0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

The sun was about to rise. Its soft golden light had already bid farewell to the night and declared another day to begin. Some small birds were chirping from their nests. Chickens became restless to come out from the coops. Women in the village already got busy preparing the food since their husbands would go to the paddy fields and their children would attend school. Sonapur has only one school. During monsoon, sometimes this school becomes the emergency shelter for them.

Throughout the night, Asma couldn’t sleep, and her pillow was soaked with tears. She felt her entire life suddenly turned upside down. It was as if all her dreams had ended. Bleak and empty. She fought with her parents and her dearest elder sister. Nonetheless, all of this was for nothing. They said, “We agreed. There is no going back”.

Sonapur is a densely populated village, mostly poor farmers. Nothing is charming about their lives. Boys grow into men and become farmers. Girls are born to look after the house from infancy, never realising what it is like to be a child. Though, nowadays, a few of them are going to school. Floods and cyclones visit them very often. They destroy their grains, break down their houses and wash away their hope to live. But, the people of Sonapur rise again since they are no unexpected calamities.

But there is another threat waiting for many of them, though not all. Yesterday, when Asma returned from school, she saw a few unknown faces sitting at the main entrance of their house. Asma didn’t bother them much. But when she saw her eldest sister rushing out from one corner of the backyard and leading her hurriedly to the house, Asma got terrified.

“What’s wrong? What happened? Why are you looking so tensed?” Asma was shaking out of fear; Julekha looked nervous and hesitated.

“Amma (mom) didn’t tell you anything? You weren’t supposed to go to school today. You look tired and pale. Go, freshen up and have some food. Quick!” Julekha’s whispers made Asma even more alarming.

“Just tell me what is going on!” shouted Asma. Her cousin Nilu came and held her hand and took her into their room. Nilu looked upset, her eyes were red, and when she started talking, she just broke into tears.

“Those people have come to see us”, Nilu said. “You & Me. They are groom-side people”.

“No, no, no … … it can’t be true”, Asma said. “I’m not going to get married. Neither you. We are just children, too young to be married!”

Julekha entered the room. She started with a soft voice, “Listen, Asma & Nilu. You will get married one day anyways, right? Think wisely. They are good people with wealth. They are not even asking for any dowry! All they want is two good-looking decent girls for their boys. Do you know, both of them are working abroad and earning huge! You guys will have good food and clothes! Who knows, they might take you with them someday. Isn’t it great luck!”

“No, it never happens, Julekha apu (big sister)! Never!” Asma was sobbing and said. “They marry and leave their wives alone among their families to let them suffer. They don’t even return within four or five years. And --- and --- Why don’t they look for someone mature enough to get married? Why us? Who gets married at fourteen? Just look at you! Are you enjoying your life? You look too old for your age because of the domestic pressure you went through. Why don’t you understand!? I want to study more. Nilu too. We --- we --- will study hard, and we will earn money! We will buy good food and clothes for ourselves --- for everyone in the family --- Please spare us! Where is amma (mother)? Where is abba (father)?

Immediately afterwards, Asma’s mother and her aunt (Nilu’s mother) came and asked Asma and Nilu to get ready as the guests wanted to meet them. They warned them to behave gentle, especially to Asma. They saw no hope. Silence engulfed Nilu as if she existed nowhere. Last year, the same reason led Shefali and Kulsum to drop out of school. Three months after their wedding, when they visited Sonapur, Shefali looked like a human skeleton, and Kulsum desperately tried to hide her growing baby bump. That child was not ready for another child to give birth.

In silent prayer, both Asma and Nilu begged not to be selected. But God Almighty had a different plan. Once the guests left, Asma raised her voice again. It was just like her, as usual, so nobody was surprised. She always had her point of view, opinions, decisions and dreams. The whole village comprehended her as a stubborn girl.

But this case is different. It is the custom of that village: The girls must accept their family’s decision when it’s about marriage. Asma cried a lot, didn’t take food and stopped talking to everybody. Neither she nor Nilu much cared. Even Nilu, who never raised her voice, did not receive a piece of affection from them. Following the pact, she didn’t say a single word and didn’t drink a drop of water. So, what!? They know time will settle everything.

Nilu is the obedient child in the family who talks less and follows more. The turmoil in her mind is as silent as her. She felt restless whenever she thought about Shefali and Kulsum. She feared to picture them in the same way. Nilu washed her face and packed her school bag. Asma fell asleep as the day grew mature and weary. Seeing her in bottomless sleep, her mother peered into her room and sighed. Poor child, I wish you were never born as a poor girl. In the next second, she controlled her emotion. A poor mother can't be too soft-hearted! A poor father has no choice but to accept this offer!

