I'll Take Either!

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with a character asking a question.... view prompt

0 comments

General

So today is a new day and I decided I was going to do whatever made me happy for now. And right now it was running outside and letting the Sun beat down on me, most people I see on television are usually dancing in the rain. Me not me I dance in the sunlight the beauty of a sunny day is unbeatable in my eyes. I love the sunshine and the warmth it brings to my skin and mind. You know what they say, they say everyone needs vitamin d in their life. It is something I always agreed with. As I sit in my favorite chair looking out the window, sipping on my coffee taking my time. I know the day will bring lot's of sunlight. That is what they said on the news, and yes I believe them as they have been correct lately.


The past few months have been sunny, but dull as we went through a world pandemic. It is finally over and shops are starting to open their doors evn though they have new rules and limited amounts of people entering a business at one time, that is okay. It is sort of exciting living a new way of life and learning new rules. Who knows maybe some of us have found new things to do, new hobbies, new friends, new interests. Some of us may have dropped some old habits and picked up new more beneficial habits. I would say I have found some new fun things to do, I learned to make bread, write a journal daily, work out without a facility membership. I found someone to look up to and learn from. Through this all I have learned to pray for those who didn't make it through the pandemic and hope that everyone listens well and has learned a lot. Such as washing your hands is so so important. Or staying in once in a while is not such a bad thing. Being thankful to have a roof over our heads. Enough of that though, I think we have all learned a lesson during this pandemic. Most of us, even myself just want to get on with what we love to do, and today I will do just that.


I jumped up from my seat by the window and washed my coffee cup. In my mind I was thinking about what type of lunch I want to take on my hike through "Pacific Spirit Park". A sandwich and maybe some hummus would be a nice snack. I always hiked with one of my friends, we walked for three hours at a time some days.

Every time we walked it was different, we tried not to walk through the pandemic, we did once or twice it was not easy, but we did it. Today will be different there is freedom in the air and people will feel less restricted. One thing about walking through the park is everyone on the walk is usually friendly and happy. You can feel this in the air beside you as we walked side by side. Everyone was on the same mission, a peaceful place to walk and catch some free nature in for the day. Knowing we are blessed to live in a City with lot's of nature and beauty surrounding us. Sure I would love to live in the tropics somewhere, but I don't I live in this City that provides nature at it's finest. The City of Vancouver, where nature and hikes are free to us. A natural rainforest in the West side of Canada. No complaints, just beauty. As a child I would ride my bike up to "Queen Elizabeth Park", about a 15min ride from my house.and picnic with my schoolmates. We would make balogne sandwiches and park our bikes by a stream in the park and have our little picnics. Pretty exciting as a eleven year old. Ofcourse my childhood excitement has changed as an adult. As we all know biking could seem more like a chore now, but still a wonderful sport for anyone who is interested in living a fit life.


Back to today, I prepared what I would need for my hike this day and waited for my friend to pick me up and take me up to the park to start our hike. We normally took a ride off to a pizza joint and then usually some sort of dessert spot. When you hike for two hours, you end up eating the picnic on the hike and treat yourself to treats after the walk. Funny enough, we are not New Jersey, or Brooklyn, but we have a few great pizza joints here in town. Ah the enjoyment of hiking, looking forward to a slice after you are done.

As I waited for my ride, I looked outside, the clouds were covering my block and the rain started to come down. From sunshine to rain, it was all good it was a light drizzle and funny enough, I even loved the rain. Plans change on a daily here in Vancouver, usually due to our weather, but no worries, once we step outside, we get a little bit of everything. When you're born and raised in Vancouver you learn to love it all, and except it all in a day. Nothing dissapoints a "East Van Chic", that is the nickname for us, that are born and raised in Vancouver. It's kind of like spilt milk, milk spills you wipe it up, rain drops on your shoulder, you wipe it off and say "forget about it"! It's just the way we are us West Coast Canadian's, never fretting about today, because there is always tomorrow. Easy going and joyful us Vancouverites.


As I spun around to my favorite tune, playing on youtube, I heard honking. I gathered up my goods for the day and ran down to my friend. Both of us smiling and looking forward to another day out on the town. We don't change it up much, but it is enjoyed everytime. As I loaded up my things in the back of the truck. I looked up and the clouds were starting to clear up, and that great old sun was peaking through just a little. I smiled, positive it would appear at it's best on our little city hike.

I jumped in the truck and wiped the rain off my shoulder. My friend smiled at me and said, "Where we going for dessert?"


The End

May 21, 2020 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.