23 comments

Fiction

The glass window magnified the warmth of the sun, and Mitzee closed his single working eye as the rays seeped into his weary, old bones. He had a good home, a roof over his head, meals on demand, comfort and luxury all round.

It hadn’t always been this way. He’d been a streetwise scoundrel, a ragged ne’er-do-well in his youth and into his early adulthood. A soft smile twitched his lips at the recollection. He’d been a terror. There was not a crime he hadn’t committed, or at least attempted, and he was usually successful. Pickpocket, cat burglar, assassin. If it required stealth, he was the master. Well, Snow would have said that she was his superior in that aspect, and perhaps it was true. When he knew her, Snow had been svelte and lean, her physique perfectly proportioned for getting into and out of trouble in the blink of an eye.

Ah, it had been years since he had thought about Snow. He wondered whatever had become of her? She probably landed back in maximum security multiple times. Mitzee couldn’t see her settling down to a simple life of domesticity, it just wasn’t in her nature. He’d never thought it had been in his nature either, but age had caught him quite unexpectedly, and luxury had softened him. Warmth and food and company, he’d never had much need of them. Not until that day his Little Scrapper, with the gap-toothed smile and single working eye, took one look at him and declared she would free him from maximum security.

Where was the Scrapper, the little girl who stole his heart? Mitzee’s smile fled his lips, and he frowned. It had been such a long time ago, and he just couldn’t remember. She had loved him with a kind of painful love that he begrudgingly accepted. It was the kind of love that was comfortable to lie down under a tree together and watch the clouds or the birds. He could remember doing that. He remembered wintry nights curled at the foot of her bed. There had been a time when he had spent whole days and weeks on that bed with her, staring wistfully out of the window as the seasons changed, and birds sang, built their nests and threw out their fledglings to begin again.

Then the bed was empty.

Those days of emptiness lasted for eternity. No one bothered Mitzee, and he became quite content to spend his time plotting and planning one last grand adventure, an adventure larger that all others. He was good at the planning, but it seemed that he lacked the willpower to execute it.

As spring returned and flowers began to blossom outside, Mitzee could feel a change, like a quiver in the air. For as long as he could remember, (which at his age was an awfully long time) there had been a sadness, the kind that reminded him of spaces with nothing inside. He was too old to fill those spaces. His body ached and groaned in protest at the thought of curling up in a cosy box. These days he preferred the luxury of a sofa, or the comfort of sitting in the golden sunshine that warmed the Persian rug.

Mitzee opened his one good eye as The Mother, her face lined with crinkles, returned from her outside mission. He sniffed, and he could smell her unique flavour. She would forever carry the tang of sadness, but it was muted, almost overpowered by another scent. A ripple went down Mitzee’s spine, his hair bristled as he turned his head to watch. The Mother placed a large box on her floor. Once a box like that was an invitation to curiosity, but not now. It smelled wrong, or rather, it smelled familiar and it shouldn’t.

One thing that Mitzee had perfected in his long life was the glare. He turned it on The Mother, unblinking and disdainful. Being interrupted in his afternoon ritual of basking in the sun put Mitzee in a foul mood and, being in such a mood, he was not receptive to surprises of any kind. Especially not the kind that had two fluffy ears atop a face that was all eyes as it peered over the rim of the box.

With an inelegant scuffle, the little creature tumbled from the box to land in a fluffy heap of limbs and whiskers.

“Play?” it wailed.

Mitzee curled his lip, showing teeth, and rumbled a warning.

“Play?” the creature warbled again.

Mitzee’s rumbling warning increased in volume.

The little ball of fluff gamboled over, its four paws tangling together as it tried to pounce. It bounced around, each bounce bringing it closer to Mitzee, and he arced up, fur on end, as he hissed a warning.

“Back off! Get out of my face!”

“Play!” The creature postured and posed, its rear end in the air. It had a tail, Mitzee noticed, and it twitched excessively.

The creature pushed its whiskered nose at Mitzee, who hissed again and swiped that smug face with a well-timed swing that sent the creature wailing, a helter-skelter of paws and claws. Mitzee didn’t bother watching it leave, as he turned tail and scampered furiously in the other direction.

