0 comments

General

The Art Club was a very popular club in Lakes High School. The members of the club got their own table at lunch and everyday everyone would line up in front of a member and they would draw a picture of the “customer’s” choosing on their arm or hand for a small fee. That’s how they made their money to support the club.

They very rarely accepted new members and even then, they had to be a very good artist. When they did accept people, there was a very difficult and long process before the whole entire club accepted that new member. You could say this club was very judgmental. Except for Lacey.

Lacey was a very nice person in general and was the newest member of the group. She was also the youngest in the group and her specialty was drawing floral designs. 

There were two juniors in the group and their names were Summer and Autumn. They were twins and very fashionable, but could get pretty bossy. Especially to the younger members in the club. Summer’s specialty was that she could make anything 3D. Autumn’s specialty was drawing cartoons.

The sophomore of the group was named AJ. He was the only boy in the group and even though he was young, he was the tallest in the group. AJ would mostly draw fantasy animals like phoenixes and dragons. 

The Senior of the group -and also the club leader and founder- was Adrianna, but everyone called her Adri. She was very popular in school and dabbled a bit in every design. She enjoyed having a group of her own where she could escape the harsh reality of school life. 

It was the beginning of just another regular monday morning. Everyone was scrambling to get their school books from their lockers before the bell rang. Lacey had already gotten to class. She was what you would call the “teacher’s pet” but wasn’t embarrassed by it. She had grown quite popular for a freshman. 

The bell rang and everyone was rushing to their seats as their homeroom teacher wrote what they would be going over that day. The morning announcements started and Lacey heard the voice of Adri as she was telling everyone about the dance they were having on Friday. Adri was a member of the planning committee. Lacey didn’t know how she could juggle so many teams and clubs and still have time for school. 

Then, the old door creaked open slowly and the principal walked in. She wore her jet black hair in a tight bun and walked with her hands behind her back. The suit she wore had no crinkles in it. She was a very strict principal, but had a soft spot for the art club. As she walked past Lacey, she winked, but it was barely noticeable because her face immediately went back to its serious expression. 

The principal cleared her throat and said in a loud clear voice, “You have a new student joining your homeroom. Her name is Harper Marone” She gestured to a small girl who was standing in the principal’s shadow with her head down. 

Harper looked very shy and embarrassed by such a formal introduction. She clutched her books dearly to her chest as if she was afraid they would fly away if she let go. Her hair was in two tight french braids with a single strand of hair that was probably bangs. She wore a button-up white shirt and a plaid skirt. It almost looked like a school uniform.

“Harper,” The principal started. “This is Lacey. She is a wonderful honor student who has the same classes as you. Lacey, do you mind being Harper’s guide for school today?” 

“Not a problem.” Lacey said. She smiled politely at Harper who only glanced up for half a second to get a look at which one was Lacey. 

The principal gave Lacey one last smile before briskly walking out of the classroom. Lacey gestured to the empty seat next to her. She always sat at the front of the class but no one else wanted to. Which Lacey had no problem with. She enjoyed her personal space sometimes. 

Lacey and Harper got through Homeroom, Science, and Language Arts. The bell rang in LA and Harper and Lacey packed up their things then headed to lunch. Lacey sat down at the Art Club table and Harper was about to sit next to her when a hand shot out and covered the seat. 

“Uh Lacey? Who is she?” Autumn asked. “I was about to ask the same question.” Summer added.

“Oh,” Lacey started. “This is Harper. She’s a new student and I was asked to show her around the school for today.” 

AJ sat down next to Summer with his art things. “But it’s just for today, right?” He asked. 

“Well, I know how hard it is to make friends when you move. Harper needs friends. School is hard without them.”

Harper stood out like a sore thumb with her head hanging. She kept her eyes on the floor as the club argued if it was okay for her to sit with them. She was blushing madly, trying to not make eye contact with anybody.

“If Harper can’t stay, then we will go find a different table to sit at.” Lacey said sternly and a little too loud, and the whole cafeteria got quiet. There was some drama going down and high schoolers loved to watch trouble unfold. 

Adri rolled her eyes. “Fine. And she slammed her pencils and markers on the table along with her tray that only had a salad on it. “She can stay.” 

Adri knew they couldn’t lose Lacey. Even if she was the youngest and newest member of the group, she was still a vital member. She got the most girl customers when Adri wasn’t there. People loved her floral designs. 

Harper sat down in between Adri and Lacey and spoke up for the first time, “So what is this group?” 

AJ laughed, then realized Harper was being serious and quickly added, “Wait, you haven’t heard of the Art Club?” 

Harper looked taken aback. “Should I?” She asked. Everyone gasped except Lacey. “I have only been here for half a day.”

“Uhm honey, that’s his point.” Summer said.

Harper looked at everyone skeptically. “It seems like you guys have your own little rhythm going on here. Should I just find another table?” 

The table erupted in a mixture of yes and no. Lacey quickly decided to speak up before Harper left. “No, you don’t have to leave. It’s fine.” 

“Really? Cause I’m sure I can find some room…” Harper looked around the cafeteria. Every seat was taken. “By the trash can? I sat there all the time back in Cali.” 

Autumn snorted her milk up her nose. “Wait a second,” She started while holding her nose. “You’re from California?” Harper nodded. Summer gave a toothy smile to Harper. 

“Cali is the best!” Summer yelled, making everyone look at her.

All Lacey could think was: Looks like I have Summer and Autumn convinced.

Suddenly, Adri reached her hand right in front of her tray of food and slapped on the table. Harper flinched. 

“What did you do that for?” She asked.

