The Last Arena

Submitted into Contest #256 in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Suspense Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

The stench of blood and sweat mingled with the clamor of the arena as I sat silent amidst the commotion. My gaze was fixed on Silas who stood chained in the pit below. His eyes were as sharp as ever as they darted across the enclosure. The air hung heavy, saturated with the anticipation of violence.

"Fight or die! Fight or die!" the crowd chanted, their voices a relentless, thunderous wave.

"Fight and die," I whispered to myself.

A shiver coursed through me. A memory clawed its way to the surface, dragging me back to that night.

The alley had been dank, the walls closing in on us. Our breaths came out in ragged spurts, mingling with the fog that hugged the cobblestones. We were cornered, two rats in the jaws of a city that showed no mercy to its vermin.

"Are you sure this is the only way?" Silas's voice cut through the silence.

My hands trembled as I clutched the plasmacutter, its blade gleaming in the dim light. "There's no turning back now."

Fear twisted his features, mirrored in the grim set of my own jaw. We were kindred spirits. In that moment, we were the architects of our own destruction.

"Remember, Ezra, we’re in this together," he had said, and together we stepped into the abyss, our hands stained with guilt.

"Silas!" I shouted, the name ripping from my lungs, futile against the roar of the mob. He didn't hear me; he couldn't. But it didn’t matter. My cry was not so much for him as it was the futile plea of a soul seeking absolution.

Time seemed to slow. The clatter of Silas's chains was a macabre symphony heralding the clash about to take place. A monstrous figure emerged from the opposite end of the coliseum — a hulking beast of a man whose shadow eclipsed the dusty battleground. His sweat-drenched muscles rippled under thick, studded leather armor. A menacing electric thunderwhip coiled around his left arm, and a sleek pulse axe glinted in his right hand. Indeed, this was Praedo, the current Invictus of the Liberty Gauntlet.

A deafening roar erupted, marking the commencement of this deadly dance. I felt every cheer like a lash against my back. The crowd’s hunger for violence gnawed at my insides, on the remnants of my conscience.

Silas, now unbound, moved with a fluidity that belied his situation. Chains discarded, he became a blur of motion, darting beneath the behemoth's thunderous blows. The grace of a panther, tempered by the fire of desperation. His lithe form twisted and turned in stark contrast to Praedo’s lumbering force that sought to crush him.

With each precise pivot and calculated sidestep, I could almost feel the rush of air as it passed by his cheek, the heat of exertion that flushed his skin. The sound of grunts and heavy breaths filled the arena, mingling with the cheers and jeers of the crowd. My heart raced as Silas fought against his giant opponent. When the thunderwhip grazed Silas’s ribs, I winced, feeling a sharp jolt of pain lancing through me as if it were my own body.

My hands clenched into fists, fingernails digging into my palms. Every punch that Silas threw was a strike against my own conscience. With each hit, I felt the walls of my guilt crumbling.

"Come on, Silas," I murmured under my breath. With each swift movement, he was a living memory of days gone by. His sharp reflexes mirrored the times we stood side by side, battling the forces that sought to oppress us, our backs pressed together against the weight of the world.

The behemoth roared, a sound of frustration that echoed off the stone walls. His large pulse axe swiped through empty space once again. Silas, always the charmer, flashed a grin that did not quite reach his eyes. It was a grimace masked in bravado, armor against the inevitable.

I could see it then — the toll each dodge took on him, the slight stagger that began to creep into his steps. He still danced, but the tempo was slowing, the rhythm shifting towards something somber and final.

"Keep moving," I whispered as if my voice could carry over the commotion and instill strength. But this was his fight, his atonement. I was a bystander now, a ghost of our collective sins, forced to witness the reckoning from the sidelines, powerless and choked by regret.

The taste of iron filled my mouth, and I realized I had bitten my lip hard enough to draw blood — a fitting communion. My pulse hammered in my ears marching in time with Silas's faltering steps.

As Praedo readied another strike, I closed my eyes, unable to bear the sight.

The acrid scent of blood and sweat coalesced in the arena, a perfume of violence. Silas's breaths came in ragged gasps. My own breath hitched as the world around me dimmed, the present fading into the past - one defined by desperation.

We had stood shoulder to shoulder in the claustrophobic alleyway. The cool metal of stolen goods weighing heavy in my grip and someone’s fresh blood staining my hair. "It's now or never, Ezra," Silas had said, his voice low and urgent. We were cornered by need- the constant gnawing of hunger, the mocking echo of our empty pockets. The risk had loomed large, but the reward promised a way out.

"Let's do it," I had replied, my voice betraying no hint of fear. Together, we crossed the line, sealing our fates with a shared nod. The heist was supposed to be our salvation. Instead, it unfurled into our damnation.

