Contest #8 winner 🏆

Astro Naught

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in space. ... view prompt

28 comments

Science Fiction

“It’s okay, Ground Control. I know you did everything you could.”

Charles sat at his desk, staring at the blank screen. Nobody said a word. There was a slight hissing of static. He swallowed hard, and there was an audible click in his throat. His mouth was dry. His heart was thudding intensely in his chest. Charles felt as if someone had fastened a belt around his torso and was gradually pulling it tighter and tighter.

After what seemed like an eternity, Stan broke the silence.

“Come in, Pete.”

The static hissed.

“Pete. Come in.”

Hhhhhhhh.

“Come in, Pete.” Charles was dimly aware that Stan was crying as he spoke. He could feel the hot tears trickling down his own cheeks. It felt as if his heart was lodged at the base of his throat. He could hardly breathe.

“Pete, come in.”

Hhhhhhhh.

“Pete, please come in.”

Finally, Greg got up from his seat and laid a hand on Stan’s shoulder. “That’s enough, Stan. He’s gone.”

The last two syllables hit Charles like a two-tonne truck. He felt the room spin around him, as if he’d just been clocked in the jaw by a solid right hook. Charles placed his sweaty hands on the polished dark wood of the desk, palms down, just to make sure he didn’t lose his balance and go sliding off his chair onto the floor. The table beneath his fingers felt cold and indifferent; the feeling simultaneously grounded him in the reality of the moment and made him feel as if he were dreaming or in a drunken stupor. This desk is really hard, he thought, madly. That’s enough, Stan. The wood is very cold. He’s gone. Is wood always this cold? That’s enough, Stan. It’s very cold.

Somewhere behind him, a woman was sobbing. Hell, they were all sobbing. Gabrielle was just the most audible.

The words bounced around his skull: He’s gone. He’s gone. He’s gone.

All at once, Charles felt incredibly hot. He thought he might throw up, right then and there. He wouldn’t be able to make it to the bathroom in time; he’d have to spew his guts into the wastepaper basket next to his feet.

Like a man in a dream, Charles slid off his office chair with a thud, landing on his knees, not feeling a thing. The chair rolled away behind him, squeaking a little on the wheels he had been meaning to oil but had somehow never gotten around to. Sweating and shaking, he reached for the metal bin. Thank God he’d remembered to put a plastic bag inside, because the bin was made from a metal mesh. If I hadn’t remembered, my puke would have been filtered out the bottom quite nicely. Just like using a colander, Charles thought. Then he began to retch, in great, stomach-wrenching convulsions.

Somewhere nearby, someone was asking if he was all right, but he wasn’t all right, he wasn’t, nothing was all right, nothing, and the room was spinning, spinning, spinning, and Charles could feel the acidic vomit racing up his throat, and the world was twisting around him, and everything felt too heavy, and the room wouldn’t stop spinning and—

***

Pete allowed himself to drift. There was no use fighting it, as there was nothing he could do. It would be a waste of energy. And energy was all he had left. Well, that, and the precious oxygen in his tank.

In his ears, all he could hear was whistling white noise. For half a second, he thought that he heard someone say, Come in, Pete. And maybe they did, but the words were fuzzy and soft; hard to isolate from the hiss. He started to respond, and then gave up. The last few seconds of communication had been hazy with interference as it was — now that he had floated further away, he knew contact with Ground Control would be impossible. Besides, he had said his goodbyes. Pete didn’t want to prolong the pain of a tortured farewell.

Pete spun away from the asteroid, spiraling out, further and further. He knew that he had approximately between six and eight hours of oxygen in his tank, depending on how well he controlled his breathing and how much physical exertion he subjected himself to. He had been on the surface of the celestial body for one hour and forty-three minutes, before the small meteoroid struck.

First man on an asteroid, he thought as flew away from the point of impact, pieces of debris scattering around him. Was it worth it? he asked himself. He knew immediately he shouldn’t have posed the question.

