The Homecoming

Written in response to: Write a story about someone finding acceptance.... view prompt

40 comments

Inspirational Sad Contemporary

21 June 2024


Dear Mr. Kettering,


You were right, after all. Despite the soliloquy I declared in front of you after my graduation ceremony two decades ago, the one where I used such choice adverbs such as “never” and “begrudgingly”, your little bit of ribbing predicted me grabbing my suitcase and filling it with the most superlative of my clothing in my closet. It’s true: I, Nellie Perkins-Todd, am flying off from London for a two-week visit to Homer, Louisiana. Technically, you could say that I’m coming home, much like Odysseus did in the epic. However, you know very well that….


Oh, I could hear your booming voice reverberating around the classroom walls already, make out your hearty chuckle thump as loudly as the bass drum from a marching band. What can I say? If there’s anyone who can summon me back to the tiny, sleepy hamlet I spent my adolescence in, Agamemnon to the Greek army, it’s you, only you. Just so you know, you’re the teacher whose fond memories of I’ve always carried with me and who I will always reminisce about even as time and the future march on, always progressive.


I can even recall your favorite verb. Oh, you know which one. Of all the words for action, there has only been one which you have uttered to generations upon generations of bleary-eyed pupils, that particular locution that may as well be the prefix of every single sentence you proclaim in front of the blackboard. Yes, I still remember you asking us all to, well, remember.


Oh, you’re laughing again, aren’t you? Yes, Mr. Kettering, your little edicts of “Remember to consider the motivation of the antagonist”, “Remember not to misplace your modifiers,” and “Remember me after getting your diploma” have always been as indelible in my mind as ink on paper. Even these days, as I sit behind a news desk on the other shore of the Atlantic waiting for the cameras to roll, I still beam whenever I remember these admonitions. Just before I address a nation I wasn’t born in, --- a much easier endeavor than standing before the mocking faces of classmates and giving a speech, by the way --- it is these little invitations to retain all you’ve taught that rings in my head like a bell.


So now, I ask you, my favorite instructor, the one I always allude to when people want to know who has been my Mentor, to, as the idiom says, practice what you preach. If it’s okay with you, I’d like you to remember along with me.


Remember how afraid I was when I first walked through the doors of Room 301. I had just moved to Homer, my Coke bottle glasses, New York accent, and father that walked out the door to be with his colleague making everything I was dissonant with the simple, very religious fabric of the community. I could tell from the way the entire student body jeered at me when I passed by in the hallways and broke my spectacles that everyone saw me as simply compounding the perfect present state of the school hierarchy. However, when you asked me to stay behind after the period was over, all you did was try to get to know me, pose questions that were friendly and not interrogative. You told me to remember how delightful it was that you were teaching me. For the first time in a while, I fully believed it.


Remember how brightly you smiled when you handed me back my first essay as your pupil. We had been discussing “The Odyssey” then, and I wrote an impassioned piece about Penelope’s fidelity to her husband. I must admit that whilst I was composing that paper, I felt as if I were inscribing my magnum opus. Well, perhaps, that passion personified itself and bellowed from the page because the next thing I knew, you’d asked me to stay behind, closed the door, and practically spouted out an ode to my assignment. You had no idea then, but inside me, I sensed a nugget of pride rise in me, as if I were a hero being lauded in the streets of Ithaca. You told me to remember to keep writing, to hone my craft so I too could create something epic. For the first time in a while, I fully believed in me.


Remember when you found my tears flowing from my eyes like the Mediterranean’s waves as I sat trembling in the library. Just fifteen minutes before, the popular clique had just surrounded me in the hallway, tore the legal sheet bearing a poem I wrote, and taunted me about my father starting a new family with the woman he left my mother for --- my Achilles’ heel topic of conversation. If I recall correctly, you were only supposed to return a copy of Strunk and White’s “The Elements of Style” to the shelves and return to the faculty lounge. You were compelled to sit down and listen to me, however, chose not to be passive in the face of someone actively crying. You told me to remember how emphatic you were that one day, all the discourse I’d receive is lauds; you asked me to let the praises soak in me like pigment on papyrus. For the first time in a while, I fully believed in them.


