The Northern Lights

Submitted into Contest #232 in response to: Set your story during polar night.... view prompt

25 comments

Romance Coming of Age Contemporary

Cecilia sits at a desk most days, surrounded by a forest of reference books. We ran out of shelf space for her library some time ago, but instead of extending her domain, allowed the books to become the room. Low piles of them function as tables, vertiginous stacks decorate the walls and a couple of her horticultural catalogues double-up as door stops and window props, but only in the summer. During the endless winter months, when it’s minus twenty outside, we lock all our windows, turn up the heating and convert our home into an arboreal retreat.

*  *  *

We might have been adjusting to life in London if it wasn’t for Cecilia’s Svalbard seed vault job. She had a great job offer from Kew Botanic Gardens; a handsome salary, flexible working hours and private health benefits. 

   “What do you, reckon?” she said, frowning after the interview.

   “Kew’s perfect, love,” I said, excited for her. “Go for it.”

   “What about Tiger?” 

   “We can get a litter tray.”

We discussed it and she dithered. 

   “He’s a country cat, you know?”

   “I love Tiger too, but come on, honestly?”

   “I’m worried he won’t cope with all the traffic.”

It’s funny how life works out, isn’t it? She’d searched for an ideal job and then two materialised. They employed the other candidate for Kew, but the Svalbard job sounded promising. However, I wish we’d read the small print. 

   Before I knew it, we were on our way to a treeless island where domestic cats aren’t welcome; something to do with endangered bird-life. Apparently, the authorities banned them years ago, and we had to leave Tiger in quarantine. 

   In retrospect, I’m sure our sorrowful moggy would’ve relished life as a pampered house cat in London. I often imagine him feasting on select morsels and scratching the bark from all those exotic trees in the Kew Botanic Gardens.

*  *  *

So, we ended up moving to Longyearbyen; the world’s northernmost settlement. It’s a featureless township whose transient population of 1000 is outnumbered by polar bears, 3 to 1. The Statsbygg agent who interviewed Cecilia in Oslo said the position was a rare opportunity. 

   “The Svalbard seed vault has an international reputation,” he said. “You’ll be considered an expert in your field for years to come.”

He listed all the benefits of living here, including a company car, a furnished property with proximity to the Svalbard seed vault, and a generous salary paid in Norwegian Kroner. 

   “What more could you ask for?” he said, purring like a blue Persian feline.

Of course, he neglected to mention there are only 40 miles of navigable roads on Svalbard and no connections between different settlements. 

But I’m being picky. Now we fetch our groceries from Barentsburg on a snowmobile. That’s great fun on the weekend, right?

   Cecilia was well aware of the short winter days, but the agent dodged the details yet again and waxed lyrical about the northern lights. His description of the shimmering green veil that dances over the sky was most beguiling. He told her the aurora reflects off the snow and ice and we’d soon forget about the endless nights. 

   “Tourists pay a fortune to watch that light show.”

   “Well, I suppose that’s true and---”

   “And you’ll witness it from your new home.”

He bamboozled Cecilia with his talk about the myths and sagas surrounding the months of darkness and how the Sami Nomads thought the northern lights were the dance of the dead. “Until recent times,” he whispered. “They told their children to come inside out of fear the aurora’d take them.”

   “That’s just superstition, right?”

   “I guess that’s not a problem for you,” he said, sliding the contract toward her. 

   “I’ll have to ask my husband and---”

   “Honest,” he smiled, offering his pen. “You’re going to love it.”

   As a childless couple, we took it for granted there’d be a way to establish a family. We assumed there’d be childcare facilities and a junior school for youngsters. The agent never mentioned the subject of family life at the interview and after six months in Svalbard, we realised our mistake.

*  *  *

We arrived at the end of May last year and ventured out into the community, chatted to our immediate neighbours and discovered all the delights that Longyearbyen offered. There are a few professional couples here, but most of the residents are coal miners. They’re pleasant enough, however, they all work long hours and enjoy chaotic social lives. 

   We met no one who was born in Svalbard or owns their own house. There’s no option to buy a property here because the government owns all the buildings. Unemployment is unheard of in Longyearbyen, but that’s because nobody can live here without a demonstratable income. People come here to work hard, make money and leave. Workers and mining employees arrive and depart like migrating wildfowl. The population drifts in and slips away unseen like waves lapping on a beach at midnight.

