7 comments

Christmas Fiction Happy

In twenty minutes, this house will be full of people. In twenty minutes, strangers will arrive. In twenty minutes, will be the first Christmas since my dad got remarried. In twenty minutes, Christmas will never be the same.

“Kyle, you can’t stay in your room until Christmas is over,” Nikki shouts at my door. “Stop sulking!”

Of course, she would know what I was thinking. She is my twin. My twin, who also hated the idea of dad remarrying and moving us to this house to fit our “new” big family. But, after only two months, Nikki decides she likes Claire and her two daughters. Happy for dad and it’s not just us three. Even smiles at Mason, Claire’s son, who’s been angry since the beginning of all this and voiced it. Says she’s fine with it all.

Well, I’m not. I’ll never call her mom. I’ll never call them my sisters and brother. They are not my family. They are strangers I’m forced to live with. I’ll never replace my mom.

The sound of a car engine draws me from my thoughts. Pushing myself off the bed, I walk towards my window, which has a view of our front house. Below me, my grandparents’ gray car stops behind dad’s in our driveway. They get out at the same time Nikki runs towards them. Grandpa grabs Nikki in a bear hug, swaying back and forth. He lifts his head to see Abby and Lucy coming towards them.

They are not their grandparents. No matter what grandma says. Just like their grandparents are not mine. We are not a family. Strangers forced together by our parents.

I turned away, landing face down and arms stretched out on my bed, pulling my pillow over my head. Why? Why did he have to do this? I thought he loved mom. Were Nikki and I not enough? He had to get a new family? Removing the pillow, I look at the picture of mom atop my drawer. She’s standing by a Christmas tree in our old house, holding a star. The brightness of her smile and eyes doesn’t compare to the lights on the tree. There’s so much love in her eyes that they overfill.

A month later, she was pregnant with us. Nine months later, she died during childbirth.

“Hey Danny, grandpa and grandma want to see you,” dad says knocking. “Come on bud. The whole family will be here soon.” Silence stretches on. “Okay, Danny, you’ll come down when you’re ready.”

She loved him and he married someone else. He betrayed him. He didn’t really love mom. They are not my family! I hate him! I hurl my pillow at the door before blocking out everything and everyone with the blankets.

More people arrive. Two cars full of strangers. I watch as Claire’s mom and dad open their doors while Claire’s younger sister, Zoey, gets help from her husband, Rob. She’s eight months pregnant. The driveway is getting filled up. Our family wasn’t small. We had grandpa and grandma and sometimes Uncle Ben and his family. But now, it’s crowded.

“Danny!” Nikki burst through my door, causing me to spin around. She stands there, glaring at me with her arms crossed. She’s mad at me!

“Grandpa and grandma are downstairs and you are here acting like a six-year-old. No, wait, I take that back. That’s insulting to Lucy, who is six.”

“Go away.”

“It’s Christmas Eve, and the family is here. Uncle-“ 

“They are not my family,” interrupting her. “Only grandpa, grandma and uncle Ben are.”

“What is it with you and Mason hating that our parents married each other? It is not the worst thing to happen.”

“Of course you would say that. Go away. Go hang out with your new sisters.”

“And what’s wrong with that?”

How could she say that? As if she forgot all about mom. Our real mom.

“Either come down or I’m going to punch you,” raising her eyebrow.

I stand my ground. She means it, but she knows I’ll hit her back.

“Okay then,” coming towards me, fists clenched.

Several punches later, more by Nikki (she knows how to fight) she drags me down. Grandma and grandpa are talking to Zoey and Rob on the couch. From the small clips I get over the noise, it’s about their baby. Dad and Claire are in the kitchen getting the dinner ready. Nikki, Abby, and Lucy are on the floor playing with Snowflake, the cat. Claire’s dad and mom, who said to call them grandma Sally and grandpa Paul, are in the spare guest room putting their suitcases away, where they’ll be staying.

Our old house couldn’t fit this many people, but this house, with ten bedrooms, six bathrooms and a basement could. I still rather not live here.

I glance across from me to see Mason staring at his sisters, laughing with mine. He was also dragged down. Claire gave him a stern look and told him to behave.

Narrowing his eyes, he looks away. Nikki thinks I’m acting like a six-year-old, Mason is worse. Since living here, all he has done is glare at everyone and say little. He even told Nikki that his sisters are his, not hers, but she told him we’re family now and then walked away.

Mason’s parents divorced five years ago. I think he secretly hoped they’d get back together. He didn’t have to say anything, I could tell, just like I used to hope my mom didn’t really die. Hoping and wishing she would walk through the door. As I got older, I knew it would never happen.

The day we moved in, Claire asked us how we like the house. Mason snapped and yelled how he hated the house and didn’t want to live here, then looked at my dad and said he wasn’t his dad, before running to his room and slamming the door. I might sulk and stay in my room more, but at least I don’t have anger issues.

A car horn blares from outside. Uncle Ben and his family.

“Ben loves to announce he’s here,” grandma says, chuckling.

Nikki jumps up, sprinting to open the door, with Abby and Lucy following. All they have done since living is follow my sister around like two ducklings chasing after their mother. It’s disgusting and annoying.

Mason glares after them. He got in trouble with Claire when Abby went to her mom, saying he kept telling them Nikki wasn’t their sister. I also got in trouble when I agreed. Both of us got a lecture from dad and Claire about “how we’re a family now, and blah, blah, blah.”

“Merry Christmas! Now, who wants chocolate?” Uncle Ben beams.

Uncle Ben and his husband, Tyler, take turns celebrating the holidays with their family. The years when he’s with us, he always brings a big box of mixed flavor chocolate. Now it’ll probably be all gone before I even have some. Eaten by strangers.

