0 comments

Holiday

Silver grey drops of water crashed against my window. It had been raining for four days and nights. The skies were streaked with dark endless clouds and the streets were running with dark streams. The coursing cars drove headlong into undaunting pools. Only one poor fool with a black umbrella dared to walk the streets. He had to be crazy to go out in this kind of weather.

I sat at the kitchen table, deciding what to cook for dinner. My options were thin.  I needed to go to the grocery store, but I was not excited about venturing into the dismal storm. I looked into my cupboards and refrigerator, searching for something edible. At this rate, it would be another meal of peanut butter and crackers with a side of popcorn for dessert. I hoped, beyond hope, that tomorrow would bring forth a ray of sunshine.

As I pondered what I should do with my evening, I heard a knock on my front door. At first, I thought I was imagining things, but then I heard it again. I had no idea who it could be. No one that I knew would be out in this mess. I strolled toward my bay window and looked out. Standing on my porch was the postman with a large black umbrella. So, he was the fool who was roaming the streets in the rain. It made sense now. I unlocked my door and opened it.

“Good evening, Ms. Adams. I’m sorry to disturb you, but I have a registered letter for you.”

“Thank you.” I responded as I took the letter from his hand and signed his document. “You’re out rather late this evening, aren’t you?”

“Yes, ma’am. This weather makes it extremely difficult to deliver the mail, but we do what we have to do. You know our motto, neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night…”

“Well, thank you for bringing this to me. I truly appreciate it.” I answered.

“It must be important if its registered.” He commented.

“I would think so.” I replied. “I better open it soon.”

 “Well, I hope its good news for you.” he said, then he turned to finish his route. 

I closed the door behind me and stared at the envelope. I didn’t recognize the return address, yet it did sound familiar, as if I had heard the name from long, long ago. Carefully, I tore the side open, then slowly pulled out the letter. The stationary was antique with a faint aroma of old roses and lost perfume. Each word had been handwritten in a faded blue ink.

My dearest Miss Adams,

You are cordially invited to the grand opening of my hotel. It has been many years since we last spoke, but I never forgot the sweet, kind words that you bestowed upon me. I would be honored if you would be my guest for the evening on Halloween. All accommodations will be provided for you during this private celebration of my newest endeavor. My chauffeur will arrive at your house at 7pm on October 31 and bring you back home after breakfast the following day. I sincerely hope that you will accept my invitation and grace me with your presence for a most remarkable night.

Until Tomorrow,

Mrs. Greta Filmore

I looked at the date on the outside of the envelope. This was addressed yesterday, October 30, 2018. Today was actually Halloween and I had exactly one hour until the driver would be here. I wasn’t sure what to do. In a moment’s panic, I ran upstairs to my bedroom to find an overnight bag to pack. I threw in my nightgown with a few toiletries and stuffed in a shirt and pants for tomorrow morning. I couldn’t be seen in the same clothes that I wore the night before. Then I realized I needed to change my clothes for the actual event. A sweatshirt with jeans did not seem appropriate. Scavenging through my closet, I found a lovely blue dress I once wore to a funeral. I quickly put it on, applied some make-up, and brushed my hair. By the time I gathered all my essentials, the driver was knocking on my front door.

He was an elderly man, dressed in a tuxedo, with a nice smile and bright blue eyes. He packed my bag in the trunk, and held the car door open for me, all while holding a giant umbrella. The ride to the hotel was quiet, despite the questions I kept asking him. I tried my best to remember who the hostess was. The name sounded familiar, but I couldn’t quite place it.

As he drove, it was clear we were headed to the other side of town. I had visited this neighborhood years ago when searching for a new place to live. The houses were old and filled with charm and grace. I longed to own one someday. My nervousness subsided as we turned into a long driveway and I saw the luxurious building that emerged ahead.  At that moment, the skies opened up and a hint of moonlight gleamed over the rooftop. 

It was the ultimate Victorian mansion in its glory. A circular porch sported the front of the house, along with pillars and windowsill planters. Two stone lions guarded the front stairs, while the path was lined with ornate streetlights. I felt as if I had walked onto the set of a 1920’s movie. The upper level of the hotel was also fit for outdoor dining with its full porch, encased in marble railings. French windows opened up into the rooms inside. Every bit of woodwork was designed with baroque finishing touches and embossed patterns.

The chauffeur led me into the hotel. I marveled at the glorious flower arrangements which directed me to the front desk. The delicate scent of autumn and roses drifted through the air. I could almost taste the deliciousness of apples and pumpkins as I registered for the evening.

