0 comments

General

Looking up to the stars on each day had become a daily routine since the death of my mother. This was day 31 and it still didn't feel like anything was getting better. I have been referred to some phycologist by family and friends, but my life isn't a story I want to share on a plate to anyone.

 Every time on the hills, in the forest is one of the only time I feel serenity. The sound of the birds chiming, the wind howling, the gush of the torrent of the water, were all mother Earth way of talking to me. I call her momma, she's more like my second home, were I find comfort, The hill.

   The stars shone with so much intensity, as to that of shining angels. It is the most magnificent place of all time, especially during midnight. The rays being blocked by the shrubs, with a smattering amount left to touch Earth makes it look like a love garden. The feel is like the smooches of a mother on her child, a feeling I won't exchange for any.

   This night was a particularly different one, I could feel my mother so strong, like the stars were relaying her messages to me - oh! I wish I could hear them. Right beside me she laid, with her hands so soft, her forever smile, and the glowing eyes. She brisked my cheeks with her palms, making me close my eyes.

   Was I dead too? has she finally come to take me from this lonely world?

   My mother often told me stories about the stars, their colors, shapes, how to depict their voices, but there was one she seldomly told me about, the one of the falling star.

   Opening my eyes I saw the big white ball shooting from above. I made a wish - oh! I hope it comes through -. The falling star increased in size as it got closer, the light changed from the white bright light to a reddish-yellow burning light. More like a meteor shower.

   I could feel the force so hard on my body. My high school teacher made mention of the free fall of object towards the center of gravity on Earth, during a summer class. He was one of the teacher in our neighborhood, my parents knew him, they occasionally greeted. but never where we so close. The laws Prof mark taught me seems to broken by this, for it was far faster.

   Trees, shrubs and the bushes all gave way, the earth was cracked open, with holes running up to 50 miles all round. The animals that couldn't get out in time were burnt alive, the trees had been leveled, the shrubs looked like dried woods, with some on fire.

..............................................................


   He walked stilly to the flat-ship like structure, which seemed to be what crashed. This isn't a plane he thought to himself, or could it be a rocket, this time spoke under his breath. There seemed to be no door, or a entrance in the crucible. It was plane flat with a width of about 10m. He was about going to the other side when his wrist watch flash came up. It was time for school preparation.


    He hurried up the path back home. Using his window, he crawled back inside. Ever since the beginning of his night expenditure, no one had found out about it, except the maid they had been staying with them. She was between her 20s, but already with rough skins due to the hardship she was put through. During one of her daily night check-up found out that he hadn't been in the house, being that he went to bed at about an hour ago. She stayed up that night waiting on him, trying not to keep worry. When she thought it was about time to notify his family, she saw him sheepishly moving his way back in. 


   It wasn't a good day for him, but he made her promise not to tell. 'A little trade would do the trick' he had said.


   After his preparation he hurried off to school. He ran almost all through in other to keep up.

..............................................................

   'Ouch' Marian a school girl half shouted. The books on her hand had dropped due to the collision she had.

   'my apologies, I wasn't lookin....' he trailed off when he had seen the beauty that was before him, 

   'Hey! Am not a ghost, and can i... get my papers back!'

   It was then that he realized he had been holding her books that had fallen earlier, while sheepishly smiling at her

   'oh! Am sorry, I didn't mean to keep custody of your books. here take.' 

   'Don't worry I get that a lot, thanks! But do keep your eyes in front next time, that's the reason they are not at your back.' she ragained back the books and went off.

   He stood there staring at her till she faded into the crowd.

   'Girls troubles!' jack motioned to his side.

   'Don't tell me.'

   It's not been really long, just at about the whole scene.' jack responded

  'The whole scene!, So from beginning till the end?' Sam walked off agitatedly. He came back after few meters. 'i think we should we going, or have they demoted you to a lower class.'

   'Ha ha ha, not funny. But no, I have some errand to run for my mum, she wants me to meet miss Evans and collect the Balance for the stock she bought the other time.'

   Jack has been Nate's friend since childhood, during kindergarten, they grew up together. when Nate's parent were alive, he'd call them mum and dad, he almost grew up in their house, they shared everything. They live a stone throw away from each other. To the last bit of whatever happens to one, the other hears about it.

   'Yeah... About that there is something I wanted to tell, or more-alike show you, but...'

   The hall bells rang with so much intensity cutting every conversation shut, while telling both students and teachers, it was class time.

   'Just run off, we will see later, after class maybe. I really got to go meet her before they start closing the doors.' jack words echoed in the air as he ran off.

