0 comments

Coming of Age

The Flannigan family were almost ready, they were organising a party for James Flannigan aka Jimmy.

He had been going through year's of parental hell, no thanks to his toxic ex-wife.

Samantha Platt was an unpleasant woman, she had a cousin called Marie who was equally as vile and both girls had caused trouble for the Flannigan family.

The pub owners son, Toby offered to upgrade security just in case these evil women crash the party. He hated Marie as he accused Toby of child abuse due to his and his daughter's unique eye colour, inherited from his mother.

Unlike them, the Flannigan's were hoping to see his young adult daughter, Victoria. The family matron had taken a liking to her, although her twisted mother always caused rifts between them. Tanya Flannigan once took 'Vikki' to her care job. Her son Toby caught her on how to prepare meals for the elderly people his mother assisted with. She had heard stories from the residents.

She enjoyed the experience but to no surprise, her mother fussed about it. She deemed it inappropriate despite her being 16 years old at the time, so hardly a child.

Tanya had prepared jam tarts for her daughter Ophelia and lemon drizzle came pieces for Vikki. She made sure she had everyone's favourite snacks.

The older woman had a brilliant reputation for organising events and so did most of their family.

Everything seemed to be in order, so Tanya gave Rupert the thumbs up.

He then opened his pub doors bang on 10 am. They knew Jimmy would stop by shortly as he would visit the family on a Saturday.

Their youngest granddaughter Olivia had dripped a few cookies on the floor. Tanya laughed and picked up her grandchild. "Enjoying the sweets?" She asked her and fave her light cuddles. She giggled as Tanya put her back down and picked up the dropped biscuits.

Tripod, the three-legged poodle hobbled over to the toddler wagging his tail.

"Hewwo doggie!" Olivia smiled as she stroked the small dog. He looked about the right size for her by comparison.

This got the attention of several patrons.

"That is so cute," a senior woman said as the young boy who was with her walked to Olivia. "Libby!" He smiled, as this was her nickname. Young Oliver Sutton started to play with the dog. At first, he wasn't going to go, but then smelt that Toby had dog treats on him so wanted some easy grub.

He didn't mind the kids, and another little girl crawled over and giggled at the dog. He was patient with her as he was used to Libby.

"Oh Ivy, don't pull at his fur!" Charlie scolded her baby daughter. Tripod whined a little, but he didn't attack the baby.

Tanya smirked "this was supposed to be a party for my nephew Jimmy and his daughter. Now Tripod is stealing the show," she laughed as Tripod and the younger patrons were getting a lot of attention.

Just then Jimmy walked in with his daughter. Tanya ran over and shouted, "happy 50th and 21st birthday guys!" She smiled as Vikki and Jimmy were flattered. "Thank you so much, Auntie," he smiled. "It's no trouble, we all chipped in. But seems that Tripod and Libby have been making friends so a lot of the attention is on them," she smiled. Jimmy smiled. "It means I can go get food while they are busy," he giggled as his daughter suddenly rushed over to the dog who was surrounded by young children. The young adult squealed like a girl half her age and stroked the beautiful dog. She also fussed the children including Libby.

Tanya smiled, "well everyone's happy. Even Tripod and he's usually a grumpy git" she laughed as the party continued.

Things were running smoothly until most of the eyes of the Flannigan's flashed silver. They looked disgusted as they sensed Samantha Platt.

"Oh God, what the hell is she doing here!" Toby scoffed, he wanted to kick her out as did most of the family. But that was up to his dad Rupert.

The 39-year-old hybrid had his scythe in his pocket, it was in disguise of a trowel. He took it as an opportunity to give this evil cow a piece of his mind. She contributed to the false reports about his daughter Libby.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He scowled at Samantha. She scoffed, "I'm here to see my daughter since I organised a party for her, but she never attended. But for some reason, she's here with Jimmy the jerks weird arse family of yellow-eyed freaks!" She said, badmouthing the family. Toby smirked, "oh you mean these?" He snorkel as he pulled his fringe up, revealing his yellow eyes. She jumped a little, "so you were the vile cow who called CPS on my daughter? I pity the hell out of you. And to think there are children out there who need help but you go and make a false claim. Furthermore, Vikki knew you'd book her party on the same day she was visiting her dad and the 'weirdo' Flannigan's. What a jerk move, and it's ironic since that's what you called my cousin. Typical!" He scoffed. "Now if suggest you leave before things get ugly he said as Vikki walked over. Her mother suddenly looked like butter wouldn't melt. " hey honey I think you forgot our little party I organised," she smiled Vikki acoffed, "oh save it mum! You organised that to spite my dad and the family. And I know it would have been boring since being at this pub is fin and you would just invite your friends and drink eine until you fall asleep. So I didn't forget mum, I didn't attend!" She scoffed. Toby laughed out loud. "Well she told you! So what are you waiting for? Clear off!" He said as Rupert, Tanya, Ophelia, Anna, Amber and Jessica walked over glaring at her. All but support had the 'infamous' yellow eyes. Samantha looked terrified and quickly left.

Vikki felt relieved that her 'mother' left. She was considering moving out of her mothers house. And had brought it up in the past.

Anna gave Vikki a large card, she opened it and saw a deed for A two-bedroom house. It mentioned that Anna had paid it off and it was all hers. She would only have to worry about the bills. But since her twisted mother was charging her an unreasonable amount of rent to live with her. That would no longer be a problem.

Vikki cried and hugged Anna. "Best birthday present ever!"

May 09, 2021 14:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.