2 comments

LGBTQ+ Fiction Romance

Emma pulled on freshly cleaned pants, checked her hair in the mirror again, popped out her earrings and tried on the blue ones.  Curse these people I call friends, she thought, why are they so determined I meet new people.  Picking up her book, the smooth worn surface under her fingers, she tucked it away in her purse and stopped, ears tuned for noise.  Detecting only some music a few rooms over, she poked her head out into the kitchen.  Looking around she saw no one else and smiled.  Swiftly tiptoeing along, she quietly approached the front door.  

As she progressed down the hall, thumping beats pounding through a speaker met her as she passed one room.  Passing the second door, she quickly slipped on her shoes.  A slight noise caused Emma to whip around.  There stood her roommate Jillian.  Damn, so close.  

“Nice try Emma, you can’t sneak off to your date without me checking you over!” Jillian exclaimed her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

“I’m going to be late,” Emma tried eyeing the door.

“You’ve never been late a day in your life girl!  You’re half an hour early and I bet twenty bucks that you have a book in that purse.  Come in quick, you wouldn’t have this date if it wasn’t for me.”

“I don’t want this date,” Emma replied as she took a deep breath and entered the room.

“I know girl, but it’s been years since you’ve been on a date and all the dating sites now are rocking!  It’s so easy to meet people.”   Jillian’s eyes scanned her friend, inspecting every nook and cranny as she spoke, “This Max dude sounds great, although his lack of a picture is concerning.  If you need a bailout you can always message me and I’ll come save you.”.  

A small smile spread on Emma’s face, “I would hope so as you’re the one who made the account and set this up.”

“Well, I like your look girl.  Lets just add some perfume.”

Before Emma could get in a word she felt a cold spray against her wrist as a flowery scent ballooned out, crawling up her nostrils.  Wriggling her nose, Emma replied, “Thanks, can I go now?”

Jillian eyed her prize horse in a satisfying way.  “Go get ‘em tiger!”

***

Max spent all afternoon trying on different combinations, trying to find a casual look.  Finally pulling on a campus hoodie and some stiff jeans, Max walked out before another wardrobe option could be considered.  

The air was crisp out, calling forth a chilled red to the cheeks and nose.  Walking across campus, it didn’t take long to reach the bar in the center, where Max reached comfortably early.  Music was the first sensation to hit upon entry followed quickly by warmth.  The musician with his guitar sat off in the corner, soft acoustical notes danced through the air.  Max was pleased with the decision on location.  Scanning the room, there were several full groups of tables but at the back sat a lone figure.  She was here, a perfect copy of her picture.  Heart beating hard like a drum, Max debated what to do.  Noticing she was occupied with a book, a quick detour to the bar seemed a good option.

“Hey Dan, pour me a quick shot of vodka would you,” Max said

“You look rather flush today,” Dan replied as he poured.

“I haven’t been out on a date in forever, all the girls I’ve met on dating sites have been major duds and it’s not like it's easy to just run into people these days and ask them out.”

Dan smiled, “Well, hope this one is different.  I assume I’ll see you and the team tomorrow after the game?”

“Just like every other game,” Max replied, the knot in the stomach easing in the familiar.

Placing a small glass down in front of Max, Dan said, “Here, get on over there now.”  Tilting the glass up, the burning raced down the throat.  Max couldn’t help but squinch.

As Max placed down the glass, she turned to the booth in the back corner, her feet taking her there on their own.  She sat down across from the girl whose name was Emma and was suddenly void of words.  Emma seemed to realize someone was on the bench across from her and peeked over her book.  Emma’s eyes were wide circles with brown eyes that seemed at the same time to be green.  Brown hair tied up in a bun on her head, bangs effortlessly hanging over her eyes, and a soft tease of a flowery scent floated in the air.  Max’s breath was caught and her eyes frozen on these new hazel eyes.  A few moments passed as they looked at each other.  Finally, some words surfaced and Max said, “Hi, it’s nice to meet you.  What book are you reading?”

Emma looked up at the person in the booth with her and blinked several times.  Slowly Emma pulled her head out of the world of a book and brought it back to her physical world.  The only thought in her mind was that this was definitely a chick.  A chick with eyes of a grey storm cloud eyes curtained by sandy hair, the kind that goes blonde with the sun.

“I’m sorry, I’m waiting for someone named Max,” replied Emma.

“I am Max,” replied the girl, who suddenly looked down fidgeting with her sweater pocket zippers.

“Oh!” Emma managed, her eyebrows now hiding under her bangs.  “You’re Max.  You just had a picture of a dog on your profile.”

Max smiled suddenly, “I forgot about that!  Made the account a while ago and haven’t used it for some time.”

“Well then…” Emma trailed off.  Deciding to answer the original question, she said, “I’m reading Pride and Prejudice.”

“That’s a fun story.  A bit cheesy for me most days, but it pulls off a few fun snarky lines,” Max said as she traced the edges of the girl's lips with her eyes.  Emma didn’t seem to notice but leaned forward at the conversation of books.

“What types of books do you read?” Emma asked.

