Good news after Pain

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

11 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Romance

Loving him wasn’t a mistake.

In less than an hour, the house was organized to host a big party again. Everybody waited in parts to see what was to happen. Some people take Christmas like an angel sent for happiness but look it carries the extremely full joy of Christmas and Easter. As the food was served on the table of a hungry herdsman who couldn't even kneel to wash his hands properly or remove the specks of dirt on the skin, this was the best example to explain the happiness of a dish one has yawned for since they met each other. Before the banana could be cut out of the bunch, the saliva was already rolling from the places of high concentration, down through the smoothened curvy, beefy, fleshy surface covering the well-organized femur. While the spring well was already over flooded just waiting for the water pipe which was still enough to drink all the water. The borehole was dripping with high breathing rate like a tired dog only waiting to be called for a meal. The ozone layer overcame its shield and the earth was extremely heated and the plants that turned evergreen of the condition released out their water to the dot while the roots were busy sinking deep searching for underground nutrients for their growth. After all the tickling satisfaction, the snake escaped out of the pot covered with a layer of watery white porridge and still demanding for more with a strategic movement of up and down like a lizard that has fallen from a height in recognition for its braveness. That was the joy of paradise from hell.

“Thanks so much, I will never leave you, me too”, Bolly and Benny conversed.

It was November 20th, 2017 when he proposed to me. With the poetic voice of love just like angels singing in heaven. A haven was organised for dinner and after he proposed to me with a ring made especially for a princess like me. After the proposal, traditionally, we supposed to get married officially after one year but my case was different.

Remembering the night he enjoyed the best in me thinking he meant his words makes me crazy and never to fall in the pit of love again. Bolly was all I had until he said it is over between us. I imagined the world without him and my only submission was to kill myself.

Seeing him go for another woman after proposing to me, caged me in thoughts of less human and less woman. I had all description of whom I have become in the name of marriage and if there was another world to live in, I would have opted for it. Friends and families inveigled me for sticking to a man who doesn’t love me.

He went on with life with another lady in the nearby village because she was a banker and I was just an attendant in Bokaka Hotel.

Since Bolly do come to the same hotel with his newfound lover, I couldn't wait to resign from my job. The manager was disturbed for my sudden change but she had nothing to do since I had made up my mind to relinquish my position.

Two days at home without a job and the sorrow of disappointment of love was still torturing me; I had to leave home in search of a new job. Fortunately, I met the worker who told me that there was a vacancy he saw along Koko Avenue at Bossy Restaurant. Immediately, I went and it was a success because I resumed work automatically and I was happy once again.

One evening as she was going home after work, she met the same worker who directed her to Bossy Restaurant and she was happy to behold him again.

What is your name, please? Benny asked.

My name’s Jembo.

She continued, I have longed to see you again coincidentally here we are. I must say a very big thank you because you made my life better. I got the job the same day you told me to go there. Kindly, give me your contacts.

Sure, it is +2567070896743.

Thank you very much. I stay at VB estate. What about you?

Oh, can't we have dinner together then I shall tell you my place of abode? Jembo requested jokingly.

That’s awesome. I am grateful for the offer. But where exactly shall it be?

Leave that to me but I believe you will like it afterwards.

It was a great evening for Jembo and Benny. They got to know each other more as this never ended on just having dinner together.

Six months down the lane, they got along more intimately. One Saturday evening, Jembo took Benny for a weekend at Governor's cottage near the fish market in Nigoro. As they were driving to the venue, Benny was reminiscing of how Bolly fooled her and she began to feel insecure about what this journey will turn out to be. However, she never uttered any word but Jembo realised it and said;

You looked worried. I hope all is well?

Yeah, I am just lost in my world.

World! Kindly let me into your world, my dear. You never know I will as well enjoy it together with you.

That’s lovely but there is no need unveiling the parcel that must be unwrapped at it due season. So, do not worry the whole weekend is yours; you will know everything about me.

Interesting, I shall wait for that moment to come and maybe then our conjugal bliss would have taken another dimension. Whatever it is sweetie, just be calm my chest is enough to rest your head always. Do not fear anything for we have come to be.

With a smile she replied, I love you so much.

About an hour ago, they had arrived at their destination and they rested. While they were at supper, the word resounded again.

Will you be the mother of my children?

What do you mean? She replied.

Surely, you mean the world to me and I have realised how incomplete I am without you. Kindly, make me whole; please, don't say no.

Immediately, he brought a ring and placed it before her but Benny couldn't withstand the shock and she busted in tears. Jembo was confused about what's making her cry but she said, I am not ready for marriage after what I have been through. She narrated her past life with Bolly and Jembo assured her that love has resurrected again. He added, marry me and everything will be over. With a kiss, she accepted his proposal and that night was another paradise for them.



July 17, 2020 09:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Anjali Malik
11:16 Jul 24, 2020

Hey Ophoke, that's really a realistic story and I liked the plot of your story very much. Good work dear,all the very best for your future. God bless you!😇 💝💝💝

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
11:32 Jul 24, 2020

Amen. Thanks so dearly Anjali. I appreciate you a lot for making feel I can write something that someone can read. I am grateful. Let's keep the world ablaze with our pen, paper and time.

Reply

Anjali Malik
11:43 Jul 24, 2020

Surely, that's so sweet of you and always remember to trust yourself that you can conquer this world and when you will start believing this you can reach to greater heights. That's all I want to say and ya make sure that you keep writing as I want more stories from you. Is it okkk? Loads of blessings from this side! 💙💙💙

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
07:58 Jul 25, 2020

I will darling. More has been written waiting for publication and many are still on the pipeline just sit down and I give you a glass of wine from a quote of one of my self-help book titled my idiot of comfort, "different seasons in life denotes that life determines our fate. Our corporation makes it significant but going contrary to it keeps one's life in the circuit of power outflow of mental instability leading to general break down and the repair is only acceptance and forgiveness bearing in mind that comfort is not peace neither happine...

Reply

Anjali Malik
08:19 Jul 25, 2020

Oh my god! This one's so realistic. Seriously, today I learnt a new lesson which I will always remember. You just made my day. And you write so well. I am really impressed. And please don't mind my english as I am not a native speaker but desperately trying to learn from so good people like you. You are so nice.😊 And if I am not wrong, is that profile picture you? Well, have a great weekend ! dear ❣️❣️

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
13:50 Jul 25, 2020

Surely, I am also trying to have a mentor. I lacked it to date and not a native speaker too. Whatever you are seeing is just my personal struggle due to love for writing and I am not a literature student but I love all genre. You can follow my work on prose https://theprose.com/LEONARD. I am the one on the profile. Together we shall make it. Just keep going.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:19 Jul 17, 2020

A true story depicting real life situations

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
17:09 Jul 17, 2020

Thanks @Ogaalai. I am pleased you read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.