoured with some non English words. A bit like Junot Diaz does with Spanish. Really great work. Thanks for sharing

Reply

11:09 Feb 16, 2024

Hi Tom, Thanks for the feedback; very encouraging! Yes, same opinion, non -English words, if used at the right moment and place, can add a lot to the story set. I've enjoyed your latest story, too. Well done!

Reply

Tom Skye
11:11 Feb 16, 2024

I actually speak a little Italian so if you have you have a link I could practice it on your stories :)

Reply

13:36 Feb 16, 2024

That would be cool! Then I must speed up my ongoing novel 'Little Italian World.' It's my only work in Italian language. As soon as it gets ready, and published, I will definetely let you know. Grazie mille! E in bocca al lupo per le tue storie 🤞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:34 Jul 25, 2023

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ty Warmbrodt
07:33 Jul 19, 2023

Captivating tale. Very well written. I was left wanting more.

Reply

12:40 Jul 25, 2023

Ohh, thanks! There is no better feeling then leaving thirst in potential readers. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
11:23 Jul 12, 2023

lovely story, loved the set up for that last line - "Sun’s Son will meet its Sunrise".

Reply

10:58 Jul 18, 2023

Thanks Vid. It's both a reminder of how Alba's and Usils's destiny are by many aspects tied one to another, including the meaning in their names, and also a way to meet the weekly prompt. Glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
13:40 Jul 11, 2023

Brava, Santina, un bella storiella. It would be fascinating to learn more about Etruscan culture by means of fabulist fiction. Alba and Usils seem to have a future...

Reply

16:43 Jul 11, 2023

Thank you so much 🙏. Grazie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.