1 comment

General



I unlock the front door at 3:30 am and walk out because maybe he’s outside: He always was a runaway. I have the bag of treats, the Polaroid, some cash, and I have to find him. His name is Today. We took his name fromm Todo in the Wizard of Oz. I start screaming out, “Today! Where are you? Come here, Today! It’s your master, Michelle.” I sometimes hear jingles from his collar when the tag that says he’s gotten his rabies vaccine and the tag with my name and telephone number jingle against each other. I still don’t understand how Today got out, all the doors were closed.

But there are certain temptations, Today likess meat. So, I walk to the local meat market which is just five blocks away and doesn’t open until 10:00 am. I look around the front door and there’s just sidewalks and street lamps.  I go to the back of the store, look at the dumpster, even open up the dumpster in case Today decided he wanted the meat in there, but he isn’t there. So, I go to the other two meat markets too and Today is no where to be found.

So, I have to go to plan B. Rule one is always have a plan B. So, I go to a twenty-four hour convenience store and buy some line paper, open up the paper and write, “Missing. Last seen at 321 Lehigh Ave. Answers to Today. Call 412 363 3456 REWARD”.  Then, I place the photo of Today on the front of the paper without tape or glue and make 20 copies with the money I brought with me. Then, I realize I’ll need something to put the signs on the pole with and buy scotch tape. I go back to the block where I live. I have a lot of trouble finding my own house, but I do get there and I look at my watch and it’s 5:00 am. So, I go to every pole that holds the electrical wires and tape the sign of Today on. I find a few kiosks where I tape Today’s pictures and put the original photo back in my front right pocket. I then ruffle the treat bag and keep looking for Today. I call out again: “Today. Mommy loves you, Today, and if you come back right now, you’ll get a bac’n bit.”  I ruffle the treat bag again and listen. I don’t hear any jingle. He’s neutered so he’s not looking to mate. I don’t think.  

I think about what else I can do to get Today back. Then it dawns on me. How stupid. I could go to the police station and get the address of the local pound. Animal Control probably found him wandering around the streets or somebody called animal control and he’s at the pound waiting for me to pick him up. So, I start walking to the local police station. It isn’t exactly where I remember it, but I do find it. So, I enter the police station, which looks like most police stations: white tile floors, a desk with plexiglass in front: typical police station.  

So, there’s a lady at the front desk with dyed blond hair and in a freshly pressed police uniform. She’s Caucasian. She smiles and asks how she can help me.

“My dog, Today, escaped my house and I wanted to know if animal control found him and if I could get him back. I put these signs up everywhere but it’s early in the morning. Has animal control found Today please?”

Then, instead of answering me, she does something weird. She says, “I’ll call animal control in a bit, but first, I like your bracelet. Can I please see your bracelet?”

I didn’t own many bracelets and didn’t remember putting one on this morning before looking for Today, but the policewoman was right. I had on a gold-colored bracelet on my left wrist with words on it. I never knew I owned a bracelet with words on it.

The policewoman then was a bit rude and asked me, “What’s your name?”

“Rebecca, but . . .” I said.

“And how old are you, Rebecca?”

“I’m twenty-five, but . . .”

“And where is the house where you and. . . “ she looks at my paper, “Today live?”

“It says right there, 321 Lehigh Avenue,” I say and point at the paper.

She then calls another police officer and says she’s needs help with a Silver Alert. I didn’t know that’s what they called it when someone’s dog escaped, but okay. She then asks to see my bracelet again and writes something down on a white legal pad.

The man cop seems friendlier than the woman cop which is strange. Usually men are more aggressive.  But he smiles, asks what I do for a living. I tell him, “I’m a seamstress, but why does that matter? Did your friend call animal control yet?”

“I’m sure she’s on it right now.”

Then, after fifteen minutes of the policeman talking to me about everything but where Today is, the weirdest thing happens. A big black woman in blue nurse’s scrubs comes in who I’ve never seen before and she talks to me like I’m her best friend:

“Hey, Michelle. You remember me?”

I take a breath, think about it, and honestly say, “No”.

She keeps smiling and says, “My name is Katherine and I’m your live-in nurse.”

This doesn’t make sense. I need to find Today.

“Live-in? You live with me?”

She nods and says, “Yep. That’s right and I help you bathe, brush your teeth, and try to make sure you don’t hurt yourself or escape.”

I feel pissed and ask, “Did YOU let Today escape this morning?!” this morning

“Today is just starting,” she says.

I roll my eyes and say, “No, Today, my dog.”

She sighs and slowly asks, “Do you want the truth or the answer that’ll make you feel good?”

I say, “The truth. Where did you put, Today? Where’s Today?”

She shakes her head, smiles, and says, “Today died twenty-three years ago and you’re eighty-six years old. That’s the truth.”

“No, you’re lying. I’m only twenty-five” I say.

She then takes me to the lady’s room and I look in the mirror and see a wrinkled old white lady with thinning short white hair.

“That’s me?” I ask.

“Yep,” she says, “and Today is dead so let’s just go back home”.

“Okay,” I say. As we walk back home, the sun starts to come up, and I see all the signs I put up looking for TodayT, but Katherine doesn’t notice them. Maybe Katherine is right and Today has been dead for twenty-three years, but maybe somebody’ll give me a call and Today’ll come back home to Mommy.  and I’ll get Today back Maybe.



November 03, 2019 22:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Vince Calma
14:24 Nov 15, 2019

Ooohhh, I see what you did there. Nice story though. I would say that I was really expecting what you'd do with the "twist," since you'd have to be tactful because the readers already know an element of it, and I'm glad you pulled it off.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.