0 comments

American Drama High School

This story contains sensitive content


Gideon is a superhero with physical and mental abilities far beyond the vast majority of the human species bar his teammates. Unlike the comic book character, Gideon cannot move faster than a speeding bullet but is a marathon-level athlete. Gideon can fly, although he requires a wing, and, with the aid of a jet-pack, can leap over tall buildings in a single bound. His up close and personal fighting skills are akin to those of any martial arts warrior, and his proficiency with a vast array of weapons is masterful, whether up close or at a distance.

Gideon is not a strange visitor from another planet but an all-American red-blooded human, conceived and birthed in a small rural Northern California town. With powers and abilities far beyond those of most mortal men, Gideon fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way.

Gideon is America's deadliest creation—at least, he was until he lost his mind and, thus, his superhuman powers.

2009

Dad, “I am so proud of you, son. You worked hard to become an Eagle Scout and earn your God and Country award.”

Gideon: “If not for your tolerance, patience, and guidance, Dad, I would not have learned the numerous skills that prepare me for military service.”

Dad, “Have you decided on what you want to do?”

Gideon, “I want to be an Air Force Medical Para Jumper.”

Dad, “That is a high bar, son, and honorable. PJs drop into missions that have already gone haywire. You will be trained to run medical rescue ops in the harshest of environments worldwide.”

Gideon, “I understand. You know how much I love our scout rescue scenarios. I want to join the local Civil Air Patrol. I was thinking about EMT school, but PJs get National Paramedic Certification. I will keep with the swim team and drop wrestling and track next season. I will run in the mornings. Some friends and I are forming a SCARS martial arts training group. That way, I have a flexible schedule.”

Dad, “I have supported your safe and fun choices. You have become proficient at the State level in track and wrestling. I will support this plan as long as you keep up your High School courses with at least an above-B average. I have no doubt you will fly through the initial air Force PJ qualification programs. You may very well get the Air Force to pay for med school if you choose.”

Gideon, “Done deal, Dad. I have appreciated your involvement in scouting and our scuba diving club. Not many other friends are as blessed with fathers who are such dedicated, involved leaders.”

Dad, “At least they have a few of us dads to guide them. I believe many would have become drug culture teens and joined troublesome high school groups.”

Gideon, “I sure would like to gain some weight. I am tired of being scrawny. The girls are only attracted to the beefy guys.”

Dad, “I totally get it. I wouldn’t categorize you as scrawny, but you will benefit from bulking up. Your bone structure and height are mature enough to start heavier weight lifting beyond the aerobic exercises limiting you thus far. How about we get you going up in weight tomorrow? You will be surprised how fast you will bulk up now your musculoskeletal structure is ready.”


2022

Doc Johnson, “Howdy Gideon. I’m Doc Johnston. How are you doing, son?”

Gideon, “Got anything for this hea, hea, hea, headache? Where am I? ”

Doc, “You're in Walter Reed Hospital, Gideon.”

Gideon, “Why? I feel fine except for this headache, and my memory is a wee slow.”

Doc, “You were brought here after a hostage rescue team recovered you out of the Middle East. I am not privy to the details.”

Gideon, “I was captured?”

Doc, “Yes, Gideon. You arrived here three days ago. Do you remember anything?”

Gideon, “Like wh, wh, wh, what?”

Doc, “What is the last thing you remember?”

Gideon, “I, I, I, I …”

Doc, “That’s alright, Gideon.”

Gideon, “My head still aches.”

Doc, “I’ll get the nurse to bring you something.”

Gideon, “Th, thank you … What’s your name again?”

Doc, “Doc Johnson. Your neuro exam is unremarkable except for the short memory loss, stutter, and decreased general sensation. Your head CT is normal, and bloodwork shows your albumin protein is low, which goes along with your weight loss. Thus, you’re in no acute danger. I am going to schedule a walking EEG to rule out any non-motor seizures and want to see you in a week. Otherwise, I believe you will do best at home in a familiar environment and good home cooking. Any questions?”

