1 comment

Science Fiction Historical Fiction

    “I’m gonna have to go back” Dr. Shimada said.

    “What do you mean?” Tim said in confusion.

    “I mean that’s the only option, the world isn’t some vast, beautiful world to explore anymore. As you know, nearly half of the world’s landmass has become submerged in the last century. The oceans are chock full of plastic, and biodiversity is as low as it’s ever been. I want to spend my remaining days on a tropical island, having adventures and living a rugged pragmatic existence.  If i’m gonna get that, then i gotta go back.”

    Dr. Shimada was a man who knew damn near everything about the real and basic structures of the world. He could talk endlessly about the quantum structure of the universe, about the spin of electrons and how it inferred a multiverse. His favorite topic however, was time dilation, where in anything approaching the speed of light would experience a slowing of the flow of time. In classic terms someone going 80% the speed of light would experience only 3/5ths as much time as someone at relative rest. And when you hit 100% light speed time stops altogether.  While generally considered impossible, it was reasoned that a particle known as tachyons could travel faster than the speed of light, and would therefore actually travel backwards in time. Dr. Shimada knew that the EPR phenomenon hinted toward faster than light phenomenon, he was just going to have to make it happen sooner, rather than later.

“Ok Tim, throw the switch.”

The laboratory became quite loud, it wasn’t as flashy as one might imagine a Dr. Frankenstein or a Doc Brown experiment. The result however made Dr. Shimada feel like a child seeing an amazing card trick for the first time.  He knew what he saw before his eyes, but he could hardly believe it. The particle accelerator had worked, and had produced results in where, the detector actually received readings before the machine had started. With unprecedented science at hand Dr. Shimada started planning his retirement. 

    “Bermuda?” Tim suggested.

    “No, I’m looking for adventure, excitement. I want to know that wherever I go there will be an air of danger. I have spent my life buried in books, I want to really live dammit.” Dr. Shimada slammed his fist on the desk startling Tim. “Sorry Tim, I didn’t mean to yell.” 

    “It’s fine sir, really.”

    “I think it’s time to retire for the night, we’ve had a lot of excitement today. Meet me here tomorrow. Perhaps the answer will become clear after a good night's sleep.”

    “I think this may be it Tim.” Dr. Shimada said, pointing to a passage in his book. “Hiroo Onoda, a soldier of the second world war, lived in the mountains of Lubang Island from 1945 to 1974. He and two other soldiers thought the war was still going.” he slapped his knee in amazement.

    “1974? How did they not know the war was over?”

    “Well Tim, this was a time of heavy propaganda, he saw pamphlets declaring the end of the war as early as 1945, but figured it was just a lie to get them to surrender.”

    “1945? Isn’t that awfully far back Doc? You really want this?” Tim asked incredulously. “It seems to me like you would enjoy it for a day or so, but long term I really don’t know.” Tim looked at the Dr. awaiting a tongue thrashing for over stepping his bounds. 

    “Are you kidding? 1945 was the cusp of scientific wonder. Not only will I have an island to enjoy, I can teach mind blowing science to the few other soldiers that are there with me. Giving them deep insight to the universe, oh how rewarding that would be.” Dr. Shimada had an almost nostalgic look on his face. 

“You’re sure about this?” Tim asked shakily. Generally he knew better than to question the Dr. but at this point he knew he would either never see him again because the mission would send him back in time or, he would never see him again because the mission would shred every particle of his being into ribbons. Either way it gave him the gall to ask the question.

“More sure than i’ve ever been.” Dr. Shimada replied. “Thanks for everything Tim, none of this would have been possible without your help.” The Dr. looked as if he were about to cry, but instead he let out a big sigh and clapped his hands together. “ Alright let's fire this thing up.”

Tim double checked his math, and triple checked his good luck charms. He then began entering the numbers into the computer that the Dr. had ordered. The current year being 2175, the target date being 1945. As if that wasn’t enough Tim had to account for the earth being in a different position in the solar system, and the solar system being in a different position in the galaxy, and the galaxy being in a different position in the ever expanding universe. Tim thought he was going to be sick, but as he entered the final set of numbers, and pressed enter, a bright flash of light hit his eyes. Dr. Shimada was gone. A black greasy smudge on the floor was the only thing that remained in the tachyon chamber where he had stood.

    “Oh God, I've killed him.” Timothy whispered to himself. He began stroking his beard, thoughts of Dr. Shimada’s atoms being shredded across space and time filled his mind. It’s one thing to die, it’s another to be spaghettified across 1945 and 2175 atom by atom. The absolute horror he must have felt. Having Tachyons rip you to bits, the pain ending before it begins, a twisted backwards mindfuck of an ending to such an amazing life. Tim had tears streaming down his face when he heard the buzzing of the door bell.

    “Oh shit, it’s the feds.” Tim thought. “They know what we did, they know we fucked up the time space continuum.” Tim was starting to hyperventilate. The buzzer rang again and Tim looked at the security screen. A man in a black suit stood at the door holding an envelope. 

    “Well that’s not what I was expecting.” Tim pressed the button for the intercom.

    “Can I help you sir? He inquired.

    “I’m looking for a Timothy Halbrand.” The man said.

    “For what purpose?” Tim responded not wanting to expose himself.

    “Look pal I got a letter here that was received in January of 1950 by the pinkerton detective agency and has been held under secrecy ever since, and was supposed to be delivered on this date to this location to a Mr. Timothy Halbrand. So Is he here or not, I got other places to be son.”

    Tim rushed to the door and flung it open. “Yeah, I’m Halbrand I’ll take the letter.”

The man handed the letter over, turned around and briskly walked back to his vehicle. Tim closed the door slowly, letting his gaze drink in all the details of the envelope. It was yellowed with age and had a faded symbol in the corner. Underneath the symbol written small was one word “Shimada” Tim’s heart pounded as he hastily tore the envelope open. Inside was a single folded sheet of rough handmade rice paper. He unfolded it and began to read.

    Tim,

    We’ve done it. I arrived safely on the island at the exact time that we planned, and have been living happily with three other soldiers. Second Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda, Private Yuichi Akatsu, and Private First Class Kinshichi Kozuka. Due to the anti ageing technology of our time I am able to pass myself off as a man of roughly 30 years old. I have convinced my comrades that I am Corporal Shoichi Shimada, just another stranded soldier like them. Private Akatsu has decided to leave the group, and so I have given him this letter with strict orders to ensure it finds its way to you. I love it here Tim, everyday is a new adventure. The outside world keeps trying to get us to leave, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up my paradise. Thanks again for everything, take heart in knowing that I have finally found my happy place.

All the best,

Cpl. Dr. Shoichi Shimada

    A single tear landed on the page as a smile formed on Tim’s face. He took a seat at the table where he and the Dr. had spent countless hours over the years. On the table was the book that had sparked the idea of going to that island. No Surrender : My Thirty Year War by Hiroo Onoda. Tim picked it up and flipped through the pages. At that moment his smile faded as he read a passage. “Shimada was shot in the leg during a shoot-out with local fishermen in June 1953, after which Onoda nursed him back to health. On 7 May 1954, Shimada was killed by a shot fired by a search party looking for the men.” Tim was fighting back tears as he put the book down. 

    “Well Doc, you certainly found that air of danger you were looking for.”

February 28, 2021 01:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nina Chyll
23:58 Mar 08, 2021

At the beginning, I reckon it’d be good to find ways to get around the expository dialogue. If a sentence starts with “as you know”, it puts the reader on high alert for unnatural conversation. And it is - I feel it’d read much better if the facts about the new world were woven into the narrative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.