15 comments

Drama Western

Pastor Colquhoun and his bevy of assistants had been playing daily to large crowds in Steamboat Creek since the rain arrived three weeks ago. The day I sought refuge from the downpour at his bedraggled venue, I was greeted at the entrance by a stewardess rattling an offertory box. I made an appropriate contribution and entered the packed marquee to encounter the acrid fug of an abattoir’s lairage. The stench of unwashed bodies was so vile that members of the congregation ducked outside now and again, risking a soaking for a lungful of fresh air.

#

Back in 1846, Steamboat Creek attracted itinerant prospectors heading for Stephen’s Pass, via Truckee Meadows, all hoping to cross the Sierra Nevada before winter. The promise of gold and stories of untold riches lured us there from across the continent in our thousands. We were desperate souls to a man and after months of navigating harsh terrain we missed our sweet-hearts even more than the taste of home cooking. 

   Pastor Colquhoun understood human frailties and dispatched his dainty assistants to distract us with coy smiles. I waited with others hoping for a brief moment of attention when his beguiling coterie circulated amongst us, collecting tokens of our appreciation. 

Meanwhile, in return for donations to his righteous cause, Colquhoun prayed for our safe passage over the lofty granite peaks. He excelled at invoking the Lord in thunderous tones and delivered fiery sermons warning about the evils of “the demon drink,’ and promoted an oath of abstinence for the sake of our salvation. I had much in common with my fellow adventurers, but two attributes distinguished me; I could hold my drink and went unarmed.

   A man nearby said: ‘The pastor can’t stay away from towns like Steamboat.’ 

His immediate neighbour said, ‘He acts like he’s untouchable, don’t he?’

   ‘Are you taking the Son of God over them mountains?’ 

   ‘I can’t afford to take the son of God with me anymore.’

   ‘What about your church subscriptions?’

   ‘I’ve been making offerings every day.’

   ‘I expect you’ll be covered, then.’

   ‘An umbrella’d be more use.’

   ‘Better still a canoe.’

   ‘Have you witnessed such a place for rain, stranger?’

I’d been watching the pastor when he spoke and turning said, ‘I’ve just arrived, so I’m unfamiliar with the climate here.’

   ‘Well, it beats all the weather I’ve ever seen before.’

I nodded. 

   An enormous man with an ankle-length waxed duster appeared in the tent’s entrance. He removed his hat to chase off the rain and raked a clawed hand through his lank hair and thick beard. Even without his hat, he was head and shoulders above the average height. His deep-set, smouldering eyes scanned the crowd in the marquee as if assessing potential challengers. He clocked the pastor, replaced his hat and edged closer to the front.

   The pastor spotted the stranger working his way through the congregation and his nostrils flared. The stranger narrowed his eyes and fixed his gaze on Colquhoun as he approached him. Words failed the pastor and his jaw flapped loose like a drooping sole under a worn out shoe. He stopped the sermon and stared at the intruder. There was no sound within the tent. All eyes watched the confrontation unfold in frozen moments. Those in the giant’s path to the pulpit withdrew like the biblical waters of the red sea. When he reached the pastor, he turned to face the congregation. His face was expressionless and, after a rasping cough, he held out his hands.

   ‘Ladies and gentlemen, I feel it is my duty to inform you that the man holding this service today is an imposter. He holds no papers of divinity from any recognised institution or college. It’s obvious that he has only committed to memory a few passages from the good-book to lend credibility to his fraudulent sermons. This creature posing as a church minister is not only illiterate but is also wanted by the law in the states of Colorado, Utah and Nevada.’

   ‘Lies! Lies!’ cried the pastor, thumbing through his opened bible.

   ‘The most recent charges involved girls as young as eleven entrusted to his care who he violated while clothed as of a man of God.’

A moan washed through the assembly like a tidal-bore surging against the current. 

   ‘No, it’s him,’ the pastor said, choking. ‘This is the devil made flesh before you.’

   ‘Let’s hang the monster,’ said a man below the pulpit, turning to address the congregation.

   ‘Not three weeks before this, they ran him out of Holbrook Junction after they caught him “in flagrante” with a goat. Yes, gentlemen, I said, with a goat.’

   ‘I’ll shoot the monstrosity myself,’ said a man, rising at the rear of the marquee, drawing a pistol and firing it above the pulpit. I backed away from the agitated horde, ducked under the canvas, and left the marquee for the hotel across the street.

An exchange of gunfire occurred within the mighty canvas structure, accompanied by screams, yelps, and curses. A dozen exits appeared as people caught within the enclosure hacked and slashed their way through the canvas walls. People poured forth like the water draining from a kitchen colander. Colquhoun’s flock trampled over each other in their panic; women screamed, the elderly stumbled, and the infirm were crushed underfoot in the mud; awful injuries were inevitable in the selfish chaos that ensued. 

#

Once I’d reached safety within the hotel’s vestibule, I turned to face the marquee and witnessed it collapse like an emphysemic lung; its tattered canvas walls deflating and settling on the ground amongst splintered uprights, shattered ridge-poles and useless guy-ropes. 

   When I entered the hotel’s saloon, the giant man in the battered duster was leaning forward with his hands placed flat on the mahogany bar. He was talking to the proprietor as I wandered over and ordered a whisky. I lay my money down on the polished surface, but the barman pushed it back.

   ‘This one’s on the Mr Delaney,’ he said, nodding in the giant’s direction.

