15 comments

Romance Contemporary Teens & Young Adult

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I can’t trust my own thoughts, but they’re sometimes my safest places to run to… only sometimes.

* * *

“Hi bro. How are you today?”

“Eh… I’m tired. I woke up tired. I didn’t even do that much today,” Thomas replied.

Dumb lazyass… how could you lay around and complain about your day?

“What’d you say, Drew?”

“I said don’t sweat it. We all have days like that. It’s okay to have a chill day and still be draggin.”

“You’re probably right.”

“I know I am, Thomas. Chin up. Mom says she loves you and will see you later this week. I’ll try to pop by again this week too. Definitely by next.”

* * *

As Drew left his brother for the day, Thomas plastered his notable, slightly discomforting fake smile, hoping he’d appear as “together” as possible. Of course, his family knew better. His friends too. Everyone who knows Thomas for more than a week knows better. He’s not unlikeable, but he’s definitely got issues. Mostly, he hears a lot that isn’t said, and it has created mostly long, imaginary bridges between him and many people who could potentially be his friends.

As Thomas determined he’d at least take a walk around the center, he used way too much mental energy listening to whispers from other patients, trying to decipher truth and reality from his misconstrued mind translating what he heard (or imagined).

“Hi Thomas! Good to see your smiling face today. How was time with Drew today?”

Thomas is always whining when Drew comes in… He’s by far the most unhinged one here…

Thomas decided the safest choice was to continue fake smiling and nodding in the general direction of those speaking to him, and to not speak back, just in case they didn’t say what he thought he heard. The downfall, though, was their faces turned to the friendly confused look he was used to. Even people there for their own messed up reasons seemed to feel bad for him. He clearly still couldn’t filter things accurately. The staff are better at hiding their true feelings about everyone, even though they’re mostly nice. It’s the fake nice they have to be to maintain professionalism and not take things too personally.

* * *

(a few days later)

“Sweet Tommy, I so missed you!” 

“It’s only been a little over a week, mom…”

In truth, Thomas didn’t mind his mom still doting on him, even as he’s well into his twenties.

“I know, Tommy, but I’m your mom and I can miss you. I miss you every day.”

It was you who wanted me to come in here full-time… I could’ve stayed at home with you guys.

“I miss you all the time, mom.”

Look at Thomas, mama’s boy. It’s so gross how much he clings to his mom. He’s always in the way, and so are his guests…

“Shut up! All of you!”

“Tommy, calm yourself, honey. Nobody said anything. You’re okay,” she said, caressing his back.

She didn’t always have much else to say in these situations. It could’ve been better, but it could’ve been worse. 

* * *

(the next day)

“Time for outside recreation, everyone!” 

Of all the routine things that happened each day and week here, getting outside for some team games wasn’t the worst of things. The worst of things were medications that had to be taken that were meant to help everyone’s conditions. Maybe they did. Some days, Thomas felt no different. But was his state of pseudo-normalcy actual improvement, or was it just existing in a mediocre state of numbness to intense feelings? Sometimes he was calm, but he’s still not sharp enough to discern social nuances nor is he able to think clearly most of the time. Maybe he would, in fact, be worse off without the meds. 

“Yo, T, you wanna be on defense or offense?”

Thomas, get off the field, man. Everything about you is offensive. 

Thomas stood there, not speaking, wondering what was said. Almost everything he hears is distorted. Friendly voices, spiky words. But those words aren’t real, are they? 

“Huh?” Thomas asked. 

“Defense or offense?”

“Oh… defense is good.” Thomas could defend a ball like nothing else, but he could barely defend his mind. Good thing these guys usually still got along with him, invited him to play, and cared enough to be patient with him.

* * *

(a few days later)

Cynthia is the silent, girl-next-door type. She wears vibrant graphic tees, a variety of hats, and only arrived a few weeks ago. It was only about 3 days ago Thomas noticed her. He’s been in his own world. It was actually her seclusive nature that ironically drew his eye. 

* * *

(a few days ago)

Did you hear about Thomas…?

“What?! What did you hear about me, huh?! Tell me to my face!” By the time Thomas realized he was having an episode because of those familiar looks of confusion, he scanned the room and saw her… well, her cheek. She had a book in her hand, and didn’t even look at him flipping out. He wanted to hide away, but his room felt too close to the embarrassing scene. He decided on sitting on the bench outside near the south exit to the field. He figured everyone’s used to him by now and by dinner things will have blown over.

* * *

(later that day)

Over a plate of mashed potatoes, fried chicken, and warm carrots, Thomas sat in silence, seeing his food more than eating it. His carrots moved with the stroke of his fork as his lack of thoughts left him exhausted but relieved for the silence…until…

“H-h-hey, Thomas.” It was Cynthia. Her cheek was rosy, her shirt loud with color, and her hat covering her short wavy hair, golden in the sunlight peeking through the cracked window. It was the first time he heard her voice.

Thomas gaped at her, wordless, riveted on the inside, but likely looking catatonic on the outside.

“Can I sit?” she asked, apparently not put off.

As if he was snapped out of it, he said “of course!”

“So… how are you?”

Thomas, I love you so much. You are the most exquisite, strong, brave man I’ve ever met.

“I’m pretty good.” It was almost as if he knew immediately that her inquiring how he was doing meant more than just the basic question it was. I mean, he could see that she wasn’t showering him with committed love, per se, but that she was interested in him. He could see through the clouds of imagined remarks and still he wasn’t disappointed. She actually seemed to care about him, even a little bit. As he told her his response, he felt her hand touch the top of his for a long moment as she said, “Pretty good is nice. You think I could have some of those c-c-carrots?”

