Always Next Season

Submitted into Contest #256 in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

25 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Historical Fiction

The first televised FA Cup Final occurred in 1938 and it was a lacklustre affair. After 29 minutes of extra-time with no goals, BBC commentator Thomas Woodrooffe said, “if there’s a goal now, I’ll eat my hat.” Thousands were already on their way towards the exits, when Preston’s inside-right was brought down and the referee pointed towards the penalty spot. Wembley stadium was silent when George Mutch set the ball in place with aplomb and retreated a few steps. He raised his head, picked his mark and darting forward, hoofed the ball, which took the paint off the bar, screamed into the middle of the goal and ran down the back of the net. 

   It was eighty-five years ago when young Robin ‘Bobbly’ Robertson heard the thunderous roar of Preston North End’s supporters. He was sitting on his father’s shoulders when Mutch scored against Huddersfield Town and became the hero of the day. As a result of that last-minute goal, Mutch cemented North End’s place in soccer history and they were accepted amongst the top flight of contenders. Pundits in the British Press christened them “The Invincibles” and zealous fans cheered them on at Preston’s Deepdale Stadium, presuming their glory would continue to flourish. Legend has it that Thomas Woodrooffe ate a hat as promised, although it was a trilby-shaped cake made from marzipan.

* * *

Alas, fairy tales are often cautionary stories in disguise and as the forties became the fifties, the fans had little to show for their enthusiasm. There were no more cups to display. Regardless, the club’s directors expanded Deepdale Stadium’s capacity for hope of a revival, but as the sixties melted into the seventies, it was obvious the team of the moment had had their time in the sun. Preston never repeated that early success, and only the most loyal fans returned year after year to support their struggling team. 

   Meanwhile, during the eighties, leagues of accountants transformed the once ‘beautiful game’ into a financial contest fought in boardrooms between affluent investors and frenzied owners, both eager to profit from their investments and increase their shareholder’s dividends. Alas, once-proud Preston failed to attract any generous benefactors, and slipped into a fiscal quagmire. With precious little remaining of their mighty reputation, they did well to remain afloat as a middle-ranking team in the second-division.

* * *

Robin, or ‘Bobbly’ as he was known, is the last of his seven contemporaries to witness that legendry season of 1938; it was like a dream of a half-remembered and distant land evaporating into vapour. He often talked about how they all gathered outside the Deepdale Stadium to receive their triumphant team when they returned from Wembley. Everyone cheered when the squad appeared in an open-top bus and applauded the captain, Tommy Smith, when he raised the glorious silverware aloft. 

   “Look!” Jimmy Walker said. “It’s glinting like the crown jewels.” 

   “It’s like they pinched it from the Tower of London,” said his brother. 

   “Nah!” Mark Butcher said, chewing gum. “It’s back where it belongs.”

* * *

As a youngster, Bobbly accompanied his father and Uncle Harry to Preston’s home matches every fortnight during the season. They rarely attended away fixtures because Bobbly’s father despised football fans en masse and detested their unruly behaviour. On the rare occasions he’d ventured to away matches, he’d seen drunken fights, police arrests and violence, and it’d put him off for life. He was so averse to getting dragged into challenging situations that he never wore any of the scarves his wife bought him, claiming they made his neck itch.

* * *

As a lifelong supporter, Bobbly shared all North End’s ups and downs - mainly nosedives of late - and stayed loyal throughout. Barbara, his wife, referred to Preston North End as ‘the third party’. Barbara had the patience of a saint and a wry sense of humour. She tolerated his love of football and the endless Saturdays waiting for his return, followed by hours of television coverage from the day’s other matches. Exactly how close she’d come to cite ‘the club’ as a third party in court, only she knew. Barbara joked about being a soccer widow, only it wasn’t that funny, really. She’d shown an interest in his obsession, but he'd always discouraged her from attending matches. When it came to his sacred Saturday afternoon’s pleasure, it was non-negotiable. Bobbly’s excuse when Deepdale invested in permanent fixed-seating was that it was too crowded, and he feared for her safety. Given the Hillsborough tragedy in the nineties, he had a point. Of course, it was better than the arrangement in the old days. Once you were inside the original stadium, it was almost impossible to get to the toilet and often fans would urinate where they stood, which was fairly foul.    

   “I hear that Deepdale has got new seats,” she announced one Saturday. 

   “I’m not sure that’s true, dear.”

   In fact, it was well known that most clubs installed discrete seating decades ago.   

   Barbara wasn’t one for quitting and said, “I hear they’ve also got separate ladies’ and gents’ toilets?” 

