2 comments

Fiction

As the butler seated us in the drawing room, I turned to my daughter. "Oh my, Violet, you're a regular Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. You did read that new novel I purchased for you?" I kept my voice down since we were expecting the Lord and Lady of the manor to enter at any moment.


"Not yet, mother. What do you mean?" Violet appeared irritated with me, as usual.


"I mean, this is quite a place. To think one day you'll be the lady of the house."


"Oh, stop, mother. It's a surprise to me, too. I fell in love with Charles, the man. It's just a happy coincidence that they have—" 


As Lord Richard and Lady Cora entered the room, we all stood. My daughter and I curtsied, and my husband, Arthur, bowed his head. 


The gregarious and dapper Lord Richard extended his hand to my husband as a thunderbolt struck me. No, it couldn't be. Smith is such a common name. Sir Richard couldn't be the man I had a liaison with twenty years ago who fathered my only child. The room began to spin, and then it went black.


I came to on the fainting couch. As Violet fanned me, a servant offered me water. "I'm terribly sorry. I don't know what came over me."


Lady Cora graciously said, "You've just had a long journey. Perhaps it is best if you retire till dinner. Should we call the doctor for you?"


"No, not at all. I just need to rest a bit. Thank you." I sat up slowly, not wanting to embarrass myself again. Arthur took my arm, and we followed our servant escort. As I walked past Lord Richard, who I had known as Dick, I gave him a knowing stare but got little response other than a forced smile.


###


Arthur started snoring in no time. I had no intention of resting when such a calamity was afoot. My daughter mustn't marry the Smith boy—they're half-siblings. What to do. What to do. I must speak with Dick. Maybe he would be in his study. This house was enormous, but fortunately, I ran into a servant who pointed the way.


The study door was closed, and I knocked lightly. "Come in," said the deep, commanding voice.


I ventured in. Dick sat at his desk in the enormous room and was writing with his quill pen. "Mrs. Abbott? May I help you with something?" He appeared solicitous but either didn't remember me or was keeping up a ruse.


"Please call me Abigail. We met before, you know, in Bath, about twenty years ago." I could feel my forehead crinkle as I gave him that "I know you" look again.


"Bath, really? Are you sure?" He looked just as handsome as before, tall and trim, with a firm jaw and a thick head of dark hair. I remembered that cleft chin oh so well. 


"Yes, at a ball. We danced several times, had too much to drink, and—"


"Madam, I do beg your pardon. You're quite mistaken, I assure you. I'll brook no insinuations. I think it's best that you return upstairs to your husband. I'll thank you for never mentioning this again."


I could feel my face turn beet red. He put up a convincing false front. With few options, I scurried back to the staircase. I devised my backup plan on the way up.


###


I opened our bedroom door, and Arthur sat in a chair reading the paper. 


"Where have you been?"


"Just nosing around."


"You should be resting. You fainted, remember?"


"Oh, yes, yes. I'm fine. Is that a fresh pot of tea?


"Yes, the servant just brought it in. Sit down and have some." I sat and poured myself a cup.


"I have something to bring up." His eyes peered at me over his glasses with that "what now?" look.


"I'm not certain Charles Smith is a good match for our daughter."


"I can't believe my ears. What's your objection? Is the family too rich? You haven't even met him yet." As he spoke, I took a peek out the window and had to withhold my gasp. Well-kept grounds as far as the eye could see surrounding an ideally situated lake. What a prospect—it was just like Pemberley in Austen's novel.


"Precisely. We haven't met Charles yet, and Violet hasn't known him long. She's only nineteen. Can't we simply slow things down?"


"You realize that if you don't marry your daughter off to a rich man, you could be out on the street when my worthless, insipid nephew takes over our humble estate when I die."


"Oh yes. The entail. That's an unfortunate reality that we didn't have a son. We were lucky to have a daughter after years of trying. Oh dear. I just don't want things rushed. Can you withhold your consent to their marrying for now?"


"No, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Lord Richard isn't a man to say 'no' to." With that, Arthur raised his newspaper, fixed his glasses to the proper spot on his nose, and ended the conversation. 


###


Arthur wasn't helpful. My daughter was my next best option. I tapped on her bedroom door. "Violet, it's me."


"Just a minute." I waited. "Yes, mother?" She cracked the door open.


"May I come in?" Violet relented and opened the door further. She flounced onto her bed and sprung up a little after sitting down. "I was hoping to have a word."


Violet appeared defiant before I even told her what I wanted to talk about. This did not bode well. Was that a whiff of vomit I smelt?


"My dear, I'm having misgivings about how fast things are progressing. You've only known Charles, what, three months now."