* * *

(two days later)

“Drew… don’t tell anyone, but I think I may like someone. She’s got the best smile, not forced, ya know? She listens a lot. She touches my hand when I feel agitated or nervous. All the time actually. Nothing she says - or I think she says - ever hurts or is harsh.”

“Dang, Thomas, you’ve got hit hard! My lips are sealed.”

“H-h-hey Thomas,” Cynthia said shyly, passing by them both.

“Is that her, bro? Mega cutie.”

* * *

(the next morning) 

“Thomas, you see Cynthia today?” someone said with genuine curiosity. 

Thomas is creeping on Cynthia, the new girl. 

“Shut up… Cynthia is a friend and likes my company!”

“Geez, I know. I’m sorry. I was just asking if you saw her… cool it, okay?”

“I’m sorry… I was mistaken.”

“It’s okay, Thomas. No worries.”

* * *

“T-T-Thomas, good to see you,” Cynthia said a couple hours later. Her presence was a welcome reprieve from the toil he put himself through after wondering if he was actually creeping on her lately. 

“Good to see you too, Cynthia. Wanna sit?”

“I definitely do. How was your visit with D-D-Drew?"

I love you, Thomas.

* * *

About me, the author: my own sister has schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and explosive anger. Having lived with her in the past for some difficult years when we lived at home with our parents, it influenced some of how I wrote this story. I’m not an expert in any of these mental disorders, and this is only loosely based on her. It’s not to be taken as anything other than the creative influence it was. The main character never specifies (or has specified) which disorder he battles. That’s purposeful, mostly because I don’t want to narrow the reach or dampen the potency too much, nor try to act like I understand any one disorder well enough to claim one. I appreciate you taking the time to read this! (P.S. for clarity, the bold italics are his thoughts or what he thinks is being said, “italics in quotes” are what he says, and everything else is what’s actually said/done. Hopefully it was understandable!)

May 27, 2023 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Zatoichi Mifune
07:02 Jun 04, 2023

This story is amazing. Plain amazing. It's so sad, is that what it's really like? I loved the writing style, and the way you tracked his thoughts and what he thought people said, along with (sometimes) what they really said. It was a really interesting read, I look forward to your next story!

Reply

Sarah Martyn
15:52 Jun 04, 2023

Thank you so much! As for your question, it's what I think it's like for my sister who has schizophrenia. I was on the receiving end only, so I don't know from my own mind if it's exact.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
21:45 Jun 03, 2023

I loved this story. You did such a good job of describing mental ailments through your character's conversation. Love how you used stream of consciousness and abrupt changes of thoughts. very effective! Appreciate your personal comments.

Reply

Sarah Martyn
15:48 Jun 04, 2023

High praise! Thank you. Not an easy task.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:24 May 27, 2023

First I was wondering why Thomas was in an institution. Then realized it was his thinking(in italics) that was out of tune. I hope Cynthia caring about him will be therapeutic for him.

Reply

Sarah Martyn
17:42 Jun 03, 2023

I hope so too! I feel like I could definitely continue this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Martyn
04:33 May 27, 2023

In my story above, I talk of bold italics, and for some reason the editor allows for bold formatting but when posted it goes away. Either way, I formatted each interaction as either a thought, Thomas speaking, or someone else speaking/doing something. I value your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Baevinn Bosworth
14:56 Aug 24, 2023

dude what the actual heck. im obsessed with this! this was amazing! it was sad, scary, worrying, romance. i love it is really sad to know your sister has it i hope she is better now :) even tho she still has it. its scary to know that this happens to people but you did excellence!

Reply

Sarah Martyn
21:58 Aug 24, 2023

High praise! What encouraging words. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
05:53 Jun 09, 2023

I thought this was nicely done, and a creative way to express the mental health struggles Thomas was dealing with. Something about Thomas garnered my sympathy right away! Even knowing he was in an institution for what I assume are auditory hallucinations, I found myself wanting to believe that Thomas really could hear what others were saying in their minds. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know that schizophrenia is a reality for many, and I think you captured well how that condition could potentially manifest in someone’s ...

Reply

Sarah Martyn
18:42 Jun 09, 2023

Love the thoughtful response, Anna!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
22:19 Jun 03, 2023

Once I understood how it was supposed to be read, I do think the story is good and comes across well. At first, I was going to comment about the back and forth/several little changing scenes were a bit hard to follow, but it looks like you did it on purpose. :) A couple suggestions to help improve your writing despite the style. Watch out for run-on sentences and heavy use of adverbs. I use Hemingway App (free in-browser editor) to help me with these same things. Sometimes I feel like it can take away from the flow I’m going for, so I u...

Reply

Sarah Martyn
15:50 Jun 04, 2023

Duly noted! Helpful to have in the back pocket. While I'm aware of the run-ons I gravitate toward, the adverbs thing is new to me as a potential distraction. I appreciate the input!

Reply

J. D. Lair
16:32 Jun 04, 2023

For some, it is just a style thing (run-ons) and it can work when used sparingly and structured well. I do not feel yours were all that distracting in the story, especially given the content and stream of consciousness you were going for. As for the adverbs, I only know that tip because someone pointed out my guilt of it one time. 😝

Reply

Sarah Martyn
18:04 Jun 04, 2023

Always love sharpening my skills!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.