It was miraculous that none of the wreckage and rubble had injured him. Miraculous, if you ignored the fact that he had been jettisoned off the tiny planetoid and propelled far away from any hopes of rescue. Pete didn’t know how fast he was traveling, but he knew that it was too fast — and he was too small of an object — for any chances of being saved. He only hoped that his crew was safe from the fallout of the collision; would they be able to avoid the incoming hailstorm? And if not, would the fragments of rock penetrate their shuttle? Pete knew that he’d never know.

Pete spun and spun and spun, rotating not quite fast enough to cause him to blackout. He watched the changing views as he twisted through the void: stars, the sun, planets, debris, stars, the sun, planets, debris, stars, the sun, planets, debris. Over and over and over. Spinning. Spinning. Spinning. Each time he caught the barest glimpse of Earth — a tiny droplet of blue in the vast nothingness — and then it was gone. Pete thought that his tiny home planet had never looked more beautiful, even though it was only in his line of sight for a fraction of a moment.

He saw no fires or explosions as he spiraled. Pete knew that this was not a sign that his team was safe, but he clung to the hope, nonetheless. Maybe they were okay. Maybe they got away in time. Maybe the shuttle was able to withstand the barrage. Maybe. Maybe.

He spun and twisted and turned and conserved his breath. Slowly, Pete fell into a cosmic trance, glazed eyes staring out into the solar system. The celestial dance was hypnotic, like an interstellar mobile above the crib of humanity.

***

He was being pulled. Pulled in one direction. The sensation startled him from his reverie.

He spun and he twisted and rotated. Stars, the sun, planets, debris. What was tugging at him? He strained his eyes. Stars, the sun, planets, debris. Was he imagining it? Stars, the sun, planets, debris. No, he was not, Pete was sure of it. There was a definite sensation of being reigned in. But by what? Stars, the sun, planets, debris, stars, the sun, planets, debris, stars—

And then he saw it. And for a moment, he couldn’t breathe. His lungs contracted and all the air escaped him, as if he’d just been punched in the gut.

His thoughts were a mixed cocktail of fear, confusion, and fascination. How did we not see it? thought Pete, only distantly aware of his own feelings. How did we miss it? It’s huge.

The black hole occupied half of his visual space. If you were to only glance at it, you might just miss it — after all, most of the area surrounding it is also black. But the absence of the small yellow-white specs of distant stars gave away the gaping hole in time and space. There was also the accretion disk spinning around the gaping maw in the fabric of reality. The giant clouds of gas spun and spun around the shadow of the hole, twisting and rippling beyond recognition or cognition. It was smaller than the ones he’d studied, but now that he was facing it, Pete was astounded that it had not been observed earlier. After all, it was at the edge of their solar sys—

Pete didn’t recognize the stars. The thought hit him, and his brain dumped a load of adrenaline into his veins. As he spun towards his destination, his eyes traced the emptiness for the Earth. For planets — any that he knew. Mars. Jupiter. Venus. Saturn. Completely gone. It was all alien to him. Even the sun was different; smaller and somehow less vibrant. Rather than a bright, white-hot yellow surface, this star burned a deep orange that bordered on red.

Where am I? he thought, panic brimming in his chest. He knew that he had been propelled away from his home system, but he never actually thought—

He was closer to the black hole now, he saw, as he turned once more. Another realization hit him, with the low thud of an interplanetary bass drum: even if he had been in the shuttle, it would have already been too late to get away. The thought should have terrified him, but it instead soothed him. The idea that fighting was futile allowed Pete to accept his fate; had he a chance to escape, he would have fought — as panic flooded his thoughts — until he wasted his oxygen supply and starved himself of air.

The black hole’s shadow was hungrily consuming that which span around it. But it was more than that — the objects making up the accretion disk looked hungry to be eaten. The collective rotating disk slowly fed into the hole eagerly, each portion being allowed the time to flow in and disappear.

Pete was flying towards the hole faster and faster now. It was no longer the gentle pull it had been — a minute ago? An hour ago? A second ago? It dawned on Pete that time was beginning to lose its rigidity.

The astronaut allowed himself to be guided on a fast track through the shadow’s surrounding disk of orbiting materials; he was the guest of honor at this party of extinction. He looked down at his hands and saw the light being distorted and drained away, into the abyss. Pete knew that if someone were observing the phenomenon, they would not see him, attired in his spacesuit of white. No light would be escaping the rounded clutches of the infinite shadow.