Once the fury had subsided a little, Mitzee found himself on a window ledge, his favourite sunny ledge in the Little Scrapper’s empty room. He missed her, the plucky, scrappy child, with one eye and missing teeth. As he sat on the ledge, busy with the task of bathing himself and repairing the dignity he’d lost in his mad dash from the creature, his thoughts turned again to his lost friend. He couldn’t remember where she’d gone, he just knew she wasn’t here and her loss left a hole, a gaping, empty hole in his life and a tearful one in The Mother’s. Sometimes, when no one else was around, The Mother would come into this room and curl up on the bed, just where the Little Scrapper would sleep. She would leak from her eyes and gasp as if her breath were attacking her from the inside. Drawn by the sound, Mitzee would sometimes curl up nearby and fit himself into the crook of her arm. It was warm there, and the ragged, sharp breaths would settle as The Mother’s hand stroked long sweeps down Mitzee’s back. It was a sensuous feeling and the ripples of pleasure would call forth an uncontrollable feeling of peace that caused his chest to vibrate.

Once again, when Mitzee was happy that his fur was tidy, and he was bathed to his satisfaction, he curled his limbs beneath him, closed his single eye and relaxed as the last rays of the fading sun warmed his back.

“Play!” Mitzee shot upward as needle fine claws grasped his tail, sending lightning throughout his body. He spun and hissed, swiping a clawed paw at the tiny, irritating creature. It tumbled with a wail off the ledge, and Mitzee was a little chagrined to realise the irritating creature had crept up on him unawares. He was getting quite rusty and complacent in his old age.

The creature, (Mitzee supposed it had a name, but he was going to call it Menace) cried out and scampered from the room on soft paws.

“Good riddance!” Mitzee hissed and spat.

“Mitzee! Be nice!” The Mother admonished from the doorway as she gathered the little Menace in her arms and soothed down its bristling fur.

“Play!” wailed Menace.

Mitzee glared at it. “Never!” he hissed.

“Now Mitzee,” The Mother cajoled, her voice dripping with catnip. “This is Ginger. She’s only a baby. Be nice.” Mitzee didn’t like catnip. It was dangerous stuff and could turn the most hardened criminal into a floating fluff-ball, like dandelions on the breeze. Mitzee refused to stand down. He glared at Menace until The Mother removed the creature from the room.

The life of ease and peace had become Mitzee’s lot, and he was quite accustomed to having meals delivered to his own personal dish, rather than hunting them down. If truth be told, he rather doubted that his reflexes were up to pouncing upon his dinner and he had become quite partial to rabbit and tuna. It was not the kind of cuisine that made his staple diet when he lived among the riff-raff on the streets.

He was enjoying his own meal in quiet solitude when he was ambushed on his blind side. Menace pounced upon his dinner as if she had never eaten before. It was not to be borne! Mitzee snarled a warning a split second before he lashed out. No one, absolutely no one, took food from him and lived to tell the tale! In a tangle of limbs, claws and teeth that resulted in a flurry of fur, Mitzee attacked. His howl of rage filled the room, and The Mother came running, broom in hand.

“Mitz! No! Leave her alone!”

Mitzee fled the room as the broom handle swept past him. He was furious! It was most ignominious to be ‘broomed’ in his own home. Who does that? How dare they! He scuttled under the lounge in the front room and huddled in the dark. His thoughts were tumultuous and rumbled from his throat in disbelief and dissatisfaction. It took many long minutes for the feelings of aggravation and mortification to abate. As his heart rate slowed down again, he sat in the dark beneath the lounge chair and fumed. Who did the bloody Menace think she was? How dared The Mother admonish him for defending his food from the little invader?

Once he felt more comfortable in his own skin again, he crept cautiously from beneath the furniture and leapt up onto the windowsill. The outside beckoned. There were rules to the outside, every beast for himself. That was the rule. Kill or be killed, a simple, easy rule to follow. No confusion.

But the outside didn’t have rabbit or tuna. It had rat or bird, and neither of those options was as tasty as what he had here. Such a dilemma.

He nearly leapt straight up in the air when an annoying cry startled him from his reverie.

“Play!”

Mitzee hissed and turned his head to glare viciously at the intruder. If looks could kill, the fur-ball would be deader than dead, a fried up, sizzling mass of smoking cinders. But unfortunately, Mitzee’s glare was non-lethal. He settled for yowling, and a low, bloodcurdling, ominous sound emanated from deep within his soul. Truly terrifying.

Menace blinked, “Play?” She didn’t sound quite as sure or as confident anymore.

“Mitzee!” The Mother came running, and growled his name, before she gathered Menace in her arms and crooned at the fluff-ball. At least she took Menace away. That appeased Mitzee a little. He turned to gaze longingly out of the window again.

The days turned into weeks and Menace grew more annoying. Mitzee longed to swipe the satisfied smirk off her face when he padded into the Little Scrapper’s room to find The Mother asleep on the bed and Menace tucked securely into the crook of her arm.