Remember when you celebrated with me when I found out I got into Cambridge’s competitive English Honors program, the very same degree that you went on an entire odyssey for me to get application forms for. I’d actually gotten the letter from England in my apartment’s mailbox, but I wanted you to join me in opening the correspondence that would dictate my futur proche. “Admitted”, it was just one adjective to modify me, and yet, all the hyperboles could not encapsulate the intensity of the elation bubbling out of me…of you. You hugged me and declared that I was now the protagonist of my own story. You reassured me that you had no doubt that the dénouement of the novel of my life would be full of promise. You told me, though, to remember how much you will miss me once I’m in the UK. For the first time in a while, I fully believed in someone: you.


Most of all, Mr. Kettering, I want you to remember how much I love you and I’ve never once let the mark of your inspiration in my heart be blotted away. I want you to fully believe me when I say that.


I’ll see you as soon as I arrive in town. Andrew can’t wait to say hello to you again; it’s been a while since you came to our wedding three years ago, after all. Oh, and yes, just so you know, I am bringing a copy of “The Odyssey” for me to read on the plane. I’m sure you would be pleased with that.


Always grateful to her Mentor,

Nellie

***

I fold the letter I’d just recently penned --- the one I want him to read in .... --- and put it in a pristine white envelope, which I place in a hard plastic case inside my suitcase. As my thoughts cycle like a whirlpool on a wine-dark sea, I sense a flood of tears escaping from my eyes.


“Sweetheart, it’s okay,” Andrew coos, his muscular arms, warm voice, and Received Pronunciation accent enveloping me. “You’re safe with me.”


He rubs my delicate hand in circles as we both glance down a tear-stained copy of The Guardian-Journal. On the page are words that plunged an invisible sword into my heart since I first saw it over breakfast yesterday.


In loving memory of


Robin James Kettering

May 5, 1957- June 18, 2024

“There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.”


Funeral service will be performed at the First Baptist Church in Homer, Louisiana on June 24, 2024


My eyes dance away from the newsprint as every single memory I’ve kept of the instructor that rewrote my future swirls in my head. Of all the things that are difficult to do right now, it’s remem…


“I brought you a coffee, sweetheart. Maybe, that would help,” my husband states, setting my favorite cup in front of me. Instantly, I feel a thousand ships of gratitude launch in my heart.


“You know something?”


“What’s that, sweetheart?”


“At least, Mr. Kettering got to know you. At least, he knows I’ve found a home.”

June 19, 2024 12:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

McKade Kerr
03:47 Jun 29, 2024

As always, your story was a joy to read. I love that you draw emotion and themes from your life (I saw in some comments that this was based on a real person and some real events). It makes all your stories so good!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:56 Jun 29, 2024

Hi, McKade ! Thank you so much for always reading my stories, as well as commenting. Yes, indeed, this was based on a real-life English teacher I had. I'm so happy I was able to capture those emotions into my story ! Happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:25 Jun 25, 2024

Beautifully written, Alexis! I wasn’t expecting that ending. The When I was in high school, I did great with English and writing but wasn’t so good at math… until I had Mr. Leone for 10th grade geometry. He taught differently and for the first time I was getting As in my math class. I always thought of him as the best teacher I ever had. He was also full of life advice. He had such a big heart and he was also hilarious. Everyone loved him. A few years ago, I had seen on Facebook that he had passed away. One of his students became a nurse and...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:15 Jun 26, 2024

Hi, Tirzah ! I'm so happy you liked this story. Like I mentioned in other comments, this story was inspired by a real-life Mr. Kettering, who I recently got back in contact with after 22 years. Some details here are actually things Mr. Vega did for me. I truly am grateful for him, so this was the first idea that came to mind when I saw acceptance. As for the ending, well, the theme was the stages of grief, so I thought that would be a good twist. Thank you for reading and sharing your story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:17 Jun 25, 2024