Gideon, “N, N, No, sir.”

Dr. Johnson walks out of the room and meets Gideon's wife in the hall.

Dr Johnson, "Jenny. I am not sure how much of Gideon's memory and issues are neurological or denial, but there is no reason to keep him in the hospital. The rest of his care can be treated as outpatient therapy."

Jenny and Gideon’s two children walk into the room. Jenny gives her husband a long hug, “Hi, sweetheart.”

Gideon, “Hi Jenny. Hi, kids.”

Jenny, “The doctor says you can go home. He has scheduled you for some outpatient therapy.”

Gideon, “Yes, he told me, but I’m alright. I just have a headache.”

*

Jenny, “I want to stop at Walmart on the way home. There are a few things I want to get.”

Gideon, “Sure.”

The two walk through the parking lot hand in hand when Gideon suddenly pulls Jenny behind a wall support beam and shuffles her behind him. He then looks covertly out into the parking lot.

Jenny, “Gideon, what in Lord's name are you doing?”

Gideon, “A gunshot. Stay behind me.”

Jenny, “That bang? It was just that old truck door slamming.”

Gideon, “Where?”

Jenny points to an old beat-up truck, “There.”

Another guy gets out from the driver’s side and slams his door.

Gideon, “Guess I’m a little on edge. OK, let’s go.”

*

Gideon awakes screaming, shaking, hyperventilating, and profusely sweating. His eyes are wide and scanning the room.

Jenny, “It’s OK, sweetheart. It was just a bad dream. Want to tell me about it?”

Gideon looks at his wife with knitted brows, snatches his Glock, then runs to the bedroom window's left side wall and quickly scans outside. He rolls under it and peeks out the right window's side.

Gideon Jr., their ten-year-old son, runs into the room, “What’s wrong, Daddy?”

Jenny, “It’s OK. Daddy just had a bad dream.” Then, she escorts her son out of the bedroom.

Gideon listens as they walk down the hall, “Why is Daddy sitting in the corner with his gun?”

Jenny returns and sits beside her husband, who looks calmer but still visibly shaken. “How are you feeling?”

Gideon, “I have a headache. I want to, to, to . . . to start the therapy sessions,” then hands her his gun, “Please lock this up where I can’t find it.”

Jenny hugs him until he relaxes.

*

Susan, “Hello Gideon. My name is Susan. I am glad you decided to start the program.”

Gideon, “I have to. It has been a month. My memory is shot. That’s why I’m reading from this notepad. Reading helps my stuttering. Nothing is getting better. Things are getting bad at home. The nightmares are horrible. I’m jumpy, anxious, and angry all the time. I am fearful of silly things. I’m not me. I am fearful, constantly on guard. I am afraid to sleep for fear of the nightmares, so I’m constantly fatigued. I’m isolating myself from my family because I s,s,s scare them with my reactions to loud sounds. I wake up screaming. I feel emotionally disconnected from everyone, my family. It’s horrible. I’m an emotional wreck. I can’t live like this. . .” Gideon starts crying.

Susan, “Here’s a tissue.”

Gideon, “I have suicidal thoughts but will not follow through. I could not do that to my family.”

Susan, “I understand. You are not alone, Gideon. Those are common symptoms from Traumatic Brain Injuries or TBIs and why we term what you have as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD.”

Gideon, “Right. TBIs

 and PTSD. Dr . . . “

Susan, “Johnson.”

Gideon, “Yeah, that’s him. He said my head CT was normal, but a new blood test showed some elevated brain tissue levels.”

Susan, “Correct. Your Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) was elevated. You’re a medical guy, so you will understand that Astrocyte brain cells release these proteins into the bloodstream and spinal fluid when damaged from head trauma. We used to say, ‘The worst injuries are the ones no one can see, ‘but now we have our first test for brain damage, which is very recent.”

Gideon, “So where do we go from here?”

