0 comments

Romance Sad

She arrived in a cold gasp of fog onto sloping grass in a church’s shadow. The church was built at the top of a mound with a view across the old town between swaying birch trees, that roared in the cold night air. The streets at the foot of the knoll were cast in an orange light, and children wandered from door to door all dressed in costumes.

“Ah Darling here you are!” She turned around sharply, her black hair whipping her in the face as she turned to look at the voice. “Jim?” He walked toward her over the grass and spread his arms as wide as his welcoming smile. “Hello Marie,” His voice stole the cold from the air like a warm hearth. She touched his face first, smooth as it had been in his twenties, then looked at his watery eyes, before wrapping her arms around him. He pulled her closer. “I’m sorry I kept you waiting,”

“Not at all Sweet one.” She felt tears at the corners of her eyes as he gathered up her shirt in tight fists on her back. As they leaned away there were tears in his blue eyes too. He wiped hers away before wiping his own and pushed her hair from her face. “Have you been here long?” She asked.

“It doesn’t matter. You’re here now.” He replied releasing her and stepping back reverently.

“You’re so beautiful you know.” She scoffed and wiped away another tear.

“How did you know I’d be here?” She asked.

“I come here on this night every year.”

“On Halloween?”

“Well it’s the only night I can get away. Plus, I get visitors.” He laughed and she laughed too.

“I suppose I’ll have to get used to it.” Sudden realisation crossed her face. “Oh my God! It’s Halloween. They come every Halloween!”

“Yes, they do.” Jim smiled, “Let’s go wait for them, there’s a bench up there with our name on it.” He held out his arm and she linked with him.  

“It’s not a bad spot this.” She said, as they walked up the graveyard together.

“Not at all, it’s really nice. You chose well.” They walked between the tombstones as the shadows from clouds, dappled moonlight up and down the spire, offering occasional illumination to their path. Marie recognised some of the names. “Have you met any old friends?” He crumpled his face in a ponder. “Some…” He mused, before smiling wryly. “But to be honest, I’ve just been waiting for you to turn up.”

“Oh, shut up you bloody idiot.” She chuckled, slapping his arm.

Soon the church loomed over head and Jim gestured to a brand-new bench that had been pushed against the wall. She took a seat and he followed suit and they both looked out over the tombstones and graves that dotted the landscape before them.

“So, have I missed anything?” Jim asked as tipped his head back to look at the clear sky. “You know, since I popped off.” Marie looked at him, just taking him in. He looked just like he had when they’d met, even down to the green jacket. She looked away across the graveyard, “It all got a bit grey after you left. I can’t remember much if I’m honest.” She lowered her head.

“Hey,” He said, half sternly, “You can’t help it.” He smiled at her, and put an arm round her shoulders. “You still came to visit though.” She leant a head on him.

“Of-course I did.” She smiled. Another sudden revelation crossed her mind, and she raised her face to look at him. “Was that you who touched my cheek?It must have been…”

“Last year? Yes, it was! Did you really feel it?” She touched her cheek now, smooth and unwrinkled as unbroken snow. “I knew it.” She whispered. "I was sat in my chair... They all said it was a phantom sensation, but I knew..." He smiled at her mischeiviously.

"Couldn't help myself."

Others had begun to join them now, some were couples, some were entire families, and some were just there on their own. Almost all of them left the graveyard as soon as they came, disappearing into the dimly lit streets. It was only Jim and Marie that remained on the bench where they were. “I think it’s just our lot that comes to us you know.” Jim said. “Us and our traditions eh? I’ve not seen any other families come and visit on Halloween.” His eyes became wistful. “It’s so nice to see them.”

“Do you think Richard will cry?” Marie asked. Jim nodded.

“He didn’t last year, but I think he will this year.”

“Bless him, I hope he doesn’t. If he goes, I’ll go.” She said. Jim squeezed her arm.

“He knows we’re always here for him.” He turned away and leaned forward. “Oh, don’t look now!” He pointed to a small cluster of figures that approached behind one of the walls. “Oh, the littles!” Marie said, craning her neck. “Not so little now.” Added Jim, getting to his feet. “Come on, let’s go see them.”

He led the way, but Marie soon caught up and walked side by side with him as three figures came through the great arch of iron and crossed the grass toward them. “Oh, look at Sarah. Oh, and he brought the baby! Look he’s wearing it!” Jim cooed as they drew closer.

“This is the first time I haven’t come with them.” Marie murmured worriedly. Jim turned and took her hand. “He’ll be fine, don’t worry. He’s got Ross to look after him.” They watched as a little girl followed by two men picked their way across the graveyard till, they stood before them. The girl had short tousled black hair and was dressed up as a witch. Ross was stout with a kind face and black beard whereas Richard, who wore the baby, was tall with long hair and his father’s features.

“You look more like your father every year Richard.” Marie said softly, looking up at his face.

“A lot taller than me though,” Jim added.

“Hi Dad.” Richard began, nodding in their direction. He paused before the next bit. “Hello Mum.” Richard sucked in a breath between his teeth and exhaled, placing both hands on the baby, strapped to his chest and exhaling slowly. Ross stepped forward and gripped his arm. Richard nodded to him and tried to smile. “Oh Richard,” Marie whispered tearfully. Jim squeezed her hand, though he clearly felt it too. “It’s alright darling. He’s alright.” Ross turned to the little girl, who was looking up at her father, and held out a bunch of carnations and tulips.

“Here Sweetie. Give your Nan and Gramps their flowers.” The girl took the flowers and gently laid them down on the ground. “’der you go grampy nanny! Sleep well!” She turned back to Ross and Richard. “Can we go to Danny’s house now?”

Ross reached out his hand to her. “Let’s let your Dad spend some time first.” He leant in and kissed Richard gently on the cheek. “We’ll be just by the trees.” Richard quietly nodded his thanks, and his husband and daughter departed. He stood there looking down on them for a good long while not saying anything. It occurred to Marie that she was just staring too, when she took a tentative step forward. “He can’t hear me, can he?” Jim shook his head and came forward too.

“No, he can’t hear you.” He took her hand, then reached toward Richard. “But he can feel you.”

For just a moment, a breath, a flash of a feeling, Richard felt a hand in each of his. The three stood in a distant circle, holding each other where time was at its weakest. Richard laid his hand once again on the back of the sleeping baby on his breast. “Thanks for everything Mum. Look after her Dad.” Jim gave a wobbly smile.

“I will son,” He croaked. “I will.” Richard took a step back and they all let go. He made the sign of the cross, and then with one last glance at the gravestones, re-joined his family.

Marie and Jim watched them go, Jim dabbing his eyes with his sleeve. “I knew he would,” He grumbled. “I knew he would when we were both gone.” This time Marie squeezed his hand.

“What are you like?” He laughed between tears,

“Bloody hopeless!” She smiled at him warmly. “So, what do you think? Worth the visit?” He asked.

“That was wonderful. Can we do this every year?” Jim sniffed, cleared his throat and nodded.

“Yup! Halloween’s the best time for it. Oh bugger!” He cursed slapping his forehead. “I didn’t catch the name of the baby! I knew they were having one last year and I didn’t catch its flipping name.”

“Ah, that I do remember.” Marie said smiling, as they began to drift away.

“What was it?” He asked.

“Jamie-Marie.” She said. Jim smiled softly,

“Bloody hell, poor kid.” She floated close to place her head on his chest.

“I missed you Jim.” He lowered his face and kissed her brow, as they became memories.

“I missed you too my Darling.”

October 29, 2020 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.