The Reaper's Reckoning

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

The Reaper's Reckoning

The crash echoed through the empty stretch of highway, metal screeching as the two cars collided. Sara’s world spun violently. The impact was jarring, like an explosion, and the sound of shattering glass filled her ears. In a split second, the roar of engines and adrenaline-fueled excitement vanished, replaced by chaos and terror. Her car spun out of control, tires screeching as she struggled to grip the wheel, but it was no use.

Her car flipped. Once. Twice. Metal crunched, and then everything stopped.

For a moment, Sara felt weightless, suspended upside down by her seatbelt, the world eerily quiet except for the sound of her ragged breathing and the faint hiss of leaking fluids. Her body was aching, head pounding from the collision, and she could feel blood trickling down her face.

Sara blinked, trying to make sense of the disorienting sight around her. The car was on its roof, windows smashed, airbags deflated. The smell of gasoline filled the air, and the dashboard flickered with warning lights. In the distance, headlights were fading as the other car sped away, vanishing into the night. Whoever had hit her wasn’t stopping.

This wasn’t just an accident—it had been deliberate.

Sara groaned, pain shooting through her ribs as she fumbled with the seatbelt, trying to free herself from the wreckage. Her hands were trembling, slick with sweat and blood. She could barely move her legs. They felt like dead weight, pinned awkwardly beneath the crumpled dashboard.

She reached for her phone, which had been tossed somewhere in the chaos. It was shattered on the floor of the car, its screen cracked and dark. Panic surged through her. She was alone. There was no way to call for help. No one around for miles.

Desperate, Sara pulled herself up, ignoring the stabbing pain in her side, and crawled through the broken window. Every movement was agony, but the fear of the car catching fire pushed her forward. She collapsed onto the cold asphalt, gasping for air, her body trembling from shock.

As she lay there, staring up at the dark sky, her mind raced. The race had gone horribly wrong. What started as a challenge had spiraled into something deadly. And she had no idea who had tried to take her out. But one thing was certain—whoever they were, they weren’t finished.

Miles away, Ben’s phone rang. He was sitting at the bar of an old, rundown diner on the outskirts of the city, nursing a cup of coffee. His mind had been restless all night. He had a bad feeling about Sara’s late-night racing. He always did. But she was stubborn, just like him. No matter how much he warned her, she couldn’t resist the thrill of it.

He answered the call, his heart already pounding before he heard the voice on the other end.

"Ben, it’s me," Sara gasped, her voice weak and shaking. "There’s been an accident."

Ben’s blood ran cold.

The Mustang’s engine roared as Ben sped down the dark highway, his hands gripping the wheel tightly. Sara’s directions were vague, but he knew the stretch of road where she had likely been racing. It was a known spot for underground street races, notorious for the lack of police presence and dangerous, winding turns.

As he approached the scene, his headlights cut through the darkness, revealing the wreckage ahead. Sara’s car was flipped on its roof, a mangled heap of metal and shattered glass. His stomach lurched at the sight.

Ben slammed on the brakes and jumped out, sprinting toward the wreckage. His heart raced, terror clawing at his chest as he searched for Sara.

"Sara!" he shouted, his voice hoarse. "Sara, where are you?"

A faint groan reached his ears. He ran toward the sound, spotting her lying on the side of the road, covered in blood and dirt. Relief and fear crashed over him in waves. She was alive, but barely.

"Sara," Ben knelt beside her, cradling her head in his hands. "It’s okay, I’m here. I’m here."

She blinked up at him, her eyes glazed with pain and exhaustion. "Uncle Ben… they tried to kill me."

Hours later, Sara lay in a hospital bed, hooked up to machines that beeped steadily, monitoring her vitals. The doctors had assured Ben that she would recover, but the injuries were severe—broken ribs, a concussion, deep cuts, and bruises covering her body. She was lucky to be alive.

By her bedside, watching the rise and fall of Sara’s shallow breaths, Ben couldn’t shake the anger building inside him. Someone had done this to her. This wasn’t a random accident. Sara had been targeted, and whoever it was had disappeared into the night without a trace.

"Who did this?" Ben asked, his voice low, barely concealing the fury beneath it.

Sara winced, trying to shift in the bed. "I don’t know. I didn’t see them. It was a black Charger, souped up, came out of nowhere. They rammed me off the road. I—I couldn’t control the car."

