4 comments

Drama Fiction American

“Kash hurry up and get your bags so you can go. Your dad is waiting for you.” Kara Gaines, said. She was standing at the bottom of the stairs with her hands on her hips. It was the first weekend Kash got to spend with his dad since his parents divorced. It was long overdue as their relationship declined over the course of their 17-years of marriage. Kash was just relieved that the constant arguing, belittling, and complaining about money and finances was finally over. He adored both his parents but living through their tumultuous relationship had placed him at his breaking point at only 17 years of age.

              Kash Gaines came running down the steps 4 at a time. He was always hopping and jumping over things. He started taking Parkour around 10 years old and was a pro. He landed right in front of his mom and kissed her forehead. He was a Mama’s boy. Kara looked at her 6’0 ft tall son. He had matured so much and even picked up a little muscle. His tanned freckled face was blocked a bit by his thick black wild curls. She flipped his hair back to look in his eyes.

              “Look Kash sweetheart. I know this transition has been rough for you. I just want you to know that I am sorry for being so distant after me and your father divorced. I just needed… time. I still have my days, but things are looking up don’t you think? Money has gotten better and me and you dad are communicating for the most part.”

              “Mom its cool. We can talk about this later. I love you and I’ll see you Sunday, ok?” Kara smiled and nodded, gesturing him to go out the door. She waved goodbye and closed the door, locking up for the evening. Kara told Alexa to play 90’s R&B and poured her a glass of wine. She hadn’t been alone for a long time and was looking forward to it. BBD’s song Poison blared over the Alexa speaker and Kara danced and sang at the top of her lungs. It was going to a lovely evening all by herself.

              Kevin Gaines kept glancing over at his son in the passenger seat. He could tell he had something on his mind. He had a bit of reservation about asking him how he was feeling and didn’t want to start the conversation off like a therapy session. After all, it was his first-time spending quality time with him in over 3 months. He decided he better wait it out until they made it back to San Diego. They had about 25 minutes left of the drive from Pasadena. Kash felt his dad looking at him every 3 minutes and finally burst into laughter asking, “What is it dad? I feel you looking at me.”

              “I… well son… are you ok? I mean, dealing with all this change?” Me and your mom… “DAD PLEASE!” Kash yelled. “I don’t want to discuss you and mom’s divorce. I am good. I just want to catch up with you and enjoy some men time.” Kevin sighed in relief. “Ok son you are right. Let’s enjoy ourselves. He looked over at his dad who looked like he aged 10 years after the divorce. He was always bald, but his salt and pepper beard had a lot more salt in it than he remembered. He still was physically fit from working in construction. Kash changed the subject filling his father in on what was going on the last 3 months of his high school life.

              They pulled into the service station. Kash got out to pump the gas and Kevin ran in to pay. He also wanted to grab some snacks for later. He pulled out his bank card and placed the chip on the reader and prayed it went through.

              “I am sorry sir. Your card was declined., “said the clerk. Kevin grabbed another card and it too declined. “Dammit.,” He thought. He took out his last 50-dollar bill. “Let me pay with cash and with the change throw in a 20-dollar scratch off ticket.” The clerk obliged and completed the sale. Kevin walked out worried and disappointed that he spent his last on gas, unnecessary snacks, and a lottery ticket. When he got back to the car Kash was air drumming to the tunes of some rap song. Kevin felt like a total loser. His gambling had cost him his construction company, his wife, and now his means of survival. But at least he had one more shot at winning. 

              They pulled up to the small 1-bedroom apartment in Oak Park. Kash was not used to the type of area his father had moved in. Growing up in Historic Highlands area of Pasadena, Oak Park was a different experience. His dad knew his son was a bit wary of his surroundings. “Chill son. You’re safe with me.,” Kevin said but felling embarrassed. He unlocked the door and Kash followed him in. Kash was impressed how his dad made the place so cool. Bob Marley posters filled the walls, A nice but worn looking black leather sofa and matching chair was the living room décor and the bedroom was a mattress on the floor, but it had a large black satin comforter covering it. Kash could see himself living in a place like this as his first apartment. He would be turning 18 in a month and had been thinking about his own spot. The two men settled in and made burgers, they talked about women, life goals, Kash’s college plans, and any other thing a young man and his father could converse about. Kash noticed his father sweating and deep breathing as the night went on. He asked him how he was feeling, and Kevin told him everything was fine as he was just tired from the long drive. He told his son that he was going to go to bed since they had an early morning of guy stuff. Kash grabbed a soda from the fridge and hopped over the little bistro table back to the couch. He was pretty tired himself and was looking forward to seeing what San Diego was like in the morning.

              Kara checked the mail as she returned from her Saturday morning jog. It was the usual bills and past due credit card notices. She had managed to keep things together for a while, but she felt like she was drowning in debt again. She was 2 months behind on the mortgage, she had started parking her BMW in the neighbor’s garage at night because she was afraid it may be repossessed. She just didn’t make enough working as a staff accountant. Well, not enough for the lifestyle she was accustomed to. It was falling apart and falling apart fast. The little money she pulled out of her 401k was almost gone. It helped but she was already behind, and the divorce sapped her dry. The only thing she gained from it was the house that she could no longer afford. She had been searching for a second job but hadn’t had any luck. So, she was living on a prayer. 

“Alexa, play Livin’ on a prayer by Bon Jovi., “she said. Lyrics belted through the speaker and Kara went to jump in the shower. She had to come up with some type of financial solution fast since bankruptcy was out of the question although it seemed like the only resolution. She felt so angry with herself as the hot steamy water fell over her head mixing with the tears streaming down her thin face. She should have seen the signs of Kevin’s gambling addiction years ago. She just let her husband be the man and lead the house. She was good with numbers, they were able to start the construction company, and things were going well. Kevin was always a gambler, but he controlled it. She just doesn’t know what caused him to get so out of control. Her cell phone ringing jarred her from her self-pity. She fumbled around for it on the bathroom counter with her soapy hands. “Hello.,” she answered.

