0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Today was the day. The day that the world would come to an end. Lisa Spencer woke up that morning ready to make it happen. Her mother had made the order. Humanity had grown arrogant and self-serving. They no longer remembered the old ways so it was time to eliminate them. 

She stared in the mirror. Her clothes looked plain enough but they were crafted in the heavens and would work better than any armor the humans would have. She took her sword and left. It was time to begin.

The trip to Earth was shorter than she had expected. When she arrived she was in a forested area. The man under her command were excited with anticipation. They had long awaited this day. “Shall we begin, milady?” one asked.

“No,” she replied, “our orders are to destroy the humans not the wild life. They are still innocent and we will not spill innocent blood.”

They marched on. As they did so she began to notice the heat from the sun on her pale skin. No wonder the humans burn so easily, she thought. 

Finally they arrived on top of a hill. Down below they could see a human town. She stood on top of the hill looking down, her blond hair blowing in the wind. Look at them… they are clueless. They won’t even know what hit them. 

She took a deep breath and raised her hand into the air and then brought it to point in front of her. The army began to march and they descended on the town. They destroyed the buildings and killed anyone who they found. The town was desolate and on fire when they were done. 

The men were celebrating their victory. Lisa saw no reason to celebrate. They had not fought a worthy adversary. They had fought humans with heavenly armor and weapons. The humans didn’t have a chance. They were just children to her. She looked up at the heavens and hoped her mother would at least be pleased. 

As they marched out of town down the road to the next human civilization the ground began to shake violently. What is this? An earthquake? Is mother angry? She caught her balance as the Earth opened up. She carefully approached the edge of the opening.

It was just an open abyss of darkness. The quake had caused a dust fog on the other side. She saw nothing inside it but it was definitely too big to cross on foot. She turned back to the men, “Looks like we will have to fly across.”

Just then she heard the flapping of wings. She turned as a girl came out of the abyss. She was pale and beautiful. She had long red tinted black hair and was wearing a long black dress. Her eyes were dark and her black wings were beautiful. She flew above them graceful as a butterfly. 

Lisa stared up at her. She looked familiar. Then it hit her, “Vanessa?”

 Vanessa Kain landed on the other side of the abyss. When she did so the dust fog cleared and she was able to see that Vanessa had brought her own army. 

“What is the meaning of this, Vanessa?” she asked angrily.

“Oh, sister, must you be so formal?” Vanessa replied.

“We haven’t been sisters for a long time. Not since you took fathers side and left us!”

“Mother was being crazy. You could have come with us.”

“Shut up! You don’t know anything! Now answer my question.”

“Now look who doesn’t know anything,” Vanessa laughed.

“Why you…”

“Did you really think that father would let you destroy the humans without a fight?”

“Why would he care about these stupid, arrogant, self-serving pests? They don’t even care about him or mother or the old ways!”

“Now, sister, surely you don’t mean that. Sure the humans have been corrupted. But some of them do remember the old ways and care about us. Are you to kill them like the others?”

“Of Course!”

“And where is the logic in that, sister?”

“The children of the corrupted humans will grow to be like them and may grow to hate us for the death of their parents. The humans and children who remember us may also turn with time. We cannot leave any survivors.”

Vanessa sighed, “didn’t mother promise not to destroy the humans again?”

“No. She promised not to destroy them via water or a flood. As you can plainly see we plan to destroy them with fire.”

“Well, I can’t allow that. Father sent me to protect his human children.”

“Well, mother sent me to kill them.”

“When will you accept that mother is crazy?”

“When you accept responsibility for leaving me with her!”

With that Lisa charged at Vanessa with her sword unveiling her beautiful white wings. Vanessa drew her sword and managed to block her. The armies began to fight above them. As they traded blows Vanessa knocked Lisa to the edge of the abyss.

“When will you learn that you cannot beat me, sister?” Vanessa asked.

“I can and I will.” 

Lisa got up and charged her sister but Vanessa dodged. She knocked her sword easily from her hand as she tried to regain her balance. She then kicked her and she landed near the edge of the abyss again

Vanessa reached her hand down to her, “Come with us, sister. Lets end this nonsense.”

Lisa coughed, “When did you start caring about the humans? The Vanessa I remember was ruthless and hated the humans.”

“I met one who didn’t fear me. She wanted to be my friend. She taught me that I don’t have to be what others think I am or should be…that I get to make my own choices and decisions about who I am going to be. And so do you. Please come home with me.”

 Lisa stared up at her sister. Had their father really created a home down there? If her sister could change could she free herself from her own fate? She sighed and took her sisters hand.

They joined the fight in the skies till mother’s army retreated and then Lisa accompanied her sister back into the abyss to reconcile with her father who she had not seen since their mother had cast him out of heaven. 

January 23, 2022 18:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.