0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

The kingdom of Rubi Isle is on planet tellus – earth’s twin. Only it was born about 800 years later. The land was fertile with perennial rivers and so agriculture flourished. One of those grown rich was Lodz and he had shifted to dealing in gold and jewellery leaving agriculture to be looked after by his sons Tab and Zep. Lodz was a widower having lost his wife early. Tab was 22 and Zep was 20.They had settled in Yudel, the agricultural area, and they lived in a spacious house. They had a cook cum housekeeper – a middle aged woman who lived with her young daughter Chili. The cook suddenly found she had a lover and vanished leaving Chili who had been trained to take her place. Chili was attractive and more than that was ambitious.

One day when Zep was away Chili fainted with a moan. Tab who was having lunch rushed to her help. He sprinkled water on her face and revived her. He saw her clothes had all been displaced and .  found his instincts for the woman were uncontrollable. He cursed himself for not having given attention to her as a woman that far.

She said “I’m sorry I fainted causing you trouble.”

He nodded and gave rein to his roused feelings to which she had no objection. Chili was no more a virgin. From that time he continued his liaison with her. He did it discreetly without Zep knowing about it. Another day Zep came home unexpectedly at an odd hour when Tab was at work in the field. Zep was slightly drunk and was surprised to find Chili having a bath in the nude.

He said “I’m sorry I surprised you. But I didn’t realise you were so beautiful and had such a fine physique. Now that I’ve seen all of you I’m tempted to ... to..you know...”

She said “Master, I’m entirely at your service. I needn’t say more.”

Zep instantly took advantage of her. From then on she was consorting with the brothers without the two of them coming to know of the other’s involvement.

Chili was shrewd and was calculating on what would happen after Lodz passed on. His abundant property had to come to his next of kin who were Tab and Zep. Perhaps Tab would get more, she mused, as he was very hard working. She knew that while Tab was very responsible and careful in spending, Zep had become a gambler. He would neglect the crops and spend money and time frittering away money in gambling.

Lodz meanwhile summoned his lawyer Clout. Clout was a professional who had deep knowledge of  the laws of the land and had many prosperous clients. He was young and handsome.

 When Clout came Lodz said “You know I’ve two sons Tab and Zep and they live in the agricultural area Yudel. Tab is a very responsible manager of the crops but Zep is a gambler.”

“Sir, have you advised Zep?”

“Several times. But he ignores my advice. I’m busy with my jewellery business here. I want advice on responsibly bequeathing my property.  Remember that the matter should be totally confidential.”

Clout nodded and said “That I can guarantee. But about how to go further I must examine after meeting your sons.”

“Please visit Yudel and talk to Tab and Zep. You can then tell me about how my property should be bequeathed.”

Clout said “I’ll do my best.”

Next morning Clout made his way to Yudel in his horse drawn cart. His route was via a wooded region. The weather was pleasant as it had rained the previous night. The experienced coachman drove carefully so that Clout would have a comfortable ride. After about an hour he was in the house in Yudel where the brothers stayed.  

Clout found the brothers very friendly and ready to discuss points raised.

Clout said “Your father has retained me as he has considerable assets to be left to his successors namely you Tab and Zep.”

Zep said “I expect he would let us share equally in his wealth. But I need more as I’ve commitments. The sooner I get money the better it would be.”

Clout was silent.

Tab said “I will gladly accept whatever dad leaves to me but I’ll be grateful for half share.”

Zep again said “I need money urgently. Dad knows my need. I don’t have to say more.”

They discussed the matter further when Tab said “It’s now lunchtime. Please join us for lunch. We’ve an excellent cook Chili you see there.”

Clout saw the attractive young woman. He joined for lunch and found the items served were very tasty. After lunch he said “I really enjoyed the meal. Chili is indeed a very good cook.”

Chili who had been listening to all that was spoken was greatly pleased with the guest.

They talked some more and then Clout sought a comfort pause. Tab led the man to the rear of the building and said “Please use that toilet. We will wait for you.”

As soon as Clout had closed the door there was a knock and he opened the door to see Chili standing outside.

She whispered “What I’ve to say is confidential. I’ve lived with the brothers and told them I’m in the family way though I’m not. Tab is eager to marry me. Please take these facts into consideration when you advice Lodz.”  She withdrew.

Later as Clout made his way back he was thoughtful about how he should counsel Lodz.  After deliberating on the issues he went to Lodz the next day and said “I was at Yudel and have spoken to your sons. Tab claims that he has worked hard in managing the farm and that he deserves more of your property if it could be spared. Zep has been squandering money and is in debt. In between they have impregnated their cook Chili. What I would suggest is that you give a lump sum to Zep and disown him. Leave the rest of your property to Chili, who is in the family way and is becoming Tab’s wife. I studied her during my visit and she will make a good wife to Tab and run the family responsibly.”

“I accept your advice.”

Lodz grew sick and died a couple of months later. The will made out as per Clout’s advice came as a shock. Zep was unhappy that his debts wouldn’t be covered by the fixed amount left by his father. Ted knew he had to marry to get his father’s wealth and said “It is not fair. I was wooing someone else.” Chili was delighted that she had inherited all property that Lodz had died possessed of. And another month later Chili married Clout! Clout wisely retained Tab to run the farm.

END

August 10, 2022 05:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.