9 comments

Fiction East Asian

The girl, who lived with her family in Pakistan, was living day and night in a backward area where food and hunger was considered more than education. Mehak was a lower middle class girl. Mehak ,her mother and grandfather was living with her uncle and aunt and their family (her three daughters) in a house of four marlas . No one except her grandfather loved her . She was known as a burden for her aunt and uncle and was not considered good like others. After the death of her father she had no one even her mother couldn’t do anything . But Mehak thought she was hated by her mother because she was not beautiful and was a slacker, idle and lazy girl but the truth was that her mother couldn’t give her time because she was cleaning the house taking care of her aunt’s family but Mehak thought she didn’t like her .so she wanted to get out of a life where no one is with her.

       After Mehak's BBA result her aunt and uncle called her and said “ Mehak you are such a failure . Look at your marks . Did we pay your fee to get these marks”. She was very dishearted and sad and then she thought to go abroad to study and leave this place which was worse than a prison but they had no money. She passed her BBA exams with average marks . She went to her grandfather, she was hesitating because for the first time she asked her grandfather “either you send me abroad for further studies so I can go away from this place or I will commit suicide”. His grand father replied with tearful eyes “My girl how can you go abroad when we don’t have money for tortillas.” Mehak was not willing to understand and said “ we have only 2 ways . you are the only one who loves me , not even my mother and if you didn’t help me then my last place, I would visit, would be my grave.” With average marks how can she go abroad and that’s what was revolving around his grand father’s mind still he took forms of some universities of different countries like America, China, Malaysia, London and Turkey for her . She filled the forms and wrote on every form that if you didn’t give me scholarship then i will commit suicide. Mehak thought she would not get scholarship as she is not loved by anyone and is useless. Still her grandfather applied for her MBA .

     Twenty days later, a parcel arrived at their house that was received by her grandfather which was from Grand University of Malaysia. It said “ Dear Mehak we got your admission form . The last sentence made us uneasy and the Student Council of Great University of Malaysia are sponsoring you . You are going to be in grand university of Malaysia in the capital Kuala Lumpur .

     Mekak’s grandfather had tears in his eyes as if the waterfall of tears would flow any moment . He was happy as well as sad but the only thing he was worried about how is he going to arrange this large amount of money for her living ,food , needs, and clothes e.t.c. He borrowed some money from his friends and asked people to give him money he will soon return them their money so then he got some money to let Mehak go . Soon the day came when Mehak had to go to Malaysia and that’s when she told her mother ,aunt and uncle about going to Malaysia. Her Aunt and uncle thought that useless people cannot go abroad as they were jealous of her . Her mother for the first time hugged her and that’s when she realized how important Mehak was to her . She had tears in her eyes but Mehak had felt nothing about leaving them except her grandfather who loved her.

Mehak went to the airport and she had her flight to Malaysia. The airplane was peaceful, relaxing and it was a very first time Mehak was travelling on airplane. She felt very happy as if she is going to live like her happiest life in Malaysia. When she got out of the airplane she thought that Malaysia is just like a heaven. She felt different because she first time went to some other place except her own house that was very small and that’s what she thought world is but no ! This is world. 

    On the Airport she met Laura member of the student council from her university. She was here to welcome her . She took Mehak to her hostel ,that was near to the university. After some rest she ate food . Next day she went to the university with Laura . She explained her the rules. Laura took her to a great hall of the university where the other members of student council were already there . The members of the student council were David, Alice, John ,Henry, Laura and Adrian. Student council members have sponsored you because you wrote that you would commit suicide and you came on the behalf of a deserving student . Now you will fundraise with us in these four months and give us back our money. I If you didn’t return our money we will send you back . You are here so you need to find a job and you will live with Laura at her place for only 10 days and find a good job , an apartment, and give us our money back as well as pay your fee of these semesters .

   Mehak thought that Malaysia was going to be a heaven but she didn’t know that she had to do everything herself. The first three days she was up to finding her classes and all that . The fourth day she asked Adrian to find a job for her so she will start to give their money back . Adrian took her to a cloth shop but after a day or two they took her out as she was not what their demand was. Then she applied on a coffee shop . They said, "We are giving you a job, but if you do not meet our standards, we will expel you." And he said “ actually we want to start a new autumnal drink . Can you help us in that ?” And that’s when it reminds her of her house in Pakistan where her mom used to give her Rubri milk and she used to drink it . She told her manager “ Rubri milk( Rubri doodh) is a thick and sweet drink that is mainly found in the Pakistani part of Punjab.” The manager said “ This drink should be liked by people but first tell me its ingredients.” Mehak said “Rabri milk /doodh is made with sweetened milk and mixed with vermicelli(optional ), butter, and topped with dry fruits and chia seeds.” She said “ it’s really healthy and your hunger would be full after taking this" . She made the Rubri milk and the manager liked it because it taste heavenly. 

    The next day when she went to her university she told her friends of the healthy Rubri milk of Pakistan and she told them to try it once and you will try it again and again but trial is a condition . They didn’t wanted to waste their money so they didn’t try something new they are on they use to eat daily . Mehak got to know about it so she made a deal . Buy one glass of Rubri milk and get one cheese bun free. So the people said if we didn’t like Rubri milk then we will eat cheese bun . When they tried this drink they liked it a lot . The cafe's name was Beans ‘n creams cafe which got famous in the whole city because of the new Pakistani autumnal drink. Mehak got a high rank in the cafe and soon she got her job permanent. She used to pay the student council’s money back every day and soon she had her rent of house paid , her university fee paid , student council’s money paid and she started buying gifts for her family in Pakistan. She completed her 4 semesters and she told the manager of Beans ‘n Creams cafe that now she has to go back to Pakistan but beforehand I have a request. "Can you tell me recipe of the famous coffee in Malaysia in this cafe so when I go back to Pakistan I start my cafe and I add this coffee ." So he told her a good recipe. She went back to Pakistan and told the manager that now you know how to make this drink you can make it for your customers. I am going back to Pakistan. She met all the students and teachers especially the members of student council .She went back happily and when she arrived , everyone was very happy and they were all very proud of this slacker , idle and lazy girl who is now an intelligent girl and completed her degree with good grades and the girl who had a job in Malaysia’s cafe. When she told everyone about Rubri milk her mom was very happy and she hugged her and promised to give love that she wanted and deserves .

                           The End 


October 16, 2020 20:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Emaan Ahmad
06:52 Oct 17, 2020

Wow . This story is amazing .especially the cafe part .

Reply

Huma Imran
10:28 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emaan Zahid
09:56 Oct 21, 2020

Yes the cafe part was really amazing good job ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Ahmed Imran
06:54 Oct 17, 2020

Good job! Keep on writing like that. Your story was awesome the autumnal drinks part was amazing.

Reply

Huma Imran
10:29 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ryan Dupont
18:19 Oct 27, 2020

I enjoyed reading your story. I like stories that give me insight into cultures I'm not very familiar with. The family dynamic was very interesting. Well done.

Reply

Huma Imran
20:34 Oct 30, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emaan Zahid
12:09 Oct 20, 2020

Amazing :) . I like both the title and story

Reply

Huma Imran
12:09 Oct 20, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.