“I’m a sucker for the popular, fast paced books.  I like reading but need some pace to pull me along,” Max replied.  

The two women sat leaning towards the other, in heavy discussion over the books Max read recently.  Friendly banter flourished up as they discussed their opinions of certain characters.  Emma hadn’t really sat with someone new in a while, she had forgotten the thrill of different discussions.  Max was one of those people who liked to hold eye contact which kept Emma’s cheeks rosy as a stubborn bashful smile refused to leave her face.

Finding a break in the flow of words, Max asked, ”Do you want a drink?  I was planning on a beer and maybe a snack.”

Emma bit her lip as she looked up and pondered.  “I’ll have whatever beer you’re having and maybe some nachos?” Emma suggested bringing her gaze back down.

“Coming right up,” Max said standing up, a flurry of emotions pulsing through her.

Emma checked her phone and saw a message from Jillian.  Is he a looker?  You never really know when they don’t share any of the goods!  Her current situation seemed to pour into her mind, drowning out her excitement.  She was meant to be on a date.  Max had known who she was, had seemed to be expecting a girl.  Sudden heat rose up to her cheeks as her mind placed the puzzle pieces together.  At the thought of telling Max, her stomach twisted painfully.  Her history of dating didn’t involve women, even if there wasn’t much of a history there.  She could tell if she found a woman attractive but wasn’t sure what kind of attraction it was.

Max walked up to the bar and ordered their drinks and food.  Dan wore a cheeky grin on his face as he eyed her, standing there, watching her date.  Placing the two beers down, he asked, “So...  Seems to be going decently.  I mean, neither of you have left yet.”

“I know,” Max said, “She’s different.  She’s not overly girly but also isn’t tom boyish,” Max’s eyes traced her outline as she drifted off, pondering this new person, trying not to let her hopes go flying off like fluttering birds.

“Well, get on back over there and see if she thinks the same,” teased Dan, pushing over a plate of nachos from the kitchen.  Warm cheese aroma brought floods to her mouth as she carried the items over awkwardly.  

Sitting down, Max looked up at Emma and saw that she was looking down with cheeks red as a tomato.  Max’s stomach plummeted, the thumps of dead birds of hope plunking on the floor around her.  Sliding over one of the beers, Max said, “Hope you like loggers.”

Emma looked up.  Max thought of a mouse caught in the middle of a room when the lights flicked on, desperate to escape.  Looking at her with concern, Max tried, “You okay?”  An idea popping into her head, Max looked very seriously over and asked, “Don’t tell me you’re a porter type of girl?”

A sudden smile split Emma’s face.  Max watched as the edges of her eyes squished and her lips parted.  What started as a smile, grew into a chuckle, and suddenly a laugh burst from the slender girl.  The notes of music drifted along until slowly, the moment faded, as a leaf falling from a tree will make its way to the ground.  Emma wiped the wetness leaking from her eyes and looked up at Max and said, “It’s just…”  Emma stared at the table, suddenly sad, eyes darting around looking for helpful words.

Max cut into her pensive state, “It’s okay.”  Emma looked up and Max continued, “It’s okay if you aren’t sure about me.  Tends to take people a bit to come around on me.  Let’s just get to know each other, see how we get along, and go from there.  No pressure.”  

Emma smiled, nodded her head, and asked what she was studying.  Their conversations flowed smoothly, two people new to each other trying out a dance.  One moving with the other, their words entangled them together until the moment drowned out the other noises and the room faded away.  Time seemed to stop as their words twirled them around with the other.  

Some time later, out of the haze, came Dan with fresh cold beers.  Max graciously took hers, pressed the cold glass to her lips and drank.  This wasn’t the evening she had expected.

Emma felt the relief of the cold drink as she brushed away a light sweat.  Taking off her sweater she looked around in surprise at how many other bodies were in the bar now.  Reaching over for another chip, she accidentally brushed Max’s hand.  Sudden fire flared up her arm to her chest.  Her hand had frozen, stretched out over the table as her electrified thoughts fought to pull back to the present.  Emma looked over at Max who was watching her.  Max stretched out her hand and their fingers brushed together again.  Tingling raced along Emma as she became very aware of her breathing.

A heavy crash in the kitchen made both girls jump, snapping them out of the moment.  Heart hammering on the inside of her chest, Emma looked at her phone and realized it was well past the time she typically went to bed.  

“Wow!  It’s really late!  I have class in the morning,” Emma said, suddenly aware she yearned for the comfort of her room.  

“Oh wow, it is late,” Max replied.  “I really enjoyed tonight,” Max said with a smile, “I would really like to see you again for some more conversations if you’re up for it.”

Emma looked at the girl across from her.  Her small nose and long eyelashes.  Traced along the few freckles that speckled the cheeks and thought.  She had enjoyed herself.  She smiled and replied, “I could be convinced for some more conversations.”  

This first chapter in a new book seemed interesting enough to try the next one and see where it might take her.

February 19, 2021 19:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emily Chalkley
12:57 Feb 26, 2021

Awesome

Reply

Sam Ackman
13:03 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.