2 comments

Romance

Rush City Science Center, 2110 

The ring that would gain such significance in Storm’s life had been a birthday present from his foster father.  Tomkin Goodayle passed a simple black box to him. “I can’t know your actual natal day, but today I celebrate the day you were born as my son.” 

Surprised, Storm glanced down at the box, then smiled at Goodayle. “I celebrate it too,” he said, his voice full of warmth. He opened the box and removed a stone of many colors, something so remarkable that Storm cried aloud to see it. “A star!” 

Goodayle laughed in kind nature, placing his hand on Storm’s shoulder. “Nearly so, no? But stars belong to the skies, Storm, and this is of the earth. Earth of the past, when she brought forth such things. It is called a fire opal.” 

Storm dropped the black box to examine the stone in his hand. He expected it to be hot on his skin, but it remained cool as the other rocks he had handled. The opal showed ranges, from clear to white, gray, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink, brown, and black. These were colors he had seen in pictographies but never in the unnatural world of River Province. 

“Where did you find this?” Storm asked, his delight full in his voice. 

“My own father gave it to me when I was about your age.” Goodayle paused, reflecting. “He told me it should always remind me of the beauty the earth is capable of offering us. The stone is to remind us of why we need to keep going and never abandon the struggle to restore our land to the beauty it once was.” He looked at Storm. “That’s the charge I give to you. Take this stone. Think of the fires that birthed something so strong and so beautiful. Let those fires into your heart, Storm, and take courage from them, now and always. My gift to you.” 

Storm felt the moisture gathering in his eyes. Goodayle had always been a strong role model and a kind guardian, but moments of true affection were rare. But this—did Goodayle truly think so highly of him? 

He closed the opal in his palm and held it to his face. “I’ll do my best,” he whispered. “I’ll do everything I can to deserve your hope—yours and River Province’s.” 

“I know you will.” 

And now he faced a different charge, a new challenge.  Eilan Blackthorn stood before him, beautiful and beckoning and encouraging a commitment like he had made to River Province. He knew a strange word. Where he’d learned it he couldn’t remember, but he knew this was the time and place for it. After clearing his throat, he summoned his courage. “Sweetheart?” 

In an inadvertently synchronized movement, they looked down at their joined hands and then back up into each other’s eyes. While Storm could only cherish the thought, Eilan spoke the words. “Storm, don’t go.” 

All of these weeks he would have surrendered himself to hear the tender note in her voice. Now everything—her voice, her face, the very air around them—overflowed with tenderness. Storm struggled with the sudden strength flowing through him that was compromised with fear, the fear of the unknown and this inevitable confrontation with the emotions Eilan had awakened in him. They weren’t familiar, but they were pure bliss. 

“I know I don’t want to go,” he whispered. “But I don’t know what happens if I stay.” 

Eilan moved closer, held his hand tighter. “Oh Storm, don’t you know what you mean to me?” 

“I only wish it could be something like what you mean to me.” 

Neither of them had ever sensed a tension so fierce or a need so demanding. Eilan brought her face close to his. “Tell me, and don’t be afraid. There’s no place for fear here, only happiness.” 

Storm imagined thrusting his fingers into her chromatic hair and he stirred to attention. Was this the moment, then, where he could gain her? He was already throwing everything he was into the Chronodome Project, including his life. What did he have to lose by being honest? 

“I’m in love with you,” he said. 

And Storm made good on his feelings. Not long afterwards, he went to share glasses of Emeraldine with his bunkmate Holea. “I’ve made up my mind.” 

“Have you? About what?” 

Storm held out his hand. In his palm the stone of a ring sparkled wildly, demanding attention. Holea looked, then took a second look in surprise. “That’s Goodayle’s fire opal.” 

“It is.” 

Holea met Storm’s intense eyes. “What are you up to?” 

“I’m going to ask Eilan to marry me.” He gestured to the ring. “I took the fire opal and fashioned the ring with some auric alloy.” 

“What? Why?” Holea shook the confusion from his mind. “You don’t have to marry her. You’re both already committed. Why would you bring the Helm into this?” 

Maybe Holea couldn’t understand how legality mattered to Storm, but hopefully Eilan would. He would go with her in the remaining surface elevator, not because what was left of River Province was beautiful, but because it was honest.  

“When I was flying over the area, I thought the land looked a lot like Mars.” Eilan sighed as she leaned forward on the railing. “But up close, it looks more like Phobos and Deimos.” 

Storm raised his eyebrows. “It looks like what?” 

Of course he wouldn’t know. The pictographies wouldn’t go into that much detail. “The moons of Mars. Just big, ugly rocks, really.” 

“You think it’s that bad.” 

