1 comment

General

"I can't sleep. It's almost like I can hear the zombies outside the camp. I'm worried that they might get through the fence. Jerome and Felix are doing tonight's patrol, and that worries me. They're not really known to be the most observant guys here. They might not notice one of them sneaking in. I don't want to die. All I want to do is see the sunrise tomorrow. The view from the top of this parking garage must be epic. I've also finally made some friends here. Maybe I should go out and check on Jerome and Felix. In case I don't come back, my name is Samuel Davis."

"Just finished checking up on them. They're both doing fine. Nothing unusual happening with the zombies tonight. They say that they're mostly keeping their distance from the camp. I can't say that makes me feel any better though. I've never known zombies to be patient. Maybe they're planning something? No. That can't be it. At least, I really hope it's not. I heard rumors about the zombies becoming more organized. That can't be true though. After all, we heard it from some guy we found on the street. He might've just been crazy. But there's always a chance. Maybe I'll go check the perimeter of camp again."

"Something's not right. There aren't any zombies at all anymore. This hasn't ever happened before. Usually there's always a couple zombies milling around the camp every night. Tonight I don't see a single one near the camp. This is really starting to freak me out. I'm going to go talk to Betty. She'll probably know what's going on. She is pretty smart."

"Betty doesn't have a clue as to what's going on either. She woke up Tina too. She agreed that we should be ready for anything. She says that she and Betty noticed some of the zombies flanking another group of survivors. Betty left the tent to tell Larry about the whole thing. Now it's just me and Tina. I'm going to go back to my tent to try to get some sleep."

"Everyone's up now. We're getting ready to leave at a moment's notice. Larry agreed that the behavior of the zombies is strange. Everyone's armed too. Jerome and Felix are back from their posts as well. We're packing everything up now. We've been scouting out a nearby supermarket as a possible place to rest and loot. My friend Grant found me while we were packing up our tents. He says that the zombies have probably gone out to get more zombies to try and surround us. That seems plausible. After all, besides a straight on charge, surrounding the enemy is the most basic strategy. Although I'm worried that we might be in more trouble than we think. We should-"

"I can't believe I made it out. They came on us like a flood. We weren't ready. Jerome and Felix stalled them for a couple minutes before they ran out of ammo. I think I saw someone grab a shotgun and fire a few blasts at the zombies. Someone else charged right into the horde armed with nothing other than a couple of boxing gloves. They didn't last too long. I think. Maybe they're still alive. The zombies are definitely getting more organized, though. Me and Grant got away. I think everyone else either got eaten or infected. Maybe we aren't the only ones who got away though. I think I saw Betty and Tina running away too. We're going to go look for them now. In case he doesn't make it back, his name is Grant Robert."

"We found them. Tina and Betty were hiding in a nearby bookstore. The place seems fairly secure. We're going to rest here for the night and go back to whatever is left of the camp tomorrow to see what we can find. I'm hoping that someone else survived. Tina has a mild cough. Betty tripped on a rock and cut her hand. Grant's already asleep. I'm going to go to sleep now too. See you at sunrise tomorrow diary."

"Tina was infected. She bit me. Grant and Betty shot her. They took my stuff. They're waiting until I finish this entry so they can take my diary too. They want something to remember me by. I'm gonna tell them that they better not burn it. I can't believe that I made it through the apocalypse longer than a month. I'm happy. Seeing as this is my last entry, I can say anything I want. I love you Betty. I'll miss you Grant. If you meet someone new, I want you to give them my diary. Tell them they can keep it. Tell them about me. Tell them about Jerome and Felix. Tell them about Larry as well. Tell them about Tina. Go easy on them. They might be like me, stuck in a situation they don't want to be in. At the same time, don't let them take advantage of you. Be merciful. Be kind. Be empathetic. Be polite. These are some things that seem to have been lost along with our safety. Though there are zombies, we need to make sure we don't become monsters ourselves. If we forget the basic rights all humans have, we become the worst monsters. That's all I have to say on that topic. We're sitting on the top of the parking garage now. I was right. The view is stunning from up here. At least I got to see one last sunrise. Goodbye diary"-Samuel Davis.

"Hello diary. My name's Cody Williams. I'm not sure how comfortable I am writing in a dead guy's diary. But this is what his friends said he wanted, so I guess it's fine. Before I get too into this, I respect you, Samuel Davis. Good job lasting a month. Sincerely, Cody Williams. P.S. Just so you know, the sun is setting right now. I have to tell you, it looks amazing."

April 05, 2020 06:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sam Ho
06:51 Apr 13, 2020

Hi Perry, I really like your story. I think the zombie apocalypse is particularly fitting right now. It does feel like we are in one sometimes. "Though there are zombies, we need to make sure we don't become monsters ourselves. If we forget the basic rights all humans have, we become the worst monsters. ". This quote is right on point. I also like different people picking up and carry on the diary. This story has legs and could be turned into a novel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.