   It was already time for the closing of school for the day and Nate still hasn't gotten to talk with jack. Students where seen walking down the hall, some in pairs, some alone, very few where with their phone's, although it was a phone free school, phones where still Barnes. A new principal was commissioned last semester. He insisted on the no phone rule, he believes it's a distraction created by the scientist.

   Nate ran off down the hall to reach for the door, but was stopped by a voice.

   'You think it's so easy to escape me?' 'Buggy the school bully' as they call him said. He is one of the famous, and reputable personnel. Three other persons stood behind him.

  Nate stood, still facing the door 'Escape? Thats a harsh word to use, why would i do such'

   'Avoiding or ignoring me won't save'

   'I guess I have just been too busy, you know!' Nate signed

   'So you think you can wimp out from this,' he said staking steps towards him. 'huh! Well....' but was shut abruptly.

   'Hey there you are, I've been searching all over for you. Miss Evans requires of you the V equipments that was handed over to your custody.' Jake intruded.

   'And I am here. but I forgive Jake. Anyway Tell her he is coming we have a talk.' Buggy said, obviously hiding his anger for the intruding Jake.

   'Two minute wat what she told me to tell you as of 3 minutes ago' Jake bluntly mention, ignoring the presence of buggy.

   He winked at buggy 'Like I said, Always occupied'. Buggy couldn't hide his anger anymore, he bonk his hand into one of the lockers. This was after Jake and Nate a

Had left.

   'Thanks man' he appreciated

   'For what? Saving your ass like the millionth time! Jake what's going on? We've been friends for as far as I knew Letter A, but this. It's different.' 

   'Don't worry yourself man, I will sought things out.' he said, rather slowly.

   'You really have to, it's for yourself'

   'Yeah! I know. So we going?'

   'Would give anything to go right now, but can't. Miss Evans wants me to assist her in somethings.'

   'what about the stuff I have to show you, I can promise you would be awed.' with a tone of astonishment in his voice.

   'Ok. I'll come around by evening' after said, he hurried off.


........................................

   He entered into a pub in other to clarify things up, he was frustrated, an wouldn't want to reach home that way. He was accustomed to the pub, it was the same place he had 6 of his birthdays celebrated, starting from when he was 5. 

   He remembered clearly how he had disturbed his father that year for a celebration. Mr and Mrs Marn were never a fan of birthdays, they had celebrations but not just birthdays. It's just the more elaborate meals and special drink during diner. Nate wanted something different this year, at five he was already tired of the accustomed celebration each year. Every year he would see his mates sharing stories about their expenditures during their birthday, the gifts they got and the places they visited. but he had nothing to share during his. On a sunny Saturday, two days before his birthday, his mum walked into his room smiling, holding a list of places. 

   'We would visit the park on Monday, you can call your friends to come around, it would be a lovely party.' she told him, smiling expectantly.

   'I would love it mum, but what about "Matings Diner"? I pass it every day on my way to school, and I would love to visit it one day.' 

   That day marked a difference in their lives. His parent fell in love with the parties.

  Danny could be seen talking to Mandy behind the counter while looking at his direction - Danny was the owner -. After what seemed like a little while, Mandy poured out juice into a cup, and carried it. Then walked over towards where Nate was sitting.

  Immediately Nate sensed her presence towards himself, he took to his leave. 'Why does everyone behave like it's ok. It's not, and I don't want anymore pep talks' He angrily shouted aloud.

 

..................................


  He couldn't wait for jack till night fall, so he wondered off into the hills, shifting each leaf as he passed. He got to where the ship had landed, it seemed to look different. It was clearer now than during under the moon light. He gazed around so as to have a full, it took quite sometime due to its enormous size.

 On full view he noticed that the ship was now in wreck, like something tore it open. As he stood there perplexed he heard a rattling sound behind him. He turned but was not fast enough to see what passed him. Soon enough a shadow came into view of him, so he turned to see what casted the shadow.

 He stood in aghast, unable to move, with his mouth agape. 

 In view of Him was a sky-blue colored animal, with stripes black in color around his body in the design of stars. It was enormous in size, with fangs and claws around his mouth and hands respectively. It was a creature never seen before. There were rumours of it's existence, but non has ever seen it to tell the story. It rushed towards him salivating.......... They call her Drango. Found in 1980s, went extinct, in 1990s


.......................................

 

 Now you know my story, it was one I was proud off, but one I had to tell. I now know the true meaning, hate is nothing to be spread or held unto. This animal thought me, she changed me. Now I know love.

 

May 15, 2020 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.