In awe of the intelligence of this, rather reminds me of my high school classics teacher who everyone loved and respected, and who died in recent years with so many of his former pupils attending the funeral.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:28 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Carol ! I'm happy to say that my real-life Mr. Kettering is still alive, and I was able to reconnect with him very recently. But yes, sometimes, teachers never know how much they've changed their pupils' lives. Glad you liked the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
21:30 Jun 23, 2024

Beautiful. To have someone like that in your life.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:21 Jun 24, 2024

Precisely that ! Well, Mr. Kettering is actually based on a secondary school teacher I had...one who I recently got in contact with because of this story and well, my lovely partner. So, I actually do in real life. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Maynard
21:14 Jun 20, 2024

What a wonderfully written tragic story. I love this format and I especially love the twist, although this twist also twisted my gut in sympathy. This is a roller coaster of emotions, actually just one long climb to the top and a sudden drop at the end. Not much of a roller coaster ride, but an amazing and wonderful story. Your ability to weave together personal anecdotes with growth and resilience makes this piece standout. Well done, Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:12 Jun 21, 2024

Hi, Martin ! I'm happy you liked the story. Precisely that, I wanted to give the story a twist, and since the theme for this week's competition is The Stages of Grief, I went for it. I'm happy both the twist and the heartstrings pull worked. Thanks for reading, Martin !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
15:39 Jun 20, 2024

A sweet letter to a profound influence. Sad in that she didn't sent the letter when he was alive. This is something we all do, take for granted that all the people who are important to us will be around forever, waiting for us to let them know their meaning to us. Thanks for this story to remind us to tell the significant people in our lives their impact on us. Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:13 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Marty ! Actually, the idea I was implying was that Nellie wrote the letter as one last correspondence to her favourite teacher to bury along with him, but perhaps, I should have been clearer with that. Since I can't submit this, perhaps, I could incorporate an allusion to that in the story. But it is true. If someone has indeed touched us, we should let them know. So happy you liked this story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:31 Jun 20, 2024

Oh dear. She won't see him again. An unfortunate twist. Her mentor died. This is so heartfelt and loving. But she is happy knowing that before he died he was not wondering about her life. He knew. Lovely story. One wee point you may want to change.' grabbing my suitcases and filling it' (only one suitcase)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:48 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Again, thank you for reading. I thought that because the theme was the Five Stages of Grief, and I wanted a twist to this story, I'd make one where the protagonist writes to her teacher before flying off for his funeral. Precisely that. At least, Mr. Kettering and Nellie still kept in touch; he even got to know her Andrew. I...sort of wish I could do that with my real life Mr. Kettering. But alas. Thanks for the correction, by the way ! Always appreciate your support !

Reply

22:40 Jun 20, 2024

I was just thinking about a possible story the other day. But to write it with the happier ending it never had. It's therapeutic to do that. We wish. Life is full of wishing we'd said or done the right things at the right times. We can perfect it in our writing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:02 Jun 21, 2024

Well, that's true. However, sometimes, even in real life, happy endings happen. I do like it when that's the case.

Reply

02:11 Jun 21, 2024

Most of my stories have happy endings, or the hint of, because I love happy endings too. Most of my Reedsy Stories have happy endings. I also like to write stories with great premises and a wholesome story line. Depends on the imagined plot. And the prompt. I love Kristi Gott's stories. I once killed off a main character early on (not a Reedsy story) and shocked a reader terribly. It was in line with his character, plausible, and the plot could not have worked in the end if he hadn't exited the scene for good. And, of course, we all kill ou...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
20:09 Jun 19, 2024

Wow, Alexis! This was a very touching story! The word choices you used are incredible and fit well. I really liked how you started this in the form of a letter and then pull back the curtain! The title also fits nicely! I think this story is a good reminder to remember the ones who made a difference in our lives. Teachers are often overlooked, yet, they make such an impact. Like the bullying in this story and how he was able to help her overcome that. Sometimes all we need is someone to believe in us, so that we can believe in ourselves....