A roar from the crowd yanked me back to the merciless now. Silas stumbled, his footprints painting a tale of weariness in the sand. Praedo advanced, his shadow stretching over Silas. Each grain of sand that clung to Silas's skin, each droplet of sweat that traced the lines of exhaustion on his face, compounded the guilt and regret on my own soul.

"Get up, Silas!" I wanted to scream, but my words turned to dust. His name was a desperate plea on my lips as he strained to stand, the deafening roars of the crowd taunting him with every weak and wobbling step.

The behemoth towered over him, a mountain eclipsing the sun. Silas looked up, defiance etching lines into his bruised face, even as his body accepted the inevitability of defeat. I could see in his eyes the reflection of the moment we had sealed this pact together.

As the pulse axe rose, time stretched taut, a thread ready to snap. In that endless second, Silas's life played before my eyes — a reel of memories projected in my mind. I felt each impact before it landed, every blow a hammer to my chest.

"Silas," I muttered, the word lost amidst the cacophony, a whisper against thunder. With brutal grace, Praedo’s pulse axe descended and Silas crumpled to the ground, the sand claiming him.

____

The pandemonium of the coliseum faded behind me as I staggered through the archway. My steps were heavy, carrying the weight of what I had just witnessed. The clamor became a hollow ringing in my ears. My hands trembled, slick with both a cold sweat and the heat of guilt.

Every step I took away from the blood-soaked arena was a challenge. Each movement a betrayal to his memory. The air outside was cool, yet it offered no relief.

"Should've been me," the words clawed up my throat. The words were unbidden but true. We had committed the crime together. It was meant to be our liberation. Instead, it became Silas's undoing.

I leaned against the rough stone wall, my breath ragged. My eyes squeezed shut, only to bring an onslaught of memories. Silas's laughter, his infectious smile, his playful glances. The thrill of our plan, the confidence that it was foolproof, the desperation that had driven us to that fateful night — all played out before me.

"Confess," the thought crept into my mind. Unburden my soul, disclose the secrets that had claimed my friend's life. But within that same thought lurked the reality of consequence. A future wrapped in chains, my body broken beneath the Invictus's blows, an audience howling for my blood.

No. I couldn't. The price of confession was too steep; not just for me, but for the others who still had a chance. To reveal our sin would unravel the fragile threads that held our hidden world together, to risk the lives of the innocents entwined with mine.

The bridge loomed, a silhouette against the sky. I approached it conscience-stricken. Below, dark waters churned. Alone, I peered over the railing, the cold metal biting into my palms.

"Silas," I murmured as a prayer. He'd have laughed at me standing here, accused me with that knowing look of taking life too seriously. But Silas wasn't here - couldn't be here - and that was a blade twisting in my gut.

I closed my eyes, deeply inhaling the scents of damp earth and rust. I saw us: young, brash, invincible. All our lives we had charged through the world side by side until desperation led us astray. Our shared crime - a moment’s decision, a lifetime's regret - was now an anchor dragging me into the depths of defeat.

"Should've been me," I whispered into the void. It was truth, raw and unforgiving; Silas had taken my place in chains, in combat, in death. His final act, a courageous sacrifice, left me here, haunted by what-ifs.

"Forgive me." The words barely slipped past my lips. A gust of wind surged as if urging me forward. My heart thrummed a frenetic rhythm. It was time to make a choice.

"Be at peace, my brother," I said, releasing the railing. The ground rushed away as I surrendered to gravity's embrace. Air roared past. A feeling of resolution bloomed in my chest.

Water enveloped me, shockingly cold, stealing my breath. Darkness clung to me, a shroud as I plunged deeper into the icy depths. The world above became a distant memory. My lungs ached for air, yet I forced them to accept the liquid night.

Silas's eyes, wide with the horror of realization, flashed before me, our mistake unfurling in my mind. We had thought ourselves clever, outsmarting the system that dictated our lives. But our plan crumbled, leaving ruin in its wake. A simple job, we had told ourselves, one last score to set us free. Instead, our hubris birthed a torrent of consequences.

I could hear Silas's voice, strained with quiet desperation, whispering in that forsaken alley. "For freedom," he had said, his hand gripping mine.

The pressure built around me, compressing my chest. A chorus of accusations echoed in my mind. "Forgive me," I murmured in a flurry of bubbles meant for Silas.

As the darkness consumed me, my thoughts began to still. The violence of the arena, the bloodstained sand, the roar of the crowd, all faded into insignificance. Here, in the crushing solitude, there was no fight left to witness.

The water cradled me, indifferent and infinite, and in its depths, I discovered a hollow peace. Here, there was no need for forgiveness. The water was cleansing, not of sin, but of the need to cling to what was lost. It was surrender, not to oblivion, but to acceptance.

And so, I let go, the last breath slipping from my lips, an offering to the deep. There, in the quiet of the sea, I was no longer haunted and hunted. I was simply part of the vast, unending cycle, my story concluded, my journey complete.

June 27, 2024 20:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.