A sweet young man nodded as I passed him my letter. He smiled and gave me an old-fashioned key, labeled with the number, 222.  His nametag read, Boris. I thought it was a strange name for someone so young, but he was very kind and so friendly as he checked me in. I smiled and nodded back at him. Boris then directed me to the ballroom, where the other guests had already arrived.

“Your bag has already been brought to your room by Oscar. Please enjoy yourself in the ballroom with drinks and appetizers. Your hostess, Madame Greta will be down shortly. She loves making a pronounced entrance.” Boris chuckled and confessed lightly. “As she grows older, it takes her a little longer to prepare for any company that comes to visit.”

I smiled at him. “As it should be.”

I wandered through the beautiful arched doorway into a room full of guests and wait staff. The area was spectacular with gilded woodwork and magnificent paintings. I ran my fingers across the elaborate moldings of the fireplace and gazed at the antique pictures displayed. They were obviously family portraits taken when the hostess was younger. I tried to differentiate as to who Greta might be in the pictures, but there were no recent photos to compare.

A lovely short woman with auburn hair approached me as I stood near the buffet table. She had to be at least seventy years old, but she looked much younger. She smiled at me as she placed shrimp cocktails onto her plate.

“Isn’t this lovely? Greta definitely knows how to throw a party. I can’t believe she turned her entire home into a hotel. I love how she redecorated. Everything reflects her true essence. I’m just loving it.”

Before I had the chance to ask her any questions, a tall gentleman in a long tuxedo appeared.

“Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is ready to be served. Please find your seat at the table. Your hostess will join you shortly. Thank you.”

I followed the other guests to the dining hall and to the majestic table set before us. Each place setting was dipped in gold and the utensils appeared to be the same. I found my seat with a handwritten place marker next to the water glass. The red-haired woman I met before sat next to me on the left, and a dashing younger man with dark black hair sat to my right.

I browsed at their nametags then waited for the right moment to introduce myself. I didn’t have to wait long before the gentleman began.

“Hello.” He said. “As you can see from my marker, I’m Garrett.”

“I’m Alexa.” I smiled at him. “It’s very nice to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine.” He nodded. “Are you a close friend of Greta’s? I don’t think we’ve met before.”

I shook my head. “Honestly, I’m not sure. I can’t seem to remember where I know her from. But she sent me this invitation and I want to thank her for thinking of me. It’s a beautiful hotel.”

Garrett nodded again. “Greta is an incredible woman with a heart of everlasting compassion. I met her during a terrible time of my life, and she gave me strength and courage to carry on. I’m so happy for her and this new adventure she has begun. I’m sure once you see her, you’ll remember. She’s a difficult woman to forget.”

“I’m sure I will.” I admitted.

The woman to my left was also a friend of Greta’s. Her name was April. Her son, Jay, was also invited. He was seated to her left.

“Greta and I go way back.” April divulged. “She was there when my son was born. I can’t believe how time has passed so quickly. It seems as though it was just yesterday. I’m so happy for Greta. She always wanted to own a hotel. She loves making people feel special. This has been a dream come true for her.”

“She must have been planning this for a long time then.” I wondered. “Everything is so perfect and extravagant. This neighborhood alone is so prestigious.”

“Oh, she has lived here for most of her life. It was her family home. Then when her husband died, she inherited his fortune. She’s been such a dear. She uses all her resources to help others in their times of need.”

I was amazed. Why couldn’t I remember this woman?

The tall gentleman in the tuxedo approached us once more.

“Madame Greta Fillmore.” He announced.

We all stood up in the presence of our hostess.

A petite woman wearing a long purple and gold evening dress entered the room. She wore a beautiful gold heart necklace with earrings to match. Her silver white hair was pulled into a delicate bun on the top of her head and kept in place with a small tiara. Her fair skin was wrinkled, but her daring blue eyes sparkled. She smiled at each of us before taking her seat at the head of the table.

“Please be seated everyone. You don’t have to stand on my account.” The tall gentleman pulled her chair out for her. “Thank you, Max. You are such a treasure.”

“Anything for you, Ms. Greta.” He nodded and then stepped back.

We all took our seats.

“I want to thank each and every one of you for attending my gala tonight. I know it was short notice, but if you know me, I like to be spontaneous. I hope you have been enjoying your time here. I want each and every one of you to feel exceptional, just as you are to me. Some of you I have known my entire life, and others I have met upon particular occasions. Each of you, however, plays an important part of this night. As it is Halloween, I have made extra special arrangements for you. Please indulge me as I have some fun too. It is said that the veil between the spiritual and the real world are thinnest tonight, so I hope you treat yourself to both.”  

