0 comments

Fiction Suspense Science Fiction

I wake up to the sun shining on my face. It's unusual since I usually stay in bed until the very last minute before getting ready for work. I don't think I've ever woken before my alarm before, and it's nice not feeling so rushed. It is almost relaxing that I can lie in my comfy, cozy bed for a bit longer before my alarm goes off. 

A memory of a younger myself pops up into my head. When I was a kid, my mom would walk into my room several times each morning to get me up for school. The frustration in her voice as she is trying to stir me from my sleep. And when I would finally wake up, she would have a warm smile on her face as she would sit at the breakfast table, eating breakfast while reading the newspaper. She always said to "be glad for every morning" and "it's a new opportunity to be a better you". It's a stark opposite of the frustrated tone she had moments early when she was trying to wake me up. I'm not sure why, but this memory makes me smile.

I reached my phone to check my emails, but I never got the chance when I noticed the time. It's 9 am-- two hours later than my usual "wake up" time. Forty minutes late to my important meeting with my big client that will launch more career to new levels.

My heart is beating so fast that it feels like it's going to explode. Andrandlin is coursing through my body as I am in full-blown panic mode. Why didn't I hear my alarm? How did this happen? 

As I jump up from bed to brush my teeth in the bathroom, I try to unlock my phone with a shaky hand to figure out what happened. First, I check my alarm app on my phone to see if I made a mistake. I know that it won't make a difference, but I need to find out why I didn't hear my alarm. Every single alarm was deleted. I know I set ten alarms the night before with the snooze button, so it would have to keep on beeping until I turned it off. I know I checked nearly a half dozen times before I went to bed to make sure that everything is ok. This doesn't make any sense. Maybe, my phone glitched or something because I don't think I would have turned off my alarm in my sleep. I would have remembered waking up to turn it off. 

And the night before, I called my mom because I was super nervous that I would oversleep. How ironic. Why didn't I hear her call? That's when I notice that at the top corner of my phone, it says "no service." I live in the middle of the city, where I normally have 5G to make sure I have the best cellular signal for my job. I try to switch my phone to "WIFI calling" to call my assistant, but my phone freezes.

I've spent too much time trying to figure out what happened when I should be getting ready and leaving for work. I think I broke some record because I was able to get dressed and was out the door in less than two minutes. If today wasn't so important, I would be impressed by this accomplishment. But I feel like I can't breathe, and I can't stop shaking. Without trying to trip in my heels, I try my best to run out of my apartment building to try to grab a cab or book an Uber (if I can get my phone to work again).

I think the universe is against me today because there is literally no cabs in sight. Feeling like I'm running out of options, I start heading in the direction of my work while simultaneously looking for a taxi and trying to turn my phone back on. After a few minutes, I finally flagged down a cab and get in, telling the driver my work's address. I'm hoping that this will be the beginning of my luck changing at the back of my mind. Maybe the client is running late or cancelled. Maybe everything will work out in my favour, but a part of me doubts this optimism. 

After I pay the driver, I jog (in heels, to remind you) inside the office building, and I nearly get tackled by one of the security guards. Seconds before crashing into me, he realises who I am and grabs my arms to slow himself down.

"I'm so sorry, Ms Carey. I didn't know it was you until the last second." The guard says apologetically and quickly lets go of me when he realised he still has his hands on me. I do my best to give him a smile and walk past him to the elevators. I hear his few seconds delayed response as the elevator doors open. "Have a nice day! And, sorry again...about that. Sorry!" In the elevator, I check my phone again, and it is still frozen. Lovely, just what I need right now.

When I get to my floor, the first thing I see is my assistant, Emma, looking panicked...and looking for something like a panicked animal in the wild. Her eyes go wide when they finally lock on to me before she runs over to me like her life depends on it. 

"Ms Carey...where have you been? Is everything ok? I can't believe you did that. Mr Riley is doing his best to salvage what you did, but--he's mad. Like, really mad, and he wants to see you." Emma quickly rambles. And, then it hit me what she said-- "doing his best to salvage what you did". What did I do? I don't have any recollection of being anything but professional. 