Event horizon, he thought, as his brain was sliced into oblivion. A billion parts of his grey matter screamed in unison. Evnethrzion Enevthzorni Vneetzhirone Tvneeizoenrh Netvneorehizo Votenehroez— 

Pete’s final coherent thought was of his wife and his daughter, back home on Earth.

And then Pete felt himself being torn in two. But that wasn’t entirely right. He was becoming two. Simultaneously. He felt it. But the two Petes shared different fates. He was both, and somehow, he was neither. One Pete was incinerated instantaneously — torn apart and shredded into annihilation. It happened so quickly that he felt neither pain nor fear. One moment he was, the next he wasn’t. Pete was gone.

The other Pete was a different story.

***

He came out the other side. But it wasn’t him. Not the same one that had gone in. But it wasn’t an entirely different Pete, either. He felt like a drop of rainwater that had finally joined the ocean; still water, essentially — if you ignored the salt — but ultimately changed forever. Part of something bigger, indecipherable, integrated with everything else. Inseparable from the whole he had now joined.

The first thing he noticed was that he no longer had his old body. The second thing he noticed was that he did have a body of sorts. His body was everything. It took him a moment to register this sensation, but once he clocked it, it all made sense, in a single step. First, there was confusion, then there was complete and utter understanding and acceptance. There was not an in-between.

Pete was floating in nothing. Pete was also the nothingness. He was the vacuum in which he sailed. He was the darkness that surrounded him. The nothingness was overwhelming. He felt hollow at the emptiness inside. He felt stranded as he floated in the absence of everything.

The answers came to him via a drip-feed. The remedies came to him all at once, like a roaring waterfall.

Pete wanted light, and then there was a flare before his non-eyes. Sun, thought the thing that had once been human. The sun looked lonely, so the Pete-thing wanted planets to join it. Rocks appeared in the vacuum, scattered across the plain of darkness. Several collided with each other. Some exploded. Others floated off, for destinations that new-Pete was unconcerned with. Bits and pieces, here and there, began circling the throbbing star.

One of the worlds spinning around the burning ball of gas was thirsty, so the post-Pete-being gave it water. It looked blue and sparkling, as it twisted in the light. Like a marble, suspended in the ether. He also gave the other spheres some resources of their own, but these are closely guarded secrets which I will not spill.

Pete watched as things developed, occasionally putting in a hand here and there when he so wished. Never acting too often, never interfering too infrequently. The answers came to him both immediately and after an infinity, equally from external sources and from within. Now, Pete thought and was told, and then he acted accordingly — often simultaneously with the arrival of the instructions.

Pete tended to the thriving system like a gardener to their plot — planting seeds, watering, pruning, and harvesting. He watched his creations bloom. He watched his creations wither and die. Not everything is destined for a long life, and that is okay, thought Everything, as time unfolded in every direction.

After a time, the small creatures on the tiny blue speck began sending things outward. A few explosions, here and there. These small-scale sparks in the heavens told not-Pete that they were learning. He left them to it, for that was what he was meant to do.

Eventually, they got it right.

After a time, they began sending themselves out, too.

Following an instant and an eternity, Pete was joined by another.

September 26, 2019 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Arielle - Reedsy
22:12 Dec 13, 2019

"Following an instant and an eternity, Pete was joined by another." Chills. Every. Time.

Reply

11:24 Dec 20, 2019

Thanks, Arielle! Yeah, I was quite pleased with myself when I wrote that line!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sahara Baughen
15:01 Sep 08, 2022

I couldn't agree more it was an amazing story I just zoned out of the real world, and it just felt as if I was actually in the story, and I didn't even hear anyone trying to talk to me as I said I just completely zoned out and one when I'd finally finished reading it, my parents literally yelled at me for ignoring them it was that good!

