Title: The Tea House in Kyoto

Written in response to: Make Japan (or Japanese culture) an element of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Title: The Tea House in Kyoto

As soon as she stepped onto the platform at Kyoto Station, Sarah knew she was in a completely different world. The station was bustling with people, but they all moved with a certain grace and politeness that she had never seen before. She took a deep breath and reminded herself that she was here to learn, to immerse herself in the culture of Japan and come back home with a new perspective.

Sarah was a graduate student studying anthropology, and her focus was on the tea ceremony in Japan. She had read countless books and articles about it, but she knew that to truly understand it, she needed to experience it firsthand. So, she had applied for a study abroad program and had been accepted to study at a traditional tea house in Kyoto.

As she walked through the city, Sarah was struck by the beauty of her surroundings. The streets were lined with cherry blossom trees, their delicate pink petals falling gently to the ground. She could hear the sound of a koto, a traditional Japanese instrument, being played somewhere nearby. The air was filled with the scent of incense and the sound of chattering voices in Japanese.

Sarah found the tea house easily enough, thanks to the detailed instructions her program coordinator had given her. The tea house was a traditional Japanese building, with sliding doors and tatami mats on the floor. A small garden with a pond and a bridge was visible through the open doors. Sarah felt a thrill of excitement as she stepped inside.

She was greeted by a woman in a kimono, who introduced herself as Yuki. Yuki spoke excellent English, and Sarah was relieved to be able to communicate easily with her. Yuki explained that the tea house was run by a family who had been practicing the tea ceremony for generations. Sarah would be living with the family during her stay, and would be learning from the master of the house, a man named Takashi.

Over the next few days, Sarah settled into her new routine. She would wake up early and help Yuki with the chores around the tea house, cleaning the floors and preparing the tea. Then, she would spend several hours each day studying the tea ceremony with Takashi. The ceremony was intricate and precise, with every movement and gesture carrying a specific meaning. Sarah struggled at first, her fingers fumbling as she tried to remember the correct way to hold the teapot and pour the tea. But Takashi was patient and kind, and she soon began to get the hang of it.

In the afternoons, Sarah was free to explore Kyoto. She visited temples and shrines, watched a traditional Noh performance, and even tried her hand at making sushi. Everywhere she went, she was struck by the beauty and serenity of Japanese culture. She began to feel like she was part of something larger than herself, something ancient and profound.

One day, as Sarah was walking through the city, she came across a small park. In the center of the park was a cherry blossom tree, its branches heavy with pink flowers. Underneath the tree, a group of elderly Japanese men and women were sitting, sipping tea and chatting quietly. Sarah felt a sudden urge to join them.

She approached the group tentatively, bowing politely. The elderly people smiled at her and gestured for her to sit down. Yuki had taught her the proper way to sit on a tatami mat, so Sarah did her best to arrange herself gracefully. The elderly people offered her a cup of tea, which she accepted gratefully.

For a while, they sat in silence, sipping their tea and enjoying the beauty of the cherry blossom tree. Then, one of the men spoke up. "You are from America, yes?" he asked in broken English.

Sarah nodded. "Yes, I The man smiled at her kindly. "You are welcome here," he said. "We are happy to share our tea with you."

Sarah felt a warmth spread through her chest. She had never felt so welcomed before. The group began to chat, with Yuki translating for Sarah when necessary. They asked her about her studies, and she explained her interest in the tea ceremony. They nodded in understanding, and one of the women offered to show her a different type of tea ceremony that was practiced in her hometown.

Sarah spent the afternoon with the group, learning about their lives and sharing her own experiences. She felt like she had discovered a new family, a group of people who welcomed her with open arms. As the sun began to set, the group began to pack up their things. Before they left, they each hugged Sarah tightly, thanking her for spending time with them.

As Sarah walked back to the tea house, she felt a sense of peace and contentment. She had never felt so connected to a group of people before. She knew that her time in Japan was drawing to a close, but she also knew that the lessons she had learned would stay with her forever.

On her last day in Kyoto, Sarah was scheduled to perform a tea ceremony for the master of the tea house, Takashi. She had been practicing for weeks, and she felt confident in her abilities. She wore a traditional kimono, her hair arranged in a neat bun. She entered the tea room, feeling a sense of calm wash over her.

Takashi sat across from her, his eyes fixed on her movements. Sarah began the ceremony, pouring the tea with a steady hand and following the prescribed movements. When she finished, Takashi nodded approvingly.

"You have learned well," he said. "But remember, the tea ceremony is not about perfection. It is about sharing a moment with another person, about finding beauty in the simplicity of a cup of tea."

Sarah nodded, feeling tears well up in her eyes. She realized that she had been so focused on learning the movements and gestures of the tea ceremony that she had forgotten the true purpose of it. She had forgotten the importance of connection and community.

As she packed her bags and said goodbye to Yuki and Takashi, Sarah felt a sense of gratitude for everything she had learned in Japan. She knew that she would miss the cherry blossom trees and the sound of the koto, but she also knew that she would carry the lessons she had learned with her for the rest of her life.

March 27, 2023 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.