Mr Delaney raised his glass to me and sipped his liquor. He then resumed his conversation with the manager, regaining his composure after his incendiary rhetoric.         

   Soon afterwards, men were piling through the doorway, mud-splattered, swearing under their breath and nursing their wounds. They’d hounded the pastor out of town and others were hunting him down.

   ‘How come you had information about the bible-basher?’

   ‘Information?’ said Delaney.

   ‘When were you in Holbrook Junction?’

   ‘Holbrook Junction?’

   ‘How come you knew all that dirt on him?’

   ‘You mean the Pastor Colquhoun?’

   ‘Yes.’ I said. ‘It sounds like you were in Holbrook Junction too.’

   ‘I’ve never been to Holbrook Junction and doubt he has either.’

I sipped my whiskey. ‘Well, where was it you knew him?’

   ‘I never laid eyes on the pastor before today.’

   ‘You never heard of him?’

Delaney tipped back his shot glass and finished his drink. 

There was silence in the room. The bewildered survivors looked at each other. They furrowed their brows and shrugged. One man laughed out loud. Then another. The entire room fell about in laughter. Someone bought Delaney a drink.


The End






July 01, 2023 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Martin Ross
15:10 Aug 09, 2023

What a great sense of time and place, and your attention to period details really creates imagery and feel. I could almost hear the squeaky creak of the big man’s waxed duster. You really bring home just how the clergy exploits and manipulates the susceptible especially in challenging environments. Not to mention referencing history without a hammer to the head. Great work.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:40 Aug 10, 2023

Hey Martin, Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my story. I had a lot of fun working on this one and paring down superfluous details until I had enough to tell the story but not enough to distract from the narrative. Hopefully I got the balance to work well; the trick is knowing when to stop and listen to the words. I find that reading it out loud helps determine that point…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
20:30 Jul 06, 2023

I think you've captured the time and place exquisitely. I've been to Donner Pass and am fascinated by that bit of history mostly because it tells a story so different from the ones we are used to hearing in the United States. I was flabbergasted to see a monument to Donner when they in fact failed to reach the pass before they were snowed in and many in the party perished, leaving the remaining party members to resort to cannibalism, all because Donner did not heed the warnings about taking the Hastings cutoff. Not the usual hero story we ar...

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:36 Jul 07, 2023

Hey Wally, Thanks for reading my story and leaving your thoughts. Just to pick up on a couple of points you mentioned: I had the Donner party in mind when I wrote this story and in fact referred to the Donner pass by it’s original name; Stephen’s pass, which placed it in the original context. I have relations who travelled from Liverpool to Sacramento on the Truckee trail I mentioned, although it was well established when they made their voyage at the end of the 19th century. If you’re interested in the subject, may I recommend the followin...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
04:59 Jul 07, 2023

That's fascinating. Liverpool? Where is that? I know where Livermore is. Either way well established or not, any trail through the Sierras would be no picnic. You must come from a hardy lot. Looking forward to picking up the book and reading more. My mother told me she went to boarding school with a girl named Donner who was a decendant of the family. I would have liked to read her family diaries!

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:07 Jul 07, 2023

Hi Wally, I mentioned Liverpool which was once a major transit port on the west coast of northern England; famous more recently for The Beatles. My relative’s diaries of crossing the Atlantic and travelling across the American continent are a fascinating and intriguing read; a primitive journey at best but with six children in tow, it was miraculous that they arrived in Sacramento. Oh, and my great-great-grandmother gave birth to a seventh child just as they reached their goal…. HH

Reply

Wally Schmidt
16:07 Jul 07, 2023

Now that seems like a story that needs to be written (and read). I hope you are working on it Howard! When I saw 'Liverpool', I thought you couldn't possibly be talking about THE Liverpool. Long before I was married I had a roomate in Paris whose brother lived in Liverpool. Whenever he came to visit us she would need to translate for me. Sadly I never could catch on to the Liverpudlian accent.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:45 Jul 07, 2023

I’m working on it…. And, yes, I agree the “scouse” accent is almost impenetrable even for a British native :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:36 Jul 04, 2023

Howard, now that was funny. The power of the rumour-mill and someone who has no conscience about what he spreads. Inciting a mob is easy in a small town it seems in this one. The credibility comes from the stranger who knows the places nearby who then strings the preacher into a wild story for each one of those places. Such a great story Howard. Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:36 Jul 05, 2023

Hey Lily, Thank you for your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and relieved it all made sense. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:12 Jul 04, 2023

I love the opening paragraph and there are some wonderful turns of phrase. I got a little lost with the rest I'm afraid. . .

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:34 Jul 05, 2023

Hi Katharine, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m sorry if you found it confusing, however I appreciate the honest feedback and welcome further discussion on the matter. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:48 Jul 03, 2023

So who actually was the con man? Just shows the power of one well placed rumour. A well told story. I enjoyed he description of the pastor’s assistants. -“I waited with others hoping for a brief moment of attention when his beguiling coterie circulated amongst us, collecting tokens of our appreciation.” A great, fast paced story of human mob mentality.

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:04 Jul 03, 2023

Hey Michelle, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback and comments. It’s one of those tales that has a terrible ring of truth and yet I can only imagine the lawlessness of pioneering in those times. My relatives in Sacramento have interesting tales and records of travelling the Truckee route at the turn of the C19th and C20th; a regular road had been established at that point, because of the pioneers who’d forged a passage 50 years before. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:17 Jul 02, 2023

What woe one rumor hath wrought!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.