Reply

Sahara Baughen
15:03 Sep 08, 2022

I loved it I really wished that there was more to it though I was actually nearly in tears when I finished it because there needed to be more to it than that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
15:22 Oct 04, 2019

This gave me chills. This story progressed into something so unexpected and I love it. Does the ending insinuate a time loop of sorts in which Earth repeated its history in the most identical way so that Pete once again got lost in space, entered the black hole and found himself again?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Violet Anne
01:49 Oct 04, 2019

I love this! Makes me eager for more. What happens next? Also, great imagery, by the way.

Reply

Bella Shah
21:21 Dec 11, 2020

I totally agree with you, Violet! Joshua does a great job with this story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:57 Oct 02, 2019

This is incredible!

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:40 Oct 10, 2019

Thanks, everyone! I'm really pleased you all liked the story. It means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maybe Jupiter
10:47 Oct 08, 2019

Good job! This made me want to keep reading, and I was sad when it ended. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:33 Oct 08, 2019

To all those, asking for what happens next in the comment section: Nothing happens next, that's the end of it all. End of every life that ever existed, is that it turns into a supreme being, that itself is everything. (I hope the writer agrees). I would suggest everyone who liked the story reading 'The Egg by Andy Weir'. It was a very well executed idea, Joshua. Keep it up.

Reply

Bobby Gupta
20:30 Oct 18, 2019

I think this is different than Andy Weir's "The Egg." It might not be the end. What if...Pete was joined by another being, say an alien.

Reply

15:57 Oct 23, 2019

The story clearly says "His body was everything". He was the space himself, everything was a part of his. I think this can not refer to anything but a supreme state, a state that encompasses everything. Joined by an alien, I believe, is too petty an interpretation for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
03:41 Oct 06, 2019

Story takes you a direction not expected, which is always entertaining from one who has read countless stories. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellie Garrett
23:31 Oct 04, 2019

Very impressive!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Skye Crosby
03:59 Oct 20, 2019

"The other Pete was a different story." That line actually made me release a breath of suspense. I loved the impending mystery and the stellar descriptions and emotions. Really well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Athina Antoniou
10:08 Oct 07, 2019

Great story! I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. I half wished that Pete would somehow manage to find his way back to earth, even though I knew that was a bit far-fetched. Good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Madeline Howell
14:30 Oct 05, 2019

I love the imagery in this story. It's so vivid. I was surprised by the ending, but in a good way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cole Lane
01:56 Mar 21, 2021

Wow, this is intense! Black holes are really a cool thing to ponder, a place where time and space are no longer the masters, but what is? What do we become in a place where all matter is redefined?

Reply

13:01 Mar 22, 2021

Thanks, Cole! I've often pondered this myself (hence the story!).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maria Zhuravleva
20:59 Jul 28, 2020

Hello Joshua, I was wondering if I could use your story for content for my Youtube channel? I'm planning to start one and I was thinking to react to your story because I enjoyed it so much and wanted to share it with others. I will credit you appropriately and add a link to where my yet non-existent viewers could check out this story and your others. I wanted to ask you for your permission before I went ahead and did anything. Would that be alright with you? Thank you very much, I await your answer.

Reply

08:20 Jul 29, 2020

Hi Maria, thanks for your message and for asking for permission! Yes, of course, that would be more than okay. Please share a link to your channel if/when you start making it, as I'm looking forward to watching your videos! If it's not too much to ask, would you mind mentioning my new book, which I've just self-published? Here's a link: https://amzn.to/3fcWrRA

Reply

Maria Zhuravleva
12:28 Aug 12, 2020

https://youtu.be/GaAZx5dQgbs aight yes here it is

Reply

18:52 Aug 26, 2020

Awesome! I really enjoyed it, and your analysis was great (and very kind!). Looking forward to part two, as well as future videos. Subscribed. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maria Zhuravleva
15:27 Aug 10, 2020

I just need to edit it now and get verified because it got a little too long even if it’s only half. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Norman
09:54 Feb 06, 2022

Thanks for coming on our Read Lots Write Lots podcast and discussing this story, amongst other things. Deidra was right in her praise. It is awesome.

Reply

10:23 Feb 07, 2022

Glad you liked the story, Russell! Thanks for having me on your podcast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
18:49 Jan 13, 2021

Awesome! So descriptive and chilling! Loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.