"That's right, Mother." Her lips pursed out.


"Are you sure that's long enough to make a lifelong decision?"


"What's the matter, Mother? Is Smith Manor not luxurious enough for you?" She baited me with that remark. "Isn't this what you've always wanted, for me to marry a rich man?"


"I want you to marry for love," I said sincerely. "Having a well-to-do husband is frosting on the cake."


"I do love him, mummy." Calling me mummy meant she wanted something. "You will, too, when you meet him at dinner. Besides, we have to marry quickly. Next week, even, if possible."


"What?! When were you planning to spring that on me?"


"Now. Violet stood up wearing her dressing gown, turned sideways, and revealed her swollen belly. "I'm with child."


That was vomit I smelled. This changed everything. I took in a deep breath to get my bearings. "I see. You're quite right, my dear. A quick wedding to avoid a scandal, then. There's no choice. Who knows?"


"Just me and the doctor I saw in London last week."


"That's my girl. May I have your permission to tell Lady Cora? We'll set the wheels in motion. Leave it to two women to remedy everything."


"Thanks, mummy." She put out her arms to hug me, and we embraced.


"Are you feeling okay? Some morning sickness, perhaps?"


"A bit. I'll be fine. I'm really so happy. You'll love Charles."


As I left the room, I couldn't blame her promiscuous ways. Daughter like mother. I just prayed that she would have a healthy baby. I would never reveal the truth of her parentage. She's not the only one with secrets.


###


The next morning, I entered the sunroom where Lady Cora had invited me to a private tea. The lovely glass-encased room with a view of the garden took my breath away. I hoped the tranquil setting would help me broach a difficult topic with her. 


"Please have a seat, Abigail," Lady Cora said as she extended her arm toward our cozy table.


"Thank you, Lady Cora. You've been so kind to us." I genuinely meant it.


"It's about time you called me Cora, don't you think?" She smiled. I tried not to be distracted by her captivating rose silk gown with puffed sleeves.


"Let's see if you still say that after I bring up a delicate topic." My eyebrows shot up to warn her.


"My husband tells me that you think you met him before." I grimaced. She thrust a dagger with such aplomb.


"Oh my, no. Your husband must have misunderstood me. He resembled someone who I knew years ago. Let's quash that rumor before it goes anywhere."


"Quite right. It's forgotten. Was that your delicate topic?" Recovering, I took a sip of tea and drew breath.


"Actually, no—"


"You wanted to tell me that your daughter is in the family way even before the betrothal is announced?" I felt my facial muscles droop. She already knew. "I saw the signs and have a very loyal staff." Were they all spying on us?


"I see. Then you agree that a quick wedding is best?"


"Indeed. I've already spoken to my husband. He didn't want to know the details, but he's no fool. He'll go along with what we decide."


"What did you have in mind?"


"Next week. Just family." Cora nonchalantly sipped her Earl Grey.


"Agreed."


"I think we're going to get along just fine." We both smiled and clinked tea cups to seal the deal. 


###


A week later, as we sat in the drawing room, I had to agree with my daughter. Her fiancé, Charles, was not only rich but handsome and charming. He brightened every room and exuded politeness and grace. Fortunately, I convinced Arthur that I changed my mind about the couple marrying once I met Charles. It surprised him that the date was so soon, but he didn't object. 


Dressmakers, tailors, and florists descended upon the manor with a flurry of preparation after Cora and I had tapped our tea cups. Now, the night before the wedding, the entire wedding party had assembled with equanimity. We waited for one more family member to arrive before dinner: Dick's cousin.


My stomach lurched as the spitting image of Dick entered the room. He could be Dick's twin all the way down to his cleft chin.


"Abigail, may I present my cousin, the honorable Richard Smith. We call him "Dickie" to avoid confusion," said Lord Richard. I did my curtsey and felt my knees shake and legs weaken. It was him. This man is Violet's father.


"Have we met before? Perhaps in Bath ages ago?" Dickie asked me. My shock transformed into relief as I realized one crisis was over on the heels of another.


"Respectfully, no. I've never been to Bath. May I introduce my husband, Arthur?"


"I beg your pardon, madam," said Dickie. "Many people look alike." He winked at me, then glanced toward his cousin with a wry smile.



June 08, 2024 17:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

MK Brain Frank
16:37 Jun 24, 2024

Another fun twist! Love the scene with Lord Richard where he denies that he knows that narrator, followed by her introduction to the real "Dickie." Clever pairing of a lighthearted farcical situation with the era you write.

Reply

Kristy Schnabel
17:04 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you, MK! I enjoyed writing this one very much. I'm grateful to you for reading it. ~Kristy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.