Susan, “We will start with Prolonged Exposure therapy. I will teach you how to approach your trauma-related memories, feelings, and situations. You will learn that these memories are not dangerous and how to deal with them. I will teach you how to reframe your thoughts.”

Gideon, “Sounds like a plan. When do we start.”

Susan, “Right now. You can tell me about those recurring dreams, as they are probably what happened around the time of your injury.”

Gideon, “My memory is blurry, but I know you're right. I have bits and pieces from our last rescue mission.”

Susan, “Great. Please tell me what you remember. I have security clearance for your last mission. I read the after-action report.”

Gideon, “My dreams are very v, v, vivid. My wife had me start a dream journal. I remember falling, not skydiving ba, ba, ba, but . . . “

Susan, “Gideon? Gideon?” She then taps Gideon on the knee, wherein he startles.”

Gideon, “Hugh?”

Susan, “Gideon, what did you see?”

Gideon, “I was falling then the ground, n, n, n, no a rock. I hit a rock.”

Susan, “Anything else?”

Gideon, “I was in a dark ca, ca, cold room with loud m, m, music, Not music . . . noise, loud noise.”

Susan, “May I feel your pulse?”

Gideon places his fingers on his neck for ten seconds, “160.”

Susan, “You're sweating. How do you feel?”

Gideon, “Anxious. Shaky.”

Susan, “That will be a good recall for today. I do want to teach you a meditation technique.”

Gideon, “OK. What’s it.”

Susan, “It’s called mindfulness, a Buddhist technique. I want you to sit with your eyes closed and focus on your breath.”

Gideon, “OK.”

Susan, “Pay attention to your breath, nothing else. If your mind wanders, refocus on your breath. Let’s practice now.”

Gideon, “OK.”

Susan, “How was that?”

Gideon, “I kept thinking about other things. Ha, har, hard to focus.”

Susan, “It will get easier. How do you feel now?”

Gideon, “Calmer. Pulse 80.”

Susan, “Great. Practice that twice to three times daily for 20 minutes. I have some connections for yoga classes, or you can find free courses on YouTube. I suggest you order some multicanabanoid CBD oil and take a dropper twice daily. It is helpful for anxiety, unlike THC, which can increase anxiety. I messaged you the online link. Here is a list of some therapies we will address.”

Gideon reads, “Yoga, Transcranial magnetic stimulation, support groups, aerobic exercise …”

Susan, “We will work on your stuttering next visit. Three days from now, is that good for you?”

Gideon, “Yes, Mame.”

*

Six months later

General of the Airforce, “We are here today to honor a super-hero, a man who showed bravery beyond the call of duty in his efforts along with his teammates to save a downed aircraft in hostile territory.

Medical Para Jumper Captain Gideon Allen Radcliff and his elite team found themselves after parachuting into a hot LZ surrounded by hostile forces. While his team worked on saving the lives of the pilot and crew of the downed C130, Captain Radcliff drew fire upon himself after flanking the attackers. He was able to subdue five of the enemy with small arms fire, then found himself pursued by four more of the assailants. He was able to keep the enemy combatants at bay while his team saved the plane's six-member crew. In his heroic efforts, Captain Radcliff was shot, knocking him off a cliff. After bouncing down the fifty-meter incline, he was captured. He survived six months of isolation and torture until a joint Air Force and Navy Seal Team Six Hostage Rescue Team brought him home.

Captain Radcliff suffered numerous physical injuries during his fall that healed during his capture but returned home, like so many of our warriors, with a broken mind. As we all know, our physical power is lost without the power of our mind. Thanks to our PTSD multidisciplinary treatment program, Captain Gideon Radcliff has made a significant recovery.

I am honored to present the president of the United States of America.”

President Harris, “It gives me great pleasure, and I am the one honored to present the Medal of Honor to a true hero, Medical Para Jumper Captain Gideon A. Radcliff.”

August 17, 2024 02:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.