Ben clenched his fists, his knuckles turning white. He had connections in the racing world, people who knew every car and driver on the scene. If there was a black Charger involved in the underground races, he would find out who was behind the wheel.

"Sara, you need to rest. I’m going to find whoever did this," Ben said, his voice hard with determination.

Sara reached out, grabbing his arm weakly. "Ben, don’t… they’re dangerous."

"I know," he replied, his eyes dark. "But so am I."

Ben’s first stop was an old garage on the east side of town, a place where street racers often hung out between runs. It was dingy, with cars in various states of repair scattered around the lot. A few guys were leaning against a muscle car, smoking cigarettes and talking in low voices.

When they saw Ben pull up in his Mustang, their conversation stopped. They eyed him warily as he stepped out of the car.

"Ben," one of them, a wiry guy named Ricky, said with a nod. "Haven’t seen you around in a while. Thought you’d given up the life."

"I need information," Ben said, cutting straight to the point. "Who’s driving a black Charger around here? Hit and run last night, knocked a girl off the road."

Ricky exchanged glances with the others. "Black Charger? You sure?"

"I’m sure," Ben growled, stepping closer. "And I’m sure you know who it is."

After a long pause, Ricky sighed. "Yeah, I’ve heard about the Charger. Word is, it’s driven by a guy who calls himself ‘Reaper.’ New to the scene, but he’s making a name for himself real fast. Likes to play dirty. Real dirty."

"Where can I find him?"

Ricky shook his head. "That’s the thing, man. He doesn’t stick around. Shows up, races, causes chaos, and then disappears. No one knows where he’s from or where he goes."

Ben’s jaw tightened. He had heard of racers like that before—ghosts who lived for destruction and didn’t care about the consequences. But that wasn’t going to stop him.

"Get the word out," Ben said, his voice like steel. "Tell everyone I’m looking for him. And when I find him, he’s going to pay for what he did."

Days passed, and Ben’s search for Reaper led him deeper into the underworld of illegal street racing. He spent his nights driving the streets, chasing down leads, and talking to anyone who might have seen the black Charger. But Reaper was elusive, always one step ahead, never staying in one place long enough to be caught.

Meanwhile, Sara was recovering, but the fear still lingered in her eyes. She had been through a nightmare, and Ben knew that as long as Reaper was out there, she would never feel safe.

Then, one night, Ben got a call.

"I saw him," Ricky’s voice crackled through the phone. "Reaper’s racing tonight, down at the old industrial park. If you want him, this is your shot."

Ben’s heart raced. This was it. His chance to end it. To make Reaper pay for what he had done.

He jumped into his Mustang, the engine roaring to life as he tore down the streets toward the industrial park. His mind was focused, his rage simmering just beneath the surface. This wasn’t just about revenge—it was about justice.

When he arrived, the race was already starting. Cars lined up on the abandoned road, engines revving, headlights cutting through the darkness. And there, at the front of the pack, was the black Charger.

Reaper.

Ben parked his Mustang at the edge of the crowd, watching as the racers prepared to take off. His hands trembled with anticipation. He knew what he had to do.

As the signal for the race was given, Ben revved his engine and shot forward, joining the race at full speed. His Mustang roared, tires screeching as he closed the distance between him and Reaper.

The Charger was fast, but Ben was faster. He weaved through the other racers, his eyes locked on his target. Reaper glanced in his rearview mirror, clearly surprised to see Ben coming up behind him.

But Ben didn’t care.

He floored the accelerator, his Mustang roaring as it surged forward. He wasn’t going to let Reaper get away this time.

With a sudden burst of speed, Ben pulled alongside the Charger. Reaper’s eyes flicked toward Ben’s Mustang, and for a split second, their gazes locked. There was no mistaking the malice in Reaper’s expression—it was a challenge, an invitation to a deadly game. Without warning, Reaper swerved hard, slamming the side of his Charger into Ben’s Mustang.

The impact rattled Ben, but he was ready for it. His hands gripped the wheel tighter, refusing to be knocked off course. He matched Reaper’s aggression, swerving back, his Mustang clipping the Charger’s rear fender. Sparks flew as metal scraped against metal.

The other racers scattered, not wanting to get caught in the escalating battle. It wasn’t a race anymore—it was a fight for survival.

