1 comment

General

There is nothing better than to look at the peaceful stars shining above us in that vast and infinite sky,

However, that night was not starry.

On the contrary, it was full of activities : 

- I still have to do the dishes, dear – I said to my husband, unsetting the table.

- Where are the kids? – he asked me, getting the pillows from the sofa for the rocking chairs of the front yard.

- the kids must be playing in their room, upstairs .

- Let’s call them to come.

- Ok.

But the kids were  playing.

And not even God could possibly take them out of the game.

- Another television night ? – he asked me, putting the pillows back to the couch.

- That’s fine for me. I am madly tired, I went to the market today, did some shopping, drove in such a traffic jam that it drove me crazy .

I need some rest – so I went to bed, and immediately felt asleep. 

So, I sincerely do not remember if it came by that night, because I honestly have not paid attention.

But, in the morning, as soon as I woke up, I opened the curtains of the living room, and  a huge, fluffy and friendly dog  sunbathing in the front yard , outside my house filled my eyes .

- So big and so gorgeous! – looking at its brownish fur and big hanging ears, as I liked. 

- maybe it is lost, or,maybe, it is waiting for somebody, or something . I am not really sure – I concluded, taking a look at the watch.

It is eight thirty already, time for scrubbing the rug as it has to be done, once a week.

After ten minutes of hard work, I took a break, so I could dry my sweat face.

As I normally did after this, I looked at the window, opened.

The dog, was still there.

So, I got curious about it : what the hell is it doing out there ?

First, I thought of finishing my duty.

- But, maybe, I can give it some water. Oh! Yes! I have some leftovers in the fridge, so I will give it to the dog , as, it must be only a sunbathing dog, or a sleepy one – I convinced myself .

Firmly and self confident, I just poured some water in a little plastic bowl, and took the food to give to the dog.

Ready for the Samaritan job, I left the house going straight to the dog.

When I got closer to it, I realized that its eyes were closed, so, obviously, I thought it was sleeping.

- I am going to leave the food and the water near it, so when it wakes up, will certainly eat and drink.

That is what I did.

But at the exact moment I was bending my body to put the 2ater and the food near the dog, I realized the reason why its eyes were closed : it was madly injured, blood stained in all over its chest.

I got scared, at first, as I could not see it breathing.

And if it is dead? 

What can I do?

What should I do?

That unexpected and afflicted moment, made me think about many things : the carpet , getting the kids ready for the school time , the lunch to get ready for my husband, the phone call to my doctor to make an appointment..

I was nervous, as I had no idea on what to do in that circumstance.

Without taking my eyes off it, I decided : well I will leave it beside the dog, as I have many things to do – firmly, decided, with all my strength.

But, exactly in that moment, the dog opened its eyes.

Big, brownish and hypnotizing eyes.

 That stared at me, while kneeling at it.

I froze.

Got stuck in the same place and in the same position.

My heart was racing, and my breath was short.

My thinking was out of control, thinking about some unpredictable circumstance, something that could damage or hurt myself somehow.

Or, what if it tries to bite me ? Or what is even worse, what if it is sick with some dog rage and I die?

I have kids, a husband and a family to look after, so, I better look after myself – I thought on them, instead of thinking on me.

Why? 

Was it more important to live for somebody else, alternatively to myself ? 

Was it really important ? – that gaze made think about my own life, my own choices, like getting married instead of living like I wanted at the time I was younger, when I used to dream with the stars and a bright future full of adventures.

So, I was worried about the things that I had to do , and not with the things I wanted to do.

What is it ? 

Am I becoming a routinely mother and wife, neurotic with time and all the accomplishments that are taking my time and my life ? – I asked to myself in just one glimpse, like the air that I was trying to get before sunbathing myself.

But the dog was there, agonizing maybe, according to my point of view.

- I should call the dog cart, so they will take care of this poor thing- standing up and ready to go back home.

However – and I will never forget this happening- the dog barked.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

Taking me by surprise it stood up.

Caressed  my leg.

And licked my leg

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

I fell down to earth.

It was asking me for permission to be loved.

So, I looked at it again, pitifully, mercifully, because it made me understand that I was a needed key to give life to others, as a mother a wife and a pet.

So, instantly, I took it into my arms, hugging it as if I was hugging.myself.

And took it home.

Made a little bed for it, over the rug, in a corner of the livingroom 

Made some sandwiches for lunch.

And asked the kids to give it a long shower , so the bloodstains would certainly disappear, as they were not deep nor big. 

The kids were so happy , and me too, that that afternoon they did not want to go to school, taking care of the dog, talking to it, choosing a name

- Pluto ! 

- No! Bobby!

- No ! - and so on.

That was really a nice day, that even my husband wanted to welcome the new family member, playing with it, running around the house.

, together with the kids.

The dog, named simply as Doggy, accepted us as if we were its family, or its owner.

We were a happy family now.

The domestic work has doubled.

So my tiredness.

But, that night  me, my husband, the kids and Dog went to the front yard , sitting on the rocking chairs , and , more importantly, looking at the stars that were the biggest and brightest of all stars in the universe, blessing our home with their peace and love.

And our lives, a whole.

.

July 18, 2020 23:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Selene Sweck
01:12 Jul 27, 2020

It was a sweet uplifting story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.