She turned to meet his upset gaze, giving him a sad but sympathetic smile. Given the choice between elaborating on her observations and soothing her lover, Eilan chose the latter. “Storm, I could never call any land that gave me you bad in any sense.” 

He smiled at this. She hadn’t fooled him, but she warmed him by caring for his feelings. “Sweetheart, this is an important place for us. Our two different worlds meet here—the caverns and the surface.” 

“Separated only by clear glass,” Eilan added. “Two worlds that can see each other, if they only cared to look.” 

“And hopefully touch each other again.” Storm left no space between them as he held her close, demonstrating his point. “I wanted to bring you here because of this, because you and I are our two worlds touching. Look at the happiness we’ve found!” 

Eilan looked up into his beaming face. She saw the wonder in his bright eyes, the irises an undulating pale blue. She’d always known Storm to be handsome, his strong features complemented by his gentle demeanor. So much more held her heart. His honesty, his innocence, his kindness, and his integrity made his good looks come alive. She’d never met a man with so much to express, with so much he could express. 

“I found love in your touch,” she whispered. 

“And in your touch, I’ve solved the human mystery of love.” 

Suddenly he dropped to his knees before her, raising her hands in his. He kissed her fingers as he gathered his courage. Eilan couldn’t help giggling, both at the situation and at the tickling sensation from his lips. “Darling, what are you about now?” 

He tilted his head to look at her, his expression peaceful with sincerity. Elation surrounded them, silent communication held them. Neither could question the power of their connection. Then Storm smiled,and Eilan knew he’d found some needed comfort. Simple words would serve his purpose best. “Marry me, Eilan.” 

Eilan drew a deep breath. No true shock, but still a tender surprise that became the happiest moment of her life. “Can it be?” 

“Can you doubt it?” 

“I mean, can we get married? You know, with the Helm, me coming from a foreign province—“ 

“Let me worry about the Helm,” he said with confidence. “Men and women get married in River Province just as in any other place. Marry me before the launch and let me meet the challenge as your devoted husband. There is no better security to my mind than that.” 

Time dissolved into a meaningless mist for Eilan. She had known Storm for only two months, and so what? Launch day was less than three weeks away, and so what? The details of how they could be married in River Province didn’t matter much to her at that moment, either. Today she would pledge to a truth she had known since her first look into Storm’s eyes. She had been confused, but gentle Storm had brought her around to him. No doubts lingered. 

Storm cocked an eyebrow. “You haven’t answered me yet, Eilan Blackthorn.” 

“Yes!” She pulled him up from his knees to cover his face in kisses. “Yes! Of course! Storm, I love you, love you so much. I never knew I could love with my whole being. That’s what you’ve taught me. I’ll marry you. I’d marry you right now.” 

With a glad cry Storm lifted her up into his arms. “Sweetheart, no man on earth is as happy as I am! If you’ll be my wife, I have no doubts about anything else. You’ve made me a whole man, my love.” 

He lowered her, and they pressed their bodies together. They shared a thought. The passion and desire they knew so well shot through both of them. That would come later. For the moment, laughing and kissing, they held each other, an abundance of life against the landscape of blasted earth through the glass dome. 

In a subtle movement, Storm reached into his pocket. He’d looked up a pictography on this subject, which hadn’t made any logical sense but seemed an adoring gesture. He took her left hand and slid the fire opal ring onto the traditionally correct finger. 

Eilan stared at the small star, then met his bold gaze. “Storm! How did you—“ 

“Will it do, sweetheart?” 

“Do? It’s magnificent!” She raised her hand to bring the gem closer to her eyes. “But your father gave this to you. Are you sure—“ 

“That I want you to have it? I have no question in my mind.” 

“Let’s go home. I’m of a mind to thank you.” 

Eilan had a ring on her finger and Storm snuggled in tranquil sleep against her bosom, and yet she could not find much peace of mind. 

She brushed her fingers through his hair as she thought. The idea of the marriage made her heart soar. The when of the actual wedding remained a mystery. 

Storm had gotten the details of a romantic proposal correct enough, but Eilan had been left to wonder when he planned on going to the Helm to have the actual marriage. Had he even considered it yet?  Eilan suspected he hadn’t. He’d been so wrapped up in getting the moment right that maybe he hadn’t seen past the twinkle of the ring. 

December 10, 2019 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Keith Manos
16:35 Dec 20, 2019

I like science fiction and the expression natal day at the beginning v. birthday seems futuristic. Other than the references to planets and the Helm, however, I don’t detect much technology references unfortunately.

Reply

Emilie Conroy
20:15 Dec 20, 2019

I don't intend it to be pure sci-fi bliss. As the prompt suggests "Write a short story about someone searching for the perfect gift for their partner," it's on a much more human level with hints of a different technological paradigm.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.