2 comments

Speculative Fiction Friendship

There was a time when they were all together on a semi-regular basis, meeting up two or three times a week. It wasn't a grand home, the lights weren't always working, paint was chipped on the stairs, the water was never warm and the room was seldom hot.


As battered as it was the old building had enough space for all of them and what's more it held memories. Dust, used chewing gum under the benches, a funky smell, and freedom. It was there that Emily was first able to utter her correct pronouns without fear of rejection. At the spot just past the DJ booth Jai smiled with pride after her first transition on roller skates without falling over, Emily gave her a congratulatory punch on the arm as their coach Flame cheered.


It was also the sight of a few tears and screams, you can't do a contact sport without breaking a few legs, fingers, ankles... Breaking a bone can do one of two things to a person, either they get upset and refuse to ever do the offending activity again or they decide it was just bad luck, coming back as soon as they are physically able. Many of the people who flocked there were among the latter. Yes, they had broken a bone but they missed their roller derby family and didn't want to stay away.


Yet, with the apocalypse looming all around there was no place for them to play. At first they were told just to stay away if they weren't feeling well or if they had a cold, then they were instructed to stop altogether. In their seperate homes they sank down and despaired, Smash sat on the stairs hugging her knees to her legs and cried, Flame put on her trainers then ran for miles while Jai sat on her sofa with a tub of ice cream.


In the weeks that came they messaged each other to reminisce about the good old days, some sent each other parcels and they talked on their computers. There was hope that one day they would get back together to fly around the track, smacking each other into the stratosphere then picking them back up again with a smile and a hug.


There were those who left their wheels where they lay, gathering dust in the corner, incapable of picking them up without crying. It was hard for Emily after just starting to get to know people and picking up skills, to suddenly be apart, not being able to reach out for guidance. Even with friends a touch of a button away it wasn't the same.


Others tried to fill the time they once spent together with exercise, who could tell if they were crying if they were sweating enough? It's hard to think about anything else when your legs are burning or your heart is beating faster than a hyperactive blue hedgehog who has just consumed an energy drink.


They sought out glimpses of each other in the wilds of supermarkets and parks, sometimes waving across quiet streets. Conversations were stolen when they could be but were gone all too fast.


Until one day after over a year of waiting and dreaming there was a ray of light. The apocalypse had started to burn itself out, it was getting safer out there with vaccines being developed and strategies in place. Hope started to return and their home opened it's scratched doors once more.


At first they waited in the carpark, shuffling anxiously from foot to foot unsure and a little scared to be meeting up as a group again. Flame was the first to speak "I've bloody missed you all!" The smile from under her mask spreading and showing on the rest of her face before she went and gave out massive bear hugs to each person. Most leaned into them, they'd missed this a few froze until she passed them by. This opened the flood gates of declarations of love and desire to get back to hitting each other returned. There were gleams in the eyes of a few people that showed a shared mischief, half of the fun of playing was hitting their friends; in a safe and controlled manner obviously. They weren't going to suddenly punch each other in the face or knee them in the womb... that would be against the rules! Oh, and possibly a little brutal come to think of it.


When it was time to go in the snaked up the stairs with the kit bags in tow. The smell hadn't improved whilst they were away but they didn't care, all that they wanted was to catch up with their friends, glide around on their wheels and play together. They made a lot of noise as they kitted up, talking about their victories as they strapped on their knee pads, losses as they tied their skates and desires whilst fumbling for their mouthguards.


Finally they were ready and rolled out of the changing room, past the benches and on to the skating rink; depositing drinks at the side, sweets and snacks were placed in the centre with the rest of the gear. Some glided effortlessly around looking like they hadn't missed a single training session, whilst others stumbled and tripped as they found their muscles again. It took a moment for those who had beeing skating effortlessly to notice but they went back to help their struggling siblings.


A few tears fell as people realised that they weren't as good as they had remembered or when they slipped on to the rink. "Falling is learning" another skater would remind them with a friendly smile and offer an encouraging hand to get back up. Normally they woud nod, taking the hand but sometimes they brushed it away choosing to let the tears run their course.


After an hour of warm ups, drills and spills they decided to take a break. All of them descended on the centre circle, sitting near to each other they feasted on sweets and snacks. "Ah no it's been 'ard, not jus' today bu fer the las' year..." Smash started before brushing some crumbs from her chest "wiv lost a few un us an ad a lorra fink about, ah reight prad av all ah yew! T'wert easy comin' back bu yer did it neway." She raised her waterbottle up to the people sat around her "eres to us! Bog Witches furever!"

"Bog Witches forever!" The rest cheered raising their bottles in a faux toast. Most of them smiled, the room was cold and they were red and sweaty but in that moment they couldn't imagine being anywhere else.


When the snacks were consumed they got back up to train together, practicing all of their legion of skills from standing on one leg to hip checking jammers over the line. There was sweating and swearing aplenty but the next two hours passed like a much longed for holiday. At the end when they finished there were bruises to speculate about, compliments to give, as well as the obligatory stinky wet hugs. As helmets were peeled from dripping heads they reminisced, when they dragged the malodourous wristguards from their arms they joked. Then, when their bags were packed and stray belongings hunted down, they put on their shoes; talking as they went.


It had been a long break but they felt as if little had changed. When they parted at the door each skater, referee, coach and official smiled vowing to return again soon. It might not have been a house but this building with all it's flaws was this mismatched families home full of hugs and shoves, tears and smiles.

February 03, 2021 10:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Scott Skinner
15:23 Feb 06, 2021

A story about players finding familiarity after the pandemic through a game of roller derby. In the beginning when you describe the building, it doesn’t strike me as a roller rink, I thought it was a building. Consider making this clearer to frame the world clearly from the get go. There was some great description in here. I found this line particularly funny, “who could tell if they were crying if they were sweating enough?” There were some small errors I came across which slowed down the reading. Some are below: The ‘in’ part in th...

Reply

Correen Robinson
15:39 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks for this Scott! Your observations will help with future story writing and editing this piece. It's good to have a reminder to slow down and not just hit submit after writing a story. I forgot to proof read this one because I just wasn't sure what to write this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.