2 comments

Speculative Contemporary Suspense



A graceful landing was made by the presidential jet.


The plane personifying strength, power and importance touched down. Limos were waiting to transport the president and his party to their hideaway, which was only about an hour's drive away.



Joseph Frank Killarney was every bit a leader. At 6 feet 2 inches tall with a muscular physique, sculpted good looks, and teeth and hair that looked like they were plucked from a glossy magazine, he was undeniably the ideal person for these perilous times. And he had not yet turned 40.

"JFK," as he was lovingly dubbed by the media, knew he was about to make the most monumental decision of his life or the lives of any of his predecessors.

He descended the stairs to the tarmac. The waiting staff exchanged polite but subdued greetings with the President before he was escorted into the waiting beast of his vehicle. For the sake of security, he told his bodyguard to remain seated up front.


Once he realized he was alone, he called his wife Elizabeth on his cell phone. Several rings before she finally picked up:


"What's taking you so long to respond? Don't you know who I am and the importance of today?"  He shouted at his wife.



"Unfortunately, I was watching your 'well-behaved' kid and yes, I do know who you are," Elizabeth responded.

Since JFK's kids were entitled brats, he could tell that her response was tinged with sarcasm.

Without any more discussion, he cut the line after saying, "well after today's decision bring them on the stage and ensure they are behaved or else."

Because of the enormity he was about to decide, JFK didn't want his twin sons taking the limelight.


******


Meanwhile, in Rome the Holy Father led a prayer for the world in St. Peter's Square as the latest earthquake struck. Large portions of the global population had perished as a result of epidemics, famines, and other health disasters.

*******


As the president's car approached the summit of a fortified mountain retreat, it drove past rows of security guards.

After JFK arrived, he was whisked away to a private rooftop where all of the power players were waiting with bated breath in a huge auditorium.

A few minutes before the noontime cutoff, JFK would emerge from a side room and address the crowd in the vast hall.

Alan Burden, the vice president, was also waiting anxiously and said to JFK:


"I have a very serious question for you, Mr. President."


"Yes, yes. quickly, I have to make a choice soon..." "JFK snapped back impatiently. Just what a minion he was thought the President...thank goodness he will never, ever be my competitor!


The VP continued:


"My daughters have been crying themselves to sleep all night, and now they're waiting for you to make a decision. They are outside and beg you for the right choice."


 JFK signaled him to stop.


"There will be no input from anyone apart from me about this decision. Whether I press the green or red button in front of the world in a moment is only for me to decide based on my judgment.

Do you understand?"


Al realized he could persuade no further nor at all. He bowed his head as if he was in the presence of supreme royalty.

And he left the room to go and get his teenage daughters, who had stopped crying but were now wearing frantic expressions.

The VP and entourage entered the main auditorium, which was now completely packed, and joined the President's wife and family all sitting at the front row, with Elizabeth smiling despite the gravity of the occasion.


In front of the huge audience was an enormous, elevated stage and a single table dominating it. On this table were two different colored buttons, one green and one red. On a giant screen above the stage the significance of each button was clearly displayed.



********


Back at St. Peter's Square, the Pope asked rhetorically:


"The Lord asks if you care that thousands of people worldwide die every minute?"


*********


All eyes and ears were on the President as he entered the room. He stood behind the table, staring down at the green or red button, with the big audience following each and every move.

Children's cries were mixed with the sound of heavy breathing.

Without uttering a word, he raised his arm as high as he could go. He knew that the fate of his world depended on whether he pushed green or red.



It was a slow, commanding lift of the arm. He then made a pointed downward gesture with his index finger.

He paused it for dramatic effect.


In case of emergency, media outlets around the world broadcasted the event live but with a 2-minute delay in case of disaster.


A slow motion descent of the President's hand began, and the crowd rose to its feet in eager yet fearful anticipation.


Which button would he press.... the green one.... or the red one.... green or red....green or red....



*********


The Holy Father still addressing the great swell or people in St. Peter's Square, and he pleaded louder to his praying congregation:


"I have to ask again, does anyone really care? Is it possible to save humanity?"


**********


The time had come, and JFK's finger was now ready to push the button. Yet what should have been a fraction of a second felt like an eternity.


As his finger touched down.....

it was......


it was ............the green button!


The crowd was silent and stunned for a single moment before erupting in wild cheers.

Lots of applause and screeches of elation. Many people were patting and saluting JFK as he lapped up the adulation.

The VP's girls were ecstatic.

This time tears of joy rolled down their faces!

They'll never forget this incredible experience.


The gigantic screen showed an enormous photo of Taylor Swift as green, while the red showed Adele.

Ironically, the album "Saving Humanity," was now selected as the winner by Universal City Prime Records' president, JFK.

As leader of this record company its' new constitution gave him JFK sole discretion to decide who would win album of the year.


                    *********

But back in Rome, the massive crowd was focused on something about humanity they considered much more crucial.


But then again:

Was it really?

And who does truly care?


February 08, 2023 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kathryn Kahn
16:24 Feb 13, 2023

Fun story with a twist at the end. The tone is appropriate to what is essentially a didactic story -- sort of removed, like the telling of a myth or legend.

Reply

Robert Radcliff
00:47 Feb 14, 2023

I appreciate the comment. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.