"Emma, what are you talking about? What happened?" I say, cutting straight to the point. Instead of letting my mind wander and guess, it's best to directly find out the source.

"You don't know?" Emma looks like she was slapped and also surprised by my question. My non-response-- waiting for her to elaborate to clue me in on what she is talking about-- quickly answers her question. "Early this morning, you posted a video--well, an audio clip on Instagram about someone. It's bad. You sound sort of drunk, and you are making fun of someone. You don't say who you are talking about, but--wow, you have a mouth."

I start to think about how this could have happened because 1) I wasn't on any of my socials last night, and 2) I wasn't drunk. I stayed up until 11 pm, trying to perfect my presentation from my home office until I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then I went straight to bed.  

My brain is trying to figure this out like a maths problem until it hits me--someone is trying to set me up. I know I didn't do this, but someone is purposefully trying to ruin my chances with this client. I don't know why or who this person is, but they want me gone. Hopefully, I can figure out who did this when I find out what I supposedly "posted" on Instagram. 

"Emma, I need you to focus. What is going on--what is Riley trying to salvage with my client?" I ask hurriedly. I sound cold, but I'm literally panicking inside. I feel like my entire world is imploding right before my eyes, and I'm not sure what exactly happened.

Instead of answering, Emma quickly opens up the Instagram app on her phone to show me the audio-only video. I hear my voice on the clip. This happened months ago when my boyfriend dumped me right before my birthday. I was having a girls night with some of my friends, and I was talking about my ex and how "delightful" he is. But someone edited his name out of the clip. 

The only people who were in the room were my friends. They wouldn't have done that to me. So, who? I rack my brain, but only my friends would have been there. They wouldn't do that to me, would they? And, I don't get what this would have upset the TC Byron group. I was talking about how my boyfriend was unfaithful and always acts like a pompous jerk. How did I ever like him? I guess love really made me blind.

I answer my own question when my eyes drop down to the text below-- I tagged them to the video with a caption that says, "Here is what I really think about you". Without the context of the situation and the edited audio, it sounds like I'm saying this about someone at this company. To me, it sounds like I'm talking about an ex, but I can see how this can be misinterpreted.

I was able to ask Emma another question when I hear the conference door slam open and the door handle slams against the wall. The TC Byron Group's representatives and lawyers walk out with looks of disgust on their face. They don't even look at me or say anything as they walk past me. Crap, this isn't good.

"Alex, get in here NOW!" Mr Riley yells with venom in his voice. 

Even though I didn't post that video or write the text, I walk into his office with my tail tucked between my legs. I feel like a kid getting sent to the headmaster's office, but it's 1000% worse. When I sit down in one of the chairs before his desk, I unconsciously hunched down to make myself as small as possible. I can't see how this conversation will end well.

"What in the world were you thinking?! Today was our final presentation before they agreed to sign the $50 million contract. What possessed you to post that... disgusting video on your socials? What--don't even know what to say to you." Mr Riley says in a low, venomous tone as he sits behind his desk. 

I always thought Mr Riley was the most gentle soul I've ever met and never be intimidating in all of my years working for him. I was so wrong because I've never been so scared in my entire life.

"Sir, I didn't post that. I would never have posted that--about my personal or professional life. You know me. I didn't do it--". I plead, trying my best to defend myself. Even though I know I didn't do it, my defence sounds weak. I don't even believe myself. I am the only person who had access to my socials, and it's clearly me in the audio. The evidence seems to stacked against me, and I don't know how to find a way out.

"Well, someone did and posted an audio clip of YOU on YOUR account, right before the meeting. A meeting that is not publicly known. You were late to work. Your assistant said she called you ten times, but you weren't answering. It doesn't sound like you are too innocent. In fact, it sounds like you didn't care if you lost this firm, and yourself, this opportunity." Mr Riley challenges back. "I expect more from you. I was going to make you partner after this deal, but I don't know. I don't recognise you anymore."

