0 comments

Christian Drama Teens & Young Adult

This is a story of a teenager who marked the days of her life. The story of a father and a motner who didn't give up to encourage their daughter to fight and survive a deadly disease.

Her eyes are staring blank on the ceiling. She lost half of her weight. She can barely move. Lily Anderson is sufferng from leukemia. Beside her bed, are tally marks on the wall, indicating the number of days she's been hospitalized.

"Good morning darling, did you sleep well" her mother greeted her.

"Daddy will be here tomorrow, on youf 16th birthday" said her mother.

"I miss Daddy" Lily said.

Lily let down the book she was reading. She grabbed her hair brush to comb her blonde hair. Her frail body is fighting the disease. She's loosing her hair fast due to her chemo treatment.

Lily is a lone daughter of Cindy and Martin Anderson. Cindy would not leave her daughter. She's with her all the time. Someone has to be besides Lily. Lily is suffering a physical pain unbearable for a girl of her age, much more to her mother. Amazingly Lily bravely fights on. She doesn't want her mother to see how she suffers.

"Mom, I'm thirsty" said Lily.

Her mother gave her a glass of water to drink.

"Listen Lily, Doctor Mcguire, is preparing a chemo session for you this afternoon. I know, it will not be comfortable for you but you need that to get well. You can take some food after the treatment." said her mother.

"Don't worry mom, you take care, I know it's not easy for you. I'm prepared for this. If I sleep, remember I love you much." Lily holding her mother's hand.

" I love you too, get well, you will be ok." Her mother comforting her.

It was a sunny day, when Lily was 14 years old, at their pool of their 4 bedroom house, her father gave her a big party. Martin is an Engineer, and presently on a big project assignment. He cannot be besides Lily all the time. But he would rush to the hospital everytime he gets his weekly break.

He gets regular update from Cindy. Martin, as a father was really devastated. He loves her daughter more than anything else. He brings Lily flowers everytime and will spend precious time besides Lily. He knows what Lily is suffering from. He knows what it will take to make her well. He has left Lily's faith to the miracle of medical science and most of all in God's will.

The show on the television is Lily's favorite. She loves nature and animal kingdom. She's amazed how animals live and behave in wildlife. She is completely mesmirized by the beauty of nature and the world they live. She even would not notice how tears fall from her eyes. Her hope is to dedicate herself in loving and protecting animals. That's why she fighst and lifts her spirit to survive. Another mark on the wall, marks her struggle.

She's barely awake next morning when someone whispers on her ears. " Happy Birthday darling." Martin greeted her.

She smiles, " How are you Daddy?" Lily said.

"I'm ok, how about my little princess?" Martin asked.

"Daddy remember the party on my 14th birthday?" Lily asking her Daddy.

"That was so memorable, your friends and classmates were present" that was Cindy who answered Lily.

"If only you are well, we could have another big party" Martin said.

"It's ok, Daddy, I already have my plan, when I leave this hospital." Lily said.

"You better get well, darling, go,go for it." said her Daddy.

"Why must I go into this Daddy?" "I'm not a bad girl." Lily lamented.

"Lily you are special, you will be stronger after this, now is no time to be weak. Remember your plans, all you have to do now is to get well" An encouragement from her Daddy.

"Look at your Mom, me and mom will be with you for your dreams."

"look Daddy, I mark the days, I wish I would mark no more. " Lily said.

"Don't stop marking, my love. Each line is God's given life." Martin said.

"Daddy stay with me, I dreamed of a happy place last night. It was so peaceful and serene. I dreamed that my marks , mark my life in heaven. I saw my body is weak but my spirit rejoice and filled with happiness." Lily narrated.

"Remember, the countless of you in this world. See the unfortunate ones who can't even have a single line to write. But you will not leave us, each mark is your life, one day you will not find them anymore; however, it will be you who will mark for others. Your marks will be someone else life." said her Daddy.

Lily listened intently to her father. She knew only a miracle could continue her marking her life. Her mother gives her hope and lifts her spirit. She remembered her dream of a peaceful, happy heavenly place.

That dream was an interpretation of Lily's future in life. Right after the last chemo session, a very encouraging improvement happened to Lily's condition. Short of a miracle, Lily survives.

Her marks are gone, but her struggles were turned into mission of life to others. Her love of nature and wildlife continues her journey to her new life.

"I am now speaking before you as a survivor of a deadly disease. My message is my story. My story is my life's struggle, my fight, and how I won a battle. Many more are facing the same predicament, many slept in peace and didn't return. But here I am, in front of you. A living testament of a survivor. I thank my dad, my mom ,without them my marks of my life will ultimately be forgotten. I thank my school, my classmates, my friends, my teachers. I realized that life is short and dreams are rarely fullfiled. I realized that my life is someone else life. I must not deny any help. I must not deny my love and sacrifices" speaking in a ceremony of her school.

December 29, 2020 13:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.