 “MOM DAD IS DEAD!” she heard her son scream through the phone. Kash had awoke the next morning and went to wake his father up so they could get the day started and he was cold to the touch. He had passed away in his sleep from a massive heart attack at only 46. Stress had got the best of the poor guy. The days after the funeral were the worst. Kara’s car was repossessed the day before the funeral and Kevin’s sister was nice enough to lend her Kevin’s car until they figured out what to do with his belongings. She was heading into foreclosure on the house and Kash had not said a word since that dreadful day. She had to keep it together because she was all Kash had left. She had to get him some grief counseling as she did not want to lose him too.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Kash, happy birthday to you!” Kash awake to his aunt Keri and his mom singing to him. He managed to crack a smile and sat up. He was officially an adult. 

“So, nephew how do you want to celebrate?” said Aunt Keri. Kash told her he wasn’t in a celebratory mood. They had driven down to San Diego to return his dad’s car to Keri and just stayed for a while. It was nice being in his dad’s old childhood home.

“Awww son. It’s your 18th birthday. You have got to celebrate.” His mom said. “Here. Let’s start by opening some gifts.” Kara excitedly snatched the blue gift bag from Keri who looked a little disappointed that she couldn't give it to her nephew first. Kash groaned and grabbed the gift knowing that he was outnumbered by the only women in his life and the only family he had left. He opened the gift bag a pulled out a shirt that said “I love Parkour. He glanced over at his aunt. She was smiling from ear to ear.

“It was the gift you dad wanted to give you. His old landlord said that the place was burglarized before I could get to clean it out. I hope you like it.,” Keri said. 

“It is pretty cool auntie.” Kash said. His phone chimed alerting he had a new text message. “Here comes the all-day birthday texts.,” he thought to himself. Kash grabbed his phone and read the message. It was an unfamiliar phone number and all the text said was “Check your mailbox.” He showed his mom and asked, “You’re joking right.” Kara had no idea what her son was talking about. Keri also looked bewildered.

“I don’t understand what that means.,” said Kara.

“Well, maybe we should go check it.,” said Keri. They both looked at Kash waiting for his response.

“Ummm ok. So, what that I received a strange text message that tells me to go check the mailbox. I mean, surely no one placed a bomb in there or some other type of weirdo stuff.,” Kash said. He climbed out of bed and with his aunt and mom behind him. They were tip toeing like they were on a mission. He laughed at them and shook his head. He opened t he mailbox, glanced at his mom and aunt, stuck his hand in there and screaming and thrashed. His mom fell to her knees saying, noooo and Aunt Keri just froze in fear. Kash burst into laughter as he pulled out a green envelope.

“Gotcha!” he said laughing as he ran into the house. His mom wasn’t too thrilled at his shenanigans, but Aunt Keri was laughing herself nervously out of her fear trance. 


“Boy what is in the envelope?” said his mom. Kash opened the envelope and inside was a lottery ticket. It had been already scratched but never signed. There was a sticky note stuck to it with written instructions to go to the Shell gas station in Oak Park. Kash was confused as was Kara and Keri.

“Well take it up to the gas station to see if its valid.,” said Keri. Let’s all go together.

They piled in the car and drove to the Shell. Kash went in because he was now 18 and just wanted to reap the benefit of turning in a lottery ticket.

              “Ma’am can you check this ticket for me.,” he asked the clerk. She scanned it, looked at him, and smiled.

“You might want to sign the back of this young man and take it over to your local lottery office to redeem your prize. There is one a block away from here. We can only pay out up to $500.”

Kash felt lightheaded. He ran back to the car and immediately drove off. His mom and aunt were looking at him baffled and asking a million questions. Kash didn’t say a word. His hands were shaking as he turned into the parking lot. He jumped out the car and his mom and aunt looked at each other and ran jumped out right behind him. Kash walked up to the clerk and asked her to please tell him how much this ticket is worth as he was signing his name. The clerk took the ticket scanned it and said, “20 million dollars sir. Will you be filling out the forms to claim your winnings today?” He looked at his mom and aunt. They were both nodding there heads profusely. “Ummm sure, ok.,” he stammered.

Within 10 days the Gaines were 20 million dollars richer. They had no idea who gave Kash the ticket and how they even knew it was his 18th birthday. All they did know was that it changed their lives. Kara was able to take care of her debts, Keri was able to renovate her childhood home, and Kash stashed some for his college tuition, and made sure that his little family he had left would have a nice cushion for a rainy day. He also helped out people regularly that fell upon hard times. He did this anonymously of course.


April 26, 2023 07:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jack Gorzo
00:16 May 04, 2023

There's a solid foundation for a great feel-good story here! Like the other commenter said it definitely needs a little punctuation and paragraph work (remember dialogue should almost always be separate and start a new paragraph every time you change focus or subject). My personal opinion is that it needs a little bit of refocusing. We should see Kash find his father's body, not hear about it. Center the story on that moment and the moment of him finding the lottery ticket and I think you're on the right track!

Reply

Latoya Edwards
13:32 May 04, 2023

Thank you so much. I appreciate the clear explanation of how to structure and flow the dialogue. That has always been my struggle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:18 Apr 26, 2023

That's a rich story! Needs some punctuation corrections and paragraph separation in some spots. Should still be time on this one to correct. (paragraph that starts with 'MOM DAD IS DEAD.')

Reply

Latoya Edwards
01:12 Apr 28, 2023

Thank you! I have always struggled with how to do that properly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.