*  *  *

Time stops still in Longyearbyen between November and February; endless summer days transform into an interminable night. The polar sun remains below the distant horizon line for the entire winter. If it wasn’t for a couple of twilight hours at midday, you’d think it had died; extinguished forever, having forsaken life on earth and condemned it to eternal night.

   Of course, the northern lights are visible and illuminate the landscape, reflecting off the snow and ice. The eerie glow more than compensates for the lack of daylight. In fact, basking in the flickering aurora was our favourite way to drift off at night. It was the highlight of our time in Longyearbyen in many respects. We felt part of something much greater than we could comprehend; a connection to the infinite.

   I recall Cecilia whispering in my ear one night as my eyelids closed. She asked me about the aurora myth and the Sami children stolen in the middle of the night. 

   I remember chuckling and mumbled, “It’s nonsense, love.” 

   She didn’t respond, and I forgot all about it. 

*  *  *

Late in December, Cecilia wasn’t sure when, the little kicks in her stomach stopped. She got up at two o'clock to walk around in the turquoise half-light of the apartment, having heard a dripping sound. It turned out to be the icicles melting outside the window. It might have been the next morning, when the green veil reappeared and came out burning hard. She said it may have been the day after that or even the day before. But Cecilia knew she couldn’t feel the gentle movements that had accompanied her every waking moment.

She knew for certain that something was missing. 

A fist had tightened inside her stomach. 

   “Lay your hand on me,” she said, guiding my wrist.

   “What’s up, love?” I asked, half awake.

   “Sssh,” she whispered, turning to face me. “Be gentle.”

   “There’s nothing there.” I said, stroking her belly.

   “Please don’t say that.”

   “I’m so sorry.”

*  *  *

Not much grows here; no plants, no kids and no families. Our local hospital doesn’t have a delivery ward because no one gives birth here; it’s not legal to be born in Svalbard. Expectant mothers are required to register their pregnancy and relocate to the mainland for their third trimester.

   Sure, there’s a medical centre here, but for anything serious, we need to travel to the mainland for treatment. We’d been trying for a family for a year now and never considered the possibility we couldn’t have children. It was there in the small print. We completed everything in a rush. You know how it is, right? 

*  *  *

They didn’t tell us about the awful smell of polar bear faeces. It looks like a cross between a crusted cow-pat and an acrid fox stool and boy, it honks. The first time I stepped in it and brought it into our home was horrific. Cecilia had a heightened sense of smell and it caught the back of her throat. She dashed to the downstairs bathroom, with her eyes-watering, clutching her stomach and hurled up her lunch. She wouldn’t come out until I’d incinerated the doormat, disinfected both boots and the entire hallway. We laughed about it later, but at the time I had to hold a cloth over my mouth. I admit I almost wretched too. 

   Afterwards, our neighbours said, “You only do it once.” And they were right.

*  *  *

Cecilia didn’t hear me when I returned from the grocery mission. I could see her ensconced in her arboretum. She was shredding a letter into a thousand fragments until it resembled a ragged jumble of Lilliputian Scrabble tiles. 

   I kicked off my frost-laden footwear as she scooped up the white scraps in her hand. Cecilia was unaware of my presence as she let the debris tumble like snowflakes into her empty teacup. She repeated this as I approached her in my stocking feet, filling it to the brim with fractured words and broken phrases. 

   In a silent trance, she struck a match and lit the scraps; mesmerised by the lapping orange flame as it flared, flickered, and faded. She was still peering at the wisp of black smoke, spiralling up from the sooty remains as I whispered in her ear.

   “Hey, what’s burning?”

   “Oh, you know,” she sighed. “It’s not your problem.”

   “That’s a relief,” I said, shedding my down jacket. “I thought it was dinner.”

   “Don’t you think about anything else but your stomach?”

   “Hey,” I said, resting my hand on her shoulder. “We’re done here.”

   “I know, I know.” She sighed. 

   “Let’s rescue Tiger.”