   Bobbly produced even more reasons for her not to attend until she got the message. Maybe she’d got used to the peace and quiet? I recall seeing the two of them watching international matches during the world cup and giggling as Barbara got involved with the game. She’d kick and yelp in front of the TV during matches on Saturday nights while Bobbly rolled his eyes and sighed. I reckon Bobbly’s reason for not including his wife in trips to Deepdale was out of embarrassment. I’m sure he couldn’t bear the thought of her histrionics beside him at the club. ‘Bloody embarrassing,’ he’d said to his grandson. ‘We can’t be having her showing us up like that.’

* * *

It can’t be fun at a certain age to know that all one’s friends are disappearing. The whole process is made more obvious now they’ve got numbered seats in the stadium. ‘I see Jimmy Walker’s not with us…’ 

‘Oh,’ Bill would say. ‘You mean number 311?’ 

‘I suppose so. I haven’t seen him since---’ 

‘He’s left the stadium, I’m afraid. A week ago.’ 

‘That’s a shock. But better than a slow demise?’ 

They both agreed there was nothing worse.

* * *

The supporters are a different breed nowadays. They spend all their time speculating about who’s going to win and how they’d be better off placing a bet on both sides, so at least they win something. The fans behave like another species and the entire make-up of the stadium has altered too. It’s ordered and regulated with seating, but the seats are too close together. It’s funny how the old stands were so cramped for space, but somehow there was an illusion of movement. Maybe it’s because you were standing up and everyone surged in unison. United and together with one thought in mind.

   “But I don’t get why women-folk are encouraged. I mean, where will it end?” 

   “That would never have happened years ago.” 

   “Women weren’t interested, and it was a man’s world, tightly packed, uncomfortable and smelling of sweat and urine.” 

   “Not like today.” 

   Hot potatoes in their jacket pockets, pissing down people’s backs because they couldn’t get from the stands to toilets. Yes, things were different. The matches were competitive, but there was a friendly edge to proceedings. There was a reluctant and begrudging respect for the opposition. Nowadays, the fans are aggressive and violent towards the visiting supporters; both physically and verbally, and always looking for a fight.

   Bobbly’s ten contemporaries once had a wager on who would see the club promoted. In his latter years, Bobbly said that after they reached the Premiership, he’d ‘happily shuffle off his mortal coil with pride’.

   Well, here we are. It’s the last game of the season and Bobbly is the last of the old lads who joined for life. Mark Butcher passed away two years ago and Bobbly is still present in mind and body. It’s a tense match, but it ends in defeat. ‘Not unexpected,’ Bobbly said afterwards. ‘They always run out of steam at the tail end of the season. No stamina this lot, not like the old days.’

   Once more, the club won’t get promoted to the Premiership. However, on the bright side, Bobby will live to fight another day because ‘There’s always next season’.

   “It used to be a place for dads to take their sons,” Bobbly said, shaking his head. “Now the tickets are too pricey and they’re paying the players too much.” He folded his match-day program as he prepared to leave.

   “We have a special announcement, everyone….”

   A silence descends on the ground as the tannoy continues.

   “The family and friends of Mister Bobbly Robertson would like to wish our oldest surviving club member a happy ninetieth birthday…”

   “What’s that? Bobbly asked me.

   “On the screen, look, Grandpa…”

   The fans all stand up and cheer on request, clapping as they do so.

   “Oh, my gosh,” he says, rubbing his eyes. “Is this your handiwork, lad?”

   “Happy Birthday, Grandpa.”

   “Many Happy Returns, Bobbly!” says the tannoy as applause filled the ground.

Bobbly shrugged and wiped a tear from his eye as pictures from his youth appeared on the huge plasma screen above the visitors’ stand. 

   “A bit of dust caught in my eye,” he says. “Probably all that clapping.”

   After the applause diminished, Bobbly remained in his seat. He refused to join the chaotic stampede departing the stadium. It’s as if he was savouring the echoes of hundreds of matches from yesteryear. Faces and names he’d never forget and all those beautiful games.

