4 comments

Creative Nonfiction

The grand party at the Celebration hall is going on continuously, since the evening. All the attendees and the Organizing members of The Pride Club seem to be too happy and busy in enjoying the party. People have come here with hi fi fashion outfits; as if they have come to appear in a fashion contest. Many high profile persons, celebrities, political leaders, millionaires have gathered at the party venue. All are enjoying songs & dance, cocktail, mocktail, beer, vodka, whisky, chicken lollipops, creamy paradise and so many items. In the evening, there was a felicitation event to put garlands on the jumbo photo of Late Neel. With a 6 inch high chest, the proud son of Neel named Robin received the appreciation letter, a big citation containing beautiful words of appreciation about Neel, a check of $10,000 and so many other gifts. Next month, Robin will fly to receive the Dexterity Championship award, on behalf his father.

“Ladies & Gentlemen, we feel proud to announce that Neel M. has made all proud by winning the prestigious World Title: Dexterity Champion. There will be a Felicitation Ceremony and a Grand Party, at the Grandy Party Hall, Street Number 3. We, on behalf of The Pride Club welcome you……”, since yesterday noon, the announcement had been going on till today afternoon, at the Pride Club building, the most popular Group of People of this Area. Till the day before yesterday, nobody here heard of Neel M. - a homeless earthen craftsman, who resided on the deserted end of Street number 3 and died two months back, silently with an empty stomach, carrying lots of pains of poverty & laxity.

The grand party is going on, on the occasion of the Felicitation Event of Late Neel M., global Dexterity Championship winner. Everywhere, there are banners of the Pride Club with the bright portrait of Neel M., soliciting new Membership, with Celebration Discount.

This one is the most preferred Club of people of this area, with the monthly membership fee of $1,000. Getting into the Club is a matter of prestige, as the membership to the Club is a Status Symbol. The Party Hall belongs to The Pride Club. Today, there are so many Ad Banners, in and around the party Hall. Ability to put a high value Ad at the event of the Club is also a matter of status.

Neel would never get a membership at this elite Club, as a poor Craftsman. But, the overnight celebrity status due to a prestigious global award that went viral in the social media made him so special that a giant photo of him has already got the most special place at the Club and his son Robin has got a grand Welcome to the club as the lifetime free Honored Member.

On the occasion of the Celebration, many members of the Club have enjoyed drinks and gossips, as much as possible. In the evening, prior to the party, many journalists of different Media Channels and News Papers, gathered to cover the Felicitation cum Celebration event. Since the morning, the leadership team of The Pride Club has taken some good photos & videos, keeping the giant photo of Neel, at the background, for submission to different social media.

+++++

Neel was a simple person from a village, who dreamt to create miracles on the earthen jars. After working at some crafts Firms as a craftsman, he decided to open his own crafts Firm, so that he could create some original crafts, which nobody created earlier. He knew that he could create extremely good masterpieces that might not come out in ordinary efforts; but, alas, there was no buyer. He used to put his original creative decorative pieces, on the street market of Street Number 3. Native visitors or foreign tourists were mainly his customers, who came to take close-up clicks and video of his works. Whatever money he earned, he would spend more than half of the same, for the education costs of Robin. Neel lost his wife Priya, when Robin was too small. Riya, who was a good friend of Priya, volunteered to take care of Robin, when he was small. Neel decided to get Robin highly educated, so that he could be a well settled person, in the USA.

Neel's financial struggle was too high; there was no sale of his crafts works. But, yet Neel was optimistic that someone from somewhere would definitely be able to understand his creative designs and would honestly appreciate. Neel worked for 16-18 hours, every day, to create dreams on his crafts  and Kamal, his aide would carry the earthen crafts pieces to the nearest market place. Thousands of clicks and videos had been taken by different visitors, who would come across, because the crafts were unique; the micro level works on every piece, were awesome and original. One Mr. John from the USA submitted the required clicks & videos of Neel works for the Dexterity Championship, 6 months back. John really loved the brilliant works of Neel and he honestly wanted to help Neel.

+++++

Neel did not have money at all; as his crafts were hardly sold. Robin, a software Engineer in the USA, never turned back to his father. Probably, he got scared to come back to a place, he always wanted to run away from, as his childhood was very bitter. Robin was very brilliant; got excellent scores in his board exam and also in the graduation. He managed to get a very good scholarship and went to the USA for higher study, with the help of an NGO. Neel continued with his struggle. His struggle was among three things – his hunger in the belly, no recognition of his works and the poor market response. Neel expected his only son Robin to come back to him, at least once, to see him.

+++++

Robin did not get the information about his father’s death. He has come back yesterday only after the news of his father’s winning of $2 million world championship on craftsmanship went viral.

In these years, Robin actually developed hatred for his father, due to his stubborn nature of sticking to craftsmanship that did not give him money and success. Neel always tried to convince his son that he was doing justice to his creativity by adhering to craftsmanship that would take him to the path of success, one day.

+++++

The grand party, on the occasion of Neel’s global winning is still going on. It is a matter of pride for everyone of this area, because the global award winner Neel belonged to this area. The Pride Club, the most established group of this District is able to take the best advantage of Neel’s overnight fame caused by the Social media. In the last two days, this Group is able to increase its membership sale by 200%.

August 28, 2020 17:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kristy Reynolds
16:05 Sep 09, 2020

This story was very hard to follow. There is a lot of information thrown at you in the very beginning. Some of your paragraphs repeat each other (see the last one) I am not sure what the story is about. This sounds like a brainstorming session for a story, maybe setting it up but the whole story wasn't posted?

Reply

Khagesh Mahanta
22:05 Sep 09, 2020

Thanks for your comment. This is actually the story of a talented craftsman, who did not get any recognition of his superb skills in his lifetime and had to do lots of struggle for survival. He died untimely, But, the news of his winning of a world championship went viral in the social media, that made him an overnight star, posthumously. The story is started with the celebration of a grand party organized by the biggest group of People of the location. In the name of felicitation, that group took the full advantage of his overnight stard...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raymond Kelly
16:14 Oct 21, 2020

I think the story has good concepts, but lacks the quality and clarity to actually convey them effectively. I was a little bit confused that Neel had died, and it was hard to understand the party's actions. Maybe if the son was invited to the party, but they didn't give him a good welcome, that would have helped fulfill the prompt better and flesh out the story in a more natural way.

Reply

Khagesh Mahanta
16:41 Oct 21, 2020

Thanks for the feedback. The party was to celebrate the winning of a prestigious global award by Neel (though posthumously), Neel's son was given very warm welcome and lifetime free membership ("........his son Robin has got a grand Welcome to the club as the lifetime free Honored Member......"). Could you please go through the Story, again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.