0 comments

Drama Sad

You're lying, Hannah interrupted. 

You don't do this to someone. You're not allowed to. And because no one deserves to be treated like this. Why are you here now? When me and Mom have gone through everything alone. Where were you then?, she was saying as tears were rolling down her cheeks.

He was crying too. His hair, all messed up and his beard looked like he hadn't shaved for a long time.

I am sorry, he whispered.

N-No you're not, she was speaking in a broken voice. Like every part of her heart has shattered.

**

She was sitting in her backyard, reading a book.

It was a beautiful morning. The rays of morning sun falling on the pool looked breathtaking.

She was just about to get up when someone hugged her from behind.

Hey babe, he said kissing her on the cheek.

Hey, I didn't know you woke up, she said taking his injured hand and turning towards him.

It's okay. Can you please make me breakfast?, he asked.

Yeah, yeah sure. By the way, how's your hand now?, she asked.

It's better I guess, he replied.

Now...I am going to get ready, he said.

Yeah okay! she replied.

She was in the kitchen making breakfast when she heard his phone ringing.

She ignored it, at first. But when it didn't stop ringing, she decided to check, who's the caller.

It was his friend. Lucas.

Hey Noah, Lucas was calling you when you were in the bathroom, she told him when he came for breakfast.

Oh yeah, he told me he wanted some kind of favor, he said dialing the phone number.

Right, she said smiling.

Hey. How are you? she heard him saying.

Oh yeah yeah, I remember, he said.

Isn't he smiling so much?, she thought.

Yeah okay buddy. I'll talk to you later, came his voice from the room.

**

It was 4 o'clock. She was at work, in her office when she got a message from an unknown number.

Her heart beat increased, she suddenly started feeling anxious.

What if it's the girl Noah is cheating with, on me? What if she's gonna tell me the truth about their relationship? What if she asks me to break-up with Noah? And...What if Noah breaks up with me? 

She was questioning herself. Her hands were all sweaty. She didn't want to see the message but she knew she had to.

At last after making up her mind, she pressed the power button and clicked on the message, that was still being shown on the lock screen.

 "Hey. Is it Hannah?" the message said.

"Yeah, who is it?", she wrote with shaking hands.

She then opened one of Noah's picture and then, then nothing around her mattered. It was like she was in a different world, where there is no one, except she herself and Noah.

She was sitting quietly, just staring at his picture when a notification popped from the same unknown number.  

Hannah was so sure that it was some Noah's girlfriend till she clicked on the notification. 

It wasn't some girl. It wasn't some Noah's girlfriend. It was someone else. Someone she didn't even think about. Someone, she never liked to think about.

She wasn't sweating now. She wasn't feeling anxious. She was neither feeling sad nor happy. Actually, she wasn't feeling anything and this was what confused her. She didn't know what she was feeling. Yeah, but she knew, it was something different. Something she has never experienced before.

"Hey Hannah Darling."

 "This is your dad."

 "How are you doing?"

A few words, just a few words made her confused. She didn't know what to say but then she replied.

"How do I know this is you"

"Umm okay, I'll tell you my full name. I am Arthur Brown." replied the person.

I shouldn't trust anyone so quickly, she thought.

"I want your picture" Hannah messaged him.

"Okay. As you wish." he replied.

It really was her Dad.

"Oh it really is you." she messaged.

"Yeah it is.", he replied.

"So, why are you messaging me now? After 17 years?"

The chat continued. Hannah was nervous talking to her Dad after such a long time but she never lacked the confidence.

After talking to her dad for some time, she messaged Noah.

"Hey babe. Just letting you know I'll go to Mom's today."

The rest of her day passed in quite a blur until she met her mom. She told her everything about her Dad.

You know, you don't really have to go meet him if you don't want to, she said.

I just want to let you know that I am with you, no matter what. It's your choice wether you want to go meet him or not. I won't force you, said her Mom.

Yeah Mom, I know that. But I do want to go meet him, Hannah replied.