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:52 Jun 20, 2024

You truly are the sweetest, Daniel ! Once again, thank you for your continuous support of my writing. I always look forward to your comments. I just started with the idea of a teacher helping out a bullied student with nothing to her name achieve her potential --- a story that is very familiar to me, and everything just kind of built from there. Because of the homecoming theme, I thought of The Odyssey, and then, I found that there was an actual small town in America named after Homer. I'm happy it all worked. Like I mentioned in another...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:24 Jun 20, 2024

You're welcome!! I always love diving into your stories. Each and every week you put out something truly amazing! I hear ya on teachers. I had a special teacher when I was in Elementary school, his name was Jim Tripplet and he helped me with reading. I had trouble following the lines, so I didn't want to want to read out of frustration. He taught me a trick that really helped me and now I actually write stories!! Who knows what would have happened if he didn't have the patience to work with me!!! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:19 Jun 21, 2024

You are absolutely sweet ! Thank you ! And yes, I saw the same name in your MAGICALLY GOOD story this week. In a way, we're all grateful to him because you always come up with fresh, creative stories. Amazing work !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:02 Jun 19, 2024

The literary references, vocabulary and details, plot arc and emotion, are all written so very, very beautifully. Sorry this is not in the competition this week. I read your note below. Very inspiring story and it is so true that a good teacher or someone who understands, encourages and praises makes all the difference for us in life and in our writing. We need the sunshine and waters of those people who nurture us so we keep growing and flowering. I believe they are in the next life but still there with us in a way, never gone, and we w...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:01 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Kristi ! Well, guess who let her grammar and literature nerd self go wild with this piece ?! Hahahaha ! I truly had fun writing this, and I'm happy it came out in the story. As Trudy mentioned, no one is truly self-made. I owe so much to the people who have always believed in me. Let's just say some details here came naturally to me, but I'm very grateful for teachers who were able to encourage me when everything felt dark. I love the way you put it, though. Like I said, it is a bit frustrating not being able to enter, but there's alw...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:14 Jun 19, 2024

Great story, Great eulogy to a great tutor. Few of us are truly self-made, if any. I would behoove us all to remember those who taught us. Well done, Alexis.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:29 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Trudy ! I'm happy you liked the story. When I saw the prompt, I thought of my real-life Mr. Kettering (who's still alive, thank you). Indeed, all of us were changed for the better by others along the way. It's always lovely to remember them. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
18:30 Jun 19, 2024

touching, and nicely structured.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:26 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you, Vid !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:51 Jun 19, 2024

Nice tribute.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:54 Jun 19, 2024

Thank you, Mary ! Happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:40 Jun 19, 2024

I lovely story about acceptance! I enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:41 Jun 19, 2024

Thank you so very much ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:59 Jun 19, 2024

Hi, everyone ! So, for the next two weeks (until the first week of July), I actually can't enter the competition. The debit card I use to enter the contest is about to expire, so I had to have it replaced. Unfortunately, there's a two-week wait for the new card since it's 1. attached to the payroll account of my day job, and 2. registered with a bank branch a bit far from where I am. I will be back and submitting as soon as I have the new card, worry not ! Just letting you know ? Hahaha !

Reply

Kristi Gott
19:58 Jun 19, 2024

Sorry to hear that and best wishes!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:33 Jun 20, 2024

Thanks, Kristi ! It's a bit frustrating not being able to enter, I must admit. At least, I get to save money for two weeks ?! Hahaha !

Reply

Kristi Gott
02:38 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you for sharing your wonderful writing with us all anyway. We all enjoy your stories so much!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:54 Jun 20, 2024

Oh, Kristi ! How kind of you ! Thank you so much ! I love your stories too !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:47 Jun 22, 2024

Surely you can buy a master card or visa at any supermarket. Don't leave us without Stellaxis, or Alex-Ells for two weeks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:05 Jun 22, 2024

Hahahaha ! I will still write this week (or attempt to, in case I get busy), but not as a submission.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jim LaFleur
17:51 Jun 24, 2024

A poignant reminder of the importance of expressing gratitude to those who shape our lives. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:56 Jun 24, 2024

Precisely that, Jim ! Like Nellie, I kind of had to do so recently too. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading. I'm happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.