TRIP TO FLOWERLAND

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Romance

Planet Gaia2 is earth’s twin but is evolving about 8 centuries behind. In the kingdom of Anaka in Gaia2, there lived a woman named Slim. Slim she was as her name suggested. She was tall and fair and attractive with her abundant hair swept back and tied into knots. She wore the same dress of the kingdom which only covered her, waist down. She had been married to a man named Spark and they had lived a happy life. Spark was an adventurous type and one day decided to visit a kingdom where he was told the mountain sent up red hot rock very often. He wanted to see the smoke billowing and the red hot rock erupting and left for that kingdom. It had been three years and he hadn’t returned. It was assumed Spark had probably died when he went to view the red hot mountain.

Slim was only 24 and got permission to marry again. That was how she was now the wife of Cusp, a sculptor. Cusp had been greatly attracted by Slim. He had courted her and she had accepted the man who was a bachelor aged 26. Cusp had built his body by his work which needed a lot of brawn and he had massive biceps. Not only that, Cusp was handsome. The two lived in connubial felicity. One day as they were talking, Slim said “Our women are getting discriminated against. Why should a man have many wives?”

He said “You’re questioning the wisdom of our forefathers who have studied and experienced society before passing laws.”

“Isn’t one wife – a co-provider – and mate enough?”

He said “You don’t understand. A wife is also a financial partner, romantic love object, best friend, fitness adviser, home maker and a scintillating companion through holidays. These are esoteric skills which need more than one woman to provide.”

She said “I can argue differently.......”

He cut in saying “Enough of your irrelevant talk against established norms! I think it’s time we go on a holiday. I suggest we sail to the island of Floria where it is now springtime. We will be able to see the flowers. Of course a large number will gather as the season advances. Let us be there early.”

Slim was charmed by his proposal. She had been there once but wanted to again see the wild growth of flowers in effusion. She promptly agreed.

Slim and Cusp landed in Floria one day and she chose one of the cottages on the coast provided free to all temporary visitors to the island. They were captivated by the smell of a range of flowers. The bed provided to them was a pile of flowers. The two had a sea bath and settled in. An old woman brought them breakfast. She said to Slim “You’ve chosen the best quarter. It is bewitched. Whoever camps there will have a lot of luck.”

Slim said “Ma, when you say bewitched has someone done it?”

“Yes. There was a wizard who was renowned. She has cast a spell on this cottage. Her spell will double the happiness of campers here and is long lasting.”

Slim and Cusp had breakfast which they found very tasty. After that Slim said “Let’s go and explore the flowers.”

The two walked around accompanied by a boy who explained about the various types of flowers. As they went along he said pointing to a flower “This has a very nice and rich smell. Women here like to make garlands of this flower and attach them to their hair.”

Slim asked “What is the flower called?”

“Goldweiss. If a man or woman gives it to a partner their love will be greatly reciprocated. This is the most popular flower here. It is also very expensive.”

Slim said “Cusp, goldweiss smells very nice. We must take some home when we leave.” He nodded.

They finished seeing flowers and reached the cottage where Cusp went to sleep. Slim walked out and went to the seashore. As she was standing with her feet in the surf, she was surprised to hear someone speaking into her ear. She looked round but found no one. The voice said “I’m the fairy Flory and haunt this island. Make a wish and it will come true.”

Slim wanted to test the genuineness of what was said by the fairy and said “I would like my husband back. It’s 3 years since he is gone.”

“Wish granted.” Then there was silence. As Slim was walking back she saw a man coming towards her. When he came close she saw it was surely Spark, her first husband! Seeing Slim he ran towards her and put his around her saying “Slim, it’s nice to see you here. I’m actually here on my way home to Anaka from the land where the mountain spits hot rocks. I was held prisoner there for reasons I don’t know about. Luckily I escaped and took a boat out of the place.”

Slim didn’t know how to respond. She had to accommodate Cusp. She said “Come with me.” As they walked along she said “Since you were missing I got married again to Cusp. We’re here on holiday.”

“Good. I’ll join you.”

“But Cusp.........”

“Don’t worry. You’ll be doubly blest.”

“Cusp may not agree.”

“I’m de facto husband. He has to agree. Not only that, I’m senior by right. Take me to your cottage.”

When she started going along he grabbed her and kissed her saying “Your taking me along is worth two kisses but since I’ve given you one more, I require change!”

He grabbed her again and she kissed him ardently. At their cottage Cusp said “Welcome Spark! Slim, the fairy Flory told me she had spoken to you and I should accept Spark. I’ll do so. I’ve money to support you.”

“No need. I’ve made some money and will start earning again when I’m back home.”

Cusp said “Slim let us get back home soonest.”

Before leaving they packed goldweiss to keep in their home. Slim hoped the shoots would take root so that they could harvest the flowers at home.

When they had settled in their usual residence, the arrangement of ménage a trois wasn’t fully satisfying. Slim made Spark marry another woman and made it ménage a quatre! Soon both women were in the family way due to the combined effort. The two women produced twins each! Cusp and Spark silently gave thanks to the fairy Flory who had made them double blest in all ways!

END

March 20, 2021 13:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.