The End

June 28, 2024 18:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Carol Stewart
19:56 Jun 30, 2024

Oh the play on that name! Almost had it down as a typo. So much here rings true about the stands especially, not that I ever attended a match but I've heard. Hillsborough was 89. Good and interesting read.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:02 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Carol, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. The original soccer stands were always a mess and frightening places for the faint hearted, and Hillsborough was a tragedy waiting to happen; it was just a matter of time…. In that respect, health and safety standards and fixed seating arrangements have improved matters, but it’s sanitised the atmosphere, and somewhat dulled the overall quality…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
07:12 Jun 30, 2024

Well there's proof if you can write well, any story is good. I am not a football fan and never have been - but that was a lovely story. Thanks Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:26 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Stevie, Thank you for reading my football story and sharing your positive feedback. If you’re not a soccer fan, then I can only commend you for sticking with my saga and take it as a compliment that you made it to the end. I guess like most topics we write about, it’s essential to find the passion, reveal the emotion and forge a human connection. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. D.
12:27 Jul 03, 2024

Heartwarming. :) I had to check a few words for their meaning, but I'm sure that's only because I'm neither local nor much of a sporting fan. I chuckled at "leagues of accountants" - a wry spin on the theme. ;)

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:45 Jul 03, 2024

Hey L.D., Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased you chuckled at the humour. Humour is the mortar between the bricks in my stories and I love a comedic undercurrent bubbling away below the surface, especially when there’s a serious moment…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
18:34 Jul 02, 2024

A great read Howard. Well done! I'm sure this story could be set at any sporting event from baseball, to hockey, to horseracing ... I envisioned Bobbly through all the stages of his life.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:13 Jul 02, 2024

Hey John, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and positive feedback. Yes, you’re probably correct concerning its interchangeability with other sporting events; I’m sure financial developments have affected most sports in some way, shape or form, and it’s only when we view those incremental changes in an arc that occurs over a lifetime that it all makes sense…. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:38 Jul 02, 2024

Lovely story, Howard. Captured so many valid points. Even someone not interested in the game could appreciate this.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:03 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Helen, Thank you for your thoughtful response; it’s reassuring to discover my story has a universal appeal despite the subject matter. I suppose, regardless of circumstances, we all have a lot more in common than we appreciate and finding the thread that binds us together is key to storytelling, wouldn’t you agree? HH :)

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:23 Jul 02, 2024

Yes. It’s great when people from different cultures, backgrounds unite together and connect because of love of a story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:27 Jun 30, 2024

Greed and revenue ruin so many things. Sport has changed a lot. This is exactly as it used to be; the loyalty, support and entertainment value. All those great soccer matches. You captured it beautifully.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:49 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and agreeing with its sentiment; it’s such a shame that money has corrupted so much of sport’s ethics. Alas, the days of neighbourhood football heroes and their loyal followers challenging acrimonious local opposition are long gone. However, i it’s quite interesting that in the U.K. there’s been a surge of interest in rugby; a game that boasts all the quaint attributes originally associated with soccer. Rugby’s appeal is very subjective and emotive in equal parts; definitely an acquired taste, thou...

Reply

04:31 Jul 02, 2024

Heard of the All Blacks? NZ.

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:49 Jul 02, 2024

Yes, of course, and the All Blacks’ reputation for ‘professionalism’ goes before them. I should have defined my response as a description of Rugby League as opposed to Rugby Union - and thereby lies the difference in approach and abiding by the referee’s decision. Rugby League still holds true to the Webb Ellis tradition of rules including a non-professional ethos based on fair play as opposed to the RFU with its reward system involving high financial incentives - thus returning to the argument about money corrupting sport at every level….

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:32 Jun 29, 2024

As a casual woman watcher of the game (I can't say I'm a die-hard fan, but I do have a Chelsea kit from their prime. Long story. Hahaha !), tsk tsk, Bobbly. Hahahaha ! But yes, a great display of how a game can be more than just that for one person. Splendid use of emotional pull here. Lovely work !

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:15 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Alexis, Thank for reading my latest story and sharing your covert soccer secret; it’s been a while since Chelsea were winning all the trophies, but there’s always next season…. HH :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:32 Jul 02, 2024

Ugh ! I know what you mean. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:40 Jun 29, 2024

Such an emotional story. Well done.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:11 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Darvico, I glad you liked my soccer saga and hope it conjured up fond memories or humorous recollections associated with your own sporting allegiances. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:22 Jun 28, 2024

Triumphant tribute. Thanks for liking my Fair Lady Charity.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:08 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my little saga about ‘the beautiful game’. I’m glad you enjoyed it and apologise for not responding sooner :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:25 Jun 28, 2024

Wish I could give you more than one thumb up. What a wonderful story of loyalty. Showing how the game has gone to pot, with accoantants, comfort seat and women. Is nothing sacred anymore? :-) Great job, Howard. Here's hoping.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:15 Jul 02, 2024

Hey Trudy, I’ve been off grid and off line for a couple of days, however thank you for reading my story and sharing your positivity. I see from your comments that you enjoyed the sense of humour as well as my potted history of ‘the beautiful game’. It’s certainly one of those sports that inspires or demands life-long support and a sense of belief based on blind faith. HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:30 Jul 02, 2024

You are welcome and welcome back. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.