0 comments

Holiday


Toronto, Canada 1902

A few days before Christmas


           The feather duster swept over the rows of already clean keys. Benjamin shuffled around to the other side of the desk; his shoulders hunched as he slowly made his way to the front door of his little Inn. His gnarled hand carefully gripped the brass door handle and with effort pulled the heavy oak door open; a small smile formed on his face as he watched the snowflakes gracefully fall from the night sky. The winter wonderland outside his Inn lifted his spirits just enough to help him forget his troubles.

           The last thing Benjamin wanted was to go through the ever-growing pile of over due bills. In the last couple of years, people began to prefer the grand ritzy hotels to his comfortable, cozy Inn and due to this change he began to fall behind in paying the cleaning woman, the chimney sweep, the cook as well as the people who supplied him with ice, wood and coal.

           With great reluctance, he walked back inside and picked up his bills before moving to the gathering room. Hands shaking, it took him a few minutes to strike the match; the fourth match was lucky. He dropped the tiny flame into the fireplace and carefully stoked it until the fire roared. Grunting, Benjamin lowered his poor aching bones into the overstuffed armchair; he placed his wire framed spectacles on and began to go through the dozen bills.

           “So many bills…what am I going to do?” murmured Benjamin sorrowfully as his grip on the bills slackened

           The bills fluttered to the floor as he covered his face with his wrinkled, freckled hands. Suddenly the little bell above to the door to the Inn jingled merrily, Benjamin turned to see a middle-aged man glancing around the foyer. As quickly as he was able, he gathered the bills and shuffled to the check in desk. A tiny spark of hope flickered in his heart, a warm smile formed on his lips and he welcomed his guest.

           “Good evening sir! Would you like a room that over looks the street or the courtyard in the back of the Inn?” smiled Benjamin softly

           “I personally would like a view of the courtyard…are there other rooms available? I’m in need of a dozen rooms.” asked the man

           “Yes, indeed good sir! I will have those rooms prepared right away for you.” exclaimed Benjamin joyfully, “If you would like to wait in the gathering area, while the rooms are prepared. Do you and your friends require a bite to eat?”

           “My friends and I would be grateful for some hot soup if possible. They should be here any moment.” replied the man gratefully, “Aww I am grateful the fireplace is hot, it is rather cold outside. I will take the bill in the morning.”

           “I will see to your needs straight away.”

           While the man sat by the fireplace, Benjamin quickly shuffled into the kitchen just as Mrs. Bell and Mm. Hart were cleaning up the small kitchen.

           “Ladies, what great fortune we have this evening! We have filled thirteen rooms! Mrs. Bell, I hope it is not too much trouble for you to make some soup and Mm. Hart if you would be so kind as to prepare the rooms.”

           The women stared at Benjamin surprised by this good news, they quickly jumped up and began to make the last-minute preparations for their guests. Benjamin quickly told Mm. Hart the room numbers before moving back to the front desk. He frowned when he saw that the bills, he placed in the drawer of the desk were missing. Before he could look further, the door opened and in walked a dozen men.

           Benjamin couldn’t believe his luck; this fortune may help him pay one or two of his bills. The men warmed themselves by the fire as they dined on hot potato soup and thick slices of bread. Mm. Hart smiled at Benjamin letting him know that the rooms were ready to receive their visitors.

           “Gentlemen, your rooms are ready.” announced Benjamin happily handing each man a key.


Later that night…

           

           Benjamin sat up in his bed writing down his thoughts in his journal, eagerly recording that night’s events.

           ‘This Inn has been in my family for the last 100 years, of course improvements have been made as the years progressed. In recent years, business has very slow; so much so that I have been worrying that I would have to declare bankruptcy! This has been my fear for so long that I have been unsure of what I would do or where I would go. This Inn has been my home since I was born; I cannot imagine not living here.

           I can only hope that with the luck of thirteen guests I can afford to stay open into the new year. Perhaps I will able to pay off one or two of my bills to keep the wolves at bay! Oh, having a little money to keep my Inn would make my heart happy. If only I could ask my father what he would do. I can only hope that he would be proud of me. I can just imagine my parents and my sweet Penny watching over me; perhaps it was them who sent me this miracle…this Christmas miracle.’

           That night as Benjamin fell asleep, he felt comforted knowing that he wouldn’t have to give up the only home he had ever known just yet. ‘A Christmas miracle indeed’ was Benjamin’s final thoughts before he fell into a deep, peaceful slumber.


The next morning…


           Benjamin happily made his way down the stairs; he was eager to attend to a busy Inn. Instead of being greeted by one of the guests from last night, Mrs. Belle greeted him with a smile, though there was a hint of worry in her smile.

           “Good morning Benjamin! How did you sleep?” greeted Mrs. Belle

           “For the first time in years, I actually slept peacefully. Now where are our guests? Did they already have breakfast?” asked Benjamin eagerly

           “I just woke moments ago myself and I found this envelope with your name on it.” explained Mrs. Belle, “I haven’t heard anyone moving about the Inn.”

           Before Benjamin could say anything else, Mm. Hart entered the room with a worried expression on her face. Wringing her hands, her voice quivered as she told them the news:

           “I found a note on one of the guest doors, explaining that they had to leave early this morning but that they had left an envelope for you Sir.”

           Confusion filled him as he took the large brown envelope from Mrs. Belle. He struggled to open the package with his arthritic hands; finally, he ripped the envelope open. His eyes widened when he saw the contents.

           With a shaky hand, Benjamin pulled out the note and read aloud:

           “Dear Benjamin,

                       I wanted to thank you for a truly wonderful stay. Your Inn is welcoming and cozy which is rarely found nowadays; we truly enjoyed the genuine welcome you gave us upon our arrival. We would like to request the same rooms three times a year every year for the foreseeable future. I believe that this will cover our bill. Thank you again for such a wonderful stay!


                                                           Sincerely,

                                                                       Chris Kringle

           Benjamin pulled out a large sum of money, he quickly counted…he stumbled backward; Mm. Hart helped him sit down on the stool. The two women watched him with curiosity, both were dying to know how much money was in envelope.

           “Well, how much did they pay us? Is it enough to pay our bills?” asked Mrs. Belle sweat beading her forehead in anticipation

           “$1000 dollars!” stuttered Benjamin his eyes wide with shock, “We will have enough for the entire new year and maybe more!”

           “This is a Christmas miracle!” exclaimed Mrs. Belle and Mm. Hart laughing

           Benjamin smiled softly, his heart was full of peace and joy. His little Inn was saved and would stay in his family for years to come.

           “A Christmas miracle indeed.” smiled Benjamin as he read the note once more

           The snow continued to fall from the heavens, Benjamin watched the snow from where he sat on the stool. This would be a day to remember in the years to follow; knowing that he would be able to keep the Inn was such a comfort. The next time he saw Chris Kringle, he would have to thank him for such generosity. Benjamin moved into the gathering area and sat in front of the roaring fire; for the first time in years he didn’t feel like an old man with crushing financial problems. This Mr. Kringle had saved his home, and he didn’t want that kindness to go unrewarded, but for now he would simple enjoy this Christmas eve morning in front of the fireplace to reflect not only on his family that rested in Heaven and on the Christmas miracle; he pondered on why this mysterious benefactor Chris Kringle would help him when he could have simple stayed the night and paid the regular fee.

           ‘It is best to simply be grateful for what was given and pass that kindness on to the next person.’ thought Benjamin smiling

December 25, 2019 04:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.