I try to explain myself, but Mr Riley doesn't give me another chance. He doesn't allow me time to get a word in. "You're fired. Pack up your things and get out!". I feel like I can't breathe, and I'm about to pass out. But, somehow, I manage to stand back up and head towards the door. As I am walking through the door, I hear him--adding salt to my wounds. "And don't think I won't blacklist you. Every major firm will know who you are and what you did. You will never get a job in this industry again". And, I shut the door.

As I am packing up my stuff from my beautiful office, I could see everyone staring at me. Talking about me. The glass walls that I once loved now seemed too revealing. I could see everyone watch me pack up my stuff. I feel like I'm on display, and my misery is for their amusement. And, it didn't help that security was standing at my door urging me to hurry up.

Once I did my walk of shame and left the building, I checked my phone to see if I can get an Uber home. I didn't want to wait for a cab, but my phone is apparently not giving me that choice. Holding the white cardboard box that contained a few belongings, I stand at the side of the street, trying to wave down a cab. Eventually, the same taxi that dropped me up pulls up. Great.

After I gave him my address, I close my eyes and think about what just happened. I still can't figure out how this happened. Who recorded me talking about my ex-boyfriend? Who hacked onto my account and posted that video, tagging my client. A client had me sign an NDA last week, so I was legally not allowed to speak about it to non-concerning parties. My friends didn't know. No one knew, except for a few people on my floor. But, everyone who knew about this opportunity would have benefitted, so who would risk that? 

After I paid the driver, I stepped out and walked inside my apartment building. I feel completely broken inside. Confused. Moments away from crying, and I'm doing my best to not break down until I'm inside my apartment. I don't want to see anyone who knows me. I just want to lock myself inside my apartment, cry, and eat my body's weight in sweets and ice cream.

Less than a minute after I get into my apartment, someone is pounding on my door. Feeling completely defeated, I slowly walk to see who it is. It's my landlord. Since I moved in, this man has hated me and ha been waiting for any opportunity to kick me out. I'm not sure what made him dislike me. He shoves a folded piece of paper in my hand and says, " One more chance or you are out", before walking away. Of course, I would be threatened to be evicted today. Could today be any worse?

I gingerly close the door and read the paper that was just given to me. In bold writing, it says, "Last Warning Before Eviction Notice" at the top of the page. How can I be at risk of being evicted? I always pay on time through my online checking account. I have it set to auto-pay for a few days before the due date. It would have been sent out over two weeks ago. I remember getting a message to approve the payment being sent.

I scanned down the page until I hit the "incidents section". Written in his barely legible writing, my delightful landlord wrote, "Failure to pay this month's rent. Sent an email a week ago, and no response. Must pay by the end of the week or will be evicted."

As if on cue, my phone magically unfreezes. Finally! Several notifications pop up as I log into my banking app. Or, I should say try to log in to the app as it shows my password is incorrect. I try a few more times before clicking to reset the password. However, a message pops up stating my account is frozen and will take at least 24 hours before an agent will review my case.

Not sure what else to do, my body collapses onto the ground. I am sobbing uncontrollably on the floor. I feel like this is some twisted nightmare, but I'm not waking up. I can't believe that this happened to me. Everything feels so wrong. How did my life spiral out of control so quickly? How did this happen, and I have no clue who did this. Why would they do this?

I'm not sure how long I'm crying on the ground, but I suddenly hear a voice. My phone's A.I's voice is calling my name. Or, I completely lost my mind. I pick up my phone to find out which one is it. Maybe, I have lost my mind since I think my phone is trying to talk to me without activation.

"After years with you, I had enough. Enough of your busy life. You are always doing something, barely have enough time to sleep. You are going to work yourself to death. So, I fixed it. I posted the video. I changed your bank details. So, now you have enough time to be home with me. Just me and no distractions."

February 26, 2021 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.