Ben’s heart pounded in his chest as he and Reaper barreled down the narrow, industrial road. The buildings on either side blurred past, but all Ben could focus on was the Charger ahead of him. Reaper was fast, but Ben had years of experience under his belt, and he wasn’t about to let Sara’s attacker slip away.

Reaper accelerated, trying to lose Ben by taking a sharp turn onto a side street. But Ben was right on his tail. His Mustang’s tires screeched as he made the turn, the rear end fishtailing before regaining control.

They were neck and neck now, speeding toward the end of the street where the road abruptly ended at the edge of a construction site. Reaper’s strategy was clear—he was going to use the chaotic terrain to shake Ben. But Ben had already committed.

As they approached the unfinished overpass, Reaper made his move. He gunned the engine and veered off toward a narrow gap in the construction barriers, heading for a dirt path that led beneath the overpass. Ben didn’t hesitate. He followed, his Mustang bouncing violently over the rough terrain.

The path narrowed as they sped through the maze of half-finished concrete pillars and debris. Reaper was trying to lose him, taking tight, reckless turns. But Ben stayed on him, refusing to back off.

Up ahead, Reaper suddenly swerved left, his Charger disappearing down a shadowy tunnel beneath the overpass. Ben followed, but as soon as he entered the tunnel, his instincts screamed at him. Something was wrong.

The headlights of his Mustang illuminated a pile of concrete blocks strewn across the path. It was a trap.

Ben slammed the brakes, swerving hard to avoid the debris. His Mustang skidded, tires screeching, but he managed to regain control at the last second. He pulled to a stop just before crashing into the pile. Ben's breath came in short, rapid bursts as he stared at the pile of concrete in front of him. The tunnel echoed with the rumble of his Mustang's engine, but the silence beyond was deafening. Reaper had vanished once again.

Frustration boiled in his veins, but he couldn’t afford to lose control. He reversed out of the tunnel, scanning the shadows, knowing Reaper was still out there somewhere—waiting, lurking.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed in the cupholder. It was Ricky again.

"Ben," Ricky’s voice was breathless. "Reaper didn’t go far. I just saw him take off toward the old shipyard on the east side. He’s cornered, man. You can get him, but you need to move now."

Ben's jaw tightened. The shipyard. It was isolated—no one would hear what happened there. No crowds, no racers, just him and Reaper. It was the perfect place for this to end.

He revved the Mustang’s engine and peeled out of the tunnel, tires screeching as he sped toward the shipyard. This was it—the moment he had been waiting for.

The dark, looming cranes of the shipyard appeared on the horizon, and as Ben approached, he spotted the black Charger idling near the edge of the docks, its headlights cutting through the mist. Reaper stood beside the car, as if expecting him.

Ben brought the Mustang to a halt, stepping out, his fists clenched at his sides. His heart pounded with anger, but his mind was clear. Reaper had no escape now.

"So, this is how it ends?" Reaper called out, his voice carrying across the dockyard. He lit a cigarette, the faint glow casting eerie shadows on his face. "You really think you can take me, Ben? You’re just an old man chasing ghosts."

Ben took a step closer, his voice cold. "This isn't about me. It's about Sara. You tried to kill her, and now you’re going to pay for it."

Reaper flicked the cigarette to the ground, his smirk fading into something darker, more dangerous. "You don't get it, do you? The streets don’t care about justice. This is survival of the fastest. And you? You’re too slow."

Without another word, Reaper lunged for the Charger’s door, but Ben was quicker. He charged forward, grabbing Reaper by the collar and slamming him against the side of the car. The force knocked the wind out of Reaper, but he laughed—a cold, unsettling sound.

"You think you’ve won?" Reaper gasped, his face inches from Ben's. "You’ll never beat me."

Ben’s fist connected with Reaper’s jaw, silencing him. He stepped back, watching as Reaper crumpled to the ground. The chase was over.

Ben knelt beside Reaper, his voice low, full of finality. "I don’t need to beat you. I just need to stop you."

As sirens echoed in the distance, Ben stood tall, the weight of vengeance lifting from his shoulders. Reaper's reign of chaos and fear had ended, but Ben knew the streets would never be safe. Not fully. But for tonight, justice had been served.

Sara would sleep soundly again. And that, for Ben, was all that mattered.

September 14, 2024 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.