Dad hugs Ben, hanging on to him by shoulders. Ethan comes screaming and running around in the living room. He is four. Followed by Tyler, who’s carrying Tommy.

Mason and I are the only ones who haven’t got up to greet them.

“Hey Danny. What, no hug? Being twelve, you’re too cool and old to hug your uncle?”

“Hi Uncle Ben,” I mumble.

“Hi Mason.” Uncle Ben holds out the box. “Chocolate?”

“No.” He gets up and heads to his room.

“I don’t want any either. I have a headache.” Heading upstairs, the sound of chatter and laughter drowns out.

Nikki storms into my room, grabbing my arm."Get up. Come on."

“What? Leave me alone.” I struggle to my feet with her yanking on me.

She gets behind me to push me out the door. Shoving me down the hallway to Mason’s room. She grabs hold of my shirt from behind while opening his door, pushing me inside. Mason is lying on his bed, earphones plug in.

“Stop pushing me around,” I say, trying to get away from her.

Mason pulls out his earphones, getting up. “Get out.”

Shoving me again, I fell on his bed. Nikki is staring at us, hands on her hips.

“I said get out,” Mason says, standing up.

Nikki pushes him down. “You both need to stop being all sulking and angry. It’s Christmas.”

“I could act the way I want to and I want both of you out of my room,” getting up again.

Nikki pushes him down again. “Your mom and our dad are married. That’s that. This is how it’s going to be now. So stop acting like babies.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. And stop pushing me!” When he tried to get up again. “They’re married now. It means nothing. People get divorced all the time.”

Nikki rolls her eyes. “You know that’s not true. Have you seen them? They are so in love with each other, it’s disgusting.”

Mason gives Nikki the death stare, and she gives it right back. Neither one of them is backing down. I don’t know about Mason, but Nikki never looks away first. I once saw her stand down a bully that was two years older and taller than her.

The thought of it makes me laugh out loud, causing both of them to look my way.

“Whatever. I said get out,” Mason waves his hand towards the door.

“If you both don’t behave and celebrate Christmas with the family, I’ll punch both of you.”

“If you hit me, I’ll hit back.”

Just because I’m angry with her doesn’t mean I won’t defend her. “If you hit my sister, you’re going to get it.”

He stares at me, daring me to try something. “Oh yeah? What are you going to do?”

Nikki snaps her fingers in front of us. “I’m threatening both of you. And I mean it,” looking between us. Satisfied, she turns and walks out of the room.

“Your sister sure is something when she’s mad.”

I bend over laughing. “Oh, you have no idea.”

We both grin at that. Silence stretches on before we both look away.

“See you down there,” I wave to him.

“Yeah. You too.”

That was the first time we actually smiled at each other. We’re the same age and in the same class at school, but never hung out with each other. Even before our parents got together, we barely glanced at each other. We had different friends and different hobbies. He sat on the left, next to the window, while I sat on the right, at the end. Suddenly we’re brothers now? Life is weird like that.

Closing the door, I stare around my dark room. I’m up here alone while they’re down there. Family and strangers. Except maybe they’re not strangers? 

Looking at the picture of mom, I know she wouldn’t want me sitting here alone. And she’d want dad to be happy too. Because that’s who she is.

Walking down the last few steps, I hear dad and Claire laughing in the kitchen. They’re always laughing. Even though dad laughed and smiled before with us, it’s somehow different. They’re always holding hands and kissing, which, gross by the way.

Tip toeing to the kitchen doorway, I see dad and Claire at the stovetop. Dad is mixing something in a pot, talking to Claire with a grin on his face and her hand on his arm. They look happy. In love.

“I never saw my mom that happy before. Even with my dad,” Mason whispered.

Looking behind my shoulder, he’s staring at them, an emotion I don’t recognize crosses his face. Then it’s gone and looking at me. “Nikki is right. They’ll never get a divorce.”

“My dad is happier too,” I whisper.

“My dad was hardly around. He was always working, still is. Mom and him were always fighting too. Mom tried to hide it from us, but I heard them.” He stares up into my face. “She’s happy with him and I see how he is with my sisters. He’s a good guy.”

“I never met my mom. I only heard stories and had pictures of her. But I know your mom could never replace mine and wouldn’t want to. She makes him happy and for that, I’m glad they’re together.” I smile at him, meaning it.

The second time today, Mason smiles back. I didn’t want things to change. I liked it when it was us three, and didn’t want mom to be replaced. Except I know I was wrong. He’s not betraying mom by marrying someone else. He loved her.

“I’m not ready to call you brother yet, but I’d like to get to know you better,’’ I say.

“Me too, Danny.”

“Come on. Maybe there’s still chocolate left from uncle Ben.”

“With my sisters, probably not.”

“It’s Christmas! It’s Christmas! Santa came! Santa came!” Lucy bangs on my door, running to bang on everyone’s door.

I throw the blankets off, grinning. I called them strangers, but that’s not what they are. Opening my door, I ran downstairs to have Christmas morning with my family.

December 29, 2022 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

A.B. Writer
23:38 Nov 06, 2023

Love how the boys end up getting along in the end!!! Please read some of my writings. -Avery

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mikayah Parsons
20:04 Jan 06, 2023

I really like the internal dialogue! Great job with fleshing out a lot of these emotions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mikayah Parsons
20:04 Jan 06, 2023

I really like the internal dialogue! Great job with fleshing out a lot of these emotions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mikayah Parsons
20:04 Jan 06, 2023

I really like the internal dialogue! Great job with fleshing out a lot of these emotions

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zoë Watts
17:12 Jan 05, 2023

I really feel like to you got the complex emotions of two families learning to be together really well. well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
02:40 Jan 04, 2023

This expertly hit so many real notes, both positive and negative, about meshing families. I loved the ending, too!

Reply

Elizabeth Clark
18:43 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.