0 comments

Happy Fiction Mystery

Who’s There? Boo.

Beware. Beware my friends. Beware of life and its many moods. From its highest and brightest peaks to its lowest and darkest depths we are caught. Caught in its eternal web. Caught forever. So, beware.

The day was gray and gloomy. The big, dark clouds rushed at each other. They clashed together with a great roar and sent bright bolts of lightening crashing down to earth. The wind whipped around the trees causing them to dip to the ground. The rain splashed hard against the windowpane.

Why is it so dark in here? It’s so quiet in here. Wonder where I am? Wonder why I’m alone?

But I’m not alone. Something is touching me. Something is walking on me. Something is making a sound. What is it? What is it?

Wait—hold on. I don’t hear it now. I don’t feel it now. Did it go away or was it ever here? Was it my imagination or was it real? I’m not sure. 

The storm has abated. There’s a breeze swaying the lilies in the garden. It’s gentle and nice. I feel calm. I’m cozy and content and relaxed on my bed. I like watching the leaves fluttering in the breeze .

But oh! Oh! Oh my! There it is again. It’s big and heavy. Now it’s laying on my feet. I don’t like it at all. I can’t wiggle my toes. I can’t kick my feet up. This is getting scary. I think I’m going to cry.

But wait, I won’t cry. I’m okay. Whatever it is, it has moved. I’m free again.

The intruder is still near me. I think it is trying to talk to me. The language is foreign to me. I’ve never heard anything like it.   So how on earth can I connect?   I’ll try using sounds. Perhaps laughter and giggles will send a message. They work well in other situations. The sounds are happy and friendly. Yes, some success achieved. The creature responded with a kind of whining sound but not entirely sad or threatening. More like a “hello” sound. I’ll give it another try. Here goes.

“Ha, ha, ha.” No response. Again then, “ha, ha, ha.” Okay, I got some movement. The creature is laying down beside me. Slowly, very slowly, I reach out and touch it. It’s hairy. In fact, it’s very hairy. Doesn’t seem to mind being touched. Guess it likes people. I sure hope so.

The night is growing darker. I can hear thunder growling across the sky. A bright flash of lightening brightens the room. I catch a glimpse of something hunched down in the corner of the room. It appears to be hiding. Or is it getting ready to pounce on me again? How can I ward it off? I have nothing and no way to stop an attack. The sweat is starting to run down my face. The thunder roars again and the lightening cracks into the room giving it an eerie look. The creature in the corner is getting up and looking at me. Is it evil? Am I in harm’s way? Where are my protectors? Fear grips me. For the first time I know how vulnerable I am. I know how helpless I am. Please, please someone, come and help me.

With a mighty leap the creature is back on the bed. It creeps to my side and screams at me. I can’t move. I can do nothing. I’m paralyzed with fright. My eyes are bulging. My nose is running. I can’t even cry. It slinks towards me. Slowly. Deliberately. 

I lift my hand and try to hit it with my fist. I pound both fists up and down. I keep pounding.

The creature backs away. It stares at me, then starts creeping towards me again. It’s getting closer and closer. I pound my fists on the bed. It hesitates and then starts towards me once more. The tears roll down my face. I am crying but there’s no sound. My throat is dry. My mouth is dry. I kick my feet and pound my fists so hard I hurt myself. The creature backs away.

“Help, help me. Please come and help me,” I try to cry out but still there’s no sound. What’s wrong with my voice? The thunder roars again. The lightening strikes again. The creature leaps into the corner and hides from it. I’m thankful for the only protector around me.

With the calm of the storm, the thing in the corner starts towards me. How long will this go on? Surely someone must think of me and come to help. Someone must realize how frightening the storm is. But no one appears and the danger persists.

The storm is passing, and the night is brighter. The creature in the corner raises its head and stretches it’s body out to full length. It is big and black. I wish it would tire and perhaps sleep. I watch carefully as it lays down on the rug. The sound it makes is as earlier before. Not as loud and not as threatening. Was it threatening or was it alarm? Did I panic without good reason? How do I know.

I lie still, full of anxiety waiting for the next thing to happen. As expected, the creature looks my way and starts towards me. “Don’t panic again” I tell myself. Stay calm and quiet. You may win the day if you do so. The creature is back on the bed beside me. I reach out and gently touch its head. I can pat it in a friendly way and try to keep it happy or even pat it to sleep. The hairy feel isn’t so bad this time. Am I getting used to it? Feels kinda nice. Warm and comfortable. A new sound is coming from it. It’s like a person humming. My fear is changing to pleasure. I no longer feel like a target. The creature inches closer to me still making that odd humming sound. It’s pleasant. Somehow it’s comforting. Have I been foolish to fear?

Suddenly the door swings open. My favorite person enters the room and smiles at me.

“What have we here” she asks. “ How did Cat get in your room? I hope he’s been a good boy.

You don’t know Cat. I hope he didn’t scare you. I think you’re going to like him. He’ll play with you and you’ll both have lots of fun” she said.

“Now it’s time for your dinner. Let’s get cleaned up first and then we’ll all have something nice to eat” she said as she smiled at both Cat and me..

“I love you very much my sweet little baby and I love you too, Cat.”

By: Doreen M. Atkinson

© August 2023

August 08, 2023 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.