Adri shrugged and said, “I was posting our sign.” But she was looking at Lacey while she spoke.

Harper gave her a confused look, but it was cut off short when people started lining up on the other side of the table in front of Adri. Autumn, Aj, Summer, and Lacey slapped their hands on the table in front of their trays and got out markers and all sorts of art supplies. Harper looked in front of Lacey’s tray and saw a paper that said: 

Lacey OPEN

$1 Small Floral Design

$3 Medium Floral Design

$5 Large Floral Design

$7 Very Detailed Floral Designs

It was over all, a very unusual 

Before Harper knew it, more than half the people in the cafeteria were lined up in front of one of the people in the group. There were even some people who stood in front of Harper’s tray. 

“Uhm…” Harper said with uncertainty. She looked at the others and the student at the front of the line had brought a picture with them of random things, and the girls and AJ were copying the picture on their forearms. 

“Hi! Are you a new member?” Said a senior girl in front of Harper. 

Harper just sat, gaping at her. An actual senior was talking to her. Adri was a senior, but she didn’t talk directly to her.

“What is your main drawing style? You know what, since your new here, just draw whatever. I don’t really mind. If I like it, I’ll come back.

The senior stuck out her arm in front of Harper while she looked at Lacey for help. She -along with everyone else- was busy with their so called “customers.” Harper just shrugged and took out her favorite black non-toxic pen out of her pencil pouch. 

Harper started drawing on her arm just a random doodle. “What is your favorite celebrity?” She asked the senior.

The senior looked at her as if that was the weirdest question anyone could ever ask for. “Chris Hemsworth?” She answered off the top of her head.

Harper nodded and whispered, “I can work with that.” And changed up her drawing style completely.

A few minutes later, Harper made her finishing touches. The senior gasped so loudly that everyone nearby looked over at her. Adri looked over with an accusing expression on her face. 

“Harper,” She snapped in a whisper. “What did you do?” Then Adri looked up at the senior. “Agnes, I'm so sorry! You can get a free drawing tomorrow if you want. Harper isn’t even a part of the Art Club. She is just sitting with us today.”

The senior named Agnes stared at Harper in amazement. “This looks…” She started. “AMAZING!” 

Adri almost spit out her soda she just happened to take a drink of at that exact moment. At this point, everyone was looking at Harper and Agnes. Agnes slapped down fifteen dollars in front of Harper. “Thank you so much!” 

Agnes started walking away when AJ grabbed her wrist and looked at the drawing Harper had done. “Oh… my… heavens!” He made Agnes show Autumn, then Summer, then Lacey, and last but not least, Adri. 

AJ is in; Is what Lacey thought. We only have to convince Adri...

Harper loved seeing their reactions. Adri was speechless. Harper had drawn a very detailed Chris Hemsworth head on Agnes’ forearm. Agnes ran away to show her group of friends and they all squealed at the very life-like Chris. 

The rest of the day went by in a blur for Lacey. Harper had become the most shy girl in their grade, to the most popular girl in school. Even the art teacher had gotten word of the Freshman prodigy and Harper became the teacher’s pet in art.

In Harper’s opinion, art class was the highlight of her day. Art always made Harper feel like she could let go of all other worries and just draw how she felt. 

The final bell rang and Harper headed to the bus number 201. Before she could get on though, Lacey pulled Harper aside and dragged her back to the art room where AJ, Summer, Autumn, and Adri were waiting. 

“What is she doing here? I was fine with her sitting with us at lunch, but this is a highly exclusive meeting.” Adri said when she saw Harper with Lacey.

“Don’t be so harsh on her Adri.” AJ said. 

“I was thinking maybe she could join the club.” Lacey said quietly. 

Adri rolled her eyes. “Out of the question. We just accepted you a few weeks ago. You are our newest member. Know your place.” 

“Yeah, but we all agree. We think Harper could be a crucial part in bringing in a lot more customers. And according to Lacey, she is super smart. She saw Harper in class.” Autumn said.

“I want to see her skills before we accept her in the club.” Adri said. 

“No problem!” Lacey said. She turned around and was surprised to see Harper all the way in a dark corner of the room staring at a book. “What are you doing back there?” 

Harper sighed. “This is just a lot. And I think I’m causing a lot of drama.” 

Lacey’s mouth fell open and she almost hit herself for not seeing it. “I’m so sorry Harper. I just assumed that you would want to be in our group. I didn’t even ask what you wanted.” 

Harper shrugged and said, “It’s fine. An Art Club does sound fun. If Adri’s okay with it,”

All the members of the Art Club looked at Adri with puppy dog eyes. They had made a valid argument and Harper was basically a drawing prodigy. There was no way she could say no.

Adri crossed her arms and rolled her eyes again. “Fine, fine, fine! You can stay” She said, still not talking directly to Harper. 

The group cheered. Harper grinned wide. Even Adri couldn’t help but let a little smile slip.

“WAIT!” AJ yelled over the commotion. “I just have to know one thing that I’m sure we’re all thinking.”

“Go right ahead,” Harper said nervously. 

“How the heck did you manage to remember all the facial features on Chris Hemsworth?” AJ asked and everyone nodded in agreement, showing they were interested in knowing that too. 

“Oh, that’s easy,” Harper started while laughing. “I have hyperthymesia!”

Everyone stared at her like she was speaking a totally different language. 

“It’s also known as photographic memory.” Harper said matter-of-factly.

Everyone said, “Ohhhh” at the same time then burst out laughing. 

Harper knew today was the best worst first day ever. 

August 24, 2020 22:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.