“And what are you going to do about it?” Menace seemed to say with just her wide eyes and twitching whiskers, haughty, as if she had every right to be there. Mitzee just scowled and padded to his usual spot on the window ledge, basking in the sunshine. He watched the birds flit freely in the trees, unfettered by annoying upstarts who didn’t know their place in the world.

Mitzee had a plan. It had come to him as he watched through the window as The Mother hung washing on the outside line to dry. With silent feet, he followed the next time she gathered the next basket of wet clothing from the machine. Cautiously, he followed her outside, careful not to alert her to his escape. It had been so long since he had touched the ground outside that it felt uncomfortable against his unusually sensitive paws. He ignored the sensation, and with a running leap, he scaled the fence, scrambling for a foothold as he clawed his way to the top. Not the most elegant of performances, but it achieved his purpose. He was free.

“Mitzee!” The Mother gasped and threw her laundry back into the basket as she dashed to the fence. There was no way she would stop him, and Mitzee quickly leapt to the ground on the other side. It wasn’t his most stellar landing, and the impact jarred his old bones. He picked himself up and scurried away, not looking back even once.

The neighbourhood was unfamiliar. Mitzee had never wandered here before. The cats and dogs that lived behind fences and doors were strangers, and he felt the heaviness of loneliness on his back. He could feel their stares, their assessing glares and judgemental sneers as he passed. A warm patch of dappled sun under a bush called to him. It was secure under the leaves, no eyes to see him, no creatures to annoy him, and best of all, no Menace.

The soil was warm and soft. The mulch of years of fallen leaves created a carpet that cushioned his weary body. He could feel exhaustion creeping up on him and he curled into a comfortable ball, nose tucked under tail. The wind gently caressed the leaves above, rustling them in a soothing ripple of sound that gently relaxed his tired bones. He closed his one eye and sighed peacefully.

As the long, contented exhalation left his body, he heard a sound, one he had not heard in so long.

“Hello Mitzee.” It was her, his Little Scrapper. Her voice was soft and loving, welcoming and secure.

Mitzee smiled to himself as the last breath of his sigh faded away into the golden glow of the dwindling afternoon sun.

June 26, 2023 13:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Chris Campbell
03:10 Jul 03, 2023

Okay, Michelle. You tugged at my heartstrings and opened up the tear ducts. I still haven't recovered from watching Bambi as a child and you go and do this to me. Having two cats, I read your story mostly with a smile on my face. Early last year, we took in a stray cat that our resident cat has never liked. Fortunately, he chose to stay, but keeps scrapping with the "interloper," who for some reason can't seem to get enough of his new best friend. This was lyrical, poetic, and beautifully written, I don't think you need to be a cat owner ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
05:40 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks for reading this Chris. This is how Mitzee’s story always ended in my head a semi sad semi sweet ending where he goes out on his own terms. Sorry for the tears!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
22:36 Jun 29, 2023

I was just thinking the other day how long it's been since there was a Mitzee story, and wouldn't you know it? I popped on here today and saw this. Life works in mysterious ways, I swear. The story is a nice continuation of the previous Mitzee vignettes. The Little Scrapper bit was particularly well-done, because obviously with the mother's big reaction, we're meant to believe the worst has happened to her. And there's a cute level of ambiguity here - did she move away, or did she pass away and now her spirit is coming to greet Mitzee as he...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:03 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks for reading it, Zack, and for your constructive criticism. I do appreciate it and agree. I agree (hehe) that I over use words and redundancy is an issue I am on the lookout for too so I am so happy that you spotted that in my writing. It’s not so easy to see it in your own work so eagle eyes like yours are most appreciated. I’m happy that you enjoyed the Mitzee character, he’s a rascal and I always knew that he ended this way. My beautiful old cranky cat did this, peacefully and quietly, no fuss just decided one day that it was time,...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:28 Jul 21, 2023

Hi Michelle, Oh, what a furry in fantastic, tale! I adored this piece, and I loved that you chose such a dynamic set of characters. You did an amazing job of capturing the essence of a cat, and I adored the way that you wrapped everything up. This was a charming and imaginative take on the prompt. Nice work!!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
04:55 Jul 21, 2023

Thanks for reading. I’m happy that you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherry Bazley
00:04 Jul 05, 2023

PS: Have you thought of turning this into a wonderful children's book ?

