Addressed to Kate

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Start your story with someone being presented with a dilemma.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Suspense Thriller

To forget about it or live forever with .....



She purchased the land for dirt cheap, what should have costed her just over an hundred-thousand dollars she got for sixty-thousand, not too many people willingly want to live near a cemetery. Her ten acres of Clayton county over looks Hawkoak Cemetery butting up next to the plots reserved for the Clayton family tree.

It was a rainy Sunday morning as she stood on the porch blowing waves across her coffee. No one has ever been out to the place to landscape or visit with loved ones in over 80 years. It was strange to see a groomy figure standing there amongst the stone angels. Maybe her eyes were playing tricks on her sleep-worn mind.

The next day, after a few hours spent talking herself into going down the hill and across the old county road, she came to be standing over the headstone that read: REMINGTON. Looking at the marble slab, the one she watched the figure from before leave roses and a hand-writen note in an envelope addressed to Kate at, she asked herself "how odd". she thought, "it's so out of place", taking it all in.


 **


After hours spent behind the wheel Andrew finally walks into the house. He is greeted with two things: the photo of his great-great-grandfather's great-grandfather; the man who put the Remington name in the history books. The upper hall was filled with the men who built the empire; men who he wondered if they succeed where he fell. But, what kept him from coming in was the photo at the bottom of the double stairs that hung over the spot forwhich Kate would leave him letters. Notes that read: I love you, I hope your day is well, or something like that.


He walks to the cherry wood desk, to where the location of letters sent back and forth with each other rested, runs his fingers over the stain now stained with ash like dust. Opening the drawer he sees the last letter to him. With tear drowned eyes he reads her last words.


He writes a response and delivers it. But the rain was too heavy to leave the envelope addressed to Kate so he waits.


***

It has been a week since the first. He has made it official to deliver a letter to the woman he loved every morning.This time he feels like someone is watching him.


Down the drit road then a left onto Dryriver Road for two miles, a right down Forst Ave, a right through the gates of Widow Oaks to Dexter Dr. Pulling into the parking space he could not shake the feeling of being followed the whole time.


Across the street she parked a few houses down from the doctor's mannor-- Remington Estate. She set there reading the papers that held secrets she was never meant to know: letters addressed to Kate.


****

Dear Kate

Im sorry... I'm sorry that I couldn't make you better. Unlike the men in the photos, that line the upstairs hallway, I have fell at holding my kingdom... I couldn't keep you alive. I couldn't love you enough to give up the empire they built to get one more day with you. What kind of man am I for not taking your spot... Did I love you?


My Dearest Love

I built a fire in the fireplace in your favorite part of the house. I just wanted to feel you near. As the shadows danced around the corners of the room, bringing to life the photos, I thought of burning it all to the ground. Im faced with forgetting it all or living with ..... With... Out you. Living with it is living without you... It is not You. I should be thankful for the opportunity to have been able to make a long life with you. But....


Kate

The pillow still smells like your favorite shampoo.


She stopped reading when she heard the shots from the home that is a crypt for the gentleman who ends his letters signed Andrew. Rushing to the house she halts when a second round is sent out of the handgun. Through the window the photo of a male in military clothing looks back at her; smile not folding as bullets tare the painting.

*****

Dear Love

This is going to be the last time I write you. The next time you hear from me I will be there at your side. ....


The paragraphs hit her unlike the others. Over the last few months she has grown to know Kate and the love Andrew has for her. She has read ever love letter written to the love of his life. This one was more of a suicide note. She needs Andrew's love for Kate...


Down the drit road then a left onto Dryriver Road for two miles, a right down Forst Ave, a right through the gates of Widow Oaks to Dexter Dr and up to the steps of 133.


She had watched him long enough to know that he has never locked the windows in the study. In fact he kept them open-- just the way Mrs Remington always had them. That was her Haven.


Walking through the rooms she could see the things that were killing Mr Remington. The photos looked different close up.... The eyes seemed to be alive. The place was a casket... Kate was more than alive within the walls but Drew was --- buried alive, slowly being bled, getting chocked. She had to move quickly because Andrew would be home at any moment.


The envelope addressed to him laid where Kate would have put the ones she wrote. But she was not here to leave it. What was happening.


Dear Andrew.

I have read your letters. The love you have for Kate is like no other I have ever seen. I wish I could tell you face to face how she is still alive... She has become a part of me. I feel as if I have known her since the first day she came here. I know it is hard but you have to live with the lost; for you keep her alive.....


He reads the words, page after page, until the last word. The signing off : Be Well ❤️ KATHLEEN.


*******


Addressed to Kate

Dear Kathleen....

I loaded the gun, put the barrel in my mouth and pulled the trigger, and set there. I was surprised when the bullet did not pass through my brain. It took me a while to figure out that you removed the firing pin.

P.s I have a key under the statue so you don't have to break in.









May 23, 2021 05:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.