3 comments

General

Voice recorder on    Today is May 1, 2246. My ID number is 452151956. My given name is Thea. It's been a long time since I used that name. I'm unable to sleep, it has been dark and cold for such a long time. I have little food and water left. I used most of the wood I had can only keep the fireplace working for a day or two. I'm dictating this so those who come after will learn from our mistakes. We played with nature; we thought we could control it, but we discovered it will have no master. Let me go back into the past to detail our hubris toward nature. 

Voice recorder on   Today is November 8, 2239. It is a beautiful day. The temperature is 75 degrees mild breeze. The weather department today announced that they decided to continue the pleasant temperature for at least another two weeks. They also announced that they improved the weather monitor the updated version will come online in a week. In 2195 the engineers discover a way to harness the weather. It was wonderful for the first few years. They extended the summer to late December. You see December we celebrated the first day of the cold. I listened to an old CD I had a difficult time understanding what was said it recounted that people at that time celebrated something called Chrtmas. I could not find any reference for this in any voice masters. 

Voice recorder on    Today is December 30, 2239, I'm not sure what happened this afternoon. One minute it was cool but still comfortable.

Suddenly, on one side of the street, it was raining while down the street it was unbearably hot. The weather department explained it away by reporting it happened when they upgrade the equipment they said we would get an extra food coupon this month. I thought great I'll be able to try the new thing called pudding.

Voice recorder on       Today is February 20, 2240. The weather department decided they needed it to rain to refill the water tanks so it rained for over two months. Many of the streets have flooded backup homes are in short supply. The weather department assured us that water tanks were now full, The rain did finally stop but it became very warm for a few weeks the weather department assured us it was required to quickly dry area still affected by the rain to be able to rebuild the permanent home to replace the backup homes.

Voice recorder on   Today is April 15, 2241. Each day the weather fluctuates unpredictably. The weather department reports the enginers

are currently updating the machinery to keep up with our growing population. I feel confused but you don't ask questions the weather department is above approach. I found an old receiver in the attic it was used to communicate till the home voice recorder was placed in homes.

I was able to get a very weak connection a voice was saying the weather department was hiding the truth. The truth was that the weather control machine was failing.

Voice recorder on  Today is August 20, 2241. The weather department reporting that the rumor of the weather control machine was failing the group spreading this incorrect information was being dealt with in the most severe matter. 

Voice recorder on    Today is February 20, 2242. The call for the weather department to explain the problem with the weather machine. They continue to report the enginers are working around the clock making adjustments which may cause some weather disturbances. Groups have been going to the hall of light to have the grand committee president to comment on what is happening. The grand committee refers back to the weather department they refer to the engineer section. I hear the security patrols overhead all day long. People now want the truth.

Voice recorder on      Today is July 20, 2243. Things are going from bad to worse. We no longer get reports from the weather department. All we hear is an old recording that they have the situation controlled. Most of the stores have little left no longer taking food chips now have gone back to coin credits but most were confiscated. I found a few coin credits in an old box in storage so I'm able to still have some food but it will not last long.

Voice recorder on    Today is May 5, 2244. We finally learned the weather machine is unrepairable failing quicker than predicted. I have been using my voice recorder for short periods since the weather machine for unknown reasons as it started to fail is began pulling power from the main grid causing loss of lights and heat going to homes. No one knows how to disconnect it from the power grid it's like the machine is fighting for its survival. 

Voice recorder on     I think it is most like some time in July 2245. The central timepiece stopped working. My voice recorder unexpectedly fails. I hope (voice recorder stops)recording is understandable. The weather machine last weather cycle was snow and it's been snowing continuously. (voice recorder stops) control weather has (voice recorder stops) destroyed our way of life. May nature forgive us.

Nature repaired itself. The balance was restored. A group of archeologist students was at a new dig site. One of the students came across an old reinforced voice recorder box. The group took the box back to the lab at school that had the equipment to play the recording this is what they heard:

Voice recorder on    Today is May 1, 2246. My ID number is 452151956. My given name is Thea. It's been a long time since I used that name. I'm unable to sleep it has been dark and cold for such a long time. I have little food and water left. I used most of the wood I had can only keep the fireplace working for a day or two. I'm dictating this so those who come after will learn from our mistakes. We played with nature we thought we could control it but we discovered it will have no master. Let me go back into the past to detail our hubris toward nature. I know I will have died this is my legacy to the future. Heed the warning.


April 08, 2020 19:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Ika Knight
15:07 Apr 17, 2020

That was very interesting, and the ending was unexpected! I liked the approach you took to the prompt, and how it was set in the future. The only thing I have to say was the paragraphs were a little wordy, but otherwise, it was awesome!

Reply

Debbie Stelzle
23:12 Apr 17, 2020

Thank you for your feed back glad you like the story

Reply

Ika Knight
19:45 Apr 23, 2020

No problem. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.