“Open the door! We are from the police station”, said the constable. Asma’s parents, Nilu’s mother and Julekha opened the door quickly. The women were trembling out of fear. There were a few police in the yard. The Sub-Inspector closely observed them and gently said, “Can I sit here and talk to you?” Asma’s father moved like a robot, giving him a stool to sit on and staring at him with fear. The officer began, “Don’t you know marriage under eighteen is illegal?”

They were surprised. Not a single soul knows about the marriage proposals except for them. They kept it a secret from everybody! The officer again spoke, “Well, child marriage only causes damage to a girl. There is no positive outcome of it. Do you want to see your children be happy or get rid of them by engaging them married to a so-called wealthy family where they become lifetime prisoners? What kind of trade is this, where you exchange your relief with your daughters’ whole life?”

Asma’s father replied timidly, “What else can we do, sir? We are born poor, and we die poor. When it comes to the marriage of our girls, we get completely ruined. We can’t afford a dowry.”

“Did you ever visit your children’s school? Any hospital? The officer asked.

“Yes. But why are you asking that, sir?” Nilu’s bewildered mother asked.

“Well, did you see any female teacher in the school or any lady doctor in a hospital?”

“Yes. Nilu’s class teacher is a female”, she answered in a low but curious voice.

“Dr Tahmina is the one to whom I often take my baby girl”, said Julekha.

The officer smiled and said, “I didn’t know that the female teacher belongs to a farmer’s family and the doctor’s father was a rickshaw puller until this morning.” Then he looked at the constable and ordered him something in a low voice. The constable went away. Suddenly there was a silence. No talk, only the rattle sound of the dry leaves stored at a corner where the little chicks were stepping on them and poking there to find some insects to eat.

“Such a nice yard! Clean and wide. It’s reminding me of my father’s house,” said a gentle-looking young lady. Nilu’s mother immediately recognized her. It’s Ms Sufia, Nilu’s class teacher! But who is next to her!? Nilu!!!

After packing the school bag, Nilu rushed to the school. She never felt her school is too far. She was trembling on her every single step. She could hear her heart beating like a frantic drummer. She was afraid to be read by others. When she entered her class, it had already begun. She desperately looked at her class teacher Ms Sufia. Ms Sufia knows this expression very well.

“We must do something. It’s not the first time I heard such a thing. The only difference is that this time I got this information beforehand. But make sure we must not put the child into trouble and will treat the parents with respect. We can’t ignore their helplessness,” said Ms Sufia to the police officer of the local police station. He understood. Meanwhile, Nilu almost pulled herself back.

Nilu’s mother spoke first. Nervously she said, “Ms Sufia, I never expected you to be here! Is that my daughter who brought you here?” Ms Sufia smiled, “Yes. She hoped I would be able to change your mind about their marriage. Let me tell you exactly what she told me, “Please pay a visit to our family. Talk to them. They will listen to you. You are a daughter of a poor farmer, and so are Asma and I. If you can become a school teacher, why can’t we? If you can rise from ashes, why can’t we? And, it’s not only about us, about all our poor friends. Our parents are afraid of our future, but we can’t accept the defeat before we give it a chance. You are a living example. Please share your story with them as we can stand for ourselves.” Ms Sufia added with a broad smile, “I never knew, Nilu, who hardly speaks, rarely fights back, can speak so brave! She held my hand and led me to the police station. Her intention was never making you feel low but to make you feel brave.”

Slowly the yard became crowded with other villagers as they hardly find any policemen in the village. And, the reason also was spreading out. Nilu saw a great opportunity. She requested the police officer to announce that, whoever will arrange under eighteen marriages, must be punished. It will save the poor girls from this evil practice.

As the crowd grew big, Asma woke up hearing the noise. She saw nobody inside the house. She went outside and was surprised to see many people in their yard. Nilu dashed to her with great joy, embraced her and whispered in her ears, “Our marriage is over.” It took a few minutes for Asma to understand the whole thing. But, when she got it, she held Nilu tightly and said with pride, “Nilu, I am so proud of you, my sister. You have saved us. You don’t speak much, but finally, when you spoke, the whole village heard it.” They laughed together.

July 07, 2022 14:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.