Reply

Sherry Bazley
00:32 Jul 05, 2023

Well... it could also be a series about these two cats..four different books, right?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:51 Jul 05, 2023

There are five linked stories in total. The last one is not really for children, as it is presented as diary entries from the child’s POV with a sad ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sherry Bazley
00:01 Jul 05, 2023

"He felt the heaviness of loneliness on his back"... Beautiful. I heartily second Delbert's comments on your "lyrical prose...sad, sweet and uplifting". I'm new to this site and think this is the second story I've read of yours told from the POV of a feline. You seem to have observed them so well as to nearly live inside them, the way you tell the story thru their eyes. Congratulations on wonderful writing.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:15 Jul 05, 2023

Welcome to the site. Yes this is a series of stories about this cat. There are four from Mitzee’s POV and one from the little scrapper’s POV. As for putting them together, I don’t know… maybe… thanks for reading and responding.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:48 Jul 04, 2023

Dammit, I had to wipe a tear away when I read the final two paragraphs. I have to pause now to wipe away another tear. The return of Mitzee - and her ultimate end - is as well-written a tale as I've read in quite some time. Sad and sweet and uplifting, the tale is bigger than it should be for a 3k word count. You had such lyrical prose here, something I'm not good at. There is heartbreak all around. The Mother, the missing Little Scrapper, Mitzee's awareness of the end that's coming. Within this heartbreak, though, is new life. Menace. An...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:07 Jul 04, 2023

Thanks for reading and responding. Haha, we are at crossroads, I just read your story! *Cue twilight zone music* It is the ending that Mitzee was always going to have. A gentle easing into that final sleep in his own terms, a final adventure if you will. I appreciate your comments and look forward to and value your analysis. NB: If this one brought a tear, don’t go and read this week’s story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:15 Jul 04, 2023

Oh, but I will! If it's written by Michelle Oliver, it's a must-read tale. Cheers! P.S. - loved the "NB." Very nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
00:05 Jul 02, 2023

Hi Michelle - Well, sometimes you’ve got to leave before you get soft. The Mother seems to go through a lot of cats - Mitzee, reunited with Scrapper, is poised for another grand adventure … if not escaped the furious feline frenzy that is the Menace … “Play!!” No more! Says Mitzee… ugh seriously irritating can’t blame him one bit :) Fun read and nice to see Mitzee again … R

Reply

Michelle Oliver
02:40 Jul 02, 2023

Thanks for reading. I have been waiting for the right prompt to tell Mitzee’s last story. Furious, feline frenzie, love it! This weeks prompt told the story from the little scrappers POV. I think Mitzee is on my brain a bit this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:58 Jun 28, 2023

Oh, definitely a sad one. Little Scrapper's gone, Mitzee's been replaced, and he's on his last legs. But he gets one last hurrah, one final return to his youth before he settles down for good. Sad from Ginger's POV too. All she ever wanted was to play (irritating, maybe, but adorable) and she was rejected. "when an annoying cry startled him from his revere" - reverie? Old age, mourning, and contemplating mortality from the POV of a semi-house cat. It was nice to get another Mitzee story, even if it's his last.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:23 Jun 28, 2023

Thanks for reading this one. Mitzee was always going out this way. It’s the way of cats to just find a warm spot to take their final sleep in. It’s the way my old cat went and though it’s sad, it’s quite peaceful too. No drama, quite a contrast with Mitzee’s previous life of high drama and tension. Thanks for the pick up, will fix that now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:58 Jun 26, 2023

You have me crying. At first I was thinking this is exactly why we haven't replaced our Blacktop with another kitten because Bob would be thinking 'Menace' ( perfect name by the way). Then you had him joining his little 'Scrapper'. Oh, wow! This is supposedly fiction but I am wondering if you just lost your friend? You always tug on those emotional heartstrings. Such great writing.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:24 Jun 26, 2023

Thanks for reading it Mary. There is an element of truth in this story. It is exactly how our old cat passed, but it was years ago. He just went for a walk and curled up to sleep under a neighbour’s tree and never woke up. Cats tend to do that. I knew this was how the Mitzee story ended, I just needed the right prompt to finish it off.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:05 Jul 06, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Michelle Oliver
05:06 Jul 06, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:48 Jul 04, 2023

Dammit, I had to wipe a tear away when I read the final two paragraphs. I have to pause now to wipe away another tear. The return of Mitzee - and her ultimate end - is as well-written a tale as I've read in quite some time. Sad and sweet and uplifting, the tale is bigger than it should be for a 3k word count. You had such lyrical prose here, something I'm not good at. There is heartbreak all around. The Mother, the missing Little Scrapper, Mitzee's awareness of the end that's coming. Within this heartbreak, though, is new life. Menace. An...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.