With that, assorted waiters and waitresses began bringing in bowls and plates of scintillating foods. There was rich and creamy pumpkin soup, roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. I had my choice of leg of lamb or prime rib. And the tray of desserts left me breathless.  I laughed at myself that I was just home a few hours before trying to make a meal out of peanut butter and crackers. This was definitely a treat for me.

Once dinner was finished, we all gathered back into the grand ballroom to mingle and play games. Greta had furnished us with apples for bobbing, and donut eating races. In the corner were assorted disguises for every guest to attempt, while Max took vintage pictures with an antique camera. Garrett and I tagged team as a king and queen sitting on a throne. I was having so much fun. Yet I had still no recollection of Greta.

As the night wore on, I began to feel the excitement drift off and I was ready for bed. I sincerely wanted to spend time with Greta so I could thank her and discover when we had met before. She was an exceptional woman and she was still going strong long after midnight. As my eyes started to draw to a close, I ventured up the stairwell to my room. I said goodnight to my new friends and to Boris, who was still behind the desk. 

My room was the first one on the right. It was a dream from another reality. The master bed was big and comfortable. The headboard could have been designed by DaVinci, himself. I quickly washed up, changed clothing and climbed under the golden duvet. Nestling my head upon the fluffy pillows, I immediately fell asleep to the patter of rain upon the roof. 

I awoke to the sound of knocking upon my door. 

“Breakfast will be served in thirty minutes, ma’am. Ms. Greta gladly awaits for your company in the dining room.” Max insisted.

“Thank you.” I answered.

I hopped out of bed and quickly showered and changed. I hoped I was dressed appropriately for our meal.

As I returned to the dining hall, I noticed it was very quiet. I expected all the other guests to be lingering about and chatting. Boris smiled at me again and opened the door for me to enter.

Sitting alone, at the head of the table, was Greta. Max stood beside my chair, patiently waiting to seat me.

“Good morning, dear one.” Greta greeted me. “Did you sleep well?”

I couldn’t help but smile. “Yes, I did. It was like I was sleeping in a castle with all the comforts of royalty. Did you sleep well?”

Greta laughed. “I absolutely did. Thank you for asking. Not many people do, but you always were the kindest child.”

I wanted to immediately jump in with all kinds of questions, but Greta stopped me.

“I am so glad you accepted my invitation. My heart always remembered you from the first time we met. Do you remember when that was?”

I lowered my eyes in defeat. “I’m sorry, but I don’t. I have been trying to, but I’m at a loss.”

Greta laughed again. “Don’t worry, child. It was a long time ago. I was sitting in a chair, facing out a window at the hospital and you were visiting your grandmother. Your mother was talking to the doctors, while you came to sit across from me.”

The memories started to flood. My grandmother was dying, and I was visiting her for the last time. It was a difficult time for all of us.

Greta continued. “As we sat there, you asked me why I was in the hospital. I told you I was very sick and couldn’t live at home anymore. You nodded and touched my hand. We talked for a little bit more, and then you said something I never forgot. You told me that every day comes with its own gifts. All we have to do is untie the ribbons.”

I nodded as I remembered. “My grandmother told me that before she passed away. I guess it was all I knew to say.”

Greta patted my arm. “Your words rang true for me. From that day on, I looked at each day with new eyes. I spoke kinder to every person I met and vowed to make life easier for anyone who needed help.”

“Obviously, you did that. Everyone I met here has been changed by you. And this hotel is remarkable.”

“All because of you, my dear. You have been the stone to make the water ripple. I want you to know how important you have been in my life.”

“I just want to thank you for inviting me. It has been extraordinary.”

“It’s my pleasure. Now if you’ll excuse me. I have the other guests to attend to. Max will see you to the car. Please remember those kind words and live them to the fullest, Alexa. Your grandmother spoke in wisdom.”

I smiled. Max walked me to the car where the chauffeur waited for me again. As I waited for him to put my luggage in the trunk, I noticed a large cement block off to the corner of the hotel. I hadn’t seen it before, but then again, it was raining when I came last night. I wandered over to it and saw a large box statue with its ribbons untied. On it was written,

 Greta Fillmore. Born October 31, 1908, died October 31, 1998.  She celebrated life like every day was her birthday. Let us do the same.





November 01, 2019 01:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.