A broken friendship.

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

1 comment

Kids

This story isn't a normal friendship story. This story caused pain to a very strong girl that was there for everyone. Ally narrates this story because it happened to her. It was between her and her elementary and middle school best friend, ex-best friend. The day you just ghosted me, really hurt me. You made it seem like it was my fault. I am still confused about what exactly happened to us to this day. We have been friends since kinder. We went to middle school and elementary school together. The day after our eighth-grade graduation, I didn’t see what was going to happen to our friendship in the future. Days after graduation, we talked.

“ I feel like everyone separated and lost touch.”

“ Yeah, we all lost touch”

“ We should hang out soon!”

“ Yeah we should, let me know when”

We then made plans to hang out. You were excited, you sounded excited. I thought you were excited. I mean we were best friends since kinder. We both were excited to see each other since we haven’t seen each other in months. 

The day finally came when we’re going to see each other but then something unexpected happened. My mom got a text from your mother. The text said ‘ Sorry, Belle won’t be able to make it. We would have to cancel, things came up’. I was kinda confused why did you cancel. We kept bringing this day up since we couldn’t wait. We waited for this day to come. I really wanted to see you. I thought you wanted to see me too. Maybe you did, but I guess you weren’t happy anymore. I texted you later that day, I asked: “what’s up, why did you cancel? Everything okay?”

But I got no response.

The next day I contacted you again, with a simple ‘Hey’. 

But, yet again no response. 

I kept texting you, but I didn’t get any response. So I thought maybe you don’t wanna be friends? I stopped texting you back. Till I got a snapback from my friend that I meant through you. 

He told me everything that happened. Why you canceled. I was so shocked I was literally speechless. I didn’t know what to say back. 

He said, “ So Belle tried to kill herself, and she was sent to the hospital”

I was shocked, speechless, and very worried. So I asked, “ Is she okay?”

“ Yes, she’s better!”

“ Let me know if you get any news.”

“ Yes, I will let you know, when I hear anything.”

Belle then called me and told me everything that happened.

After that things just weren’t the same. We didn’t really go back to being friends. Well the friends we used to be. But, again you ghosted me. I texted and texted getting worried. But no reply. Later, you then replied “ I just don’t think we should be friends’’

“ Did I do something wrong?”

“ No, just developing trust issues I guess. ”

 I just didn’t say anything. 

I was very confused because we had been friends since kinder. We have been best friends for the past 9 years. Where did I go wrong since you now don’t trust me? But if that’s where it has to go, then that’s where it will go. I won’t fight if you just wanna go out like that. Without talking first? Then the door is wide open. Walk!! Walkout if you like! Years later you bump into one of my friends at a school dance and say I am the fake one. Don’t pretend! I guess I didn’t see your true colors. You always try to make it seem like it was always my fault, for every single little thing. I guess I was just too blind to see that you weren’t my best friend or my friend. I was always there for you. When I needed you, where were you? No, where to be found. I guess it was a good thing that this happened. Just things don’t always last forever, even the ones we expect to last. Like people say friends end with the word end, but the word family doesn’t. It ends with i-l-y which means I love you. I should probably look for the red flags and see who are my true friends now. With this experience, I learned that it doesn’t matter how long you been friends with a person or how long you knew that person. It’s who said I am here and showed it. Belle didn’t, I stopped everything for her, for her to be happy. I tried to make you happy. I guess it wasn’t worth it. Now when we see each other, you look at me like we never knew each other. I never meant anything to you. I guess I will never know the real reason why you suddenly stop “trusting me”. I guess its time to move on. Now, I know it’s not a relationship, but I lost someone important to me she helped shaped me. The moral of the story is that I am happy for all the fake friends and the hate I get. I know that might sound a little wrong, but not going to lie it does hurt, but it helps me become who I am today. Those problems helped me become stronger. So I guess I just wanna say...

Thank you. 

Thanks for the hate you gave me, for the unloyalty. Thanks for showing me the type of friends to avoid. Most importantly, Thanks for not being there for me. You made me learn how to deal with stuff myself. I don't always have to share my problems with others, I learned how to deal with them on my own.  

I kinda feel bad for my young self. I thought, we thought we were going to be unbreakable. We had our own inside jokes from our favorite show. I still love that show, but when something from our inside joke pops up. It makes me think about us. I am not going to lie and say I don't miss you. I do. 

Anyways, thanks for making me, me. Sorry for not being a good friend and noticing that you weren't happy.



May 23, 2020 01:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

L. M.
23:26 Jun 03, 2020

This is a good story. There is some repetition though and telling versus showing. For example, instead of telling that you were worried, show it by giving internal sensations (in the first person "I"): My throat constricted or my mouth went dry. In the third person, you'd see physical signals (She pressed a trembling hand to her belly.) There was a good message to this story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.