Honey, I am just afraid. What if he will hurt you again?, said her mother. She looked worried.

But Mom, I think we should give him a chance. Maybe he has changed, said Hannah.

Yeah okay. You should go if you want to.

Don't worry Mom! Your daughter is now a grown-up, said Hannah smiling.

**

She saw a man sitting alone with his back towards the door. The man turned around when she entered the restaurant. It was his Dad. 

She felt dizzy, but thinking that maybe it's because of the nervousness, she kept walking. Her Dad smiled at her, she smiled back. 

**

Her Mom was standing beside her crying, when she opened her eyes. At first, Hannah didn't get where she was but then she realized it was a hospital.

What's wrong Mom? Why am I here? What happened to me? Where is Dad?, Hannah was asking in a weak voice.

Don't talk too much Hann. Just rest here for some time.

But what happened? why am I even here? she asked again.

You fainted. Your Dad brought you here, her Mom replied.

Oh yeah, now I remember. I guess, I fainted because I was too nervous to see Dad. But I don't see him. Where is he?, asked Hannah.

Her mother didn't reply. Instead she started crying more.

What's wrong Mom? Hannah asked.

Nothing, nothing's wrong.

Mom, what is wrong? Is it about me? Because it's okay if it's about me.

Her Mom nodded. Yeah honey, it's about you.

Okay...And what is it? asked Hannah.

You- You have a heart disease. Her Mom once again started crying loudly.

Hannah was shocked. She wasn't expecting this but seeing her Mom like this, wasn't easy either, so she decided to be strong. At least in front of her Mom.

It's Okay Mum. It could be treated. Right? Then what's the problem? Hannah said smiling widely, trying her best.

This is the real problem Hann. It cannot be treated, replied her Mom, still crying.

Hannah was confused and shocked at the same time. From inside, she too wanted to cry as loudly as possible but, but she couldn't. She knew she had to be the strong one. She knew she had to take care of her mother and Noah.

That's still okay Mom, she said at last.

No it's not. It's not okay and it's not as simple as you are taking it. Why don't you understand? You can't be saved. You only have some time to live Hannah. Why are you not taking it seriously?, her Mom was shouting, but Hannah kept smiling. 

Mom, calm down please, Hannah said smiling.

I am, I am sorry. I didn't want to shout at you. You are not well.

Mom look, God's the one to save someone. And wh-what if I have only a few months or years to live. Just focus on, I still have some time to live, so why not rather enjoy it than waste all of it in crying.

She was just explaining all of this to her mother when Noah entered the room. His face was full of tears. 

Hannah's Mom went out of the room. So now, there were only Hannah and Noah left in the room.

Noah was continuously crying. 

Noah, do-don't cry. Please. I can't any of you crying. Please don't cry.

But he cried a little more, every time she said something. Her own voice broke a few times and she knew she couldn't hold her tears anymore.  

They were holding hands and both of them were now crying. The room was now filled with tears, only tears and nothing else. 

**

They were coming back from the monthly visit to the doctor. It was after 5 months, that she weighed only 30Kg. 

Noah and her Mom were in the bakery next to their house. They were buying something. 

Hannah had the house keys so she unlocked the door and went inside by herself.

She saw someone. It was almost like a nightmare. Her Dad was there when she turned on the lights.

What the hell are you doing here? Why are you even here? Hannah shouted with anger.

Once, you could've called me once. But oh no, you were too busy. Right?

I- I was just so scared to talk to you.

Why? Did you think I would bite you? Hannah was still shouting.

I didn't think you'd care if I-

You're lying, Hannah interrupted. 

You don't do this to someone. You're not allowed to. And because no one deserves to be treated like this. And why are you here now? When me and Mom have gone through everything alone. Where were you then?, she was saying as tears were rolling down her cheeks.

He was crying too. His hair, all messed up and his beard looked like he hadn't shaved for a long time.

I am sorry, he whispered.

N-No you're not, she was speaking in a broken voice. Like every part of her heart has shattered.








April 09, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.