The End








January 11, 2024 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

20:20 Feb 13, 2024

Wonderful story. Great use of metaphors sprinkled through. Not overdone. Lilliputian Scrabble tiles! Loved the 'green veil' of the Northern lights. The visual impact of this story is amazing.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:23 Feb 14, 2024

Hello Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your comments. The subject matter called out for a vivid portrait and offered an opportunity to describe and contrast the different worlds. I had a lot of fun writing this one so I’m pleased you enjoyed it and appreciate your feedback. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
18:51 Jan 23, 2024

I love the writing. Thought the ending could stand improvement--somehow. Firmly believe that 'Tiger' had some spiritual part in this calamity. (Even though he/she is barely mentioned. This is the kind of thing that happens to people who... don't sufficiently worship their cats. Just kidding about that. Wonderful, wonderful writing.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:41 Jan 23, 2024

Hello Ken, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and would welcome any further thoughts about the ending; maybe a subtle way to weave ‘Tiger’ into the story at another point? I’d appreciate any ideas. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diana Jo Filip
02:35 Feb 28, 2024

I loved the ending, precisely because of the ambiguity. Indeed, Tiger would fill out the blanks, if mixed into ... some flames?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sherri Moorer
15:26 Jan 18, 2024

At least there's hope, and they got out! Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing it!

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:43 Jan 18, 2024

Hey Sherri, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and positive feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gayle Dick
08:42 Jan 16, 2024

Enjoyed this story very much. Fascinating to learn about the rules of living in Svalbard too.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:17 Jan 16, 2024

Hello Gayle, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and positive feedback. I wouldn’t recommend Svalbard to anyone of sound mind, despite its obvious attractions. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:39 Jan 14, 2024

Wow Howard this is great. Sad obviously but also hopeful at the end. As they were able to leave. Lots of research went into this I cam tell. I learned a lot! Thanks for sharing

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:49 Jan 14, 2024

Hey Derrick, Thanks for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased the piece struck a chord and resonated for you because I had a lot of fun putting it together, despite the dark tone. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
03:08 Jan 14, 2024

Beautifully written ! I love your use of imagery. Also, city girl me would probably never consider moving to Middle of Nowhere, Norway and would most certainly choose Kew. Hahaha ! Just a little comment, though : The spelling of Cecilia/Cecelia's name is a bit inconsistent in the text. The first time it's mentioned, it has two Es. The second, it's two Is.

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:07 Jan 14, 2024

Hello Stella, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts; it’s great to get positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and agree with your sentiment about Svalbard. I’m aware I haven’t painted a flattering picture of the place, however it doesn’t have too many endearing qualities this time of the year unless you enjoy its natural attributes, which are clearly an acquired taste and require a somewhat robust constitution to appreciate. BTW - thank you for pointing out my spelling inconsistencies; that was pretty gormles...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:26 Jan 13, 2024

A few years ago my husband and I were two of MANY "tourists [who] pay a fortune to watch the light show." - Similar to Cecelia I couldn't leave fast enough. What is it about places like that? Wonderful ! -CC

Reply

Howard Halsall
10:04 Jan 13, 2024

Hello Clara, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your experience. I hope the northern lights put on a good show when you made the trip. I’ve encountered disappointed tourists who’d travelled to the polar regions to view the aurora and returned disappointed because of inclement or unfavourable conditions. The whole concept sounds prone to mishaps. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
16:42 Jan 12, 2024

I think the only thing that would make this situation worse is if they couldn't leave, like in The Shining.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:04 Jan 12, 2024

Hmmm… no that’s an idea :) Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:27 Jan 12, 2024

Chilly story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:51 Jan 12, 2024

A dark and cold matter….

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:03 Jan 12, 2024

Thanks for liking my 'Too-cute Match-Up '

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:02 Jan 11, 2024

Great story. The short paragraphs, short sentences keep the tension. The miscarriage a great (okay, sad/devastating) analogy to the barren land. A winner.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:50 Jan 12, 2024

Hello Trudy, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope it wasn’t too depressing…. A dark subject matter for a polar night prompt. Take care HH

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:57 Jan 12, 2024

You're right, they asked for dark, and you gave it to them, but "tiger" brought us back to humanity Thanks for reading one of mine. tj

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:51 Jan 11, 2024

Oh - I wasn't expecting that -is there a category for sad? I think this would fit in that category too. This is beautifully put together, from the what-might-have-been to the what-actually-was. I love how the cat comes in to tie it all in to itself. The only suggestions I have are picky: Kew Botanic (not botanical) Gardens (not garden). The tense isn't consistent in the last bit of dialogue - I think it needs to be past tense all the way through: “Hey, what’s burning?” “Oh, you know,” she [sighed]. “It’s not your problem.” ...

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:58 Jan 12, 2024

Hello Katharine, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive thoughts. I appreciate your helpful comments and mistake spotting; poor errors on my part, however I’m pleased to be able to cover my tracks. I hope my daft oversights didn’t spoil the experience…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.